Page 89 of 117 FirstFirst ... 8485868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,670 of 3493

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

I did buy me two iron skillets on my trip. We went to the factory outlet for them and I got two pans for a pretty good price... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I marinated some butterfly cut pork chops and grilled them tonight
    Turned out great
    I fucking love pork

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    Masterbuilt Extra Wide Propane

I like to entertain, but I don't have the deck space or desire to spend a lot of money on a pro smoker. So far, so good with this thing. It was on sale for $180 CDN. It has a lot of space. I did 8 full St. Louis racks in there the other day and I think can fit another rack or two in there if I choose to cut half racks. It does an okay job keeping heat, as demonstrated by successfully cooking some thighs when the weather was shit and rainy. On full blast it goes over 350 so I might be able to use it during the fall/winter as well. I'm still trying to get a feel for keeping the heat at 225, but I've found I've only needed to go check the temp every 20 mins or so. As with most BBQ's and smokers, the built in thermometer is terribad, but I already have a couple probe thermometers and a thermapen. The fire pan sucked so I just bought a cast iron skillet to hold the wood. The water pan was too small too so I use aluminium roasting pans. So for as little as it cost, I'm very pleased with it so far.

St. Louis side ribs with a homemade spicy bourbon bbq sauce. Served with baked beans, crack n cheese and fresh cornbread.
    Looks great. I've not used propane, I'm more of a fire tender but have had tasted the great results from my friends that use them. And 8 racks is impressive, I'm primarily using a Weber Smokey Mountain 22" vertical for typical use and I have a horizontal offset which I use on occasion. I've done 12 racks of babys on the WSM using rib racks but it was a challenge.

I'd highly recommend a Maverick ET-732 remote smoker/probe thermometer (available on Amazon). You can set alarms when the temp dips or runs too hot and separate alarm for probe in meat (say if you're doing a butt or brisket). And the remote aspect is great so you can be inside without having to check it. I use it often for overnight cooks.

Just a small observation - your meat looks somewhat pink throughout, maybe it's just the picture. I'm sure you've done your research but closely monitor how much smoke you get on your food, it's easy to overdo and if your meat is pink throughout chances are it's a little oversmoked. Less of a problem if you're using a light wood I suppose, not sure what you have up in Canada.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

The beans are covering up a portion of the ribs, but there was a ring... albeit a big one. Still getting used to this thing and how much smoke to use. I was using apple chips for that one, and threw in one last pan of chips on the last hour which I probably could have done without. I've heard about that Maverick probe and will likely be my next purchase as I'm using two separate probes right now. The cool off alarm would be great.
    Last edited by Shaxspear; 06-29-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

useless without pics, i know, but made the best fish tacos ive ever had the other night

chargrilled mahi, mango pico, guac, habanero jack on fresh tortillas

So I made some kangaroo burgers tonight from ground kangaroo. First time I ever had it and probably wont have it again. Very lean meat so it reminded me a lot of Bison/Buffalo but not as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    The beans are covering up a portion of the ribs, but there was a ring... albeit a big one. Still getting used to this thing and how much smoke to use. I was using apple chips for that one, and threw in one last pan of chips on the last hour which I probably could have done without. I've heard about that Maverick probe and will likely be my next purchase as I'm using two separate probes right now. The cool off alarm would be great.
    Yeah, that last hour of smoke was probably unnecesary. You mentioned the 3-2-1 method, which is popular, but I'm more of a 2-2-0/2-1-0 for spares and babys, respectively. 2 hours of smoke (I tend to use oak) at 275 and wrapped for the duration (1-2 hours). I don't unwrap except for a brief period, say the last 10-20 minutes. Guys seem to be using this method on the comp circuit and I tend to enjoy the results myself. I'm doing another cook this week, I'll post some results.

Hmmm...propane. A constant heat (aside from the vent changes)?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Generally a constant heat, but you may have to play around with the propane/vents to dial in the right temp. Shax can probably enlighten us.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    So I made some kangaroo burgers tonight from ground kangaroo. First time I ever had it and probably wont have it again. Very lean meat so it reminded me a lot of Bison/Buffalo but not as good.
    Where did you buy k meat? Yea Bison is big in Colorado as you probably know. A bit more expensive but I like it... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    Generally a constant heat, but you may have to play around with the propane/vents to dial in the right temp. Shax can probably enlighten us.

