Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 115116117118119120
Results 3,571 to 3,582 of 3582

Thread: The Cooking Thread

  1. #3571
    Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    8,412

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    finishing a marsala sauce with a bit of heavy cream is my favorite way to do chicken marsala. Make a shitload of sauce and dump that shit over some angel hair pasta.

  2. #3572
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,528

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    that sounds like a winner. i have all the ingredients!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  3. #3573

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    I need to acquire some knives. What should I get? What knives do you all have that you like?

    In the past, I had a Wusthof Classic knife set I liked quite a lot, but sadly it walked away with someone I used to live with. But because of liking that one, I'm leaning towards the Wusthof Classics line. Are there others that I should be considering instead? And are there any good sources for purchasing quality knives at discount?

  4. #3574
    Member insbordnat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In a blazing inferno
    Posts
    1,823

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    I have a full set of Wusthof classics and although they are my "daily" knives, I have some a Sakai Takayuki single beveled "Gyuto" knife for more delicate tasks.

    If I could do it all over again (I've had the Wusthofs for close to 15 years) I'd go only Wusthof for a chef's knife and bread knife, maybe boning too. I'd go Japanese with another chef's or santoku, paring, and slicing.

    I find my Japanese knife is too light for many of the rougher tasks and my Wusthofs can't get nearly as sharp as my Japanese for more precise tasks. So my Wusthofs are my "beaters" and my Takayuki is my always razor sharp sword.

    The two biggest downsides to Wusthofs or any other European style knife is the full bolster, and the softer steel than japanese. While the bolster is nice so you can prevent cutting your finger off, it makes sharpening a pain in the ass. You'll invariably always have a "less sharp" area close to the bolster, and ultimately the bolster will extend pass the knife blade after sharpening many times (unless you grind it down). If you pass a Wusthof through an electric sharpener, it'll always get hung at the bolster. Japanese knives you won't have that issue. The hardness will make some of the Japanese slightly more difficult to sharpen, but they will hold an edge much better than European assuming you take care of them.

    However, I am in the camp of never using an electric sharpener, so I'll either sharpen myself with Japanese stones or take it into a shop where they hand sharpen. A lot of "sharpening" places just throw it on a ChefsMate or other electric. Many of the electrics can't handle a 30 degree combined angle (for Japanese) and none can do a single beveled edge. If you do go Japanese, please don't get a fucking Shun. There are plenty of better and harder Japanese knives that can be had for a better price.

    Consider how you plan to sharpen, how rough you will be, whether you always desire a super sharp edge, how much time you want to invest in sharpening/honing, etc.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

  5. #3575
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,895

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    I also use Wusthof classics. I am also consistently frustrated that they lose their edge too rapidly. To the kids from France and London.

    I don't know what a bolster is. I need to google it.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  6. #3576
    Member insbordnat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In a blazing inferno
    Posts
    1,823

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Ya know, the thick metal that extends down to the blade. The "unsharp" piece of metal at the heel.



    Now you can grind it down with a bench grinder or a good knife store will do it for you, but it makes sharpening a pain on a ChefsChoice/other electric since the sharpening gets hampered by that bolster, so that the "unsharp" region extends about 1/2 inch past the heel.

    You'll have less of an issue if you sharpen japanese style (waterstone and "out/in" motions) since you aren't going horizontal across the blade. Even less problems with japanese knives. They're a dream to sharpen and they stay sharp.



    As a comparison, Rockwell hardness is 58 for the Wusthof and many Japanese are around 60-64. You'll get a potentially sharper knife with harder steel, also these knives are more naturally sharpened to a shallower angle (15-16 degrees per side).
    Last edited by insbordnat; 08-26-2014 at 05:39 AM.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

  7. #3577
    Member dillycup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Vegas
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    picked up two very fresh pieces of salmon for tonight from the market.

    any suggestions on how to cook it from the boardie chefs?

  8. #3578
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,895

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    I have a full set of Wusthof classics and although they are my "daily" knives, I have some a Sakai Takayuki single beveled "Gyuto" knife for more delicate tasks.

