Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silverchair's American Redemption.........among Coachella board members

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

Default Silverchair's American Redemption.........among Coachella board members

I have noticed a severe lack of respect for/knowledge of Silverchair on this board, coupled with a severe hatred by those who remember the 90s. The following YouTube videos are an attempt to expose Silverchair's growth from a tween corporate-Nirvana knockoff into what they currently are, a very good band that makes very listenable music.

Here is what 90% of the people on this board know of Silverchair:

"Tomorrow"

Some may remember their first album as adults, the transition into what they would soon become, 1999's Neon Ballroom.

"Ana's Song (Open Fire)"

"Emotion Sickness"

And here is their first (only) truly great album, which should have gotten them more U.S. recognition than they did. They switched it up and almost completely left grunge in 2002's Diorama:

"Across the Night"

"Tuna in the Brine" (live)

"Without You"

And their latest album, which is not great but very good and has a couple of great songs, 2007's Young Modern.

"If You Keep Losing Sleep"

"Those Thieving Birds/Strange Behaviour" (live)

"Reflections of a Sound"

If nothing else, can we stop equating them with Bush and other 90s post-grunge acts whose careers are now done?
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Default Re: Silverchair's American Redemption.........among Coachella board members

For real, dude?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

Young blood

Default Re: Silverchair's American Redemption.........among Coachella board members

silverchair should have stayed in the 90's.

Wesley Willis wrote an ode to Silverchair. He obviously knew what you're talking about.

For real man, if these videos aren't convincing you, I don't know what you're hearing, but at least check out Diorama. It is truly not to be missed and it's never too late.

I'm not Australian by the way.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

i dig silverchair

why not give it up for Harvey Danger. now there's a horse worth betting on.
    "Choke on that Causality!"

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I don't give a shit if the Killers are playing; I'll watch something else-even if it's watching the poor churro man get trampled by stoners.

What a retarded thread.

This Silverchair, I would accept:

This Silverchair should be put down:

gross.

Young blood

look at the pants, thats totally non-conformity non-corporate style of the early 2000's

Hey I left videos, if anything explain why you don't like it...I know it's a little much to ask some of the hipsters on here to pay attention to anything besides the "pitchfork coolness factor" but please try for the sake of music.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    What a retarded thread.

This Silverchair, I would accept:

This Silverchair should be put down:

Wait, so you're saying Nirvana ripoff band from Australia = okay, you're all for that because they wear flannel and have long hair; current Silverchair, who sounds nothing like you're favorite band, not a good thing, because they don't dress like it's the 90s? This from a guy who goes out of his way to hate STP, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains? I'm confused.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by psycobetabuckdown View Post
    Wait, so you're saying Nirvana ripoff band from Australia = okay, you're all for that because they wear flannel and have long hair; current Silverchair, who sounds nothing like you're favorite band, not a good thing, because they don't dress like it's the 90s?
    Uhh, do I need to put it more simply? I guess I do. Their music nowadays (pretty much everything from Neon Ballroom and onward) FUCKING BLOWS. Ok? I can listen to the first two albums and enjoy them. Anything after that, I would rather sit in silence.

This from a guy who goes out of his way to hate STP, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains? I'm confused.
    And yes, I hate manufactured grunge.

the hoff approves
    03 07 08 09 10 11

Okay, this thread is for people who have taste. Go away and listen to Bush and Puddle of Mudd for the rest of your miserable life.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Young blood

Hey I left videos, if anything explain why you don't like it...I know it's a little much to ask some of the hipsters on here to pay attention to anything besides the "pitchfork coolness factor" but please try for the sake of music.
    Its cool, put their poster over your bed nobody's stopping you.

Quote Originally Posted by greenspicoli View Post

the hoff approves
    hahaha anyone who doesn't approve is a fucking paragon
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Diorama is absolute garbage. As for Young Modern, there were a couple of songs off the album I liked, but as a whole it was not appealing to me.

