Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Questions for the People of Los Angeles

Default Re: Questions for the People of Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Gunz, sometimes...
    SOMEtimes?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

I got it. It's all good.

Cheap goods, jobs vs better life for those that don't participate in the Mostco/Ball Marts of the world .... ok, too simple ..I don't buy my electronics at a mom and pops ....
    . cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I don't understand. Are you saying cheap jobs are worth cheap electronics?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    they are usually in the outskirts, suburbs, strip malls, etc.
    Where Gunz lives.

Honestly, I would brush off a lot of the WalMart criticisms by just saying, "Look, you can't fight capitalism. Capitalism isn't just a theory, it's an immutable law of nature. People consume whatever is the best option for them, in this case being cheapest and most convenient option, and the sad reality is that an entity with that kind of power is probably going to fuck over a lot of people. I'm sure fountain soda shops were really pissed when convenience stores started selling coke in bottles, but them's the breaks." Except for this disgusting fact:

Wal-Mart takes out life insurance policies on all of its employees. That pay Wal-Mart. So they move into an area, put smaller operations out of business, thus forcing local residents to come work at Wal-Mart for mediocre-to-shitty wages with no health coverage. AND THEN THEY TAKE OUT LIFE INSURANCE ON THOSE EMPLOYEES THEY REFUSE HEALTH COVERAGE TO.

THAT is fucked up. I do not understand how there cannot be some kind of law made against that. I mean holy shit, that's like vertical integration except with PEOPLE. "Let's give them almost no option but to work for us, then refuse to pay them enough to get medical treatment nor give them any kind of medical insurance, then collect nice settlements when they die."
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Yes Supre, I am clearly a Wal-Mart expert.
    Last edited by algunz; 04-29-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Apparently when this Wal-mart was initially accepting job applications, they ended up getting over 3000 apps for something like 100 open jobs. The demand for work is there, despite complaints about conditions and wages.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post

Wal-Mart takes out life insurance policies on all of its employees. That pay Wal-Mart. So they move into an area, put smaller operations out of business, thus forcing local residents to come work at Wal-Mart for mediocre-to-shitty wages with no health coverage. AND THEN THEY TAKE OUT LIFE INSURANCE ON THOSE EMPLOYEES THEY REFUSE HEALTH COVERAGE TO.

THAT is fucked up. I do not understand how there cannot be some kind of law made against that. I mean holy shit, that's like vertical integration except with PEOPLE. "Let's give them almost no option but to work for us, then refuse to pay them enough to get medical treatment nor give them any kind of medical insurance, then collect nice settlements when they die."
    There are many big companies that do this. Michael Moore covered this subject in one of his documentaries, showing the wife and family of a man that passed away now struggling to make ends meet on one income, while his employer got hundreds of thousands of dollars paid to them after his death. There is apparently some website where you can look and see if an employer has a policy out on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

People of LA,

What's the deal with Highland Park? From some people I hear it's a cool place to live, from others I hear it's all gangsters and danger. It looks like an alright neighborhood to me and I'm considering moving there. Has anyone spent a lot of time there? What did you find were the pros and cons of HLP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

I know lots of people that live there. it's slowly gentrifying and has its own neighborhoods with their own individual issues, but generally it's seen as a very family oriented place. I was looking into when Heather and I were looking to buy a house, and our problem was that a lot of the streets are still pretty messed up and there are a lot of run down, closed up building and garbage and stuff all over the place. In general I think it's mostly safe, but it's definitely still very "up and coming," despite an influx of cool bars and shops on York street and a couple other main strips. The population is definitely very dense as a lot of the houses are filled with huge multi-generational Hispanic families. I do know for a fact that there are several halfway houses and sober-living homes there as well, if that's something you care about (I've visited friends there). It still feels a little too much like a Boyle Heights or La Puente to me, but the location and proximity to bigger urban centers is pretty great.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Thanks! That was basically the vibe I've gotten when I have visited the neighborhood but I wanted someone who has actually spent some time there to break it down for me so I don't have to trust realtors, landlords, yelp reviews, and outdated forum posts online. It seems like it's slowly gentrifying but I think its gentrification seem to be grossly overrated on the internet. The good news is that I can afford to rent a cute house with a view just a couple of blocks away from York as well as a gold line stop, so that is a good step up for me (a more walkable neighborhood than I live in now and easier access to public transportation). I also love that it's close enough to the action of LA without being right in LA, and that there are hills and lots of trees (not just palm trees), which is something I miss a lot about the Bay Area.

