Top 5 Photographic Mistakes My Friends Make That Drive Me Crazy:
1. Bumping up the ISO to the max the camera allows: Just because your prosumer camera can do 6400, doesn't mean you should.
2. Using a wide lens to photograph people: This makes people look fat. For heaven's sake do not put someone on the edge of the composition when shooting with a 10mm lens.
3. Photographing people from below: This goes hand-and-hand with #2. Friends don't give friends double chins.
4. Taking too long to post-process and upload: If it's more than 3 days after the event, I have lost interest. Do it quick, or bury the photos for eternity. No one wants to check out your niece's dog's christening ceremony from four months ago.
5. Spamming media channels with a million shots instead of culling it down to your top one or two: Seriously, just stop.
Last edited by Courtney; 03-23-2012 at 03:41 PM.
great tips courtney!
Hahaaa. Crushing blows?
I admit that it is tempting and sometimes I am guilty of this too. But I try not to be.
i'm pretty sure you are aware of the mass amounts i don't post. You helped me improve on the speed issue when it comes to posting pictures in a timely fashion. That's the whole motivation for the first picture thread i make for Coachella. The one i am still working on is like the complete director's cut. i really restricted myself with GV30. Only 30 pictures a night and posted the next morning. Thanks Courtney and you get a raspberry too (tongue sticking out and making a raspberry noise).
Last edited by ivankay; 03-24-2012 at 10:28 AM.
It's like Lord of the Rings. Snice. Your flickr didn't indicate what camera was used. Would this be your G12? i am impressed with what you have been doing with it.
it doesn't? thats weird. no this is my D90. my G12 was acting up so i took it to best buy for repairs...they told me i had the option of getting store credit instead of replacing it so i took it and so now i am waiting for the G1X to come out. pretty excited to get my hands on that.
It does look pretty sweet. What were some of the problems the G12 was giving you?
thanks. my G12 wasn't focusing/zooming correctly and after a continuous shooting none of my menu options would come up, it would just freeze.
it was a great little camera until it started acting up, i'm going to miss it. here is one of the last shots i took with it:
Saul Williams At El Rey Theatre 2012 by corboamnesiac, on Flickr
That is a bummer. Thankfully mine hasn't gone bonkers. Great shot.
My camera was getting lens errors when taking video and that screwed me over on a couple of occasions. Its gotten back to behaving normally though. Also, I think one of my memory cards just cant deal with the continuous shooting I do sometimes. Hopefully I wont have this problem in 3 weeks...
I went to Joshua Tree earlier this week on a really short trip. Here's some pics.
where we camped
And i have a question for you canon users. What lenses would you guys recommend on buying. I would want one decent zoom lens and one really good prime lens without breaking the bank. All i have right now is a kit lens and an EF 50mm f/1.8. I've always read that lenses really make a difference, so i thought it might be time for me to upgrade.
Edward, do it.
Beautiful pictures, Corbo and ambient.
I would consider traveling part of the "event." So, if you're traveling to Europe and go to Glasto, the trip is the "event." You should aim to post photos within three days of returning home.
There's some flexibility there, but I think it's a good general guideline in all but the most extreme cases.
I certainly lose motivation to post if I don't get it done right away.