Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions for the People of Los Angeles

Default Re: Questions for the People of Los Angeles

p.s. if you make it over to the westwood/UCLA part of town, I'd be down to grab a beer or two.

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    Holy fuck... what kind of odd-ballish place is this?
    It's a strip bar.
    http://www.thescenestar.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Don't ever include Thrice in a fucking Sigur Ros thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Maybe more people would give a shit if he died two weekends in a row.

Porto's is so fucking good.

fiopapd, we need to know a little more about what sorta stuff you're looking for and what you'd like to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

fiopapd, we need to know a little more about what sorta stuff you're looking for and what you'd like to do.
    Portos is fucking delicious.

jumbos is always a blast. go there. i'll meet ya for a drink
    wacky little dive bikini bar, where they actually play good music. Random Fact: that is where Courtney love got her start
    portos too, I'll meet ya for a potato ball
    Last edited by whynotsmile99; 03-07-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

Hell yeah Porto's is good! There's the Burbank location but the original is in Glendale, not too far away off the 134. I think there's one in Whittier opening up real soon. Porto's filled Potato Balls are insane!
    http://www.thescenestar.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    Don't ever include Thrice in a fucking Sigur Ros thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Maybe more people would give a shit if he died two weekends in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by TheScenestar View Post
    Hell yeah Porto's is good! There's the Burbank location but the original is in Glendale, not too far away off the 134. I think there's one in Whittier opening up real soon. Porto's filled Potato Balls are insane!
    I Live in Whittier fuck yeah !!
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

If you end up going to dodger stadium check this place out for a drink b4 or after www.myspace.com/shortstopechopark

Hi guys... I'll elaborate more later... I've been to LA a few time beside for the purpose of Coachella, but never for as long as I'd like (short weekend trips).

It won't be finalized until Fri (when I get paid lol), but I'm leaning towards staying in Lawndale... I got a got price on a Baymont Inn there. Kinda close to the beach and LAX where I'm flying into. I will have a rental car so I can pretty much get around anywhere. I'm willing to drive wherever. I'm salty the Minnesota Twins are playing in Anaheim the week before I roll into LA, so that's why I thought it might be fun to see a Dodger game. I'm kinda a horse racing fan, that's why i wanna see Santa Anita.

As far as any kind of nightlife is concerned... dives or swank spots. Any suggestions are good. And I'd love to meet up with any of y'all wherever. So fire away with suggestions please. Off to work the overnight overtime (very much helping to pay for the trip) at the factory, so I'll check this tomorrow morning. Thanks guys
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Guys... thanks for the advice... especially this Porto's place you keep mentioning...

But anyways, any other suggestions mainly for dive bars or clubs would be cool. Especially on a Tue or Wednesday...
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Not too close to lawndale but then again nothing really is. Anywho here's a pretty popular spot peeps like to check out now and then.

http://www.attheecho.com/

Quote Originally Posted by blackchango View Post
    Not too close to lawndale but then again nothing really is. Anywho here's a pretty popular spot peeps like to check out now and then.

http://www.attheecho.com/
    Thanks for the link... Crystal Castles is playing there the night before I arrive. Damn.

This stuff doesn't have to be close to Lawndale. I'm willing to drive pretty much anywhere.
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

That show is sold out, so whats the use.

Oh yeah, youre gonna wanna drive on sunset when you get here.

Supre, stop trying to convince us you're straight, it won't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Vegas drivers are the worst.
    Always wear a helmut

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    jumbos is always a blast. go there. i'll meet ya for a drink
    wacky little dive bikini bar, where they actually play good music. Random Fact: that is where Courtney love got her start
    portos too, I'll meet ya for a potato ball
    I have two friends who work there: Blue and AM (Anne Marie). Both of them compete in athletic pole dance competitions.
    Always wear a helmut

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    That show is sold out, so whats the use.

Oh yeah, youre gonna wanna drive on sunset when you get here.
    Oh lawd... I'm not trying to get in a car accident... hopefully enough scantily clad ladies at Jumbo's, and then at Coachella will make this tease not necessary.
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

Supre, stop trying to convince us you're straight, it won't work.

I think youre still trying to convince yourself you have a big dick. So.........

Lord I HATE that shift from the 405 to the 101. That is the worst fucking interchange ever.
    Actually, it is light years better since they opened up the Ventura offramp exit and made it also into the 101 N lane. Traffic runs much smoother now going down the hill. It's still freaking scary, like Patrick mentioned, with these people speeding along and not realizing how quickly cars brake on that hill. You seriously need to stay like 5 seconds behind the car in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

But anyways, any other suggestions mainly for dive bars or clubs would be cool. Especially on a Tue or Wednesday...
    Lawndale's such a random area but I guess it'll work. At first I read it as Lancaster and thought WTF? Lawndale's much much closer to LA.

Anyhoo... I'd suggest a bar in Santa Monica on Wilshire called Renee's. It's one of my favorite bars on the west side during the week. On the weekends it gets jam packed with guys, which is great for me but not for you (I assume you are a dude for some reason). It has a super cute spanish mission style outdoor courtyard with white christmas lights up all year round. Decently priced alcohol for Santa Monica.

I also suggest The Gaslite just up the street for a karaoke place. On the weekends it's horrendous and so packed with the greek system that you can't even cross the room, but during the week it's pretty chill.

One of the cheapest dive bars I've been to on the west side is Backstage in Culver City right next to the Sony lot. On Tuesdays they have $2 well drinks & domestic beers. They used to have a Rock Band contest on Mondays but they don't have it up on their website anymore so I don't know if that changed.

