Page 70 of 117 FirstFirst ... 6566676869707172737475 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,100 of 3488

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Last night I had some friends over and made jambalaya. Other than the bull about the prep time (with that much chopping and seasoning, you're pretty quick to get it all done in 15) it was a great recipe. One friend was allergic to shellfish so I just increased the chicken and sausage, and I browned both beforehand to lessen the cook time, as I read that the rice got mushy if cooked for the full length suggested. Will be making it again.
    That looks like a good recipe. Just so I am clear- it worked out well to brown the meat beforehand. And you shortened the overall cooking time once the rice was added? And did you just use a long grain rice or did you mix in any wild, brown or short grain?
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I think it's a fine recipe with Bryan's modification of cooking the meat first (as would befit Cajun-style jambalaya) but throwing raw chicken in there that late is not something I would do. And it's being picky but Cajun-style jambalaya shouldn't have tomatoes.

I recently realized I could make jambalaya and made a batch. My rice didn't get done but we figured that was the fault of the (old, old) rice not anything else. Second time through with freshly bought rice and everything turned out great.

I made up the recipe. I used fresh Andouille sausage because the meat market near me [cough, cough] makes their own. I figure next time I make it I should add some shrimp; I have not thus far because I am not the biggest fan of the shrimps.

Creole-style Jambalaya
    [makes about 12 servings; needs very large pot]

2 t vegetable oil or butter
    1# fresh andouille sausage
    1.5# boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
    Spice blend to rub on chicken (see below)
    2 small Spanish onions, diced
    3 stalks celery, diced
    2 green peppers, diced
    6 cloves garlic, diced
    28 oz diced tomatoes (fresh is great)
    1 t Cayenne pepper
    1 t black pepper
    1/2 t white pepper
    1 t oregano (dried)
    1 t thyme (dried)
    1 t parsley (dried)
    salt to taste
    1.5 C red beans (canned kidney OK, drain)
    5 C chicken broth
    2 C uncooked rice

Spice blend: equal amounts of
    Smoked paprkia, white pepper, celery salt.

Heat oil in large dutch oven over low to medium low heat. Cook sausages until done [~20 minutes].
    Remove sausages and set aside to cool. When cool slice.

Turn up heat to medium low, add more oil if necessary. Add onion and celery and saute for
    a few minutes before adding green pepper and garlic. Cook until it starts to reduce. 15-20 minutes.
    Add seasoned chicken pieces and cook until done.

Add diced tomatoes, cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper and dried herbs.
    When heated through add cooked and sliced sausage. Add red beans.

When heated through add broth and rice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover.
    Simmer until the rice absorbs the liquid and is cooked through, 25 minutes or longer.
    Stir as little as possible while avoiding burning on the bottom.
    Add more broth if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

The tomatoes didn't seem to add anything really. However, I am guessing that the name does not necessarily match up, as the recipe looks very similar to yours, John. Beans are an interesting addition.

And yeah, I think browning the meat is pretty essential for it. It make the sausage much easier to slice as well, but I was using fresh, uncooked sausage, which would break the skin if cut before cooking.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Thanks for the recipes guys. Good discussion, too. Appreciate it.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

amyzzz: not invited to my house for christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

three visits to the store and four hours later, the pound cake is pretty damn tasty. this is the first time joy of cooking left me hanging though with no instructions on what to do with it outside the oven.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

The tomatoes didn't seem to add anything really. However, I am guessing that the name does not necessarily match up, as the recipe looks very similar to yours, John. Beans are an interesting addition.

And yeah, I think browning the meat is pretty essential for it. It make the sausage much easier to slice as well, but I was using fresh, uncooked sausage, which would break the skin if cut before cooking.
    To be fair there did seem to be fewer tomatoes than I would expect in a Creole-style recipe, but more than I would expect in a Cajun recipe (that is to say, none).

I threw the beans in mostly as bulk; they don't add much but they also don't hurt anything, to me. And because the first time I made it my idea was to make red beans and rice but it got away from me.

And yeah, when I was trying to figure out how to make this most recipes appeared to use Andoullie sausage that was already cooked, so, yeah, gotta cook that first.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

It's midnight and I am about to start making Mac n Cheese meatloaf

Looking for a great recipe for meatloaf? Then give this cheesy and delicious meatloaf recipe a try. Combine two classic recipes into one super-tasty quick easy meatloaf recipe.
    Serves: 6
    Cooking Time: 1 hr
    Ingredients

4 ounces cooked macaroni
    1 pound hamburger
    1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
    1/2 cup milk
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    2 tablespoon green pepper, chopped
    1/3 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Instructions

Cook macaroni according to directions on package.

Mix together pasta, hamburger, bread crumbs, milk, eggs, onion, green pepper, cheese, salt and pepper. Shape into loaf.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.

Read more at http://www.recipelion.com/Beef-Recip...tkPdxIZUDYE.99
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Duck turned out wicked. Tarte tartin tasted really good, but didn't come out as visualy good because of a recipe adjustment I had to make.
    Last edited by Shaxspear; 12-19-2012 at 10:59 PM.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    To be fair there did seem to be fewer tomatoes than I would expect in a Creole-style recipe, but more than I would expect in a Cajun recipe (that is to say, none).
    I think the tomatoes were almost supposed to add something similar to the beans in your recipe: fill, and maybe a little more soupiness.

