Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 38

Thread: The solution to budget band signing

  1. #1

    Default The solution to budget band signing

    Is certainly not signing popular mediocre affordable bands... But completely sidestepping that idea and signing bands with unorthodox intentions. I think we can all agree that an affordable and good Coachella could happen, so why shouldn't it?

    How much would it cost to sign a band like Muse? Do you think Damon's ego is expensive enough to prevent a subheadlining spot for Blur or Gorillaz? Seriously now.

    With that said which affordable and plausible bands do you think would most efficiently turn a budgeted Coachella into an amazingly stacked Coachella?

  2. #2
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    I will be happy with great subheadliners and lower tier bands and if we get awesome headliners thats cool. People should look at it from the standpoint that there are great bands that are willing to lower their fee just for the exposure the chance to be at one of the most pretigious festivals in the world.

  3. #3
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,477

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    My dream Coachella would have The Flaming Lips UFO Show headline a night. I wonder how much that is?

  4. #4
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Flaming Lips are a good band that probably plays at a reasonable price they love to play and are lots of fun live. I think Goldenvoices best strategy would have been to look at this board this year and see who people really want and try to culminate the line up from suggestions. There has been great discussion and debate in the latter half of 2008 and this beginning of 2009

  5. #5

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    That is very true. A strong undercard with many indie bands with potential can really save just about any Coachella I imagine. Like last year as soon as I started researching bands like Cut/Copy, MGMT, Vampire Weekend... My anticipation amplified. However, there is no way around the fact that Coachella needs appealing names at the top of the bill, and not mediocre bands that Goldenvoice wants to promote just because of their affordability.

    A band shouldn't be focused on just for affordability, but unique significance, and distinction from the other major festivals... With affordability slightly taken into account. This no way has to do with the idea of shelling out millions for The Smiths, Led Zeppelin, Talking Heads, Red Hot Chili Peppers...

    Let me just put it this way. Last year when I went it was probably the best show I've ever been to, and yet nobody I knew was as excited about it as much as me. I was astonished to see bands like Portishead, Prince, Kraftwerk, etc. It was kind of like one of those things you had to be there to understand. At one festival you have Radioheads an Pearl Jams... What other festival has a headliner as flamboyant and exclusive as Prince? It was it's own festival. Now I don't know how affordable bands like that can be, of course not another Prince, but I know Goldenvoice can keep pulling it off and they have no reason not to.

  6. #6
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,477

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by futureperfect View Post
    Flaming Lips are a good band that probably plays at a reasonable price they love to play and are lots of fun live. I think Goldenvoices best strategy would have been to look at this board this year and see who people really want and try to culminate the line up from suggestions. There has been great discussion and debate in the latter half of 2008 and this beginning of 2009
    There indeed have been plenty of these discussions, but unfortunately most of them are just "radiohead and bowie!!" posts. Also, Psychic Friend works for GV and is in contact with Paul T, so i'm sure they know what are suggestions are.

    The problem is though, most of the suggestions are unrealistic or sometimes they dont follow with the business model they use. GV knows what to pick that'll make us happy as well as them.

    and my dream headliners are:

    Flaming Lips UFO Show
    NIN
    The Cure

    which doesnt sound that expensive I guess.

  7. #7
    Member Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico : Isla Del Encanto
    Posts
    586

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    save coachella please. cause coachella is getting very very lame. ^ and thats a good bill

  8. #8

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    And of course a headlining lineup as deathly bland, cheap, and second-rate as The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and Neil Young is well... A fuckin' waking nightmare. I guess then I would really have to see what the closing Sahara Tent is all about. The Killers and FF are heavily rumored to be there but they should be at most sub-headliners, underneath budgeted and unique headliners like Flaming Lips, Muse...

    I guess more than anything I want to be punched in the gut with surprise. The type of surprise outside any present rumor.

  9. #9
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There indeed have been plenty of these discussions, but unfortunately most of them are just "radiohead and bowie!!" posts. Also, Psychic Friend works for GV and is in contact with Paul T, so i'm sure they know what are suggestions are.

