Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone help me explain hatred...

Talking Someone help me explain hatred...

for the band Nickelback.

I have this friend who was looking over my shoulder the other day while I was on the forums here. He saw the now infamous Brochella poster and said "Nickelback is playing Coachella?! Cool." (He only knows what Coachella is because I've told him, and as you've already grasped from his quotes, his music taste is awful.) I replied with "No they aren't, thank god" and he promptly went on to ask me why I hated the band.

So it left me thinking, how can one possibly put into words the complete garbage that is the band Nickelback??
    Last edited by Carnie100; 01-23-2009 at 01:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lizng View Post
    Nickelback to me is like walking into an ethnic restaurant and asking to have some unoriginal American cuisine like chicken tenders with a side of ranch dressing.

Default Re: Someone help me explain hatred...

hatred defined....

It's his hair.

i think just saying they are terrible is enough explanation needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Make up rumors of who's playing > keep track of who's confirmed > whine about where the lineup is > lineup announced! > bitch about how the lineup sucks > whine about what bands will be added > bands finally added! > whine about where set times are > set times finally announced! > bitch about how set times suck > goto show > come back and say Coachella was best ever! > start rumors for next year

show him the NPR recording of the 2 songs overlapping.

They're unoriginal, uncreative, and appeal to the most unimaginative music consumer possible. They're the sugar-free, fat-free vanilla ice cream of rock.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by who8me2k7 View Post
    show him the NPR recording of the 2 songs overlapping.
    What was that? I must've missed it.
    Nickelback to me is like walking into an ethnic restaurant and asking to have some unoriginal American cuisine like chicken tenders with a side of ranch dressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnie100 View Post
    What was that? I must've missed it.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4258547

Wow. Interesting read. Thanks for that.

I am known by how much I hate Nickelback. I am introduced as the girl who hates Nickelback.

I'm beyond being able to articulate my rabid hatred for that band.

Someday, I'm going to set fire to Chad Kroeger's stupid man-perm.
    Last edited by MissingPerson; 01-22-2009 at 04:34 PM.

YEAH! that's what I'm talking about- it's hard to describe why you hate Nickelback and in some essence, mainstream music all together. It's also hard trying not to come across as a music prude when talking about the above.

Well, for one thing, this:

I think Cormac McCarthy said it best.

Quote Originally Posted by The Road
    Are we going in?
    Yes.

The boy did not protest aloud. Unease plain on his face all the same.

We have to.
    I know.

It was a store. The doors had been forced, the windows smashed, and anything of value was probably long since gone. He did not expect to find much of use, almost certainly no food. Still, they would search. They had to, he knew.

There was a thick cloak of dust all around, and he saw no footprints. It had gathered in ashy drifts from the broken windows, Perhaps, he thought, there was something left; perhaps it had not been looted since less desperate times.

The inside of the store was curiously intact, and in the dim light he was slow to see why. It had been a music store. There was nothing on these shelves worth carrying it's weight; no food nor had there ever been, and little else that could be of use. He was long since weary of disappointment, and this one held little novelty.

At some point in the past, the sprinklers had gone off, and the water had bleached streaks down the labels and displays before it had dried away. CDs still stacked in neat, dusty rows.

The dead relics of an alien world. This world had no music. None to be made, and no one to hear, even if the means still existed to play it.

Sometimes, from the mountains, he had heard drums in the distance. But it was only a base, brutal rhythm and it served a purpose. What purpose that was, what happened in the thrall of it's beat, he did not care to know. He only knew that it was not music. It was the heartbeat of some terrible animal, a beast that could only live in the midst a world where all else was dead.

There was a time when he sang lullabies - when the child was too young to speak - but they were for his own benefit. Bravado in the face of the lonely silence. Once, he tried to describe some of the music he had heard in his life to the boy, but found he could not find the right words. It was a language of it's own, impossible to describe or express or explain why it had ever mattered.

And anyway, that knowledge had no worth now.

Music then, was dead too. It had ended. These shelves held only the records if it's extinction, man-made fossils to long outlast the men who had made them. Soon there would be no-one left to recognise them as even that.

There's nothing out here. I'm going to check the back.
    Okay.

He gave the boy the pistol.
    You can see right down the road from the window. I'll be able to hear you if you call.
    The boy nodded wordlessly, his eyes already going to the road.

Out back, there was a locker room for the staff, and a larger room for storage. There was no other door.

The store room promised little, and indeed he found nothing there. The other room had already been ransacked, every locker forced open with clumsy violence. He found a pair of gloves, lost and forgotten, down behind one bank of lockers. He put them in his pocket. There was nothing else.

He returned to find the boy examining a CD case.

Is it music? asked the boy, as if he understood what the word meant.

The man took the case, and brushed the dust from the cover.

