Page 73 of 117 FirstFirst ... 6869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 3488

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Hey, here's another bad, blurry cell phone picture. But anyway.

I made Chicken Scarpariello (using rosemary from the front yard and substituting in fresh peppers) and Creamy Polenta with Kale and Ricotta. YUM.

Hell yes
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

That looks delicious.

This is what I eventually did with my dumb lobster:

4 tbsps butter (1 tablespoon for greasing dish)
    kosher salt
    1 lb penne pasta
    2 shallots (finely chopped)
    2 cloves chopped garlic
    black pepper (freshly ground)
    2 tbsps tomato paste
    5 tbsps all-purpose flour
    14 cup white wine
    4 cups heavy cream
    12 tsp sweet paprika
    14 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 bay leaf
    2 cups cheddar (shredded sharp white)
    2 cups gruyere (shredded)
    16 ozs lobster (raw, tails defrosted if frozen meat removed from shell chopped) I used Langostino because it was much cheaper.
    14 cup panko bread crumbs
    14 cup parsley leaves (freshly chopped.

It was pretty darn good but to tell you the truth, for breakfast we had hash browns,sunny side up eggs, chicken fried steak, and gravy and I enjoyed that down home meal more. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Your presentation is very nice. Need a clean rag to wipe the dribs off the rim of the plate, then it'd be perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

It looks like the robot devil bending backward over a yoga ball.

robot devil would be a good board title.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

I think I have mentioned making fancy mac n cheese before but this was the best batch yet.

Started by frying up some thin sliced pancetta. Removed and set aside. Fried two diced shallots in the fat until they started to brown. Added a diced red bell pepper. Made a box and a half of store-bought mac n cheese, swept up half a box from the floor. When the pasta is drained add in butter, the powdered cheese, shredded cheddar and some goat cheese. Plus the pancetta, shallots and red bell pepper. I expected to have enough for lunches tomorrow but it didn't last 10 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I've got a big pot of chicken and sausage gumbo simmering on the stove right now. It's tasting hot and smoky and delicious. Its also take me five hours to make thus far. Photos forthcoming.

Recipe:

Ingredients
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups chopped onions
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup chopped bell peppers
    1 pound smoked sausage, such as andouille or kielbasa, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    3 bay leaves
    6 cups chicken broth
    1 pound boneless chicken meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
    1 teaspoon Rustic Rub, recipe follows
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1 tablespoon file powder

Directions
    Combine the oil and flour in a large cast iron or enameled cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Stirring slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes, make a dark brown roux, the color of chocolate. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers and continue to stir for 4 to 5 minutes, or until wilted. Add the sausage, salt, cayenne, and bay leaves. Continue to stir for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth. Stir until the roux mixture and water are well combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.

Season the chicken with the rub and add to the pot. Simmer for 2 hours. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface. Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, green onions, and file powder. Remove the bay leaves and serve in deep bowls.

Rustic Rub:

8 tablespoons paprika

3 tablespoons cayenne

5 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper

6 tablespoons garlic powder

3 tablespoons onion powder

6 tablespoons salt

2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano

2 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme

Combine all ingredients and store in an air-tight container.
    Last edited by bmack86; 01-17-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I would like 2 gumbos, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I just trawled off near a half cup of fat from the surface. It (the gumbo, not the fat) tastes incredible. Use this recipe.

that recipe needs okra and a side of white rice.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 01-18-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

yeah it looks delicious bryan but if it doesn't have okra can you really call it gumbo?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Also I made this last weekend and it was amazing. Thomas Keller recipe, again. I really like Thomas Keller recipes.

Duck with Olives and Red Rice
    Canard aux Olives et Riz Rouge de Camargue

4 10- to 12-oz duck breast halves (recipe calls for Pekin Long Island duck - I used Muscovy duck breasts that were a little bigger, it worked fine)
    kosher salt
    nutmeg
    black pepper
    8 thyme sprigs
    8 bay leaves
    28 Luc or Picholine olives
    canola oil
    1 c Chicken Jus (I used canned broth)
    Red Rice (recipe below)
    1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    chervil sprigs
    fleur de sel

For the duck: Trim any excess fat and skin from the duck breasts but leave 1/4 in of skin overhanging the meat. Trim away any silver skin. the duck breasts should be cold before scoring the skin; if they are not, place them in the frige til the fat is firm.
    With a sharp knife score the skin diagonally in a crosshatch pattern, making cuts 1/2 in apart and deep enough to cut through the fat without cutting into the meat. Sprinkle the skin generously with salt and a fine grating of nutmeg. Turn the breasts over and season the meat lightly with salt and pepper. Place the breasts on a plate and top each piece with 2 thyme sprigs and 2 bay leaves (note, I put the breasts skin side down, so the thyme and bay leaves were on the meat). Cover and refrigerate for 6 to 12 hours.

For the olives: cut 4 slices from each olive, cutting the flesth away from the top to bottom around the pit. to keep the olive from rolling, first cut off one slice, then rest the olive on the flat side while you cut away the remaining sides. Reserve the pits. Chop half the olives and set aside.

To complete: Remove the duck from the fridge and let stand for about 15 minutes. discard the thyme and bay leaves. dry the duck with paper towels.
    heat a film of canola oil in two medium skillets over medium heat (it is easier to manage two smaller skillets than one big one when you drain off the fat). When the oil is hot, add the breasts skin side down. You want to cook them slowly enough for the the fat to render without the skin browning too quickly; adjust the heat as necessary. As the fat renders, drain it from time to time: Tilt the skillets and drain the fat into a container. In total you will probably drain off about 1/2 c fat from each skillet.
    After about 15 minutes, when the duck is just under medium rare, turn the breasts over and cook for a couple of minutes. remove from the skillets and let rest for 5-10 mins.