    The problem is though, most of the suggestions are unrealistic or sometimes they dont follow with the business model they use. GV knows what to pick that'll make us happy as well as them.

    and my dream headliners are:

    Flaming Lips UFO Show
    NIN
    The Cure

    which doesnt sound that expensive I guess.
    Im down with all of those bands but I dont know if the Cure could top the last time I saw them 3 hours straight no break.

  10. #10
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,477

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
    And of course a headlining lineup as deathly bland, cheap, and second-rate as The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and Neil Young is well... A fuckin' waking nightmare. I guess then I would really have to see what the closing Sahara Tent is all about. The Killers and FF are heavily rumored to be there but they should be at most sub-headliners, underneath budgeted and unique headliners like Flaming Lips, Muse...

    I guess more than anything I want to be punched in the gut with surprise. The type of surprise outside any present rumor.
    The Killers will most likely headline. Might as well prepare for it.

    I doubt Franz will though. So don't worry about that.

  11. #11
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,477

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by futureperfect View Post
    Im down with all of those bands but I dont know if the Cure could top the last time I saw them 3 hours straight no break.
    I'm still kicking myself for not seeing them in 2008. They played in DC, the night before Radiohead did (I was at the RH show though). While in line for the RH show, I found out that the night before, The Cure played for 3 hours, opening with my favorite song by them of all time: Plainsong.

    Probably one of the biggest musical mistakes i've ever made. Hence why i want them to be at Coachella.

  12. #12
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Yeah I saw Radiohead here in Dallas a couple of days before the Cure came. I rarely miss UK bands when they come through and the Cure has never disappointed me. The coolest thing they did was play half of Three Imaginary Boys at the end of the show then close with A Forest.

  13. #13
    Member Mr. E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Puerto Rico : Isla Del Encanto
    Posts
    586

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    the cure rules...the killers dont lol so im down fot he cure at coachella

  14. #14
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    the cure rules...the killers dont lol so im down fot he cure at coachella
    Word I second that motion. Who wants some perpetrators when you can have the real thing.

  15. #15
    Memorial_07
    Guest

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Cocteau Twins need to return after dropping out in '05.

    Now is their time

  16. #16
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    Cocteau Twins need to return after dropping out in '05.

    Now is their time
    That would be cool. Last time I saw them was in 93 for Four Calendar Cafe. I did get to see Liz Frazier sing Teardrop with Massive Attack on their tour in 06 so that was the closest I will get to seeing them again I guess.

  17. #17
    Memorial_07
    Guest

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    I really hate you.
    You got to see them tour in support of my favorite album of theirs.


    1. How was the show?

    2. Did they play bluebeard?

  18. #18
    Member magmazing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    800

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    and my dream headliners are:

    Flaming Lips UFO Show
    NIN
    The Cure

    which doesnt sound that expensive I guess.
    If that's your dream headliners you should've gone to Sasquatch and Pemberton last year. The UFO Show and The Cure headlined the last two days at Sasquatch. NIN headlined the the first day of Pemberton and Flaming Lips also performed a regular set there.
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing


    My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

    My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

  19. #19
    man-homie obzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cacapoopoopeepeeshire
    Posts
    15,952

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
    That is very true. A strong undercard with many indie bands with potential can really save just about any Coachella I imagine

    neh-maybe for you
    -GV cant just throw a bunch of cookie cutter indie bands at this problem,theres only so much you can go through before it all becomes indistinguishable,just like any other genre for that matter
    its all about being creative,innovative and diverse-i sure as hell dont wanna see the polo fields half-full with a bunch of 'high-brow indie douchebags' or 'pseudo intellectual emo bros'-nothing personal towards you,mind you-i just needed to throw in my

  20. #20
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    I really hate you.
    You got to see them tour in support of my favorite album of theirs.