A pretty good club I just went to on Saturday was called the V Lounge, which is actually right next door to the Gaslite. So you could hit up both if you wanted. Get a good buzz going at Gaslite and then roll into V Lounge for some dancing cause their drinks are way overpriced. It didn't get busy til about 10:30 or 11 on Saturday, but it was a great mix of people and it felt very comfortable. There was a decent mash up DJ...sort of a Z Trip-lite, if you will.

There's also a slew of bars within walking distance of each other on Main Street in Santa Monica. Finn McCool's, O'Briens, Rick's Tavern, and Library Alehouse.

Oh I will also suggest The Daily Pint on Pico up by Santa Monica College. It's super divey, but not in the cool hipster way. You'll probably be the youngest person there.

I guess that's enough for West LA. Maybe I'll make some Hollywood suggestions tomorrow.

I actually do have a huge fucking beef with Downtown Los Angeles. Specifically the Freeway On Ramp of Death.

Who in the HELL decided this was a good idea? You're cruising down the 110 S, you know you'll have to be in the right lane eventually to get onto the 10 W. Oh look, if I take the 6th St exit, I can stay in the left lane of the exit and it will take me right back onto the 110, right by the 10 merging lane. Perfect. You get up to the top of the hill and OHMYFUCKINGGOD THERE'S ANOTHER ON RAMP RIGHT NEXT TO ME WHICH IS IN MY BLIND SIDE UNTIL THE LAST POSSIBLE SECOND. The first time I went this way, my friend was driving, and he warned me to be aware of merging cars to my left. So the next time I was here, I was in my car alone and said out loud to myself, "Now go slow, Tessa, and remember the merging lane on your left." IT DOESN'T FUCKING MATTER. You need to stay at least 35-40 mph since you're about to merge back onto the 110, and by the time you can actually see any cars to your left, they are up on you. An old honda hatchback and I full on sideswiped each other right here, I almost completely swerved into the guard rail which would have sent me careening down onto the 110 and death, but somehow managed to get the car back under control and get ahead of the other car so we could both make it down the on ramp. And then the dude took off without a second glance.

This road needs to be blown up.

You wanna try driving to Victorville i'll put you up and let you experiance the desert like olny a 26 yr vet could. Jack rabbits, beer, driving your rental 100+MPH on a dry lake bed you name it! we can also throw ninja stars at lifted trucks, there are ape load of bros!
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    I've done a lot of things at music festivals in my day. And like most people, sure, I've fingered some butt holes during LCD Soundsystem. No big.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Lawndale's such a random area but I guess it'll work. At first I read it as Lancaster and thought WTF? Lawndale's much much closer to LA.

Anyhoo... I'd suggest a bar in Santa Monica on Wilshire called Renee's. It's one of my favorite bars on the west side during the week. On the weekends it gets jam packed with guys, which is great for me but not for you (I assume you are a dude for some reason). It has a super cute spanish mission style outdoor courtyard with white christmas lights up all year round. Decently priced alcohol for Santa Monica.

I also suggest The Gaslite just up the street for a karaoke place. On the weekends it's horrendous and so packed with the greek system that you can't even cross the room, but during the week it's pretty chill.

One of the cheapest dive bars I've been to on the west side is Backstage in Culver City right next to the Sony lot. On Tuesdays they have $2 well drinks & domestic beers. They used to have a Rock Band contest on Mondays but they don't have it up on their website anymore so I don't know if that changed.

A pretty good club I just went to on Saturday was called the V Lounge, which is actually right next door to the Gaslite. So you could hit up both if you wanted. Get a good buzz going at Gaslite and then roll into V Lounge for some dancing cause their drinks are way overpriced. It didn't get busy til about 10:30 or 11 on Saturday, but it was a great mix of people and it felt very comfortable. There was a decent mash up DJ...sort of a Z Trip-lite, if you will.

There's also a slew of bars within walking distance of each other on Main Street in Santa Monica. Finn McCool's, O'Briens, Rick's Tavern, and Library Alehouse.

Oh I will also suggest The Daily Pint on Pico up by Santa Monica College. It's super divey, but not in the cool hipster way. You'll probably be the youngest person there.

I guess that's enough for West LA. Maybe I'll make some Hollywood suggestions tomorrow.
    Wow thank you for this... I'll have a rental car, so I don't need to be close to Lawndale... it's just cheap and close to LAX... So anywhere within say... 30-45 minutes is fine too...
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

Quote Originally Posted by IRSCOTT View Post
    You wanna try driving to Victorville i'll put you up and let you experiance the desert like olny a 26 yr vet could. Jack rabbits, beer, driving your rental 100+MPH on a dry lake bed you name it! we can also throw ninja stars at lifted trucks, there are ape load of bros!
    hehe this does sound tempting...
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

On Tuesday nights, you're best bet is Rimjob at MJ's in Silverlake. Cheap drinks, dirty go-go boys...probably not you're scene though
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex

vinylmartyr

Is that the place near the trader joe's?

Guys,

I'm flying into LA the Tuesday before the fest. Just gonna chill for a couple days in town before heading out the campsite Thur afternoon. Suggestions for some places to go/see/eat at? Clubs? Bars? Hole-in-the-walls?
    As far as food goes, yur gonna wanna hit Apple Pan and Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles. Also, if you are in/by Santa Monica you wanna hit Bay Cities Deli on Lincoln. Best Deli in all of LA (as far as subs go, at least), put that on my life.

PS: Is your sig quoting the song Selfish? Cuz if it is, you sir are a badass. That track is not nearly remembered as it should be.
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

Bay Cities is fucking fantastic.
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

It's right down the street from my apt. I went there yesterday at 4 pm and it was CLOSED. What is that all about??

It's closed on Mondays
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....