Just like Echo Park and what Drinkey explained these neighborhoods are slowly gentrifying. You will see working class hispanic families. Young hipsters looking for cheap rent. Up and coming bars/restaurants. Some parts are super gangster others very trendy. In Echo Park once you cross under the 101 freeway towards Temple St it gets much worse. The opposite end not so much. Same shit in HLP.
    Four Tet - Mohawk - 3/1
    Mac Demarco - Mohawk - 4/13

WeHo > many areas in LA

Jus sucks when you need to get on a freeway during the rush hours

I call bullshit on it getting worse in Echo/MacArthur. I lived in that area for four years and never had any issues. It's like the description Andrew posted above: multi-generational hispanic families with high population density. I LOVED that area, and Highland Park reminded me quite a bit of my part of LA. You get to have a real community in those neighborhoods, with people who you see all the time at the same stores and bars and restaurants. It's great.

Can anyone recommend an authentic, yet affordable, sashimi place in Little Tokyo?
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

HAMA HAMA HAMA HAMA HAMA

Some of the best in Los Angeles!
    last.fm

Great, thanks. Hopefully it gets my Japanese friend's seal of approval.
    Philip Glass Ensemble - Philip Glass - Tycho - William Tyler - Nickel Creek - Jandek - The Mountain Goats - Hopscotch 2014

You probably have more discriminating taste then your Japanese friend

Well she gave me a bit of shit for eating sushi rolls made by Koreans, so...

Gimbap is delicious, she's tripping. Anyways don't put that sashimi on a pedestal.

This guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    WeHo > many areas in LA

Jus sucks when you need to get on a freeway during the rush hours
    WeHo is great...I work in "the straight part of WeHo" aka the Sunset Strip so I'm pretty familiar with the area. I love it over there! It's just pricey to live and I never see any kids there. It's definitely more of a single person's area of town.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I call bullshit on it getting worse in Echo/MacArthur. I lived in that area for four years and never had any issues. It's like the description Andrew posted above: multi-generational hispanic families with high population density. I LOVED that area, and Highland Park reminded me quite a bit of my part of LA. You get to have a real community in those neighborhoods, with people who you see all the time at the same stores and bars and restaurants. It's great.
    This is encouraging and that's basically what I'm looking for, a more walkable and accessible actual neighborhood with people I run into a lot. FWIW, I've never really been "scared" of Echo Park either and I think it can be charming. I can deal with crime and don't need a spotless part of town live in...but since I've never really ventured to HLP before I just want to make sure I wasn't getting into something stupid. I can't believe I have lived in LA for 5 years and still haven't explored every part of it.

Yeah i don't think the southern part of Echo Park is scary, but Alvarado/Wilshire sure can be overwhelming.

I get the same shit from people about where I live, which has a lot of ski row crossover. it kind of boggles my mind that people are so terrified of homeless people, who generally want nothing to do with anybody after dark when they're just trying to get some sleep.
    last.fm

Ktown is sketchy

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    HAMA HAMA HAMA HAMA HAMA

Some of the best in Los Angeles!
    YES!!!

That place is great. Fresh Fresh Fresh.

I've eaten at Hama twice (thanks to Drinkey's rec). Deliiiicious.

4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

People of DTLA,

I'm driving up from SD for the Spiritualized show on Friday and staying at the Sheraton at S. Hope and 7th St.

I plan to walk from the hotel to Spring Street Bar for dinner and beers, then walk from Spring Street to the show at the Ace Hotel, then walk back to the Sheraton after the show. Is that area reasonably safe for walking alone at those hours or should I cab it?

Any advice on overnight parking near the hotel? The hotel is valet-only and charges $37/night.

If there are better beer/food (gotta have good beer) options within walking, I'd like hearing about those, too.

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by gazercmh View Post
    People of DTLA,

I'm driving up from SD for the Spiritualized show on Friday and staying at the Sheraton at S. Hope and 7th St.

I plan to walk from the hotel to Spring Street Bar for dinner and beers, then walk from Spring Street to the show at the Ace Hotel, then walk back to the Sheraton after the show. Is that area reasonably safe for walking alone at those hours or should I cab it?

Any advice on overnight parking near the hotel? The hotel is valet-only and charges $37/night.

If there are better beer/food (gotta have good beer) options within walking, I'd like hearing about those, too.

Thanks...
    walking in that area is fine. it will be crowded with bar hoppers until 2am. sixth street tavern is a nice bar with good tap options.. as far as parking goes, just drive around and look for a lot and ask about overnight parking.

Try to make your way to Far Bar after the concert. They get really good beers and sometimes things you won't see too many other places. It's a bit out of the way, but you could cab and/or metro there.