Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for the People of Los Angeles

Default Re: Questions for the People of Los Angeles

lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    As far as food goes, yur gonna wanna hit Apple Pan and Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles. Also, if you are in/by Santa Monica you wanna hit Bay Cities Deli on Lincoln. Best Deli in all of LA (as far as subs go, at least), put that on my life.

PS: Is your sig quoting the song Selfish? Cuz if it is, you sir are a badass. That track is not nearly remembered as it should be.
    Thanks for the advice... this deli actually seems like a good lunchtime destination.

Yeah my sig is from "Selfish" by Slum Village. Of all of Kanye's good lines, this one is still my favorite. Has Slum Village done a damn thing before or after this great song? The video is great too.
    Shit. I can't find an embeddable version ("disabled by request" BS). Here's the link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgURrEkmtug
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Ya Slum Village had a couple of other tracks though I only remember one other track. They had a really famous producer in the group that you may have heard of named J-Dilla. He is dead now though.

Here is the other Slum track (not nearly as good though), and my personal favorite J-Dilla solo track

This song + psychedelic = Craaazzzzy shit

Also, I am serious about checking out Roscoe's though. It may sound weird at first, but it will be the best decision regarding food you will have made in a while
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

I've only had Roscoes once and was extremely underwhelmed. In n Out also does not live up to the hype. Bay Cities does. Their chicken Parm sandwich is to die for.

Thumbs up Re: Questions for the People of Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    I've only had Roscoes once and was extremely underwhelmed. In n Out also does not live up to the hype. Bay Cities does. Their chicken Parm sandwich is to die for.
    the waffles are not as good as i was expecting them to be.
    i love the waffles from "the waffle".

i went to Roscoes the other day and had the chicken with mac n cheese cornbread and greens and it was fucking delicious.

yeah the waffles are like eggos but even worse. mmm i want some eggos now.

As far as food goes, yur gonna wanna hit Apple Pan and Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles. Also, if you are in/by Santa Monica you wanna hit Bay Cities Deli on Lincoln. Best Deli in all of LA (as far as subs go, at least), put that on my life.

PS: Is your sig quoting the song Selfish? Cuz if it is, you sir are a badass. That track is not nearly remembered as it should be.
    I second Apple Pan. I have never been to Bay Cities though =/

I have been known to take a taxi from LAX to Santa Monica during especially long layovers for the sole purpose of procuring one caprese sandwich from Bay Cities Deli.

Take that endorsement for whatever it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I have been known to take a taxi from LAX to Santa Monica during especially long layovers for the sole purpose of procuring one caprese sandwich from Bay Cities Deli.

Take that endorsement for whatever it is worth.
    That's a ringing endorsement... I'm assuming since this is a top-notch deli it was about $7-8 sandwich with chips, plus at least a $20 cab ride?

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. Feel free to keep firing them at me. Trust me... I'm actually writing them down.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Favorite Diner in all of LA. Right in Inglewood, close to the airport

This was the diner that gets robbed in Pulp Fiction, as well as where Vin Deisel eats when he gets out of prison in the movie xXx
    Last edited by juloxx; 03-10-2010 at 04:35 PM.

You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Don't listen to the Roscoe's knocking heathens. Those waffles are fantastic. There's tons of flavor in the waffle itself, it doesn't even need syrup. The Waffle's waffles pale in comparison, and it's full of Hollywood scum.

The Daily Pint is one of the more fantastic bars in LA. They have a really good tap and a gigantic scotch list, and it's got a very down to earth and relaxed crowd usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Don't listen to the Roscoe's knocking heathens. Those waffles are fantastic. There's tons of flavor in the waffle itself, it doesn't even need syrup. The Waffle's waffles pale in comparison, and it's full of Hollywood scum.

The Daily Pint is one of the more fantastic bars in LA. They have a really good tap and a gigantic scotch list, and it's got a very down to earth and relaxed crowd usually.
    The chicken is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by JewFace View Post
    OMG. I just found out I'm going to Slimmons Studio in Beverly Hills in a couple of weeks for a friend's birthday. Richard Simmons still teaches weekly aerobics classes at his old studio whenever he's in town. Has anyone done this? According to the NY Times, the people who show up for these classes are a mix of "women who would go to Curves and hipsters". This is more exciting than having an audience with the Dalai Lama. Shit, I need to buy a Bedazzler.

