Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The solution to budget band signing

Default The solution to budget band signing

Is certainly not signing popular mediocre affordable bands... But completely sidestepping that idea and signing bands with unorthodox intentions. I think we can all agree that an affordable and good Coachella could happen, so why shouldn't it?

How much would it cost to sign a band like Muse? Do you think Damon's ego is expensive enough to prevent a subheadlining spot for Blur or Gorillaz? Seriously now.

With that said which affordable and plausible bands do you think would most efficiently turn a budgeted Coachella into an amazingly stacked Coachella?

Default Re: The solution to budget band signing

I will be happy with great subheadliners and lower tier bands and if we get awesome headliners thats cool. People should look at it from the standpoint that there are great bands that are willing to lower their fee just for the exposure the chance to be at one of the most pretigious festivals in the world.

Coachella Junkie

My dream Coachella would have The Flaming Lips UFO Show headline a night. I wonder how much that is?

Flaming Lips are a good band that probably plays at a reasonable price they love to play and are lots of fun live. I think Goldenvoices best strategy would have been to look at this board this year and see who people really want and try to culminate the line up from suggestions. There has been great discussion and debate in the latter half of 2008 and this beginning of 2009

That is very true. A strong undercard with many indie bands with potential can really save just about any Coachella I imagine. Like last year as soon as I started researching bands like Cut/Copy, MGMT, Vampire Weekend... My anticipation amplified. However, there is no way around the fact that Coachella needs appealing names at the top of the bill, and not mediocre bands that Goldenvoice wants to promote just because of their affordability.

A band shouldn't be focused on just for affordability, but unique significance, and distinction from the other major festivals... With affordability slightly taken into account. This no way has to do with the idea of shelling out millions for The Smiths, Led Zeppelin, Talking Heads, Red Hot Chili Peppers...

Let me just put it this way. Last year when I went it was probably the best show I've ever been to, and yet nobody I knew was as excited about it as much as me. I was astonished to see bands like Portishead, Prince, Kraftwerk, etc. It was kind of like one of those things you had to be there to understand. At one festival you have Radioheads an Pearl Jams... What other festival has a headliner as flamboyant and exclusive as Prince? It was it's own festival. Now I don't know how affordable bands like that can be, of course not another Prince, but I know Goldenvoice can keep pulling it off and they have no reason not to.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by futureperfect View Post
    Flaming Lips are a good band that probably plays at a reasonable price they love to play and are lots of fun live. I think Goldenvoices best strategy would have been to look at this board this year and see who people really want and try to culminate the line up from suggestions. There has been great discussion and debate in the latter half of 2008 and this beginning of 2009
    There indeed have been plenty of these discussions, but unfortunately most of them are just "radiohead and bowie!!" posts. Also, Psychic Friend works for GV and is in contact with Paul T, so i'm sure they know what are suggestions are.

The problem is though, most of the suggestions are unrealistic or sometimes they dont follow with the business model they use. GV knows what to pick that'll make us happy as well as them.

and my dream headliners are:

Flaming Lips UFO Show
    NIN
    The Cure

which doesnt sound that expensive I guess.

save coachella please. cause coachella is getting very very lame. ^ and thats a good bill

And of course a headlining lineup as deathly bland, cheap, and second-rate as The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and Neil Young is well... A fuckin' waking nightmare. I guess then I would really have to see what the closing Sahara Tent is all about. The Killers and FF are heavily rumored to be there but they should be at most sub-headliners, underneath budgeted and unique headliners like Flaming Lips, Muse...

I guess more than anything I want to be punched in the gut with surprise. The type of surprise outside any present rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There indeed have been plenty of these discussions, but unfortunately most of them are just "radiohead and bowie!!" posts. Also, Psychic Friend works for GV and is in contact with Paul T, so i'm sure they know what are suggestions are.

The problem is though, most of the suggestions are unrealistic or sometimes they dont follow with the business model they use. GV knows what to pick that'll make us happy as well as them.

Flaming Lips UFO Show
    NIN
    The Cure

Im down with all of those bands but I dont know if the Cure could top the last time I saw them 3 hours straight no break.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
    And of course a headlining lineup as deathly bland, cheap, and second-rate as The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, and Neil Young is well... A fuckin' waking nightmare. I guess then I would really have to see what the closing Sahara Tent is all about. The Killers and FF are heavily rumored to be there but they should be at most sub-headliners, underneath budgeted and unique headliners like Flaming Lips, Muse...

I guess more than anything I want to be punched in the gut with surprise. The type of surprise outside any present rumor.
    The Killers will most likely headline. Might as well prepare for it.

I doubt Franz will though. So don't worry about that.

Coachella Junkie

Im down with all of those bands but I dont know if the Cure could top the last time I saw them 3 hours straight no break.
    I'm still kicking myself for not seeing them in 2008. They played in DC, the night before Radiohead did (I was at the RH show though). While in line for the RH show, I found out that the night before, The Cure played for 3 hours, opening with my favorite song by them of all time: Plainsong.

