Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol '09 Thread

Default Re: American Idol '09 Thread

Thanks. That was nice of you to share.

Quote Originally Posted by pocket View Post

and the "live performance" is done live (though on tape delay just in case). the thing they dont want you to know is that they have already rehearsed it before in the day and they often use shots from the rehearsal in the play back. so if they want to screw over a contestant, when they are recapping their performance they can pick which one sounded better and go with it. i hope this makes sense. it is live, but parts of it are not, and because parts of it arent they can make people look worse or better than they really were.
    i was aware of the rehearsals. Once i had a friend sit in one during the McPhee/Taylor season. After he placed bets on what he saw and won some "easy money". He said his wager was based on a kid stinking up the place.

It is a little disheartening to hear about using the rehearsal footage in the recap at the end of the show. The attempts to steer the show seem more about power tripping than captivating the audience. i think the audience would still love and watch the show if none of these attempts were made.

Quote Originally Posted by pocket View Post

and when a camera is on anyone for 24 hours, i know, i can make anyone look great or terrible. just think about your normal day, i am sure there are 2 minutes a day that you do something dumb or something thats not you. well thats all we need.
    yep. i used to werk in radio. When i was an intern at KROQ, one night a dj i was werking with recorded a 10 minute conversation with Joey McIntyre (sp) from New Kids on the Block. It was a pleasant chat, but when it was over he asked me to cut it to sound like he was being a dick to the New Kid. 2 songs later the 10 was cut to 2 and sounded just the way he wanted. All done with a razor blade and editing tape.

When Idol and other reality shows i see (Real Word is the worst) do this, there is a different look to the person being interviewed. Kind of hard to get around contestants and participants changing up their looks over a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    When Idol and other reality shows i see (Real Word is the worst) do this, there is a different look to the person being interviewed. Kind of hard to get around contestants and participants changing up their looks over a few months.
    yep, often times they have people fly back in after a show is done to do the confessional stuff for real world and such. i feel this is something all americans should be clued in on cause sometimes you have a super pale person and then in the OTFs they are tan its like who are you trying to fool.

but all this happens because they didnt get the right sound bites to start with.

oh and glad you have experience with editing and know what its like to take something and make it the complete opposite. most people tend not to get it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pocketphotography/
    i shoot all the shows you want to go to

i think the computer generation won't and / or doesn't have any problem understanding editing in a way members of past generations don't. i imagine all kids fortunate to use computers will mess around with editing sound and images in their lives. That just wasn't the case when i was a young un'.
    Last edited by ivankay; 02-13-2009 at 05:24 PM.

pocket, i had to sig you , hope you dont mind ... you replaced bob dylan so go with it ... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    pocket, i had to sig you , hope you dont mind ... you replaced bob dylan so go with it ... cr****
    woooooo i feel so honored. and to take out bob dylan, even more so.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pocketphotography/
    i shoot all the shows you want to go to

It is like you all just revealed there is no santa clause.

Actually, when I was much younger I use to think that there were a ton of little people inside the tv putting on shows for me. I wanted to break my tv open when I was a child to help Gilligan get off the island. I know 75% of this shit on "reality tv" is faked but I still enjoy watching it. It has become an addiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

The crazy chick was not one bit crazy tonight. Disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    The crazy chick was not one bit crazy tonight. Disappointing.
    she is going to loose it tomorrow though when she doesnt win .....yea i forgot all of their names but i think the 3rd chick singer, the blond with the pink streak, noop dog, and the last dude will be the three tomorrow but you never know .... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I didn't realize they were airing that tomorrow... really 2 hours of Idol is more than enough each week. I am looking forward to her getting cut, though it just goes to show that it was all an act.

Your picks are mine as well, though I didn't think the last guy (Danny) was THAT much better than everyone else tonight... he was good but I hate when they make sound as if there was only one person there who would be capable of winning the competition or being a professional singer. We've all seen performers who are far worse and yet have record deals...

Danny Gokey is gonna make it til the end. He's got a great voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

he's been my favorite since the first time he was featured, but I didn't think (tonight) that he was leagues above everyone else.

I'm still a bit shocked that his buddy got the boot. Such BS
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

yea, Jamar(?) was a cutie, i wish they'd have left them on the show together. of course, he probably would have just gotten cut after this round.

Impressions as it was being watched.

First 12 of the 36:

Jackie Tohn - "A Little Less Conversation": No umph. Outfit is terrible. Aerobic teacher moves. People are going to have to stink up the place if she's going to get through.

Ricky Braddy - "A Song for You": Voice is filling the room. He gets into the song. No mistakes. Good singing there. i agree with "lack of star quality" comment. He a regular guy with no freakishness; which is nice, but potentially boring. Should get through to the next round.

Alexis Grace - "Never Loved a Man": Going for the Duffy/Adelle/Winehouse look. Not big enough voice for the Areatha comparison. A regular girl who puts in the effort and should get through.

