Page 67 of 120 FirstFirst ... 6263646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 3578

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

[QUOTE=TomAz;2583776]Well ron, what kinds of salts do you have?

Himalayan Pink Salt, Mediterranean Sea Salt, Morton Kosher Salt, and then just salt.....,
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Oh and some kind Margareta salt....cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I'm going to be baking a cake for Thanksgiving. Probably gonna do a test one early this week with my co-workers. What are your tips for keeping cakes moist throughout? Sometimes, depending upon the recipe, I find that by the time the center of the cake is cooked enough for the 'clean knife' test, the outer edges have gotten a bit dry.

Thinking of going with a variation on a guiness chocolate cake and going with a coconut porter chocolate cake.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i have these glass ikea jars for olive oil and balsamic vinegar. i noticed the vinegar last night is completely filled with mold. this may sound stupid, but is that normal? i'm assuming i should just throw away the glass, but i've never seen that. maybe something else got into the bottle?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

mold shouldn't be able to grow in vinegar.

is this stuff on the sides of the jar or is it floating in the vinegar itself?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

floating on top.

ick. toss it.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I tried to make garlic rosemary fries. They didn't come out too good.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

too much garlic? too much rosemary? did you make the fries from scratch? did you double fry them?

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    I'm going to be baking a cake for Thanksgiving. Probably gonna do a test one early this week with my co-workers. What are your tips for keeping cakes moist throughout? Sometimes, depending upon the recipe, I find that by the time the center of the cake is cooked enough for the 'clean knife' test, the outer edges have gotten a bit dry.

Thinking of going with a variation on a guiness chocolate cake and going with a coconut porter chocolate cake.
    I'm not much of a baker, but my girlfriend makes some pretty insane cakes. She used to do baking as a little side business. I don't know her recipes, but I know she uses sour cream in her cakes and they're incredibly moist. She said this recipe (http://www.food.com/recipe/kakeladis...am-cake-309528) is a great base recipe to make your own alterations. Yes the recipe calls for a box of store bought mix, and if you feel like making your own base recipe in lieu of it, then have at it.

I made a chicken cassoulet last night. Chicken quaters, andoulie sausage, salted pork, beets, carrots, shallots, white beans, tomatos, sherry, mead, thyme, rosemary and parsley. Absolutely amazing dish for a winter night and the leftovers tasted even better today.
    Last edited by Shaxspear; 11-20-2012 at 02:38 PM.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    too much garlic? too much rosemary? did you make the fries from scratch? did you double fry them?
    Most the garlic and rosemary ended up on the pan and getting burnt.

Going to try powder next time.
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

canexplain- I'm not going to try and outline all the differences between the salts. That stuff is relatively easy to find online. But on the subject, I do know a great way to prepare your steak is to use a flake salt like Maldon prior to grilling. I've often watched people grilling steaks and salting/seasoning while on the grill. If you do it that way, you are actually steaming your steak till done. Salting red meat pulls the water out of it. A better way to go is to take the aforementioned flake salt and coat your steak in it before grilling. Flake salt covers a wide surface area and does a great job pulling the water from the flesh so the fat can do its job. Let the steak sit out for about an hour with the salt coated all over it. At the end of the hour, you should see your meat covered in water. Rinse the steak off then pat it dry. It's ready to cook now. This works especially well on cheaper cuts of red meat you are planning to grill.

So what's everyone got going on for Thanksgiving? Besides dysfunctional family affairs, I love this day! I have the following on the menu

Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
    Vietnamese Spring Rolls (w/ Shrimp)
    Texas-style Slow Roasted Brisket
    Roast Turkey (fresh Huntsinger, brined for 2 days and cooked w/ aromatics)
    Cheddar Mashed tatoes
    String Bean Casserole (like gramma's)
    Bourbon Cranberry Sauce
    Bread Pudding

We're having guests too so I'm sure they'll bring contributions. And I have a ton of good wine and beer ready for action too. Also a defibrillator standing by...
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Sounds good! I'm not entirely sure on everything going on our Thanksgiving table, but I know we'll have smoked brisket, tea smoked chicken, wasabi mashed potatoes, roasted squash with pomegranate, and biscuits. Everything else is kind of up in the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Sweet! Hey, I just got handed a butternut squash by my neighbor and I happen to have a large pomegranate. Can you share a recipe?
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

We decided to do a roast chicken instead of a turkey because there's just the 4 of us this year and one is a vegetarian which means only 3 people actually consuming poultry and we all like chicken better. Also making a good roast chicken is really really easy, as my close personal friend describes here:

And for the vegetarian and the rest of us, also making a decadently rich homemade mac-and-cheese recipe that we all love. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/m...mac-and-cheese

and then puree'd potatoes (lots of butter and cream) and green beans sauteed with shallots. oh and starting the meal off with the same butternut-squash-and-leek soup I have been making forever.
    Last edited by TomAz; 11-21-2012 at 03:38 AM.

