Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2009 Headliner Discussion

Amneeziac

Default Coachella 2009 Headliner Discussion

For the first year since I've been going to Coachella (not very long, but still), I have absolutely no idea who the headliners are going to be. Here's a list I made of all those I can think of and reasons why (or why not) they would be headlining.

I tried something new for this message board - I gave reasons for why I think bands will be playing or not, and then appropriated rankings from 0 to 10 based on the information I have. You know, you say something and then explain it? I know, a foreign concept to most people here. But try and understand it, it's quite ingenious.

Feel free to comment on this list, and by comment I don't mean compliment or deride. I mean contribute in a constructive way. Here are some ways you can do that: provide information regarding any of the bands/artists listed below that either helps or hurts their chances of headlining the festival, suggest another band or artist that could possibly headline the festival, debate with others (myself included) reasons why bands/artists will be playing the festival or not. In doing so, you will help increase the knowledge of the people on this board. I will continuously update this list with any information that is posted or comes my way via other channels.

The Killers - 7.9
    Reports of band members confirming in conversations with fans that they would be headlining, open tour dates, new album out recently. Relatively weak band for a headliner, commercially successful but not very reputable in the tradition of Coachella headliners. However, Jack Johnson was a weak headliner and not in the tradition of Coachella, and he headlined.

Neil Young - 6.7
    Canceled L.A. show last year, hasn't ever played Coachella, actively touring in 2009.

Blur - 6.1
    Recently reunited, UK dates on the horizon, Coachella tradition to premiere reunited bands. But they are a famously British rock band and may not want to make live comeback in America.

Jane's Addiction - 6.1
    Perry Farrell has performed at every Coachella in some form or another, the band reunites for the occasional show (and paycheck), 10th anniversary of the festival. However, technically disbanded at the moment, no new material released for six years

Pearl Jam
    Hasn't ever played Coachella (technically has played the polo grounds), working on a new album, plans to tour in 2009.

Coldplay - 5.6
    New material in 2008, plans to tour pretty extensively in 2009, will do anything and go anywhere to promote themselves.

Beck - 5.5
    New album in 2008, headlined the first Coachella, actively touring in 2009. It's public knowledge that Coachella is looking to book low-cost headliners, and Beck would certainly headline for less than most.

The Flaming Lips - 5.5
    A good low-cost headliner that perfectly fits the Coachella vibe, plans to tour in 2009.

The White Stripes - 5.4
    Canceled west coast tour in 2007, Meg White recently came onstage at a Raconteurs concert (June 2008, Detroit show), new album in the works. Meg White has "acute anxiety," no plans to tour at all

Nine Inch Nails - 5.3
    New material probably being released while I'm typing this, plans to tour in 2009.

R.E.M. - 5.2
    New album released last year, haven't ever played Coachella

My Bloody Valentine - 5.1
    Recently reunited, toured extensively and backed out of playing Coachella in 2008, haven't ever played Coachella, public knowledge that festival organizer wants/wanted them to headline, confirmed to be playing a festival or two (not Coachella... yet) in 2009.

David Bowie - 5.0
    The most requested headliner for Coachella that hasn't ever played, no plans to tour, but hasn't denied playing Coachella as he did last year on his official website.

Paul McCartney / The Fireman - 5.0
    Released an album in 2007, and another under a different name in 2008, hasn't ever played Coachella, no plans to tour.

Radiohead - 5.0
    Released an album in 2007/2008, plans to tour in Spring 2009 in South America and Mexico, the most requested headliner for Coachella excluding David Bowie, have a good relationship with Goldenvoice considering they headlined two nights of All Points West last year. Although they did tour the U.S. extensively in 2008, a one-off show in 2009 is a major get for a festival.

U2 - 5.0
    Namedropped by Kevin Bronson, former reporter at the L.A. Times and still very active in music journalism. New album out in Spring 2009. A strange pick to be at Coachella.

Oasis - 4.9
    Released an album in 2008, extensive tour in 2009 although no U.S. dates announced. Honestly, nobody wants them to play.

The Cure - 4.8
    New album released last year, toured in 2008, a few tour dates in 2009, rumors of another new album in Summer 2009.

Foo Fighters - 4.8
    Greatest Hits album being released in March 2009, confirmed to be on hiatus by Dave Grohl for what sounds like a decade or so.

No Doubt - 4.7
    Recently reunited, plans to tour extensively in 2009, haven't ever played Coachella, confirmed to be playing a couple Bro/KROQ/Douchebagesque festivals, will most likely headline KROQ's Weenie Roast in May (in Southern California).

Muse - 4.5
    Have been recording a new album off and on since August 2008, plan to have an album out in second half of 2009. Played almost too much in the Southern California in 2007, and toured in 2008 as well.

Bruce Springsteen - 4.0
    Bonnaroo reportedly has him, doubtful that Coachella would pick him up simply because he so well fits Bonnaroo and clashes somewhat with Coachella's vibe.