BTW, I did this a couple of weeks ago and it was A-MAZ-ING! Simmons is just like you see him on TV. Just as loud, sassy, gregarious, emotionally needy and oily as you would imagine. So oily. My God, after staring at those glossy thighs of his for an hour we all wanted to get some El Pollo Loco. Simmons does not mess around, though. I thought it would be a fun way to spend a morning with an icon of ridiculousness, which it was. But, he really works you. We were all sweating and completely out of breath by the end. Anyway, if you want a completely different experience from a hike in the Hollywood hills or another spinning class, try a Richard Simmons class at Slimmons. I think you have to call the studio to see when Simmons is next scheduled to teach. I dunno, my friend took care of all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    jewface is definitely the gayest one here, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

I actually messed up in that recommendation. I thought it was called the Daily Pint but the place I'm thinking of is actually called the Speak Easy on Pico near 14th. It doesn't have draft beer at all.

I have an interview today in LA. Interview is from 4-5 and I'd rather not get right on the freeway back to SD at 5 only to sit in traffic for a few hours. Restaurant recommendations nearby? I'm open to anything. I just don't want to drive clear across town if possible. My interview is near the intersection of Wilshire and San Vicente. South East corner of the Brentwood area (according to that LA Times mapping project) just w. of the 405. Thanks guys!

I know that area pretty well.... Bay Cities is 10 minutes away. Head west on Wilshire till you get to Lincoln. South on Lincoln till your just passed Olympic. Then your pretty much there. Should be on your left. With rush Hour traffic this may take about +20 minutes. Its near The Promenade/ Peir/ Ocean though so you can kill alot of time there.

If you want some crackin Japanese food thats relatively close, you can hit Sawtelle blvd (pretty much lil' Japan). Just get to Olympic blvd which is South of that location. Once your on Olympic take it east till you get to Sawtelle. Make a left, and you are there.

If you dont feel like driving anywhere, there is a couple of mini shopping centers within one block of your interview location. Just post up therr and eat some CPK & Coldstone or something.

old school

I agree with everyone about Bay Cities, fucking awesome sandwiches.

Fuck all that upscale shit BTW, Roscoe's is my favorite restaurant in LA.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

I know that area pretty well.... Bay Cities is 10 minutes away. Head west on Wilshire till you get to Lincoln. South on Lincoln till your just passed Olympic. Then your pretty much there. Should be on your left. With rush Hour traffic this may take about +20 minutes. Its near The Promenade/ Peir/ Ocean though so you can kill alot of time there.

If you want some crackin Japanese food thats relatively close, you can hit Sawtelle blvd (pretty much lil' Japan). Just get to Olympic blvd which is South of that location. Once your on Olympic take it east till you get to Sawtelle. Make a left, and you are there.

If you dont feel like driving anywhere, there is a couple of mini shopping centers within one block of your interview location. Just post up therr and eat some CPK & Coldstone or something.
    Bay Cities is north of Olympic, between Colorado and whatever the street above it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

It also has the single shittiest parking lot ever. Just park at the Von's across the street. And if the lines are insanely long, don't be afraid to just stroll right up to the hot case and get whatever the special is. Their chicken parms, lasagnas, stuffed shells and pretty much everything else are delicious and very reasonably priced and generally require less than a two minute wait if that, whereas the sandwiches can take a half hour at lunch time.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

old school

True dat^ Bay Cities also has highest number of hot chicks I have ever seen at a Deli.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

It also has the single shittiest parking lot ever. Just park at the Von's across the street. And if the lines are insanely long, don't be afraid to just stroll right up to the hot case and get whatever the special is. Their chicken parms, lasagnas, stuffed shells and pretty much everything else are delicious and very reasonably priced and generally require less than a two minute wait if that, whereas the sandwiches can take a half hour at lunch time.
    Honestly, I have never had anything but the subs there.

I guess I should peep the hot case shit then.... Would you recommend them over the subs, or does it really just come down to your mood? Like do you ever goo in to Bay Cities thinking about a sub and just leave with something from the hot case instead?

And fuck their parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxeyLady View Post
    Fuck all that upscale shit BTW, Roscoe's is my favorite restaurant in LA.
    As it should be. There is the reason why its the most famous restaurant in LA.

The subs are great but I just absolutely never had the fucking time to wait in that line. I don't know what I necessarly recommend any one over the other except to say that the hot stuff is perfectly delicious and takes 1/30th the time, therefore it wins. If you go there on a lasagna or chicken parm day though, don't pass it up. I miss that lasagna a lot.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Bay Cities is between Broadway and Colorado. To avoid making an illegal turn, go down to Colorado, turn north onto Lincoln, and it'll be on your right hand side.

The chicken parm sandwich is amazing. I get it without the peppers tho. That's too weird for me. A couple days ago my brother and I got those and then went across the street to Dennys and ate them in there with air conditioning and free wifi. We ordered some drinks and fries there so they didn't yell at us. It was perfect. I always forget that I can't finish an entire sandwich. They're huge. I need to order a half size from now on.