No. Oh God no, this is just Nickelback.

lmfao. I've been meaning to read that book for a long time now. That excerpt is really convincing.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    They're unoriginal, uncreative, and appeal to the most unimaginative music consumer possible. They're the sugar-free, fat-free vanilla ice cream of rock.
    Exactly. Add on that oh-so-adorable rock star persona and you've got quite the gaggle of douche-bags. And surprise-surprise, their fans are a mirror image.

The "How You Remind Me of Someday" mashup:

http://www3.telus.net/jefmil/2005/02...%20Someday.mp3
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

Quote Originally Posted by Carnie100 View Post
    YEAH! that's what I'm talking about- it's hard to describe why you hate Nickelback and in some essence, mainstream music all together. It's also hard trying not to come across as a music prude when talking about the above.
    is that to say then you hate coldplay, radiohead, mmj, tvotr, they are the mainstream music today on most of the radio stations i listen to .... i dont hate any band, i dislike a bunch .... if you can play an instument or sing better then i can, its hard to actually hate the music ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    is that to say then you hate coldplay, radiohead, mmj, tvotr, they are the mainstream music today on most of the radio stations i listen to .... i dont hate any band, i dislike a bunch .... if you can play an instument or sing better then i can, its hard to actually hate the music ... cr****
    I said in some essence.
    And no I don't hate everything played on the radio.

old school

WTF does cr**** mean?!?!?!?!?!?

tell him ur mom. that's all those people understand.
    i can go with the flow.

I classify them as that "Radio Band." Those radio bands all sound the same, nickleback, seether, whoever the fuck else. They all have that low grungy voice and cannot produce an original song to save their life, and yet they get constant air play.

Quote Originally Posted by KatieLyn View Post
    I classify them as that "Radio Band." Those radio bands all sound the same, nickleback, seether, whoever the fuck else. They all have that low grungy voice and cannot produce an original song to save their life, and yet they get constant air play.
    katie, that is because they sell a zillion records .... i mean this , most of the people here have better taste then the sheep but i would take the money that nickleback made over daft punk or AC anyday .. cr***

how many hits has zep or jimi or any of them ever had, one or two ... just saying
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Nickleback makes the music your parents' friends love. They appeal to the people of the world that enjoy sameness and unoriginality. Those afraid of change clamor for Nickleback because everything they "create" sounds only slightly different than something else they've "created". They are the scourge of the earth for that reason, and many many others.

if he doesn't hate after listening to them, well then....he's a lost cause

Quote Originally Posted by deeznutz View Post
    if he doesn't hate after listening to them, well then....he's a lost cause
    It's true. I have friends that still like Nickleback even after I explain that carcinogenic filth they call music is poisoning them slowly. I weep for these friends every night.

I personally cannot wait for Viggo Mortensen to dish out the 'No it's just nickelback' line in The Roadadaptation; looking just like the singer himself haha

Nickelback to me is like walking into an ethnic restaurant and asking to have some unoriginal American cuisine like chicken tenders with a side of ranch dressing. It's for the lazies that don't want to put forth the effort to branch out and try something new. Nickelback keeps churning out these "songs" that they probably don't write and people eat them up because they're retarded and satisfied with predictably formulated music. So satisfied, that they buy up crap by Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy and all of the other artists on the Brochella lineup. On the other hand, can you really blame the "artists"... they make mega cash while putting forth little creative effort and get to bang out hot groupies on the regular. It's all fucked, I say.

Nickelback to me is like walking into an ethnic restaurant and asking to have some unoriginal American cuisine like chicken tenders with a side of ranch dressing. It's for the lazies that don't want to put forth the effort to branch out and try something new. Nickelback keeps churning out these "songs" that they probably don't write and people eat them up because they're retarded and satisfied with predictably formulated music. So satisfied, that they buy up crap by Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy and all of the other artists on the Brochella lineup. On the other hand, can you really blame the "artists"... they make mega cash while putting forth little creative effort and get to bang out hot groupies on the regular. It's all fucked, I say.

I'm going to signature the first line here. Absolutely dead on.

Thanks guys, you've given me a nice onslaught of how much Nickelback sucks. Unfortunately, my friend being a strongly conservative Christian as well, he doesn't usually understand the other side of things. Explaining why Nickelback sucks won't convince him.

Thanks! Quote away...

Well, maybe after all you can explain to your friend that Nickelback is OK to like. If you're 10 and just learning of this thing known as rock music. I mean, I listened to Nelson and Slaughter at that age but I grew up and ventured out of my comfort zone. There are so many great acts out there that do so many different things and by sticking with cock rock, people really are doing themselves a disservice. He's missing out on some phenomenal music of all different types - try explaining it that way. And being a conservative Christian is no excuse... I'm pretty sure listening to MGMT, Modest Mouse or Portishead won't make him ineligible for kickin' it with the Big Guy in the afterlife.