Oh you know, just me and my personal BFF Thomas Keller.

Actually, it should be noted that he did just blow my mind with the absence of added fat. I always give my roasted chickens a good rub with olive oil before seasoning and popping in the oven. It never occurred to me that this step is unnecessary.

well what are you hoping to accomplish by that?

i'm attempting to use a double-boiler for the first time tomorrow to make chocolate cream pie (joy of cooking recipe). any tips i need to know about using this thing? i don't really understand what "scald" means and i'm afraid i'll quickly burn everything. i'm much better with dough than this type of shit, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    well what are you hoping to accomplish by that?
    Browning?? I guess it's just what Alice Waters says to do in The Art of Simple Food, and I do what Alice Water tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i'm attempting to use a double-boiler for the first time tomorrow to make chocolate cream pie (joy of cooking recipe). any tips i need to know about using this thing? i don't really understand what "scald" means and i'm afraid i'll quickly burn everything. i'm much better with dough than this type of shit, thanks
    Ivy, presumably the key thing is just to make sure there is a reasonable amount of air separation between the boiling water and the ingredients you are double-boiling. And stir consistently.

It's hard to argue with Alice, I'm not sure why they disagree. But in my experience chicken skin browns just fine with normal roasting. adding fat to the outside of the bird doesn't do anything to the meat (that's what skin's for, after all, to keep stuff out). FWIW i did hear Jacques Pepin the other day saying adding external fat to a roasting bird was a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Actually, it should be noted that he did just blow my mind with the absence of added fat. I always give my roasted chickens a good rub with olive oil before seasoning and popping in the oven. It never occurred to me that this step is unnecessary.
    Granted I've probably only ever roasted less then a handful of chickens, but all the recipes I've looked up also said to oil the outside of the skin. Glad to know I don't need to do that next time also.

Last week also made corned beef and cabbage and completely screwed up the cooking time of the brisket so everything was off and yeah not so good. O well live and learn with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Sweet! Hey, I just got handed a butternut squash by my neighbor and I happen to have a large pomegranate. Can you share a recipe?
    My mother is actually in possession of the recipe, but I assume it's something like this. Although personally, if I were doing it, I'd probably try to use more Middle Eastern spicing because squash + pomegranate just kind of sounds like a good combo for ras el hanout and za'atar.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

I just made the crust and this filling for this Apple Pie to take to tomorrow night's dinner.

Questions:
    1. The recipe doesn't call for pre-cooking the filling. Any experiences on baking raw apples vs. pre-cooking them?
    2. Either way, does it make sense to fill the pie crust tonight or wait until tomorrow?
    3. Bake the pie tonight or bake the pie tomorrow?
    4. Should I just eat the goddam pie tonight?

bake it tonight. whatever you do don't fill it now and bake it later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

EAT IT TONIGHT.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    I just made the crust and this filling for this Apple Pie to take to tomorrow night's dinner.

Questions:
    1. The recipe doesn't call for pre-cooking the filling. Any experiences on baking raw apples vs. pre-cooking them?
    2. Either way, does it make sense to fill the pie crust tonight or wait until tomorrow?
    what disgustipated said.

And why pre cook the filling? The pie has to be in the oven for an hour as it is, itll cook in there. If you want to save yourself stress tomorrow, bake it tonight. Besides, are you going to bake it, then have to haul it somewherE? Youre going to be carrying a hot pie around in your car, thats not the best idea.

I add oil to the outside of my chickens, because as I understand it the lipids help disolve the spices of the rub.

Everyone's Thanksgiving dinners sound stellar.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post

Questions:
    You already know the answer. Make sure you have a scoop or two of good vanilla ice cream to plop on top.

On a different note, love a brined turkey and usually do it when I cook one... but it can quickly turn into a pain in the ass if your container develops a leak. GoDamMIT!

Anything fancy about the bourbon cranberry sauce, or is it simply adding some bourbon to the sauce and a stroke of genious I never thought of?
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

I don't know anything fancy about it other than I only use good bourbon. Otherwise, it's regular cranberry sauce with bourbon straight up. There are some good quicky recipes online. Here's one

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...rry-Sauce-2715

Edit-

I think the bourbon should be reduced down a bit. This one does that

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...527/index.html
    Last edited by sonnyboy11; 11-21-2012 at 03:40 PM.