Also, rageaoki, there's a bunch of good bars right there just west of Barrington. Q's, Cabo, and one other right there I can't remember. There's also a Wahoo's and there's Panda Express in the Pavillions there if you want to get cheap. There are a ton of restaurants right along Wilshire there so just walk. Or go back down San Vicente. Tons of stuff there too. (That's my hood). There's a new place called Tavern on the corner of San Vicente and the first cross street you come to. I havent checked it out yet - the place used to be a Hamburger Hamlet and my grandparents used to bring us there all the time growing up. But Tavern's supposed to be really good. And then there's Cheesecake Factory and CPK and Barney's Gourmet Hamburgers and Coral Tree Cafe all in the next block. There's a ton of restaurants on San Vicente. Or you can cross Wilshire and go into Westwood too.

Hey, thanks to all of you who contribute to this thread. It's really helpful for those of us not familiar with LA. New question...

I just completed my final interview for a dream job in Beverly Hills. I'll find out by Wednesday if I got the job. If I do, I may be expected to start within a week. I don't believe in counting my chickens, but I do believe in being prepared so I've already started the apartment search. I've come across something curious that I hope you might be able to answer for me. It's no secret that LA has a shit ton of traffic and so apartments in proximity to downtown, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Hollywood and/or Santa Monica often come at a premium.

I figured that to be able to afford a 1 bedroom apartment, I may have to live 15-20 miles outside of L.A. However, I'm surprised to find a glut of very affordable apartments in the Mid-Wilshire and/or Koreatown area. These are apartments that are all less than 5 miles away from the office in Beverly Hills. All of the apartments look very nice, have great amenities and appear to be well maintained. Not that I'm complaining, I just wonder why there are so many more affordable apartments in the Mid-Wilshire area. Is it the fact that most of them are located in what appear to be busy business districts as opposed to more quiet residential streets? Is it just the fact that they're not in downtown and they're not in the 90210? (Do people really pay more just for a zipcode?) Or maybe it's just a question of supply far outweighing demand at this time? I know to check them out in person, of course. Anyone can misrepresent an apartment with a "nice" photo, I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight into this Mid-Wilshire phenomenon. To find a similar concentration of affordable apartments, I'd have to travel well outside of LA.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 04-03-2010 at 03:42 AM.

i'm definitely no expert on koreatown, but i'd suggest getting a street view of the places on google maps and cruising around the area a bit. it's definitely not the best area, but i've known people who live there who think it's fine. if you're a guy you'll probably be fine.

So I had less than a week to find an apartment in LA. After viewing nearly 30 apartments in one weekend, I settled on a place in Mid-Wilshire/Koreatown. I'm about a mile east of the Wiltern. The good news? It's a huge 1br, newly renovated with all utilities and underground secure parking included for the same price as tiny closet-like studios in more desirable neighborhoods like W. Hollywood and Santa Monica, remarkably quiet for being two blocks away from Wilshire, centrally located with easy access to downtown, Hollywood, W. Hollywood, B. Hills and it feels safe to me. I also see now why it was easier to find affordable apartments in Mid-Wilshire, though. Holy shit this is a boring part of town. If there's any sort of nightlife that doesn't involve karaoke and kimchi, I've yet to find it.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 04-28-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Sounds like you got yourself an awesome deal. That rules, dude. And welcome to LA!

Quote Originally Posted by corbo View Post
    the waffles are not as good as i was expecting them to be.
    i love the waffles from "the waffle".

i went to Roscoes the other day and had the chicken with mac n cheese cornbread and greens and it was fucking delicious.
    Give up on Roscoes and try M&M's. Seriously, Roscoes is so over-rated it's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by clarky123 View Post
    Fuck your formal education up for music and stop being a coward.
    Quote Originally Posted by braundiggity View Post
    I dunno. Lots of the arguments seem hypocritical to me. Can't we leave it simply as: I loved the shit out of it, some hated the shit out of it, and that's just how some shows go?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/musicislife/

Karma Police are coming for you

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    So I had less than a week to find an apartment in LA. After viewing nearly 30 apartments in one weekend, I settled on a place in Mid-Wilshire/Koreatown. I'm about a mile east of the Wiltern. The good news? It's a huge 1br, newly renovated with all utilities and underground secure parking included for the same price as tiny closet-like studios in more desirable neighborhoods like W. Hollywood and Santa Monica, remarkably quiet for being two blocks away from Wilshire, centrally located with easy access to downtown, Hollywood, W. Hollywood, B. Hills and it feels safe to me. I also see now why it was easier to find affordable apartments in Mid-Wilshire, though. Holy shit this is a boring part of town. If there's any sort of nightlife that doesn't involve karaoke and kimchi, I've yet to find it.
    Welcome to the neighborhood bro. I live 3 blocks south of the wiltern. And there are a bunch of clubs on western and wilshire.
    Quote Originally Posted by MassonaBlackEyes View Post
    who the fuck quotes themselves in their sigs?

