Page 87 of 122 FirstFirst ... 8283848586878889909192 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,610 of 3639

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Maldon is a brand of flaky salt that looks like this:

The little crystals give you "pops" of salt when you're eating your food. It's fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    My mother is 61. And of course I will be celebrating mother's day. Because I pretty much have the most awesome mother ever, and she is probably one of my best friends in addition to being my mother.

But that's not the point.
    i bet she's still pretty hot, right?

Maldon sea salt is fucking amazing. Listen to Courtney.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

thanks for the advice, i'm a salt fiend!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Thinking this is a opinion question with no right answer. Not talking spices: Do you think dried or salt (s) additives (sure they are in the spice section), like onions and garlic are just a convenience, or there is a real need for them? Did we just turn lazy and don't want to make fresh, is it we can't get the things fresh at the store? Just wondering what you think. cr****
    Mostly laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    i bet she's still pretty hot, right?
    Oh jesus. You are NOT allowed to even go there.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    Not sure what stores you go to in TX, but if you ask for arrachera in any carneceria in so cal/arizona you won't get skirt or flank. As far as "traditional" carne asada - almost all of the places I've been to in CA/AZ or Mexico (Baja or Sonora) serving carne asada (taco/food shops/stands) all generally use flap, and I'd venture to guess that any meat back in the old country prepared as "carne asada" didn't discriminate between the cuts of meat.
    this wasn't my experience while living in San Diego for four years, nor was it my experience while living in Oaxaca for two. Or while searching the internet for recipes right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Also, I agree with Tom and Courtney. Although, I would broil not bake. I prefer my asparagus a bit crunchy.
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

I like this bar/restaurant in the mountains that has a deep fried veggie plate. Deep fried asparagus, onions, and mushrooms .... Not the thing to eat b4 sking but yummy like most bad things for you ..cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

youd think i could find a decent carniceria here in austin. still looking for one. i have some leads though.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    How/why does one toast feta?
    oh....you're in for a treat...next time you're baking something savory, toss some large feta chunks on top for the last few minutes of the bake. th eones that fall off turn into these awesome crunchy curds and lose some of the feta-ness (?) like the crunchy cheese bits around a pizza, and the pile on top (of salmon, in this case) crust up a bit on the outside but leave a warm, tart delicious kick in the tongue in the middle. good on chicken too, really anything. sometimes on a baked potato, etc.

it sounds crazy, but the browning of the feta really does give it almost a sharp cheddar quality, without the grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
    youd think i could find a decent carniceria here in austin. still looking for one. i have some leads though.
    La Michoacana has a few locations around townhttp://www.lamichoacanameatmarket.com/

La Moreliana Meat Market on S. Congress. This place isn't the cleanest place but the meat selection is solid and they have some of the best tacos in town.

Las Delicias Meat Market on W.M. Cannon is my favorite because of their selection. They arguably have the best tacos in town.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    this wasn't my experience while living in San Diego for four years, nor was it my experience while living in Oaxaca for two. Or while searching the internet for recipes right now.
    I can't speak to what they do in Oaxaca, since I've never visited. It's on my list. But I couldn't seem to find online any taco shops posting their recipes, nor could I find carne asada recipes that exclusively said "skirt". In fact, there is a healthy combination of flank, hangar, flap, skirt, and other various cuts, hence the last part of my statement.

Apparently, carnecerias that you and I go to vary. But my question is this - on the card in the meat refrigerator that identifies the meat, what does it say for the flap meat? Or when you asked for arrachera, do they say "what kind of arrachera"? I can't say that's been an asked question as a response to my request.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

in Oaxaca the cuts you mentioned were all under arrachara. It was explained to me that arrachara was a style of cooking thin cuts and is known to many as fajitas. When I would go to the market I could find one or two of those cuts available. The markets in San Diego I frequented normally had skirt steak as do those here in Texas.

Just to be clear, we don't disagree with the fact that various cuts can be used for asada, just in my experience I find skirt used 95% of the time and flank or hanger the other 5%. Which is why I say traditionally.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 04-09-2013 at 08:53 PM.

You guys should solve this "argument" by coming over to my place and cooking a variety of carne asadas. I will then judge what is traditional, based upon what my tongue thinks.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

You have a deal Bryan. Just need to plan the next trip up good ol' 395.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    I can't speak to what they do in Oaxaca, since I've never visited. It's on my list. But I couldn't seem to find online any taco shops posting their recipes, nor could I find carne asada recipes that exclusively said "skirt". In fact, there is a healthy combination of flank, hangar, flap, skirt, and other various cuts, hence the last part of my statement.

Apparently, carnecerias that you and I go to vary. But my question is this - on the card in the meat refrigerator that identifies the meat, what does it say for the flap meat? Or when you asked for arrachera, do they say "what kind of arrachera"? I can't say that's been an asked question as a response to my request.
    I finally went to Oaxaca for Dia de los Muertos last year and am going again this year. It was amazing, actually exceeded my expectations. I am a chef and the food was out of control good, from cheap to high end almost every single meal was epic. So do it, make it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
    oh....you're in for a treat...next time you're baking something savory, toss some large feta chunks on top for the last few minutes of the bake. th eones that fall off turn into these awesome crunchy curds and lose some of the feta-ness (?) like the crunchy cheese bits around a pizza, and the pile on top (of salmon, in this case) crust up a bit on the outside but leave a warm, tart delicious kick in the tongue in the middle. good on chicken too, really anything. sometimes on a baked potato, etc.

it sounds crazy, but the browning of the feta really does give it almost a sharp cheddar quality, without the grease.
    Interesting. I will definitely try this.

Thinking this is a opinion question with no right answer. Not talking spices: Do you think dried or salt (s) additives (sure they are in the spice section), like onions and garlic are just a convenience, or there is a real need for them? Did we just turn lazy and don't want to make fresh, is it we can't get the things fresh at the store? Just wondering what you think. cr****
    There's nothing wrong with convenience.

Also the other day I was making a marinara sauce and decided I wanted more garlic. Do I chop up another clove or two, set up another saute pan and wait for it to cook or do I sprinkle in some granulated garlic? Or what if I'm making a dish and only want a little bit of onion. Do I cut into an onion (leaving the rest of it to spoil quickly) or do I use some dried onion flakes? Also I generally have fresh garlic and onions on hand but they do get used and they do go bad so it's nice having a backup.

And I think the question is entirely related to discussion of spices and herbs. Whole coriander? Would love to toast it and grind it every time. Same for cloves. At least nutmeg seeds are large enough to get a grip on them. And I don't know that I have ever used an entire bunch of cilantro, mint, basil, oregano, etc. Last time I bought fresh basil I did freeze much of it in olive oil but I still had to throw several spoiled leaves away.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    There's nothing wrong with convenience.

Also the other day I was making a marinara sauce and decided I wanted more garlic. Do I chop up another clove or two, set up another saute pan and wait for it to cook or do I sprinkle in some granulated garlic? Or what if I'm making a dish and only want a little bit of onion. Do I cut into an onion (leaving the rest of it to spoil quickly) or do I use some dried onion flakes? Also I generally have fresh garlic and onions on hand but they do get used and they do go bad so it's nice having a backup.

And I think the question is entirely related to discussion of spices and herbs. Whole coriander? Would love to toast it and grind it every time. Same for cloves. At least nutmeg seeds are large enough to get a grip on them. And I don't know that I have ever used an entire bunch of cilantro, mint, basil, oregano, etc. Last time I bought fresh basil I did freeze much of it in olive oil but I still had to throw several spoiled leaves away.
    That pretty up sums up what I think too. There is the lazy part, but I never seem to use the "fresh" ingredients b4 they go bad. I have the time now but I think I will always have the "salts" and stuff around. Actually after I posted this, I thought about how would you make a good dry rub with fresh stuff? cr****

I have granulated garlic around, I actually don't have any sort of dried onion around though it would be useful. Garlic salt and onion salt though seem redundant to me. I am always going to have salt around.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

I'm just glad you posted. I am tired of every thread on the board being someone that wants to buy or sell something. I guess being this close it makes sense, but don't they realize we live here year round and not just during the fest cr****

old school

This came in the mail! Time to learn.

I may be late on this but I just saw it: cr****

and these are against the law in Ca I guess ...

Last edited by canexplain; 05-14-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    La Michoacana has a few locations around townhttp://www.lamichoacanameatmarket.com/

La Moreliana Meat Market on S. Congress. This place isn't the cleanest place but the meat selection is solid and they have some of the best tacos in town.

Las Delicias Meat Market on W.M. Cannon is my favorite because of their selection. They arguably have the best tacos in town.
    thanks!

maybe beer/tacos/show are in order some time.

Anyone here have any suggestions on a quick and delicious pho recipe? I've got a ton of fresh herbs coming up in the garden, and thought this would be a good use for them. I can't search for it due to the 3 letter bullshit on the board.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Proper well rounded Pho takes a fair amount of time to make, but since you asked...

A cheater method would be to use Pho soup base that you can get in most asian markets, and add either a spice sachet for Pho or create your own. The soup base alone is usually pretty shitty tasting however and are either too sweet or have a shit ton of MSG/additives. I suppose you could mix the soup base with unseasoned purchased beef stock (no salt) to increase the beefiness, and perhaps just char some onion and ginger and simmer with the rest of the spice sachet to get close. Or, if you have your own beef stock sitting in the freezer, you'd be closer. A lot of the prep I find with Pho is making a nice, clear, and dark stock and getting the flavor of the ginger and onion.

You'd obviously want to use dried rice stick, the thin kind.

Oh, and to cut down on time omit brisket and perhaps just go with Tai (thinly sliced rare beef, e.g. round or filet) and maybe some Bo Vien (meatballs) - the latter can be purchased frozen in asian markets too. Defrost, cut 'em in half, and serve.

Herb wise I presume you have basil and cilantro? Props if you have culantro too.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

The broth needs to be made with beef bones if you're gonna do it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Which would violate Kory's request about being "quick". I would reject the notion that you can't have a reasonably decent bowl of Pho by not making your own stock (with some creativity, of course).

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Oh whoops, didn't see the "quick" part. Yeah, you can make an alright bowl without doing the whole bone simmering process.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Slightly above average quick pho is what I'm shooting for, so that at least tells me it's possible. I've got saw leaf mint/culantro in my terrace along with a ridiculous slew of perennial herbs. Didn't even realize it'd be a part of this dish. Sweet. Anyway, my goal is to basically take an average broth and kick it up by cutting the herbs fresh, using my own sprouts, and shaving beef tenderloin into the broth. I'm gonna try a pho mix added to a reduced beef broth, simmered with a fresh spice satchet as the broth and tweak it from there. Blendtec has a rice noodle recipe I can prepare while that simmers, so I think we've figured out 30 minute pho. Fuck yeah!
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....