I forgot to mention that I cut back on the amount of stock somewhat because it seemed to be overkill. I like my jambalaya on the less-soupy side, so I aimed for most of the stock to be absorbed by the rice. Probably put in almost a half cup less than what the recipe calls for.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    cool. the actual recipe is slightly more involved than I remembered.

olive oil
    12 cloves garlic, crushed
    16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
    3 tbsp grated ginger root
    2 tbsp minced shallots
    1/2 c white wine
    1/4 c seafood stock (I use bottled clam juice, so sue me)
    1/4 c heavy cream
    4 tbsp minced jalepenos
    1/4 c cilantro
    7 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, in 1 tbsp pieces
    salt and white pepper to taste
    juice of 1-2 limes to taste

In a saute pan large enough to hold shrimp in one layer, add just enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Add garlic and whole jalepeno. Brown on all sides over high heat, turning often to preven burning. Remove with a slotted spoon and discard.

Add shrimp, ginger, and shallots, tossing and stirring to coat with oil. Continue to saute about 45 secs or until shrimp begin to turn opaque. Drain off oil.

Deglaze pan with wine and continue to toss shrimp over high heat until wine almost evaporates.

Add seafood stock and cream and cook over high heat until reduced by 1/3. Add chopped jalepenos and cilantro and immediately stir in butter 1 tbsp at a time.

Remove from heat; add salt, pepper, lime juice.

From "Gulf Coast Cooking" by Virginia Elverson.
    Just tried this. It was good but was missing something. Used clam juice, but I might try some chicken stock with it next time.
    Trying to brown that garlic and jalapeno together and remove with a slotted spoon was very awkward technique. Not sure if you need this step if you are adding jalepeno later.

A couple days ago I came across this recipe after being linked there from another. It was incredible, highly recommended. Couldn't find dried chorizo but a smaller amount of regular breakfast chorizo did nicely.

Mussels and chorizo soup
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/m...d-chorizo-soup

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

that duck looks sooooooo good
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I just got a fresh half ham and am going to bake it this weekend because I will actually have time. I am planning Baked Fresh Ham with Roasted Apple and Almond Salad which I know nothing about but sounds great. Any thoughts?
    This was great. Next time I will place the cardamom pods and maybe the cinnamon in a satchel for easy removal. I will also stop it a bit earlier; this one was a bit overdone. But, still, worked real well. And paired real well with a spicy Pinot Noir.

John that looks great!
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Beautiful color on the outside of that ham.

That ham looks great. I love pork, but I have tried cooking a fresh ham.
    This needs to change

John, what's the flavor difference with a fresh ham as opposed to a cured? Is the meat still sweet? What other cuts of pig would you compare it to? Most importantly, when are you coming up to Bishop with one of those?

It is not at all like a cured ham. Doesn't have the salt, the smoke, the sweetness, anything. It's a little tougher than a tenderloin (baseline) but it came off very similarly. It's like a seven and a half pound chop.

And yeah, that crispy surface was amazing.

And I'll come to Bishop when you have the crawfish ready for jambalaya.

Based on the insane amounts of snow we got today, I expect that our spring will start sometime around July. See you then!

wsangted tp tle him op[pptionhgtry ro ety ovetine knowmtrha t anty U ant ewd wnw zf t fjv ok ive ivnth hin htne ass
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    wsangted tp tle him op[pptionhgtry ro ety ovetine knowmtrha t anty U ant ewd wnw zf t fjv ok ive ivnth hin htne ass
    No, I said June.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

So a rich coworker just re-gifted me an all-clad copper core saute pan that her in-laws gave her. She doesn't cook at all and she knows I love to. She also hates her in-laws.
    She says she doesn't care if I turn around and sell it, she just can't be bothered to do it herself. Of course I'd love to keep this pan but I looked up what it's worth and I'm staggered. I could sell it and buy the SS model instead. Do any of you have experience with All-Clad copper core products vs. triple ply aluminum core? Is the difference worth it?

No, I said June.
    Sorry. I can't figure what I was saything.

Suggestions for an egg dish for 10? Someone is bringing fruit and someone is bringing a ham. A couple of people who will be eating the egg dish cannot eat pork.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Suggestions for an egg dish for 10? Someone is bringing fruit and someone is bringing a ham. A couple of people who will be eating the egg dish cannot eat pork.
    Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

That's a good one. I'm going to the market in the next hour or so.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

I am going to attempt this for NYE. Doesn't look too hard. Will probably have to sub watercress or baby spinach for the pehshots.

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

FB, I know I'm too late, but I would have said a massive frittata, or some sort of bread pudding.
    Last edited by Courtney; 12-31-2012 at 07:07 AM.

I am going to attempt this for NYE. Doesn't look too hard. Will probably have to sub watercress or baby spinach for the pehshots.

Pehshots. Heh. I bet baby bok choy would be good too. That recipe looks delicious. I would very much like for Eric Ripert to live at my house and cook for me every day. My friend briefly worked as a sommelier at Le Bernardain, and getting to dine there on his shift was pretty much the best thing ever.

On my cooking front, I recently whipped up a large batch of lime curd made with the organic tahitian limes in my parents' front yard, and canned it to give as gifts. I also used the leftover egg whites to make coconut and macadamia macaroons dipped in dark chocolate. I'm not a huge fan of macaroons, but people seemed to like them.

I've got a whole bunch of things bookmarked to try out next, once my CSA delivery comes in tomorrow, including:
    Turnip Casserole with Porcini Crumb Topping
    Lemony Broccoli Salad
    Baked Acorn Squash with Chestnuts, Apples and Leeks
    Quick White Bean Stew with Swiss Chard and Tomatoes
    Quinoa Salad with Sweet Potatoes and Apples
    Roasted Beets and Carrots with Goat Cheese Dressing
    Creamy Polenta with Kale and Ricotta

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Ohhhh my god lime curd is so good.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?