I love LA
    'Superclogger': Puppet shows for the congested freeways of L.A

The freeway appears regularly in L.A. art works by Ed Ruscha, Dennis Hopper and Catherine Opie come to mind but rarely does art grace the Southland's concrete corridors. There is graffiti, of course, and a smattering of decaying murals, but for the most part, the freeway is an artistic wasteland.

Until now. Coming to select rush hour traffic jams this summer: "Superclogger," a mobile puppet theater by Los Angeles artist Joel Kyack. Accompanied by fellow artist Michael Hayden, Kyack performs shows out of the back of his nondescript white pickup truck for anyone who happens to be driving behind it.

Commissioned by the Culver City non-profit LAXART, "Superclogger" began its crawl through the Southland's most congested stretches of freeway on June 1, on the 405. (Kyack monitors the flow of traffic on Google Maps to find the slowest spots.) Additional shows will appear sporadically through Sept. 25, when they will be featured in an event at the Hammer Museum. Upcoming dates and freeways are listed on the LAXART website (www.laxart.org).

"Los Angeles has such a long history of cars and car culture that it almost seemed like a perfect project to see how a young, emerging artist would respond to this context," says Cesar Garcia, curator of public art and programs at LAXART.

Starting roughly at 5 p.m. on designated days, lucky commuters will see the back of the pickup's shell top swing open to reveal an energetic hand puppet dressed like a heavy metal musician. If they tune their radios to the frequency written on a cardboard sign on the tailgate, they'll hear crashing guitar chords and a gravelly announcer's voice say, "Welcome to 'Superclogger'!"

What follows are four vignettes, each between 4 and 7 minutes long, in which characters discuss the vicissitudes of fame, friendship, snobbery, artistic integrity and love. An aging country singer laments the price of success; a naive young boy confronts upper class pretensions in a surreal conversation with a talking shrub; two construction workers shed their tough guy image with a karaoke version of Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now"; and an isolated writer sets aside his novel for a lucrative screenplay and love.

All the scenes are about "characters sort of negotiating their want or their desire to make a world around them," Kyack says, "and then the will of the world often times putting up those blocks."

Kyack doesn't mind if people don't get the connection between the stories and gridlock; he doesn't even expect them to watch the entire show. "If someone saw 30 seconds of one of the plays, I think it's just as good," he says. For him, the content is secondary to the show's potential to transform the space around it. The plays are "kind of a trick, or that point of entry for someone to come in and then experience this performative space," he says.

Kyack hopes the novel experience of seeing a puppet show while idling in traffic will jolt commuters out of isolation in their cars and help them see other possibilities in their surroundings. For one thing, drivers might be more aware of the potential for a fender bender and exercise caution while watching the puppet show. But there are also larger questions about what behaviors are acceptable or permitted within a given space.

"How much have you forfeited?" he asks, in his typically emphatic, animated manner. "How much have you resigned? How much space? The highway is a complete forfeiture to the government. To their rules, to their land grab."

Case in point: Driving east on the 210 on a recent Wednesday afternoon, Kyack and Hayden quickly push the puppets out of sight as they pass a Highway Patrol car on the side of the road. "We're not doing anything illegal," Kyack says. "The truck is modified with seatbelts. I'm completely in compliance with the FCC." Since the transmitter radius is only about 100 feet and it broadcasts on unused frequencies in the area where the truck is driving, Kyack says the project does not require a license from the Federal Communications Commission.

California Highway Patrol spokesman Mark Garrett was not aware of any incident reports regarding the project. "There's no specific law that prohibits someone from doing something like that as long as they're seated legally," Garrett said.

For all its careful planning, the project has a decidedly handmade, impromptu vibe.

"I'm not a puppet maker. I'm not a playwright. This is the first time I've done either one," says Kyack. He wrote the scenarios, made all the puppets by hand and recorded the music, sound effects and voices (his and Hayden's) over a period of about eight months. Pre-recorded on CD, the soundtrack is broadcast from a small FM transmitter in the truck. The two men dress in black with cheap black pantyhose over their faces and sit in seats installed by a friend of Kyack's, master welder Peter Fuller. There is no curtain; the puppeteers' forms, if not their faces, are discernible behind the puppets.

"Materially, both for the modifications to the pickup truck and the puppets, I'd say it was just under $300," says Kyack. This low-budget approach is integral to the project and his work in general, which also includes sculpture, installation and non-puppet performances.

"Legitimacy is so often informed by the financial backing," he says, "I like to think I'm operating in opposition to that, where I'm showing people that ideas can happen very simply too."