Probably one of the biggest musical mistakes i've ever made. Hence why i want them to be at Coachella.

Yeah I saw Radiohead here in Dallas a couple of days before the Cure came. I rarely miss UK bands when they come through and the Cure has never disappointed me. The coolest thing they did was play half of Three Imaginary Boys at the end of the show then close with A Forest.

the cure rules...the killers dont lol so im down fot he cure at coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    the cure rules...the killers dont lol so im down fot he cure at coachella
    Word I second that motion. Who wants some perpetrators when you can have the real thing.

Memorial_07

Cocteau Twins need to return after dropping out in '05.

Now is their time

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    Cocteau Twins need to return after dropping out in '05.

Now is their time
    That would be cool. Last time I saw them was in 93 for Four Calendar Cafe. I did get to see Liz Frazier sing Teardrop with Massive Attack on their tour in 06 so that was the closest I will get to seeing them again I guess.

Memorial_07

I really hate you.
    You got to see them tour in support of my favorite album of theirs.

1. How was the show?

2. Did they play bluebeard?

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post

Flaming Lips UFO Show
    NIN
    The Cure

If that's your dream headliners you should've gone to Sasquatch and Pemberton last year. The UFO Show and The Cure headlined the last two days at Sasquatch. NIN headlined the the first day of Pemberton and Flaming Lips also performed a regular set there.
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
    That is very true. A strong undercard with many indie bands with potential can really save just about any Coachella I imagine

neh-maybe for you
    -GV cant just throw a bunch of cookie cutter indie bands at this problem,theres only so much you can go through before it all becomes indistinguishable,just like any other genre for that matter
    its all about being creative,innovative and diverse-i sure as hell dont wanna see the polo fields half-full with a bunch of 'high-brow indie douchebags' or 'pseudo intellectual emo bros'-nothing personal towards you,mind you-i just needed to throw in my

I really hate you.
    You got to see them tour in support of my favorite album of theirs.

1. How was the show?

2. Did they play bluebeard?

It was an amazing show cause it was in a small club. Yes they did play Bluebeard. I have the Bluebeard ep with the acoustic version that is very delicious. I was always a fan of Robin Gunthrie the one thing he did wrong though was mess up Lush's album Spooky it was so mechanical they are one of my all time favorite bands along with the Cocteau's and it would be amazing to see them again.

don't forget it's also an arts festival

Memorial_07

It was an amazing show cause it was in a small club. Yes they did play Bluebeard. I have the Bluebeard ep with the acoustic version that is very delicious. I was always a fan of Robin Gunthrie the one thing he did wrong though was mess up Lush's album Spooky it was so mechanical they are one of my all time favorite bands along with the Cocteau's and it would be amazing to see them again.

How did it sound live?

And We need to pray that they will come back.

Can you remember any of the other songs from the show?

Best Cure experience ever is seeing them play 10:15 Saturday Night exactly at 10:15 on a Saturday night. But I guess a three hour set is a close second.

Drip drip drip ...

Quote Originally Posted by stewboss View Post
    Best Cure experience ever is seeing them play 10:15 Saturday Night exactly at 10:15 on a Saturday night. But I guess a three hour set is a close second.

Drip drip drip ...
    Yeah I saw them do another 3 hour set in 96 for Wild Mood Swings tour but the 2008 tour totally eclipsed that.

Yeah I saw them do another 3 hour set in 96 for Wild Mood Swings tour but the 2008 tour totally eclipsed that.
    liked wild mood swings,really.

makes me nostalgic.

How did it sound live?

And We need to pray that they will come back.

Can you remember any of the other songs from the show?
    The sound was great they played Bluebeard, Iceblink Luck, Evangeline, 50/50 Clown, Know Who You are at Every Age, Blood Bitch, Summerhead, Cherry Colored Funk, Orange Appled, Essence, Loves Easy Tears, Cico Buff and some others I cant remember

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    liked wild mood swings,really.

makes me nostalgic.
    Wild Mood Swings was the happiest Cure album ever lol.

The Cure love in here is refreshing. GV should give them a 2.5/3 hr. set if they're ever invited back. That's when they shine their brightest. I hope Roger Waters will set a new trend for epic length performances at future Coachellas.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

i say bring on more world acts. probably wouldn't sell tickets though, shitty
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by magmazing View Post
    If that's your dream headliners you should've gone to Sasquatch and Pemberton last year. The UFO Show and The Cure headlined the last two days at Sasquatch. NIN headlined the the first day of Pemberton and Flaming Lips also performed a regular set there.
    I know. But I listen to mainly electronic music, something that Sasquatch doesn't really have much of for me. I would have gone for the headliners and maybe 2 or 3 other acts. Pemberton was pretty nice though - I would have loved to have gone to that, also to see Coldplay a few other acts as well. It had a very nice lineup.