Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silverchair's American Redemption.........among Coachella board members

Young blood

Default Re: Silverchair's American Redemption.........among Coachella board members

grunge/emo power ballads. yawn.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Default Re: Silverchair's American Redemption.........among Coachella board members

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    The point of this thread is show people how this band that everyone forgot left the Nirvana scene and now have a real identity.
    ....in the nu-U2 scene.

You're making the exact same arguments that Tessa makes when talking about the excellence that Hanson achieved during their transition into "mature songwriters".
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    grunge/emo power ballads. yawn.
    QFT

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    ....in the nu-U2 scene.

You're making the exact same arguments that Tessa makes when talking about the excellence that Hanson achieved during their transition into "mature songwriters".
    Just listen to Tuna in the Brine, the video I linked not the best sound. They're not Radiohead, but they have made some great fucking music. It's not really the same argument because Hanson stayed teeniebopping pop stars and didn't completely transform themselves. Silverchair's reputation isn't as terrible as Hanson's either, so they can make good music without the same risk.

I think a closer comparison to Hanson would be Pitchfork's praise of Robyn, wouldn't you agree? 90s forgotten pop stars making slightly better music?
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

That's the thing. Hanson DIDN'T stay teenybopping pop stars.....to a person who likes their new stuff. Same thing with Silverchair.

"Tuna In the Brine" sounds like a combination between Tori Amos and a certain MTV Unplugged album from 1994. Only it's more boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    That's the thing. Hanson DIDN'T stay teenybopping pop stars.....to a person who likes their new stuff. Same thing with Silverchair.

"Tuna In the Brine" sounds like a combination between Tori Amos and a certain MTV Unplugged album from 1994. Only it's more boring.
    see you're clouded man, there is nothing about that song derivative of grunge. Nothing at all. That influence ended with Neon Ballroom.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    your Next Time You Try To Look Hot thread will live in infamy.

This one needs to die right now...
    Wrong person. You are thinking of the Icelandic chick, Psychocandy or something similar.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by sydaud View Post
    Wesley Willis wrote an ode to Silverchair. He obviously knew what you're talking about.
    wesley willis wrote thousands of songs, and any of them about bands were just based on what he saw, so its not like an ode... all his band songs go something like

(band name) played at (name of venue). there were about (amount of people) at the show. it really kicked a/n (insert random animal) ass.

then the band name like 5 times

(band name) is a (musical genre of band). they play (insert instruments). they really (insert random profane line).

but either way silverchair not so good.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pocketphotography/
    i shoot all the shows you want to go to

I like Silverchair. Sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by pocket View Post
    wesley willis wrote thousands of songs, and any of them about bands were just based on what he saw, so its not like an ode... all his band songs go something like

(band name) played at (name of venue). there were about (amount of people) at the show. it really kicked a/n (insert random animal) ass.

then the band name like 5 times

(band name) is a (musical genre of band). they play (insert instruments). they really (insert random profane line).

but either way silverchair not so good.
    Well, you always knew what you were getting.

I once was friends with a girl who was really into Silverchair. She wanted to be more than friends. I had a girlfriend already. And that story blows far less than Diorama did which is saying a lot.

I think it would be a great experiment to pay Pitchfork to write a glowing review of Silverchair's next album, it would be amazing for me to see the response on this board.

It's kinda weird, the way people think around here. I went to the Jane's Addiction thread and the first 8 posts are hipsters posting one and two word statements of disapproval, yet everyone seems to love Nine Inch Nails around here. These two bands have similar fanbases in the larger context of the world.

And the same thing is going on in this thread - what I'm surprised at is people actually claim to like Silverchair's old music better, and their old music is ridiculously simplistic and derivative. I accept that people like what they like and don't like what they don't like, but I have to wonder if people are really giving them a chance or if they are just some lame, go-with-the-crowd indie snobs (there are dozens that regularly post here). I wonder this because the reviews have been mostly positive for Diorama and almost overwhelmingly positive for Young Modern.

It's okay though, don't take this as an attack or call for argument, I'm just observing.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Collective Soul has grown and evolved in equally shitty ways. I don't see you starting a thread bitching at us about why we don't like them. In the global context, they have relatively similar fanbases...

Just an observation.

Quote Originally Posted by dudezer47 View Post
    I once was friends with a girl who was really into Silverchair. She wanted to be more than friends. I had a girlfriend already. And that story blows far less than Diorama did which is saying a lot.
    Hahahahaha it's funny because it's true.

I think it would be a great experiment to pay Pitchfork to write a glowing review of Silverchair's next album, it would be amazing for me to see the response on this board.

It's kinda weird, the way people think around here. I went to the Jane's Addiction thread and the first 8 posts are hipsters posting one and two word statements of disapproval, yet everyone seems to love Nine Inch Nails around here. These two bands have similar fanbases in the larger context of the world.

And the same thing is going on in this thread - what I'm surprised at is people actually claim to like Silverchair's old music better, and their old music is ridiculously simplistic and derivative. I accept that people like what they like and don't like what they don't like, but I have to wonder if people are really giving them a chance or if they are just some lame, go-with-the-crowd indie snobs (there are dozens that regularly post here). I wonder this because the reviews have been mostly positive for Diorama and almost overwhelmingly positive for Young Modern.

It's okay though, don't take this as an attack or call for argument, I'm just observing.
    Well, NIN isn't raved about on PF either, so I don't understand that point.

As a formerly huge Silverchair fan, I gave Diorama plenty of chances. I purchased it from Australia months before it even hit the US, so reviews didn't mean anything to me (and they never do). And it still gives my ears diarreah.

Just because music is more complex doesn't make it better. Some of the best songs ever written are quite simplistic. And some of the worst shit ever put to tape is complex beyond belief.
    For your health

^^Complexity is definitely something best hidden in the guise of something simple and direct.