Daft Punk - 3.7
    Album has been in the works since May 2008, and who knows if anything else. A Daft Punk headlining performance would be a major surprise.

Smashing Pumpkins - 3.6
    Haven't ever played Coachella, have lost much credibility and popularity over the years, recently toured what was reported to be a sort of "Worst of the Smashing Pumpkins" show.

Kanye West - 3.5
    Played the festival circuit in 2008, continues to tour extensively in 2009. New album released in late 2008, continues to gain in popularity.

Gorillaz - 3.2
    Looks unlikely considering Blur's newly reunited status, plans for a world tour in 2007/2008 were scrapped, Damon Albarn's numerous projects are a bit of a mess right now with the only clear one being Blur, although the most recent reports indicate the beginning of a new Gorillaz album in January 2009.

Outkast - 3.2
    Another highly requested band to headline Coachella, haven't ever played Coachella, plans to release several albums both separately (as Andre 3000 and Big Boi) and together in 2009. No plans to tour so far, and reportedly do not enjoy touring.

Green Day - 2.6
    Haven't ever played Coachella, and hopefully never will. A last resort of sorts, but a new album is planned for release in April 2009.

Jay-Z - 2.4
    Following Glastonbury's lead, this would be a surprising but not necessarily disappointing choice in headliner.

Led Zeppelin - 2.4
    There are heavy rumors of plans to tour without Robert Plant. Realistically, it's doubtful a world tour would be ready in time for Coachella.

The Smiths - 2.3
    Another very highly requested reunion. Morrissey's tour dates indicate a Coachella performance, rumors of The Smiths reuniting (or not) at Coachella have been published in various trashy newspapers, public knowledge that festival organizer Paul Tollett for years has offered a hefty sum for The Smiths to headline, but AEG Live CEO recently stated that the festival will probably feel the economic crunch, and won't be paying up the wazoo for headliners in 2009 (like they did for Prince and Roger Waters in 2008).

Soundgarden - 1.1
    Absolutely no plans or rumors of this happening other than fan's wishes.

Talking Heads - 0.9
    Not even any rumors of this happening, and the fans know better for the most part.
    Last edited by Amneeziac; 01-07-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Default Re: Coachella 2009 Headliner Discussion

jesus fucking christ...

having The Smiths, Gorillaz, Outkast, & Muse more likely than Bruce Springsteen gives this zero credibility...

don't U2 & Coldplay have a contract with livenation? how does this make them MORE likely than No Doubt, Radiohead, Oasis?

& how the fuck is NIN which has a new album & is touring, less likely than White Stripes who are on hiatus?
    Last edited by Xenocide; 01-06-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Morrissey's in the middle of a his tour and Marr has at least one project in the works, so no to the Smiths.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe View Post
    Here is all I'll say about borders ... the Los Angeles Angels.

Quote Originally Posted by Amneeziac View Post
    Talking Heads - 0.7
    David Byrne doesn't even sing these songs anymore live, does he? He's not all melodramatic like Moz. It's just never gonna happen.
    No, he still performs a large amount of Talking Heads songs at his solo shows.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Amneeziac

I agree with Springsteen being too low and The Smiths being too high. If Live Nation okays it, I'm pretty sure that they can play non-Live Nation events. Meg has shown signs of getting over her bullshit, a new album should be nearing completion by April, and demand for NIN is not where it was four years ago.

And alright, I'll change the Talking Heads description.

Springsteen would do Bonnaroo or Coachella, but not both in the same year. Same with any other headliner except Jack Johnson.

I guess we don't really know the full details about the livenation exclusivity contracts. What happens when a market doesn't have a livenation venue? Could exceptions be made for a fee? We don't really know, do we?

What about The Flaming Lips?
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

I agree with Springsteen being too low and The Smiths being too high. Meg has shown signs of getting over her bullshit, a new album should be nearing completion by April, and demand for NIN is not where it was four years ago.
    oh, yes, if we're ONLY talking about the band BEING a headliner, and not playing coachella, alright... cause there are acts on that list that are more likely to play than others, but less likely to headline

I'm sorry, but how many times can you all discuss the same shit over and over.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Sounds like you spent too much time reading this board and applied arbitrary numbers to names.

I do applaud most creative activities, and this is no exception.
    05-12.2

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

good list...
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    Springsteen would do Bonnaroo or Coachella, but not both in the same year. Same with any other headliner except Jack Johnson.

I guess we don't really know the full details about the livenation exclusivity contracts. What happens when a market doesn't have a livenation venue? Could exceptions be made for a fee? We don't really know, do we?

What about The Flaming Lips?
    The Flaming Lips would be the perfect headliner for Friday.

Pearl Jam should be here somewhere.

Definitely headliner quality. Popped Indio's cherry for concerts at the Polo Grounds with their show there in 1992. New album in the works. A huge draw without the price tag of, say, a Prince or The Smiths, or even U2. Got back to doing festivals the last few years. Plan to tour in 2009.

