Page 86 of 122 FirstFirst ... 8182838485868788899091 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,580 of 3639

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I need to do this. I have a couple whetstones and a steel but I can't ever get my knives as sharp as I'd like. Where'd you take the class?
    Tom, I think you'd love this. Phoenix Knife House, 48th St. and Indian School. $85 for 2 hours. They give you a knife, you dull it, and then sharpen it so it cuts paper, hair, etc. You keep the knife as well, and they offer 10% off sharpening supplies after you take the class. They mostly specialize in Japanese knives, and they encourage you to bring a knife or two in to get some feedback/sharpening tips. Next class is May 12th, class size is limited to 8 and they fill up fast.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    Tom, I think you'd love this. Phoenix Knife House, 48th St. and Indian School. $85 for 2 hours. They give you a knife, you dull it, and then sharpen it so it cuts paper, hair, etc. You keep the knife as well, and they offer 10% off sharpening supplies after you take the class. They mostly specialize in Japanese knives, and they encourage you to bring a knife or two in to get some feedback/sharpening tips. Next class is May 12th, class size is limited to 8 and they fill up fast.
    That would pay for itself after one knife or two. I suck at that type of sharpening but then I never took a course either... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I want a ice cream soda. I don't know the last time I had one. I only have red velvet ice cream and ginger ale. Nawwww... cr****

(note a couple of the pics in that blog show that the cook took a shortcut and didnt' follow the directions to the letter. Deal with it). (Dealt with and the sign of a cook/chef)

I could not find boneless short ribs (I don't think i've ever seen that anywhere) ("boneless ribs" seems like such an oxymoron to me) so I got bone-in ribs and removed the bone.
    Come see me in bellingham or ask a nice butcher for some boneless CHUCK ribs. Basically what I made for a pot roast a couple pages back....
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Taking a wizard shit in the ocean is so Jack Johnson.

also, come see me in Bellingham, Wa and i only charge for beverages intaken....20degreeanglesharpen........easy....do it...
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Bone in is the English cut. Bone out is also used in Chinese a lot. cr****
    triple post....

False....Thin cut flankens/shortribs are used asian/korean(kalbi) bone in or bone out. Boneless or bone in short ribs are used anywhere....as are all cuts of meat, depending on availability....

Cooked with some flowering rosemary this evening because my entire yard is in bloom, and why not. Resounding success.

If you're watching your carbs. Its got a bit of a piggish taste to it which is nice in the morning.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. May 12th is Mother's Day however.

Quote Originally Posted by Propellerpete View Post
    Come see me in bellingham
    also, come see me in Bellingham, Wa
    I have good friends in Bellingham, actually. So watch out.

tarnished my success rate the other day with some botched carne asada. i need an old mexican woman to show me the way.

next two days redeemed though, with two of my best steaks to date, and last night mediterranean salmon with toasted feta.

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post
    tarnished my success rate the other day with some botched carne asada. i need an old mexican woman to show me the way.

next two days redeemed though, with two of my best steaks to date, and last night mediterranean salmon with toasted feta.
    Out of curiosity, how did you botch it? What kind of meat are you using?

how do you mess up carne asada? It's literally thin beef like a skirt steak, hanger, or flat iron marinated and grilled.

unless you mean carne guisada.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

i mean i cooked it fine. my marinade was just not to my liking.

i tried getting fancy with it by reconstituting some of the chilis i use for texas red chili, ended up giving it a sweetness that i wasnt a fan of. and im as much of a fan of just throwing some skirt on with s/p as the next guy, but when i get real mexican carne asada...its different no matter what anyone says.

i was also kind of cupboard foraging. didnt have some of the acids i wanted.
    Last edited by Y0UNGBL00D; 04-09-2013 at 08:00 AM.

Most mexicans I know will use a marinade of mojo criollo, some sort of seasoning salt/sazon, and maybe an other ingredient (everything from beer to yellow mustard). I've also seen the marinade without seasoning salt, but instead salted on the grill.

As far as meat is concerned, usually it's flap meat (bottom sirloin). Sold as "arrachera" in carnecerias, and also sometimes found at Costco for around $5 a pound. It's confused with skirt since it's a grainy meat, but they come from different parts of the animal (plate vs. bottom sirloin).

La Lechonera makes a good Mojo, but so does Goya. Or for the non lazy version you could get a bottle of seville (bitter) orange juice, lime juice, oregano, granulated or fresh onion, granulated or fresh garlic, black pepper, and some oil to make an emulsion. Maybe some achiote for color if you desire.

There's no right way to make carne asada, but I've found this meat/marinade combo works the best. Or, if you're just really lazy (which I will be from time to time), go to the carneceria and ask for arrachera preparada and a grill is all you need.

triple post....

False....Thin cut flankens/shortribs are used asian/korean(kalbi) bone in or bone out. Boneless or bone in short ribs are used anywhere....as are all cuts of meat, depending on availability....
    It was a general statement. My future (?) son in law is a chief in Boulder so he does the cooking when they come over and I try to pick up some tips. BTW my nephew is a manager at some restaurant in Bellingham and wants to open up his own place. That is a fucking tuff business so I do wish him luck ... cr****

As far as meat is concerned, usually it's flap meat (bottom sirloin). Sold as "arrachera" in carnecerias, and also sometimes found at Costco for around $5 a pound. It's confused with skirt since it's a grainy meat, but they come from different parts of the animal (plate vs. bottom sirloin).
    I've used flap before and actually prefer it for asada, but traditionally asada is skirt. Arrachera refers to skirt and flank as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i want to cook asparagus without a grill or a steamer. any advice? i'm new to cooking veggies, but i know i don't like them too soggy. thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I would drizzle them with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic and roast them in the oven.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I think veggies are interesting in that people cook and swear theirs is the only way. Green beans being one that is a good example. Fresh food freaks, boil a minute or so and blanch, in the south, cook overnight or you took em off too soon I shoot from the hip but Loca's idea is a good one .....cr****

I agree with Audra but I would skip the garlic.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

thanks guys cooking dinner for mom tonight
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    I've used flap before and actually prefer it for asada, but traditionally asada is skirt. Arrachera refers to skirt and flank as well.
    Not sure what stores you go to in TX, but if you ask for arrachera in any carneceria in so cal/arizona you won't get skirt or flank. As far as "traditional" carne asada - almost all of the places I've been to in CA/AZ or Mexico (Baja or Sonora) serving carne asada (taco/food shops/stands) all generally use flap, and I'd venture to guess that any meat back in the old country prepared as "carne asada" didn't discriminate between the cuts of meat.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. May 12th is Mother's Day however.
    Screw mother's day. We're talking knives here!

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D View Post

How/why does one toast feta?

How old is your mother Courtney?

I agree with Audra but I would skip the garlic.
    Me as well. Good quality olive oil + Maldon + freshly cracked pepper = perfection. And be careful not to overcook, so they still have a bit of snap.

How old is your mother Courtney?
    My mother is 61. And of course I will be celebrating mother's day. Because I pretty much have the most awesome mother ever, and she is probably one of my best friends in addition to being my mother.

But that's not the point.

What is Maldon. I tend to put garlic on most everything I cook because it's one of the few things I always have on hand. I prefer the pre roasted garlic that is in a jar in the produce section.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Thinking this is a opinion question with no right answer. Not talking spices: Do you think dried or salt (s) additives (sure they are in the spice section), like onions and garlic are just a convenience, or there is a real need for them? Did we just turn lazy and don't want to make fresh, is it we can't get the things fresh at the store? Just wondering what you think. cr****