Brent Keith - "Hicktown": Kareokee. No command of the stage. Guy is nervous. Bad song. Shouldn't get through.

Stevie Wright - "You Belong with Me": Bad song. She's running through it. Not good for showing off singing. Ordinary. Has to rely on other people stinking to get through.

No way! Neil Patrick Harris is in the house with Ted Danson! i'm not down with this parent or spouse support on the couch.

Anoop Desai - "Angel of Mine": Star Searchy. Boring song. A standing O? Come on. i don't think it's smart to use heavy background singer songs. It minimizes the main singer. Goofy guy with a decent voice. On the edge getting through.

Casey Carlson - "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic": Oh boy, not good. Hot girl has no command of the stage. Fucking up the song. No way she makes it through. Judges are brutal and rightly so.

Michael Sarver - "I Don't Wanna Be": Bar singing. Heavy background singer error again. Lame end. Sit down audience. On the edge and might get through more on story than singing. meh.

Ann Marie Boskovich - "Natural Woman": Cruise ship. Not big enough voice for the song. Shouldn't get through.

Wolverine commercial, fuck yeah!

Steven Fowler - "Rock With You": Cruise ship partner. Bad long note. Stupid song choice. Bad performance. A lot of stinkers...could get through on that.

Tatiana Del Toro (Crazy Girl) - "Saving All My Love for You": She hits good notes. Knows how to look into the camera. Not great, but good enough. She'll get through.

Danny Gokey - "Hero": i don't dig the way this guy sings. He does that broken note thing. He's the front runner though. Crowd and judges are going too kooky. "Sold Out arenas"? Paula's nuts. Of course he's getting through. Career as a Christian singer.

Ricky Braddy sung the best. Argh, my Tivo cut off the recap.

If i was goin to pick the 3 going through: Ricky Braddy, Danny Gokey, Tatiana and Alexis being a wild card.
    Last edited by ivankay; 02-17-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Why don't you make a thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGather View Post
    Why don't you make a thread about it.
    That's a great idea.

Jokes

Semi-related note, I actually liked Blake Lewis' album (season 6 runner up).

You hit the nail on the head. christian contemporary singer, that's what his potential is. I like the guy though, he's cute and has a sad story that will take him a long way in the competition, I think. And I thought he was quite decent tonight just not better than, say, ricky.

Ugh, am I really referring to them all by their first names?

As opposed to their last names?

As opposed to not knowing them by name at all

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post

Ugh, am I really referring to them all by their first names?
    This is the time it starts. i think people are still going to refer to Danny Gokey as Danny Gokey instead of Danny because it's fun to say Danny Gokey.

For whatever reason, season 6 was the season i watched religiously.
    I pretty much was all over everyones names and stuff.

The whole CAKE thing was funny (i dunno if thats obscure or not..)
    And of course Sanjaya...

And yes, saying Danny Gokey is more fun to say.

Season 2 is the only previous one I really watched regularly. But so far I like quite a few of the contestants this year so it seems like it'll be an enjoyable season.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post

If i was goin to pick the 3 going through: Ricky Braddy, Danny Gokey, Tatiana and Alexis being a wild card.
    I totally agree with you on the two guys getting through. It's my hope that this Tatiana woman will just go home, so that she can continue to "market" herself. I think Alexis will get through as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Don't trust anyone that tries to make you listen to the Beach Boys.

I sent my friend this text message last night: "Fuck me, Tatiana actually sounds good." She looked like she was seconds away from bunny-boiling when the judges were giving their critiques. Not sure if the restraint will get her more or less votes. Looks like she was still the votefortheworst.com pick, so we'll see.

I adore Danny Gokey (and his scratchy voice), but I'm getting tired of 1) the sappy piles of cheese he picks to sing and 2) 3 of the 4 judges acting like he's already won the damn thing. I'm sure the producers like to "push" for particular candidates, but could they not make my bullshit detector go off every time this guy finishes singing? Am I the only one who would love to see what the guy could do with Sam Sparro's "Black & Gold" or Jamie Lidell's "Another Day"?
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

She did sound good last night, but I just have that damn laugh burned into my brain and I can't get past it. Watching her sing last night, I thought she'd medicated or something..

Danny Gokey is a very good singer, but I think that Ricky Braddy is even better. And yeah, Gokey could surely use some songs that don't send me into a diabetic coma.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Don't trust anyone that tries to make you listen to the Beach Boys.

braddy is too damn boring...tonight the winners are:

danny gokey
    alexis
    anoop
    wild card....michael sarver

ok I am just now watching last nights episode, so far i have agreed with Simon, which usually tends to be the case. Are the judges mics fucked up or is it just me, everytime they say a word with P or B it sounds like they are spitting on the mic.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Well, that was predictable.

Except for the freak-out I was expecting from Tatiana. I guess it could still happen. There are a few minutes left!