Page 1 of 171 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Lollapalooza 2009

Default Lollapalooza 2009

Dates for 2009 have been confirmed for August 7-9.

Please discuss all rumors, details, past experiences, etc here.

So far (according to the lolla message board) the only semi-confirmed acts are Kaiser Chiefs and Ezra Furman & the Harpoons.

Default Re: Lollapalooza 2009

I think it will have the best lineup of the year...again. Can't wait, always a good time. Headliner predictions: White Stripes, Outkast, Jane's Addiction

I like that it's a week later this year. I wonder what that means for APW...

EDIT: Aftershow schedules:

Josh (JSam67) - Fri: Arctic Monkeys

Tommy (TommyboyUNM) - Fri: TV on the Radio (pending tix)
    Sat: STS9

Lilia (unknown) - Fri: Arctic Monkeys

Salah (sbessiso) - Fri: Arctic Monkeys

Heidi (chiapet) - Fri: Crookers/Simian Mobile Disco/Bloody Beetroots

Jen (captncrzy) - Fri: Arctic Monkeys

Kyle (IdiotequeThom) - Fri: Band of Horses
    Sun: Deerhunter/No Age/Dan Deacon

Ryan (kingsblend420) - Fri: Crookers/SMD/Beetroots

Caleb (Cdubby) - Sat: Dan Auerbach/Cage the Elephant
    Last edited by JSam67; 07-28-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Jane's Addiction obviously

I'm going to lolla....to pitchfork as well.

Whats the best hotel for Lolla?
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I was planning on going but i'm starting to have second thoughts. They had a great lineup and all last year but honestly, the fest itself doesn't compare to coachella or even a sasquatch for that matter. There is no reason I should be standing near the sound board and struggling to hear the band which is what happened during MGMT. I was a bit further back for NIN but that shit wasn't loud at all and the audience chatter drove me crazy all weekend. Every fucking band had some guy or girl who thought they were at a bar getting drunk talking to their friends about the latest happenings in their life. If I happen to visit Chicago that week I may take in a day but i'm not going to all three. The Wilco/Rage conflict also sucked ass.

Quote Originally Posted by garrett222 View Post
    I'm going to lolla....to pitchfork as well.

Whats the best hotel for Lolla?
    Best? What kind of accomidations are you looking for? cheapest would be a hostel. HI hostel I think is very very close to the fest and right off Michigan Ave. It books up but you won't find a better deal. I think they have both private and shared rooms. I think $34 a night. there are loads of hotels in the city but that's the minimalist way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Best? What kind of accomidations are you looking for? cheapest would be a hostel. HI hostel I think is very very close to the fest and right off Michigan Ave. It books up but you won't find a better deal. I think they have both private and shared rooms. I think $34 a night. there are loads of hotels in the city but that's the minimalist way to go.
    I want a CHEAP a hotel with a KILLER BUFFET...what else, faxy?

i'm with you fax. i was pissed at the way the crowds acted at lolla last year. all the chatter during bands, rude ass people pushing you out the way to get thru rather than asking you to move nicely, tons of drunk people (way more than coachella). the lineup will have to be MASSIVE for me to go to lolla again.

in other lolla news....i read somewhere (i think spin) that lolla was close to closing a deal that would put it in Grant Park until 2018 or something ridiculous like that.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Blazed View Post
    I want a CHEAP a hotel with a KILLER BUFFET...what else, faxy?
    I gave you cheap. If it has to be a hotel and not a hostel then try Hotel Congress which is probably really close to the hostel I suggested. Good luck on finding buffet's this isn't Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by sin213 View Post
    i'm with you fax. i was pissed at the way the crowds acted at lolla last year. all the chatter during bands, rude ass people pushing you out the way to get thru rather than asking you to move nicely, tons of drunk people (way more than coachella). the lineup will have to be MASSIVE for me to go to lolla again.

in other lolla news....i read somewhere (i think spin) that lolla was close to closing a deal that would put it in Grant Park until 2018 or something ridiculous like that.

That said Chicago is enjoyed best with a small group of friends going to museums, live music venues, bars and restaurants. There really is so much to see in that city. I lived there for 25 years and I love going back to be a tourist there. I really miss the Chicago culture compared to Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I gave you cheap. If it has to be a hotel and not a hostel then try Hotel Congress which is probably really close to the hostel I suggested. Good luck on finding buffet's this isn't Vegas.
    It's a joke. A FUCKIN JOKE!

True, there isn't as much as a festival vibe at Lolla as there is at say Coachella or Roo. this is probably because it's right there in the cit and it ends at 10. But it's still an amazing time if you hang with the right people, and see the right bands. For the price, you couldn't beat the amazing bands last year. I had not one problem with anyone talking too loud or acting any different than at any other fest. I did hear about MGMT soundbleed from Booka Shade but that was pretty much the only complaint I heard
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Attended in 2006, stayed at the Whitehall, it's okay.

Attended in 2007, stayed at Hotel Allegro, way better and free beer and wine happy hour, free wifi, closer to Grant Park, and cheaper than the Whitehall.

If you want a hotel room, you're looking at minimum $150/night at a low end place.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

I went to Lolla once when it was a tour. QOTSA, The Distillers, Audioslave, Jurassic 5, Incubus, and Jane's Addiction played. I think, unless there's an amazing line-up, I'd only want to go to Lolla if it was a tour again; but even then, it had a weird vibe.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I found the lolla board last year was very helpful in locating hotels for people. If anyone found a special they would post it and many would take advantage of it.

I stayed at the Westin last year which was a short walk through Millenium park to the festival for 99 a night. I know others stayed at places that were less expensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    True, there isn't as much as a festival vibe at Lolla as there is at say Coachella or Roo. this is probably because it's right there in the cit and it ends at 10. But it's still an amazing time if you hang with the right people, and see the right bands. For the price, you couldn't beat the amazing bands last year. I had not one problem with anyone talking too loud or acting any different than at any other fest. I did hear about MGMT soundbleed from Booka Shade but that was pretty much the only complaint I heard

If you couldn't tell the difference in crowd behavior between Coachella and Lollapalooza you are doing it wrong. You could hear a pin drop when Portishead played at Coachella. At Lolla, that wouldn't have happened. You are right, for the price and the acts they get, it's a good deal. I never have a problem with the music volume at Coachella. I also like the wide open space at Coachella. At lolla when you leave the 2 main stages there is terrible bottle necking that goes on and makes running to the next stage to catch an act difficult and time consuming.

It's a city fest though, I understand that, just not on the same level as Coachella.

In 2007 I was able to pick up 2 presale tickets before they release the lineup for $60 each, for 3 days! Jump on that if you can, it usually happens in March. Scope the Lolla board for information.

I think I'll be going this year, just-to-say-I-did-it sort of thing, but of course it's still lineup (and schedule) pending. I found last year's lineup to probably be the best lineup of any North American festival (after Bonnaroo for me personally), and I was planning on going... but God, did that Battles/Broken Social Scene conflict ever kill me. That's not to mention even the Wilco/Rage conflict. Distressing stuff. Needless to say I was out at that point, and I don't regret it, because I just can't handle conflicts like that between my favorite bands.

So this year, I'll still be holding out for a manageable schedule... but again, I predict one of the better lineup of the North American fests, but probably lots of nasty conflicts once they release the schedule. But I hear so many things about it and it's just so famous, I feel the need to go just to say I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Im really considering going this year, but only if the lineup is stellar. Its either Lolla or Sasquatch. Sasquatch has the advantage of an incredible venue though, which will make it hard to choose.

I will be having my second annual Lolla roof top party.

30th floor on lake shore drive.

Some board people went last year and can vouch for me ;/

Last year we had about 40 people....this year I want more people and my friends spinning records.
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

Quote Originally Posted by indietron View Post
    Im really considering going this year, but only if the lineup is stellar. Its either Lolla or Sasquatch. Sasquatch has the advantage of an incredible venue though, which will make it hard to choose.
    That venue is the coolest I have ever been to in my life. I couldn't stop taking pictures of The Gorge.

Yeah thats what attracts me to Sasquatch so much. Even if the lineup doesn't quite compare to Lolla's, it would still be a tough decision for that reason alone.

I reeeeally really really want to go to Sasquatch too, but the timing is just horrible wedged in between Coachella and Bonnaroo like that. If it was in August or September, or even July, I'd be all in. So that's makes Lolla much more doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

isn't there a best western right across the street from the festival? How is it?
    Upcoming Shows:

Sasquatch Festival

I stayed at the Congress Plaza Hotel two years in a row, it's the closest Hotel to the entrance of the Fest, literally a 5 minute walk. The hotel was cheap and bad...haha. Not clean, broken toilet, no service on anything. The second year our room didn't even have a fucking number on the door. that said, I would do it again because it is closer than the hostel

Quote Originally Posted by garrett222 View Post
    isn't there a best western right across the street from the festival? How is it?
    I stayed there...it was pretty good. Didn't have any problems plus it's right next to this place Yolk, which has just about the best breakfast I've ever had.

Lollapalooza totally wouldn't work in the winter.

We have been in an arctic freeze for a few weeks. Got down to -20 F for a few days...

Today it is 32F, sunny, and it feels soooo good!
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

When speaking of Lolla vs. Coach, there are only a few major differences that I observed.

IMO Lolla's ticket price and scheduling are superior to Coach. Other than that, I prefer Coach for location, lineup and overall vibe. Prior comments on the excess of drunks at Lolla are accurate, but there is more overall partying going on at Coach. There are also no beer gardens at Lolla(which could be a plus or a minus), which means drinking goes on everywhere within the festival grounds.

If you're going to go to Lolla, make sure you get to Grant Park Thurs and grab your 3 day wristband before the start of the festival. On Friday you'll see a bunch of people standing in line waiting and you'll be able to breeze right in. But usually it's only the first day that there's a line.

I know this is personal preference, but, I really wish Lollapalooza would move to a little bit more rural place in the Chicago area. I like Grant park, just not when lollapalooza is there... (I know, I know, festival in the city is what makes it unique)

Oh yeah, and adding more musical diversity wouldn't hurt either...

For newbies to the this festival its not bad, but its no Coachella. There is some nice comforts Lollapalooza offers that Coachella doesn't, but it still doesn't add up to the premium level of experience you'll get at Coachella.
    ass on the grill