Quote Originally Posted by dudezer47 View Post
    Collective Soul has grown and evolved in equally shitty ways. I don't see you starting a thread bitching at us about why we don't like them. In the global context, they have relatively similar fanbases...

Just an observation.
    I don't think that's true about Collective Soul, are you just making shit up? I don't know about bitching, I'm really just confused by the reaction that's all.

Well, NIN isn't raved about on PF either, so I don't understand that point.
    What? 7.5 for The Slip and 6.7 for Year Zero. Those are fucking holy numbers for a Pitchfork review. And besides, at least they mention Nine Inch Nails. They don't even bother reviewing stuff they don't think is hip. That's why they review Lil' Wayne and not Eminem. Notice they reviewed The Dissociatives, Daniel Johns' side project, and in the first sentence they claim that Silverchair was bad, as if they had broken up. I doubt anyone on their staff even heard Diorama by that point.

As a formerly huge Silverchair fan, I gave Diorama plenty of chances. I purchased it from Australia months before it even hit the US, so reviews didn't mean anything to me (and they never do). And it still gives my ears diarreah.

Just because music is more complex doesn't make it better. Some of the best songs ever written are quite simplistic. And some of the worst shit ever put to tape is complex beyond belief.
    Well a huge Silverchair fan would be surprised by Daniel's suddenly soft and soothing vocals, no? And the switch from catchy grunge to even catchier power pop?

I hate to keep using Radiohead comparisons, and I already said they're no Radiohead, but what they did between Neon Ballroom and Diorama was similar to Pablo Honey and The Bends or maybe OK Computer and Kid A. It's not just that the music became more complex, but more interesting, more inspired, more everything that makes music good. "If You Keep Losing Sleep" is not just more complex but an amazing tune that puts "Tomorrow" and "Freak" to shame.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

What? 7.5 for The Slip and 6.7 for Year Zero. Those are fucking holy numbers for a Pitchfork review. And besides, at least they mention Nine Inch Nails. They don't even bother reviewing stuff they don't think is hip. That's why they review Lil' Wayne and not Eminem. Notice they reviewed The Dissociatives, Daniel Johns' side project, and in the first sentence they claim that Silverchair was bad, as if they had broken up. I doubt anyone on their staff even heard Diorama by that point.

Well a huge Silverchair fan would be surprised by Daniel's suddenly soft and soothing vocals, no? And the switch from catchy grunge to even catchier power pop?

I hate to keep using Radiohead comparisons, and I already said they're no Radiohead, but what they did between Neon Ballroom and Diorama was similar to Pablo Honey and The Bends or maybe OK Computer and Kid A. It's not just that the music became more complex, but more interesting, more inspired, more everything that makes music good. "If You Keep Losing Sleep" is not just more complex but an amazing tune that puts "Tomorrow" and "Freak" to shame.
    Dude, seriously. Quit right now. You aren't convincing anyone here. Huge fans of bands are allowed to not like stuff bands put out. I would not call any of the music on Diorama catchy, maybe with the exception of the Lever. And his vocals sound like a bloody vag. And 7.5 and 6.7 are not that great.
    For your health

They did review The Marshall Mathers EP, The Eminem Show, Encore and the Eminem greatest hits. They also said that the Slim Shady LP deserves a 10/10. They pay attention to Eminem because he has cultural import and makes music worth discussing. They don't cover Silverchair because they make derivative music, have for their whole career, and don't have much import whatsoever. And you can keep saying the same thing about how people who don't like it are just Pitchfork fanboys or whatever, but stop to think that maybe, just maybe, we don't enjoy the music you're talking about. Maybe because to us it's overblown, vaguely emotional generic rock redolent of a whole scene of music we'd rather avoid. I listened to the videos and wasn't swayed.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Silverchair rules!!!

psycho, I'm just confused as to why you're SO ADAMANT about making it clear that Silverchair is a good band. What's the point? You've made your argument, so why are you still here? It's like you're an evangelical Silverchair fan and you won't stop until all of us are taking part in a big group sing of Straight Lines (which is a great song, btw). We understand you are a big fan, and that you think they've changed and progressed over the years. Ok. Thank you. I could do the same thing about Hanson but I choose not to shove it down people's throats. It needs to happen more organically than this if you want them to really appreciate it. You're just offending people for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

And Gabe thanks a lot for dragging my boys into this. Bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Straight Lines is the most annoying song on the album...I don't get what the big deal is, people make threads about bands all the time. I haven't done anything the Arcade Fire obsessed posters don't constantly do...If people aren't willing to or can't come up with responses to my points, then whose problem is that? Just talking music.

bmack, what music is their last two albums derivative of? Someone earlier said U2, but Bono said Diorama was the greatest rock album of 2002 or something close to that.

edit: also, none of the points i've made in the last 3 posts have been uncalled for or excessive, they were only direct responses to holey arguments or faulty logic. chill...
    Last edited by psycobetabuckdown; 01-25-2009 at 04:04 PM.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

The song tuna in the brine reminds me of Post-OK Computer UK prog rock stuff. Early Muse, some of Placebo. You know the stuff.

It's not terribly original and, for me, not very captivating.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

You guys probably don't realize it, but C+C Music Factory have matured a lot over the past two decades. Their current sound has a lot in common with Autechre's more expansive work. Really guys. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The song tuna in the brine reminds me of Post-OK Computer UK prog rock stuff. Early Muse, some of Placebo. You know the stuff.

It's not terribly original and, for me, not very captivating.
    Most useful post in thread, thank you.

The point of this thread was mainly to point out that they're better than fucking Bush and should never be equated with a washed up post-grunge act like them, because they've done more, much more.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands