Page 63 of 120 FirstFirst ... 5859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 3582

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

I have that Bertolli book. I wish I lived in a Napa farmhouse with 5 acres of land and a curing shed and a smokehouse to do that stuff.

I have started to become fascinated with Fergus Henderson and I want to get The Whole Beast and start learning to cook (and eat) offal. I also want to go to St John next time I get to be in London. The whole notion of eating from the whole animal, and not just the muscle fibers, is appealing; as Henderson says, it seems disrespectful somehow to kill an animal just for its shoulder and ribs. From what I've eaten before, kidneys and tripe were a bit of a challenge, but tongue, heart, sweatbreads, 'oysters', trotters, blood (in black pudding), etc are all things I've enjoyed.

I really dislike guns, but I would like to learn to hunt and know how to go and kill an animal and clean it and harvest it for all its stuff including the offal. That just seems like a 'purer' thing than buying industrial meat in plastic wrap under the glaring fluorescent lights at a supermarket. 'Purer' is a horrible word I know and just drips with Ira Glass white liberal guilt, but I can't think of a better one right now. Plus it seems like it would be fun to go and slaughter warm blooded vertabrates.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Interesting Tom - I'm in the same boat. I find myself eating more offal as well, but some things I still struggle with too. Tripe falls into that category, and so does brains. Cartilage, including chicken feet, I can't get past. I don't have any problem with lung, heart, cheek, head, blood, tongue, thymus/sweetbreads. Tendon is ok. I'm not a huge fan of insects or other bizarre sea creatures (e.g. sea cucumber - fuck that).

I don't mind guns but despise hunting unless it's in a food eating context. I think slaughtering an animal would put meat eating into context and probably increase my respect for the animal. You're right - buying meat in the supermarket is too convenient and really detaches us from the slaughter. At the very least it would be interesting to witness an animal being slaughtered and butchered.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

After reading the last two posts I might skip breakfast.

I made french bread pizzas last night and I put pepperoni and feta cheese on mine. I think those are my favorite pizza toppings together.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

There's a reason all the organs are generally lumped into the a single term. It's because they're collectively disgusting. All the minerals, metals, garbage that flow through the body generally collect in those.

People only attempt to eat them when all other food sources are scarce or they've consumed too much lead in their lives or they want congratulate themselves for disassociating the word from its obvious homophone. (interesting note: the word "awful" derives from a contraction of "full of awe", the subject of the awe, historically, has been the disbelief of ancient peoples at others who would eat offal)

Philistine.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

has zero bearing on the truth

I really dislike guns, but I would like to learn to hunt and know how to go and kill an animal and clean it and harvest it for all its stuff including the offal. That just seems like a 'purer' thing than buying industrial meat in plastic wrap under the glaring fluorescent lights at a supermarket. 'Purer' is a horrible word I know and just drips with Ira Glass white liberal guilt, but I can't think of a better one right now. Plus it seems like it would be fun to go and slaughter warm blooded vertabrates.
    How do you feel about bow and arrow?

Or what about a muzzleloader? It would seem appropriate, adding the powder, wadding and ball yourself. And only having one shot until you do it again.

Arizona has archery-only and muzzleloader-only hunting sessions, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Pretty sure I would injure myself that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    There's a reason all the organs are generally lumped into the a single term. It's because they're collectively disgusting. All the minerals, metals, garbage that flow through the body generally collect in those.

People only attempt to eat them when all other food sources are scarce or they've consumed too much lead in their lives or they want congratulate themselves for disassociating the word from its obvious homophone. (interesting note: the word "awful" derives from a contraction of "full of awe", the subject of the awe, historically, has been the disbelief of ancient peoples at others who would eat offal)
    That's a load of crap. There have been studies conducted that find that liver or offal is no higher in harmful contaminants than regular lean meat, except if you're buying beef from the good ol' Pripyat Ranch or other heavily contaminated sources.

Most cultures eat some form of offal regularly, only recent generations have begun to ignore offal as it's more "regal" to indulge on the prime cuts. The words offal and awful are homophones now but they were not originally, and I guarantee the words in other languages for awful/offal are not homophones. Further the word "awful" existed for several centuries before the word "offal" came to be.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I predict TomAZ taking a trip to Lyon.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    That's a load of crap. There have been studies conducted that find that liver or offal is no higher in harmful contaminants than regular lean meat, except if you're buying beef from the good ol' Pripyat Ranch or other heavily contaminated sources.

Most cultures eat some form of offal regularly, only recent generations have begun to ignore offal as it's more "regal" to indulge on the prime cuts. The words offal and awful are homophones now but they were not originally, and I guarantee the words in other languages for awful/offal are not homophones. Further the word "awful" existed for several centuries before the word "offal" came to be.
    well the garbage comment was perhaps more ambiguous of a joke, but the "awful" one I thought was pretty overt (given my assertion for the etymology). but even if it wasn't, the fact that two words might sound different in other languages means very little with respect to its etymology in one particular language)

In seriousness I do realize the guts are not physically dangerous, just spiritually. As far as the metals and minerals, that's fact, but it is mainly an issue of how they make the meat taste. livers, kidneys, hearts, and guts often have gross minerally flavor. You might find it pleasant. But studies show those who do also have a tendency to torture potted plants.

And btw, not that it's entirely applicable in this context, but just because some cultures do a thing doesn't mean jack squat with regards to how correct it might be. Blood fueds and female circumsision are acceptable in some cultures. Eating animal organs is only a hair's width above those.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 05-17-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    That's a load of tripe.
    Fixed.

It's my mother's birthday tomorrow and I promised to bake some sort of cake-like dessert that candles can be placed upon. Anyone have any excellent suggestions? She likes lattes, cherries, lemon, almonds, raspberries, chocolate, orange, ginger, curry and earl grey tea, although not all at once.

I am going to go search through my cookbooks now.
    Last edited by Courtney; 06-12-2012 at 07:16 PM.

I have made this cake more than once, it's amazing. There are many recipes out there but this one was recommeded by a pastry chef I once worked with. (from epicurious)

Lemon Olive Oil cake

3/4 cup olive oil (extra-virgin if desired), plus additional for greasing pan
    1 large lemon
    1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
    5 large eggs, separated, reserving 1 white for another use
    3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

preheat oven to 350F. Grease springform pan with some oil, then line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Oil parchment.

Finely grate enough lemon zest to measure 1 1/2 teaspoons and whisk together with flour. Halve lemon, then squeeze and reserve 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.

Beat together yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and add olive oil (3/4 cup) and reserved lemon juice, beating until just combined (mixture may appear separated). Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture (do not beat) until just combined.

Beat egg whites (from 4 eggs) with 1/2 teaspoon salt in another large bowl with cleaned beaters at medium-high speed until foamy, then add 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, beating, and continue to beat until egg whites just hold soft peaks, about 3 minutes.

Gently fold one third of whites into yolk mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.

Transfer batter to springform pan and gently rap against work surface once or twice to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until puffed and golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

YES! That sounds amazing.

I can't eat anything hard or stringy for a bit so tonight was pasta (past al dente) with beurre blanc and oh my why do I not make this sauce more.

I made this recipe for Braised Chicken with Lemon and Capers tonight, along with some blanched haricot verts with a little olive oil and lemon juice, and a watermelon salad with flat leaf parsley and feta. It was a big success, and extremely easy. Definitely bookmarking the recipe for future use.

I see no pictures.

guess ill post one. The Waffle breakfast sandwich. (pre syrup application)

Last edited by suprefan; 07-10-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I made this recipe for Braised Chicken with Lemon and Capers tonight, along with some blanched haricot verts with a little olive oil and lemon juice, and a watermelon salad with flat leaf parsley and feta. It was a big success, and extremely easy. Definitely bookmarking the recipe for future use.
    That looks really great. I might make that tonight.

It also reminds me of the single best, most useful article I've seen in Food & Wine magazine in the 22 years I've been reading it. "12 Inspired Ideas for Chicken Breasts" -- I think I've made each of the 12 at least once, and several are regular go-tos for me still. The recipes are on the F&W website (the article is from Sept 1995, which is probably before F&W even had a website) because I guess I wasn't the only one who found them useful.

Honey Rosemary Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes

Chicken with Peach-Jalapeno Salsa

Raspberry Chicken with Thyme

Piquant Chicken with Lemon and Capers

BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Napa Slaw

Spinach-Stuffed Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes

Chicken Fingers with Tomato-Jalapeno Sauce

Italian-Style Chicken with Prosciutto and Basil

Low-Fat Chicken with Watercress Pesto

Asian-Style Chicken and Noodles with Star Anise

Coconut-Curried Chicken with Roasted Eggplant

Tequila-Almond Chicken
    Last edited by TomAz; 07-11-2012 at 06:24 AM.

Made a lemon-based dish for lunch today:

Baked salmon with butter, lemon, fresh basil with heirloom tomatoes on the side
    Sauteed chard with lemon and salt sprinkled on top
    Made a side of rigatoni pasta with lemon, butter and red pepper flakes.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I just made this tonight and holy shit was it good.
    I was a little dubious of the chicken coating but fuck does it go good with that peach/lime/jalepeno salsa.
    Even using the peanut oil to fry added a nice touch.

I made carnitas today using this recipe except with pineapple cores rather than orange slices. I cooked the pork in the lard for about four hours, all told but damn if it didn't crisp up amazingly. It was delicious with fresh corn tortillas, chopped avocado and pineapple.

I also made my own lard from the fat I trimmed from the pork shoulder. I realize there is better pork fat to use for that but it was the first time I had rendered lard and wanted to see how it went.

think I will make some Chile Verde with tri tip instead of pork. Suzy can't eat pork. Wish me luck cr****

about to be off work in 10 min...CANNOT WAIT to go home and make this!!! http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-sal...o-salsa-258474
    planning on substituting the parsley for some cilantro (maybe a little bit of both) with a side of brown rice and spinach salad with some vidalia onion dressing...yummm

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    I just made this tonight and holy shit was it good.
    I was a little dubious of the chicken coating but fuck does it go good with that peach/lime/jalepeno salsa.
    Even using the peanut oil to fry added a nice touch.
    One of the easiest things to cook and I dont cook very often. It was pretty fucking amazing.

I love making risotto.
    Here's a caprese version I made tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

There's been discussion of cookbooks in this thread somewhat recently. Any cookbook recommendations on the topic of grilling (mostly indoor)? And mostly meat. What you got?

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I would look into Alton brown. He's got a lot of books, so I'm not sure which one to specifically recommend, but he LOVES grilling and I've read some articles he's written about the science of cooking and they're pretty awesome.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Thanks, Drinkey. I'll check him out.