    1. How was the show?

    2. Did they play bluebeard?

    It was an amazing show cause it was in a small club. Yes they did play Bluebeard. I have the Bluebeard ep with the acoustic version that is very delicious. I was always a fan of Robin Gunthrie the one thing he did wrong though was mess up Lush's album Spooky it was so mechanical they are one of my all time favorite bands along with the Cocteau's and it would be amazing to see them again.

  21. #21
    Old Gay Guy gaypalmsprings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    20,563

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    don't forget it's also an arts festival

  22. #22
    Memorial_07
    Guest

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by futureperfect View Post
    It was an amazing show cause it was in a small club. Yes they did play Bluebeard. I have the Bluebeard ep with the acoustic version that is very delicious. I was always a fan of Robin Gunthrie the one thing he did wrong though was mess up Lush's album Spooky it was so mechanical they are one of my all time favorite bands along with the Cocteau's and it would be amazing to see them again.

    How did it sound live?

    And We need to pray that they will come back.

    Can you remember any of the other songs from the show?

  23. #23
    Member stewboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Best Cure experience ever is seeing them play 10:15 Saturday Night exactly at 10:15 on a Saturday night. But I guess a three hour set is a close second.

    Drip drip drip ...

  24. #24
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by stewboss View Post
    Best Cure experience ever is seeing them play 10:15 Saturday Night exactly at 10:15 on a Saturday night. But I guess a three hour set is a close second.

    Drip drip drip ...
    Yeah I saw them do another 3 hour set in 96 for Wild Mood Swings tour but the 2008 tour totally eclipsed that.

  25. #25
    man-homie obzen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Cacapoopoopeepeeshire
    Posts
    15,952

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by futureperfect View Post
    Yeah I saw them do another 3 hour set in 96 for Wild Mood Swings tour but the 2008 tour totally eclipsed that.
    liked wild mood swings,really.






    makes me nostalgic.

  26. #26
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    How did it sound live?

    And We need to pray that they will come back.

    Can you remember any of the other songs from the show?
    The sound was great they played Bluebeard, Iceblink Luck, Evangeline, 50/50 Clown, Know Who You are at Every Age, Blood Bitch, Summerhead, Cherry Colored Funk, Orange Appled, Essence, Loves Easy Tears, Cico Buff and some others I cant remember

  27. #27
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    liked wild mood swings,really.






    makes me nostalgic.
    Wild Mood Swings was the happiest Cure album ever lol.

  28. #28
    old school microcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    lansing_mi
    Posts
    2,681

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    The Cure love in here is refreshing. GV should give them a 2.5/3 hr. set if they're ever invited back. That's when they shine their brightest. I hope Roger Waters will set a new trend for epic length performances at future Coachellas.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

  29. #29
    old school whynotsmile99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    LA, but I miss Ventura
    Posts
    5,302

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    i say bring on more world acts. probably wouldn't sell tickets though, shitty
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

  30. #30
    Coachella Junkie
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,477

    Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

    Quote Originally Posted by magmazing View Post
    If that's your dream headliners you should've gone to Sasquatch and Pemberton last year. The UFO Show and The Cure headlined the last two days at Sasquatch. NIN headlined the the first day of Pemberton and Flaming Lips also performed a regular set there.
    I know. But I listen to mainly electronic music, something that Sasquatch doesn't really have much of for me. I would have gone for the headliners and maybe 2 or 3 other acts. Pemberton was pretty nice though - I would have loved to have gone to that, also to see Coldplay a few other acts as well. It had a very nice lineup.

Similar Threads

  1. virgin signing
    By matsuolost in forum Line Up/Artists
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 12:19 AM
  2. Solution: My band will play instead of Jack Johnson
    By JoshTheBoyd in forum Misc. Babble
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 05:34 PM
  3. Signing tent
    By Benny in forum Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 04:01 PM
  4. The *BUDGET* thread
    By Good Days Last in forum Questions
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 02-27-2007, 06:14 PM
  5. Signing tent
    By miguel in forum Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 04:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •