17 7.56%
  • Hail To The Thief

10 4.44%
  • In Rainbows

26 11.56%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Radiohead Album

Default Re: Best Radiohead Album

While my first favorite track was Paranoid Android and my first favorite album was Amnesiac (Minotaur tattoo on the back of my arm, lol), Hail To the Thief has become my favorite album. It has so much emotional depth and holds the perfect balance of electronic wankery and guitar rock. Plus the harmonizing in I Will still gives me chills.

The good thing about the world of taste is that there's room for everyone.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    While my first favorite track was Paranoid Android and my first favorite album was Amnesiac (Minotaur tattoo on the back of my arm, lol), Hail To the Thief has become my favorite album. It has so much emotional depth and holds the perfect balance of electronic wankery and guitar rock. Plus the harmonizing in I Will still gives me chills.

Hail to the Thief is great imo. It bummed me out when I read an interview with Radiohead and they explained that they did a lousy job on that album. I agree with Yorke when he says that it would have been much better if they had cut a few tracks from that album. Sail to the Moon is my personal favorite from thief.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post

I couldnt agree more. Hail to the Thief just does it for me from beginning to end. And i love what you say here regarding emotional depth and electronic/rock balance. I find it strange that more people don't consider it worthy of at the very least Kid A status of excellence. Kid a was amazing because it was such leap from the previous album, yet maintained a level of musicianship, creativity, and novelty on par with Ok Computer. But, in my opinion HTTT is just as novel and creative but has the added benefit of rocking your face off (or vibrating your brain into pure bliss e.g. "Sit Down, Stand Up"). I especially love the transition from "I Will" to "Punchup at a Wedding". If they play "Punchup at a Wedding" this year at Coachella, my wife will literally punch the person next to her in the face out of pure joy. We both agree that "Punchup" may be the best Radiohead song of all time!

While the Bends is my favorite, I agree that Hail to the Thief is incredible as well and probably my 2nd favorite for all the exact
    reasons described above. Its just a perfect album. I listen to that one more than any other still.

Kid A without a doubt

Quote Originally Posted by zajaa View Post
    when rolling stone did a year end recap back when hail to the thief came out, they punctuated their praise for hail with an important statement: radiohead are not avant garde. but they are about as close to avant garde as popular music gets. (paraphrase)

this assertion initially bothered me, until i realized that it was not a criticism, and does not take away from their absolutely outstanding work in the least. people arguing that radiohead are not "doing anything new" may be right.. so what? they still make amazing music.

and it's not like they sound particularly similar to any other band anyway. they have carved out a niche that is unmistakably radiohead.

the possibility of an avant garde was convincingly challenged after the peak of modernism, over half a century ago. in other words, creating something truly new (in the arts, music, etc) is next to impossible. it's all been done, as the saying goes. the prevailing trend today is recombination of previous styles, a defining trait of post-modernism. (see girltalk)
    THIS

VERY well said...I would enjoy sharing a drink with you sometime in silverlake, maybe the Edendale?

Quote Originally Posted by Natelevmofuggaz View Post
    This is like asking me to pick my favorite child.
    haha, true.

i've been listening to a shit ton of Bends lately...tough question.
    mja: "i would make a great effeminate hick-accented puppet"

This should be updated with King of Limbs somehow. But I would still vote for Ok Computer. I'm blown away every time I listen to it