Silverchair was last enjoyable to me on Neon Ballroom.
    For your health

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Its cool, put their poster over your bed nobody's stopping you.
    Hey man, I'm here to help not hate. People need to know about good music, even if it's outside their bubbles. Not all good music is promoted by Pitchfork and Spin unfortunately.

edit:

luckyface, is it because you're a hard rock type of guy? I will agree it's nothing like old Silverchair but if you don't like it then you don't like it.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Okay, this thread is for people who have taste.
    You sure about that?

Young blood

So Silverchair is an obscure band that people don't "get"? my bad.

I will agree it's nothing like old Silverchair but if you don't like it then you don't like it.
    Why aren't you all butt hurt now?

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

I was a huge Chair fan when I was in middle school (i.e., in the mid-90's). And I saw them at the El Rey a couple years ago. Their new shit is awful. It's another superficial approximation of U2 that seems to be the reinvention road du jour for bands who were huge 10 years ago. In other words, they're basically Angels & Airwaves without the hysterically-ridiculous car wreck factor. But I cheered when they closed with "Freak", I have to admit.

I appreciate the disclaimer that you're not Australian.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

yeah they are, that's the point of this thread.

no menik, obviously this is the response i expected, but you just individually annoy the shit out of me because of your attachment to early 90s grunge culture. Nirvana wouldn't have made grunge forever either.

Edit: I don't know how anybody can listen to "Tuna in the Brine" and say their new shit is awful. But the live video I posted here I haven't listened to yet so maybe it's a bad sample.
    Last edited by psycobetabuckdown; 01-22-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

luckyface, is it because you're a hard rock type of guy? I will agree it's nothing like old Silverchair but if you don't like it then you don't like it.
    Nah, I am not huge into hard rock. Frogstomp was actually a little too hard for my tastes, in all honesty. I thought Neon Ballroom was by far their best album, and really there wasn't too much on there that was very hard.
    For your health

yeah they are, that's the point of this thread.

no menik, obviously this is the response i expected, but you just individually annoy the shit out of me because of your attachment to early 90s grunge culture. Nirvana wouldn't have made grunge forever either.
    First off, I've said this before (and I have to say it again) I really don't put Nirvana in the same category with Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, STP, etc....they sound nothing like those bands....the only "grunge" album Nirvana ever released was Bleach....everything else has a completely different sound....more on par with the likes of Sonic Youth, Pixies, etc....do you see/hear people saying those two bands sound like the grunge movement? No. So why say Nirvana does? But tev, that's just my opinion.

So why do you assume that I should like everything else "grunge" and then get pissed off when I don't....that's pretty closed minded thinking if you ask me. If you wanna call Nirvana "grunge" go ahead...I don't call them that. I hate "grunge" music....I do like some of the attitude/culture surrounding it, but I hate 90% of the bands. Again, why this annoys you? I don't know.

Oh for the Pitchfork readers, you might like the Presets remix of their lead single from Young Modern.

Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

your Next Time You Try To Look Hot thread will live in infamy.

This one needs to die right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    First off, I've said this before (and I have to say it again) I really don't put Nirvana in the same category with Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, STP, etc....they sound nothing like those bands....the only "grunge" album Nirvana ever released was Bleach....everything else has a completely different sound....more on par with the likes of Sonic Youth, Pixies, etc....do you see/hear people saying those two bands sound like the grunge movement? No. So why say Nirvana does? But tev, that's just my opinion.

So why do you assume that I should like everything else "grunge" and then get pissed off when I don't....that's pretty closed minded thinking if you ask me. If you wanna call Nirvana "grunge" go ahead...I don't call them that. I hate "grunge" music....I do like some of the attitude/culture surrounding it, but I hate 90% of the bands. Again, why this annoys you? I don't know.
    Then I truly don't understand why you would like early Silverchair...Like I said it's shallow corporate post-Nirvana pop music. I like it a little, but only in so far as it's possible to like it.

Well the word "grunge" wasn't really used or accepted until Nirvana became popular, but if you'd rather define it your own way, I can't do anything to stop you. But I don't want to turn this into a Nirvana thread anyway. The point of this thread is show people how this band that everyone forgot left the Nirvana scene and now have a real identity.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

silverchair are the new bon jovi.