Slap them with a 5.something and add 'em to the list, please.

Although just my opinion here, I am still amazed at how some people seem to think that even if some of these bands played they would be headliners. I know Jack Johnson threw a wrench in the definition of a "headliner" last year, but on this list, I don't believe the following bands could actually headline:

Blur - sorry to the super fans out there, but I just don't think enough people care in the States and this band has done nothing in years

Jane's Addiction - I personally can't believe anyone would care about this band at all anymore, but maybe I'm completely in the minority here

My Bloody Valentine - a perfect subheadliner...I would not be disappointed if they did headline on Friday, but realistically, I don't think they could anchor one of the nights

Smashing Pumpkins - my absolute favorite band as a teenager, but this last tour crushed their "headliner" status...if they would just embrace their fantastic catalog of albums from the 90s and play material from Adore and earlier, they could survive a lot longer

Gorillaz - again, I know there are some fervent super fans out there that will say otherwise, but could you seriously see this band headlining a major festival? 90% of the crowd will only be aware of maybe 3 songs this band has ever done...and more likely just 1 or 2

Soundgarden - when STP came back, they were not even headlining the festivals they played; on Lolla '96, Soundgarden did not headline

Others I question, but would not surprise me...especially on Friday: No Doubt, Oasis, The Killers

Personally, I think GV is gonna choose a headliner that no one has thought of yet.

Paul McCartney / The Fireman - 5.0
    Released an album in 2007, and another under a different name in 2008, hasn't ever played Coachella, no plans to tour.
    Wasn't there talk recently of McCartney going on a huge two year long farewell tour soon?

10/02 Beck - Stubb's
    10/03 The Preatures - Holy Mountain
    10/11 J Roddy Walston - Stubb's
    11/7,8,9 Fun Fun Fun - Auditorium Shores
    11/17 Blonde Redhead - The Mohawk
    11/23 Caribou, Jessy Lanza - The Mohawk
    11/26 FKA Twigs - The Parish

07, 08, 09, 10, 12.1, 13.1, 14.1

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by mandelbaum View Post
    Smashing Pumpkins - my absolute favorite band as a teenager, but this last tour crushed their "headliner" status...if they would just embrace their fantastic catalog of albums from the 90s and play material from Adore and earlier, they could survive a lot longer
    They played material from Adore and earlier on the entire tour. The problem wasn't ignoring the old material, it was the fans not taking to the new material or anything post adore for that matter. Which is why you got Billy throwing a tantrum. Your post kind of makes billys point. All you want to hear is nostalgia and that's now what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    They played material from Adore and earlier on the entire tour. The problem wasn't ignoring the old material, it was the fans not taking to the new material or anything post adore for that matter. Which is why you got Billy throwing a tantrum. Your post kind of makes billys point. All you want to hear is nostalgia and that's now what they are.

FuckenA man. Anything post Siamese Dream is a fucking joke. I am definitely a nostalgic fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    I swear to god. Harrison Ford better not be fucking dead.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I certainly don't intend on turning this into a Smashing Pumpkins conversation because that seems to really bring out some strong opinions from some people (including myself), but the fact is there is a disconnect between Billy and his fanbase. I know Billy wants to continue to be creative and move forward and all that, but his fans (not the super die hards, but the general public that buys the concert tickets) do not want him to. And ultimately, you either need to give the fans what they want or you end up perishing. Trust me, I have been a die hard Smashing Pumpkins fan since the age of 13, but the more new music they put out, the smaller the fanbase is going to get. I like some of the new stuff here and there, but the general public that buys the concert tickets wants nothing to do with it. Billy can accept that and play the old stuff, or he can continue on his current path and kill the Smashing Pumpkins sooner rather than later.

whiney pain in butt

blah bah blah bah blah.. assplode!!!!!!

Banned

Good morning, angel...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    yeah, i like waking up to dozens of e-mails and pm's...
    Sorry to hear that. TeamCoachellaHellYeah needs to calm down...

What is the most ridiculous offer you have gotten from someone in exchange for info?

I'm totally blind as to how springsteen could possibly headline coachella...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SFChrissy View Post
    Because he is The Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by SFChrissy View Post
    because he can sell out football stadiums:

*based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyWonder View Post
    Wasn't there talk recently of McCartney going on a huge two year long farewell tour soon?

He was also supposed to tour in 2008, but instead just did a handful of one-offs...

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    because he can sell out football stadiums:
    That picture is from New Jersey, where he sold out 3 yet had many more penciled in. His star has fallen further in Southern California where there were thousands of empty seats even with discounted tickets in Anaheim. (I got in for $10 and $20)

Radiohead and some daft punk would be nice.

My money is on these kids. I heard they have a new album out...
    Last edited by Jon Blazed; 01-07-2009 at 02:51 PM.

This is actually pretty brilliant. Thanks for making a read-worthy new Thread.

I think led zeppelin is a legitimate possibility now.

http://absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=783372