    If I could do it all over again (I've had the Wusthofs for close to 15 years) I'd go only Wusthof for a chef's knife and bread knife, maybe boning too. I'd go Japanese with another chef's or santoku, paring, and slicing.

    I find my Japanese knife is too light for many of the rougher tasks and my Wusthofs can't get nearly as sharp as my Japanese for more precise tasks. So my Wusthofs are my "beaters" and my Takayuki is my always razor sharp sword.

    The two biggest downsides to Wusthofs or any other European style knife is the full bolster, and the softer steel than japanese. While the bolster is nice so you can prevent cutting your finger off, it makes sharpening a pain in the ass. You'll invariably always have a "less sharp" area close to the bolster, and ultimately the bolster will extend pass the knife blade after sharpening many times (unless you grind it down). If you pass a Wusthof through an electric sharpener, it'll always get hung at the bolster. Japanese knives you won't have that issue. The hardness will make some of the Japanese slightly more difficult to sharpen, but they will hold an edge much better than European assuming you take care of them.

    However, I am in the camp of never using an electric sharpener, so I'll either sharpen myself with Japanese stones or take it into a shop where they hand sharpen. A lot of "sharpening" places just throw it on a ChefsMate or other electric. Many of the electrics can't handle a 30 degree combined angle (for Japanese) and none can do a single beveled edge. If you do go Japanese, please don't get a fucking Shun. There are plenty of better and harder Japanese knives that can be had for a better price.

    Consider how you plan to sharpen, how rough you will be, whether you always desire a super sharp edge, how much time you want to invest in sharpening/honing, etc.
    FYI based on this post, and really this post alone, I bought a Miyabi Kaizen 8" chef's knife yesterday.

    i had no idea what i had been missing. holy shit.
    Last edited by TomAz; 09-02-2014 at 08:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  9. #3579
    Member insbordnat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In a blazing inferno
    Posts
    1,823

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    FYI based on this post, and really this post alone, I bought a Miyabi Kaizen 8" chef's knife yesterday.

    i had no idea what i had been missing. holy shit.
    Good to hear it was helpful. My good friend has that exact knife and loves it. I've used it a handful of times and think it may be better than my Takayuki.

    I was a non-believer at one point but once I started sharpening knives myself I started to appreciate how much better some of the Japanese knives are compared to their European counterparts.

    Not sure if you've been down to the Phoenix Knife House on 48th and Indian School but if you haven't, it's a great place to absorb info and they do a hell of a job sharpening knives (or sell high quality Naniwa Chosera waterstones if you want to do it yourself). Talk to Eytan if you go.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

  10. #3580
    old school unit300021's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Francisco, for now...
    Posts
    3,471

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    So last night I cooked with Tofu for the very first time. I made a tofu curry type dish with veggies. The tofu turned out to be OK but it got me in the mood to try and cook it again but better. I just pan fried it with curry powder and then added sauce. Anyone have any recommendations on what I did wrong or how to make it better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

  11. #3581
    Member insbordnat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In a blazing inferno
    Posts
    1,823

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Couple of things off the top of my head:

    Check your firmness. For curries you could probably go firm/extra firm so that it holds together.

    Season the shit out of it. Tofu needs a lot of seasoning. I would have salted (even marinated) the tofu and then done a cook to give color, and then add to sauce. Your sauce alone won't impart enough flavor/salt to let the flavors shine. I don't know if the first cook with curry powder was done with salt, but that could have been a factor that would have hampered the curry flavors from coming out.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

  12. #3582

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    I realize I'm about 3 weeks late on this, but thank you for the knife advice insbordnat. I'm still shopping around because apparently I'm ridiculously slow to pull the trigger, but definitely considering going Japanese per your suggestion.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM
  2. Cooking With Menik
    By menikmati in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 801
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
  3. What the hell is up with no cooking equiptment allowed??
    By calionis in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 08:28 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
  5. Cooking my own food??
    By foto_synthesis in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •