Page 75 of 120 FirstFirst ... 7071727374757677787980 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,250 of 3572

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

I've brewing a GIANT pot of chilli all day while i waited for the lineup to drop, and i still wait, so im making a some cornbread too.

New to the thread,
    but Im making my Chilli with roasted chicken, anchos, cinnamon stick, a ton of cumin, onions, garlic, oregano, tomatoes, beans, and my favorite...hominy. This baby's been cookin all day (instead of H2O i made chicken stock from my roasted chickens) and should be amazing. Cornbread..with pepperjack cheese, salsa, honey, white cornmeal.

Tryin to get involved in the thread vs that damn lineup thread.

Hi im Pete, im a trained chef, 2 year Culinary degree, 10 years in the restaurant world, now im a butcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Taking a wizard shit in the ocean is so Jack Johnson.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Do you have any photos of your butchery? I looooooove looking at delicious butcher photos, the possibilities make me drool.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I work in a retail store so its more volume of sub-primals vs whole animals if you know what i mean. I have pics on my old phone of mass lobster executions. the meat butchery isnt so photogenic. I highly recommend Whole Beast Butchery by Ryan Farr. Excellent photos and guidance if you run into a whole beast yourself. no pun intended
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?

Oh, I'm totally a Ryan Farr fan. I bought my dad a beef hindquarter butchery class last Father's Day, and I've been around his butcher shop in Hayes Valley. I ordered some junk for him for my parents a few years ago (before they knew about 4505) - they live in SF, so it was supposed to be easy - and the delivery got fucked up, so Ryan actually went in person to my parents' place and dropped off the order with a bunch of extra goodies. I have soooo much goodwill for him and the brand he's managed to build.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

For sure!!! Great story! I loved seeing their setup at osl this year.

Yeah. The fact that he was a chef before a butcher is really apparent when you taste the food!

I'm down in Costa Rica right now and spent the day fishing. About to throw the fruits of my labor on the grill. I also made some sesame tuna tartare with a small yellow fin I caught.

06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Beautiful!!! Limes and what else? What do they call those little fishes?

Butter, garlic, pepper and basil flakes. Supplies/condiments/spices are rather limited where I'm at right now. They're small red snappers.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Discovered this A+ Mediterranean salad and have made it twice. Do prefer only using a quarter of the called for garbanzos though. Really fresh, tasty.

Ingredients: 1/2 pound rotini pasta, one large green bell pepper, one large red bell pepper, one can 19-oz chick peas rinsed and well drained, one medium tomato diced, sixteen oil cured black olives, two tablespoons minced fresh parsley, 1/2 cup slivered red onion

Dressing: 1/3 cup olive oil, 2tbps red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, three garlic cloves pressed, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp salt, fresh ground pepper to taster

1) roast, peel, seed, and chop the peppers (broil peppers in oven for ten minutes, put in sealed plastic bag for hot air to loosen skin, rinse over cold water removing skin, and cut in one inch pieces)
    2) cook the rotini al dente. Drain well removing all water. Place in large bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Shake dressing vigorously in tight fitting jar and pour over pasta mixture tossing well. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    The crowd liked the food but LOVED the wine. I ended up selling almost half of the rose' I had produced (only 20 cases made).
    Outstanding! Congratulations!
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Propellerpete View Post
    I've brewing a GIANT pot of chilli all day while i waited for the lineup to drop, and i still wait, so im making a some cornbread too.

New to the thread,
    but Im making my Chilli with roasted chicken, anchos, cinnamon stick, a ton of cumin, onions, garlic, oregano, tomatoes, beans, and my favorite...hominy. This baby's been cookin all day (instead of H2O i made chicken stock from my roasted chickens) and should be amazing. Cornbread..with pepperjack cheese, salsa, honey, white cornmeal.

Tryin to get involved in the thread vs that damn lineup thread.

Hi im Pete, im a trained chef, 2 year Culinary degree, 10 years in the restaurant world, now im a butcher.
    hey pete welcome to the thread. I'm not nearly the dick in here I am out there.

hominy in chili? fuck yes. outstanding.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Debatable.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

go fu

uuu

see i can't do it in here

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    Debatable.
    No I can vouch. Tom has been a way bigger dick to me in other threads than he has been in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

some of youze saw this on fb but whatever, classic steak night!

grass fed tenderloin filet from west grey farms (about 120 km from my house)
    roasted pepper squash
    foraged brown mushrooms in garlic butter with a blueberry port reduction

How do you cook your steaks to make sure they turn out just right?

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    How do you cook your steaks to make sure they turn out just right?
    My trick, besides years of experience is...
    You touch your thumb to your pinky and feel your thumb muscle..that equals well done. Ring finger equals mid well. Middle equals medium. Pointer is mid rare and open/relaxed is rare. All steaks cook differently based on fat content but that is s good gague.

hominy in chili? fuck yes. outstanding.
    Thanks Tom! Yes, hominy. The texture is like a pasta, which my dad did but has the flavor
    of corn which I love.

for filet, about 3 1/2 minutes per side in a nuclear hot cast iron pan to sear, and then rest to desired internal temperature (probably about 10-12 minutes at 285-300 degrees for medium rare, I'd go for less)
    short of using a meat thermometer, you just have to practice and figure out how to tell the doneness by poking the outside. basically, the more is feels like muscle as opposed to fat, the more done it is. for a nicely done steak (on the rarer side), you're looking for roughly the same poking-feeleyness as the meaty part of your thumb/palm.

My trick, besides years of experience is...
    You touch your thumb to your pinky and feel your thumb muscle..that equals well done. Ring finger equals mid well. Middle equals medium. Pointer is mid rare and open/relaxed is rare. All steaks cook differently based on fat content but that is s good gague.
    Could you clarify this some? Do you touch your thumb muscle with each finger or do you use a finger on the other hand? Sorry if this is dense, but I'm pretty confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Nevermind, FP's subsequent post clarified that for me. Thanks guys!

this thread is like some tiny oasis of good questions and sensible answers in a vast infested pangea of destruction.

Could you clarify this some? Do you touch your thumb muscle with each finger or do you use a finger on the other hand? Sorry if this is dense, but I'm pretty confused.
    On one hand you do the thumbtip to fingertip, with the other , you feel your thumb muscles tension. I agree with fp on the nuke hot skillet but I roast/finish in a hotter oven, for me its what o know from the restaurant world.

That's interesting. I usually just pan cook my steaks and then let them sit 5-10 minutes and I can pretty much always achieve a good medium rare, but I've never even though to incorporate the oven. Pete, what would your setting be as opposed to FP's approach?

A flaming hot skillet(cast iron) on one side then flip it AMD throw it in the hot oven. This is for a nice thick steak buy also b/s chicken breast. Both an inch thick or more. Then rest for 05-10 of course. Many ways to cook a steak...

A flaming hot skillet(cast iron) on one side then flip it AMD throw it in the hot oven. This is for a nice thick steak buy also b/s chicken breast. Both an inch thick or more. Then rest for 05-10 of course. Many ways to cook a steak...
    this is my approach for any thick cut of meat (if i'm not grilling) -- you get a quick sear which seals in the juices, and then baking it cooks it throughout. results in a much less dry & more flavorable chop. I don't eat much steak, but this works great on chicken breasts (not cutlets) and thick cut pork chops too.

Great tips all. Does anyone use broil for their steaks once in the oven? And are you cooking on the cast iron skillet once in the oven?

no i don't use broil, the meat is already seared.

and yes i am cooking on the skillet, i tend to use stainless but cast iron works too. skillet straight into the oven.

which seals in the juices
    C'mon, Tom, you know better than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.