Disney Music Hall
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Default Re: Photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Geno_g View Post
    El Toro

These are some pics I took last month at the SubZEROFestival in San Jose. These were all shot using my Nikon FE SLR with a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens. They were shot on Kodak Portra 800 film and scanned with a Canon CanoScan 8800F using a Lomo DigitaLIZA film scanning mask.

SubZero2012_2_cc by Shane Hagerty, on Flickr

SubZero2012_12_cc by Shane Hagerty, on Flickr

SubZero2012_16_cc by Shane Hagerty, on Flickr

SubZero2012_17_cc by Shane Hagerty, on Flickr

SubZero2012_24_cc by Shane Hagerty, on Flickr

SubZero2012_32_cc by Shane Hagerty, on Flickr

SubZero2012_30_cc by Shane Hagerty, on Flickr

SubZero2012_25_cc by Shane Hagerty, on Flickr

Exit Photography
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

One of my facebook friends posted this. I think it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    One of my facebook friends posted this. I think it's awesome.

Albeit a very cliche photographer's self portrait, it reminded me of this which I love to no end.

Cool photos, sk8r.

Miramar Air Show
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

the wedge
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

the wedge
    .. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

From the weekend

no clouds by corboamnesiac, on Flickr

Still by corboamnesiac, on Flickr

FYF:

Gold Panda @ FYF by corboamnesiac, on Flickr
    Last edited by corbo; 09-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    <schedule_2013>
    St Vincent 3/19, Cut Copy 3/31, The Knife 4/9, Mogwai 4/15, Pixies 4/17
    </schedule>

b/w binge

I need some serious advice from you guys. I recently switched to mac and I noticed that alot of the pictures i had taken in the past did not look the same at all on my new mac. This lead me to the discovery of Color calibration on a monitor. I can't believe i had never even thought of that to begin with (fucking digital age.) I always tend to walk that thin line of having to much contrast in my images, so its a really important for me to see the right or even "real" colors;which probably isn't really possible with digital because people will always be seeing a different image than intended because of the display they use to view images on the internet. I looked up color calibration and there seems to be alot of different programs to calibrate your monitor. I tried to manually calibrate my pc and mac monitors but they still didnt match up. So i was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for software/hardware.

Anyway, I went to Echo Park rising a few weeks ago and took a couple pictures.

I also messed around with trying to get double exposures with digital during the day. The pictures ended up looking like a paintings, which is actually pretty cool.
    Last edited by ambient sounds; 09-17-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Been a while since I've posted in here. I upgraded to a 5D MkII not too long ago
    Where's Underworld and Mew? Make it happen GV.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ambient sounds View Post
    people will always be seeing a different image than intended because of the display they use to view images on the internet.
    this always bothers me too.

i dont know why it took me this long to upgrade to Photoshop CS6

Sunken City HDR by corboamnesiac, on Flickr
    <schedule_2013>
    </schedule>

Quote Originally Posted by Derekx View Post
    Been a while since I've posted in here. I upgraded to a 5D MkII not too long ago
    Shouldve waited for the 6D? Looks like the MK II is gonna get phased out. Still kicks ass though.

Quote Originally Posted by ambient sounds View Post
    people will always be seeing a different image than intended because of the display they use to view images on the internet. I
    I have had to get used to what I see on my lcd screen will look pretty different when I load it onto my computer. Did you get a desktop mac or a laptop? Retina display? In my experience of editing on a mac, I know the display is throwing things off like nobodys business, but you just deal with it as best you can. If you could have your old set up next to yoru mac and be able to set it so you can see photos how you used to and be able to edit them better, go for it. If not cause you took it all apart or something, the calibration seems to have done its best for you. I kind of hate the fact that if you get a high end monitor, it will probably make photos you took look better than they actually are just because of the display. Thats gonna distort what you did moreso than anything.
    Last edited by suprefan; 09-21-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Shouldve waited for the 6D? Looks like the MK II is gonna get phased out. Still kicks ass though.
    6D is out of my price range. I got a good deal on the 5D, I'm satisfied with it.
    Where's Underworld and Mew? Make it happen GV.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I finally pulled the trigger on the Canon Rebel t3i. My only camera experience prior to this purchase has been low end point and shoots and cell phone crap. I've started watching youtube vids for pointers and i'm considering a class sometime next year. I also have no experience with photoshop but i'm going to see what I can learn through youtube on that as well. In the mean time i've started taking photos around the neighborhood. I have the standard lens and the 250mm lens. I mosly photograph landscapes, buildings and people. Here we have ducks and a few macro shots. I've been going back and forth between the auto focus and pre sets while also switching the ISO manually. I've yet to mess with apature or shutter speeds.

that's great faxman keep at it, i like that car shot.
    i'd recommend getting a 50mm 1.8, its a great inexpensive prime lens good for beginners

Santa Monica Pier by corboamnesiac, on Flickr

L.A. SUNSET by corboamnesiac, on Flickr

A Walk In The Park by corboamnesiac, on Flickr

pelican by corboamnesiac, on Flickr
    Last edited by corbo; 10-05-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    <schedule_2013>
    </schedule>

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post

I have had to get used to what I see on my lcd screen will look pretty different when I load it onto my computer. Did you get a desktop mac or a laptop? Retina display? In my experience of editing on a mac, I know the display is throwing things off like nobodys business, but you just deal with it as best you can. If you could have your old set up next to yoru mac and be able to set it so you can see photos how you used to and be able to edit them better, go for it. If not cause you took it all apart or something, the calibration seems to have done its best for you. I kind of hate the fact that if you get a high end monitor, it will probably make photos you took look better than they actually are just because of the display. Thats gonna distort what you did moreso than anything.
    Sorry for the really late reply. I got a normal macbook pro. The retina display looked nice but way to expensive. I've ended up still suing my old laptop for photo editing primarily because i like GIMP alot more than photoshop. Ive also have gotten the calibrations to match each other close enough where it doesn't completely bug me anymore. But I'll still probably end up buying some calibration system and see how that works out.

Since I've got your attention supre, and this goes for anyone else in the area, I was wondering if you knew any good online music magazines. I've been wanting to try shooting live shows for a music publication or something but i dont really know of any. i was hoping you could tell me some good ones to apply to.

Quote Originally Posted by corbo View Post

L.A. SUNSET by corboamnesiac, on Flickr
    that sky

It more of asking, or having something to give them initially. Also, a good way to start would be if you had friends who were in bands. Ask them if you could take photos at their shows. Also, I mean, how good are you? Do you feel like you can present some good material to whoever gets you a photo pass to a show? For one of the sites I contribute to, (beats per minute) i used to just send them galleries from shows I went to, and ended up with a lot of good photos that I felt were good enough to be put online.

Yeah i have some friends in a band and I've been taking pictures of them lately.(there's pictures in that link in my signature)But they're still really small and play at shows where the lighting isn't the best at all. I would want to get a photo pass so i could take pictures under real lights and see what I can do with that. Im not really that great yet but i think I've got exposing the image correctly down. I just need to really work on my composure and see what works and what doesn't. I also need to stop being a pussy when i take pictures at local shows. But I hate feeling like that douchebag thats trying to take pictures but is also getting in the way of everyone else who is trying to enjoy the show. I have to find that thin in between line. But thanks I'll take your advice on just send pictures to different sites. I just need to find some.
    Last edited by ambient sounds; 10-06-2012 at 11:07 AM.

.. __o
    .. -\ <,
    ..(_)/(_)

Wyoming photos from last weekend....

Last edited by corbo; 10-28-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    <schedule_2013>
    </schedule>