To serve: Combine the olive pits and the chicken jus in a small saucepan; simmer for 5 mins. remove from th eheat and keep warm. strain just before serviing.
    Slice the duck breasts on the diagonal into slices no thicker than 1/4 inch. Stir the chopped olives into the rice and place a mound of rice on each plate. fan the duck slices on the plates, slightly overlapping the rice. spoon about 1/4 c chicken jus around each plate and sprinkle with a few drops of olive oil. Scatter the reserved olives over the ricke and duck and garnish with chervil and a sprinkling of fleur de sel.

Red Rice
    Riz Rouge de Camargue

1 c riz rouge (I could not find French red rice, so I used "Himalayan" which I think is from Bhutan. I don't have any idea if it tastes like Camargue red, but it was delicious)
    4 tbsp unsalted butter
    1/4 c finely minced onion
    kosher salt
    1 thyme sprig
    1 bay leaf
    3 to 3 1/2 c chicken stock
    3 tbsp minced chives
    pepper

Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the rice and boil for 1 minute. Drain the rice, rinse with cold water, and drain well.

melt 2 tbsp butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. add the onion and a pinch of salt, lower the heat, and cook gently for 1-2 min to soften the onion. Stir in the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to coat the rice with the butter. Add the thyme, bay leaf, 3c stock. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 35 mins, o runtil the rice is tender when you tatste it. there will probably be about 2 tbsp liquid left in the pan. If there is more, increase the heat and stir the rice while the liquid reduces.
    Stir in the remaining butter. the rice should be creamy. Add additional stock if necessary and heat through. discard the bay leaf, stir in the chives, season with S&P

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    yeah it looks delicious bryan but if it doesn't have okra can you really call it gumbo?
    I'd make the same argument about File. But you have different variations on gumbo - Roux thickened, okra thickened, File thickened, or some combination of those. I don't think any one ingredient is necessary, rather different (acceptable) variations on a dish. You'll have proponents of each. I'm a roux/File guy.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Okra and roux are mandatory, or else it's considered a soup or stew. File is an optional ingredient.

I am a file guy as well. It's a flavor I'm used to in gumbo.
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

also, Crystal hot sauce is a must

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Anyone have a good (breaded) fish taco recipe that doesn't involve 40$ in recipes?
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

When I was in New Orleans a decent amount of gumbos I got didn't have okra in them. I think they know what gumbo is.

I added rice to the bowl and sprinkled file and parsley on top when I served it. and copious amounts of Crystal.

I think it comes down to Cajun vs Creole. Like the differences in roux. Creole roux is made with butter and flour while Cajun is lard or oil and flour.

You all are making things that sound delicious.

I made broccoli cheddar soup last night. It was awesome because it was my first time using an immersion blender. I am totally sold. It was not awesome because I thought I would be sneaky and add some bok choy and carrot to boost the nutritional content and use up stuff in my fridge. However, apparently bok choy's subtle taste is still strong enough to be discernible amid broccoli, and I didn't really want the soup to be bok choy soup.

I have been invited to make my caprese risotto tonight for an 8 course indie chef dinner. I am pairing it with the first wine I ever made, a provencal rose' of mourvedre. I am incredibly humbled because I am the only chef invited who doesn't actually cook for a living. Although, I'm a bit intimidated as I have to feed 65 people and have never cooked for so many before.

Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    I have been invited to make my caprese risotto tonight for an 8 course indie chef dinner. I am pairing it with the first wine I ever made, a provencal rose' of mourvedre. I am incredibly humbled because I am the only chef invited who doesn't actually cook for a living. Although, I'm a bit intimidated as I have to feed 65 people and have never cooked for so many before.
    Damn. that is impressive. and intimidating! good luck.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Needs moar pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Risotto for 65 sounds scary. Even the dudes on Top Chef can never get risotto right under pressure. I hope you have lots of stirring assistants.

I want to thank you all for posting your recipes. I have looked like a hero to friends and family for copying your recipes and feeding everyone possible.

Okra and roux are mandatory, or else it's considered a soup or stew. File is an optional ingredient.
    Mandatory according to whom? There isn't a definitive "requirement" for a gumbo to have okra. Half of the restaurants in NO don't use okra.

Okra is just a cheap and easy way to thicken a soup. Traditional gumbo has okra, but I think it's fine to call it gumbo if you thicken it by other means.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Half of the restaurants in NO are Creole, not cajun. Although there are many Cajun recipes that do not call for okra, mainly gumbo z'herbes. The word gumbo is derived from an african word that literally means okra.

John Thorne's book "Serious Pig" covers this debate.

I'll post my risotto recipe later.

Half of the restaurants in NO are Creole, not cajun. Although there are many Cajun recipes that do not call for okra, mainly gumbo z'herbes. The word gumbo is derived from an african word that literally means okra.

John Thorne's book "Serious Pig" covers this debate.

I'll post my risotto recipe later.
    I've been to creole and cajun restaurants alike, and I'm not ignorant to the difference. Yes, the word gumbo is related to the african word for okra, but so is the choctaw indian word "kombo" for file. My point is that you came down to a pretty strong definitive statement, I just don't think it's as black and white of an argument that even John Thorne has empirical evidence on despite his musings.