It's relatively constant after tweaking with the vents when you're within a 10-15 degree range of your target temp. The only times I've had an issue keeping it in the target range is when it started raining.

Seared scallops with a 3 mushroom and bacon risotto on top of wilted spinach. Drizzled with a 9 year sherry maple double solera vinegar.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

I'm not sure if there's a drink/cocktail thread, but I made a couple of shrub batches and found a store that has a crazy bitters selection. I'm getting fancy fuck cocktail hammered this weekend.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

It's under-used, but could use a resurrection: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...-Liquor-Lounge
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Ohhh I love shrubs. Raspberry shrub + Lillet + soda = heaven.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

It's under-used, but could use a resurrection: http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...-Liquor-Lounge
    I figured there was, but on a message board that is no stranger to debauchery I figured "alcohol," "liquor," "booze," and "cocktail" keyword searches would lead me through a rabbit hole of threads. Thank you sir.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Work party this weekend. Been asked to bring dessert. Any summery desserts come to mind? Something which can travel. Perhaps infused with a liqueur?

That strawberry with balsamic that mount mentioned in the liquor thread might be a good starting point or peach pie.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    That strawberry with balsamic that mount mentioned in the liquor thread might be a good starting point
    This. Maybe with some crushed pink peppercorns and basil. Served with some shortbread cookies?
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

My propane grill doesn't work any more. I took it all apart and cleaned it all out best I could but it obviously wasn't good enough. Now I gotta find a pro to come out and do it and pay him and what a pain in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Where did you buy k meat? Yea Bison is big in Colorado as you probably know. A bit more expensive but I like it... cr****
    Sorry it took so long to see this but my mom just came home from the supermarket with ground kangaroo so I just turned them into burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    My propane grill doesn't work any more. I took it all apart and cleaned it all out best I could but it obviously wasn't good enough. Now I gotta find a pro to come out and do it and pay him and what a pain in the ass.
    Unless if it's a super nice grill to begin with is it even worth it to pay for someone to fix it? You can get decent grills for fairly cheap now.

Anyways so I bought spare ribs to smoke. My dad has a smoker in he back yard that hasn't been used in probably 5 years or so. Well this thread has motivated me to finally use it while my parents are gone. So I prepared everything last night and soaked the chips and all. Go to put it in and I can't find the freaking plug for the smoker to work. I know that is something I should have done last night it was just late and I didn't feel like going out and looking for it. Guess I am going to BBQ them instead. Not the worst thing of course as I love BBQ Ribs but damn I was really looking forward to getting my foot into the smoked meat world.
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

CSA this week includes fava beans and eggplant. I know eggplant but haven't done anything with fava beans before.

Fruit includes sour cherries, gooseberries, (black? red?) currants and blueberries. I am waiting to see how ripe the gooseberries and currants are. The cherries and blueberries may end up together in a pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    Unless if it's a super nice grill to begin with is it even worth it to pay for someone to fix it? You can get decent grills for fairly cheap now.
    define 'super nice'. It's not a Wolf or anything but it wasn't cheap either.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

How exactly is it not working? No gas getting through at all? Only a little bit even when on high?
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

it won't light. I turn the gas on and try to ignite it but nothing happens. Manual lighting also does not work, so it seems to be a gas issue. However I can smell propane (a little) when i try so I know gas is going somewhere. When I smell the gas I sort of give up on trying anymore, not wanting to blow myself up.

summer cooking without a grill is very limiting, i'm getting frustrated with it.

All you are smelling is the odorant, so it sounds like a clogged mass of ethanethiol somewhere between the pilot orifice and the barrel clip . You’ll definitely want to flush it out in a well-lit area like your kitchen or garage. Make sure there is no draft. Leave the gas on for ten to fifteen minutes and then light with a natural flame as close to the burner bracket as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

that sounds like a recipe for disaster. ka-blooie.

Do a soapy water test to look for a leak. If you can't find a leak, you could also try resetting your regulator. Disconnect the tank, open up the bbq and then turn up the valves to high for about 2 minutes. Then turn off the valves, reconnect the tank, open up the tank slowly, and then try lighting it again.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Now that sounds like a plan. I'll give it a try. Never heard of resetting the regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    summer cooking without a grill is very limiting, i'm getting frustrated with it.
    Yes. Any suggestions on a relatively cheap gas grill? (We already have a gas line outside.) I sooooo miss our BBQ at our old house, but we just don't have the funds to spend a grand+.