Page 11 of 120 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 3577

Thread: The Cooking Thread

  1. #301
    Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DTLA, CA
    Posts
    21,359

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by boboso View Post
    What store did you buy the hemp seeds at? I've been looking for them for over a year now and I cant find them in any whole food stores.
    http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbaking/seeds/hemp/

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Sahara/Do Lab/Dome
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    So i got a ton of fruit yesterday and i decided to make smoothies with it
    my first smoothie that i made was a strawberry banana smoothie, and it was delish.

    Tomorrow im making blueberry and banana

  3. #303
    Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Citty upon a Hille
    Posts
    15,979

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    I love blueberries. I macerated two pints with lemon juice and brown sugar and I've been eating them both alone and with biscuits.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

  4. #304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Sahara/Do Lab/Dome
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    that sounds delicious.
    Ive gotta say miscorrections, you make some tasty sounding foods.

  5. #305
    Member CuervoPH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dover, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,198

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    I got a Thai cookbook recently and tried a simple recipe tonight: a spicy chicken with fresh basil (also included onions, garlic, soy sauce, fish sauce, chopped jalapenos, and sugar). It turned out good, except that next time I make it, I'm going to cut down on the soy sauce and increase the amount of chopped jalapenos.

    The recipe I used also called for two teaspoons of sugar in the sauce. I was thinking about using honey instead the next time I make the dish. Should a 1:1 ratio work or should I use more or less?

  6. #306
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,859

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    jalapenos are a poor (too mild) sub for thai chiles. serranos a little better but not much. see if you can find green thai chiles as your local asian market. do they have asians where you live? if not who gives massages?

    also honey seems to me like it wouldn't work in thai food. you need something to dissolve. if you are concerned about refined white sugar try unrefined raw, though, it takes more work to get that to dissolve.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  7. #307
    Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Citty upon a Hille
    Posts
    15,979

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Honey does work in Thai food and is a pretty good sub.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

  8. #308
    Member CuervoPH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dover, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,198

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    jalapenos are a poor (too mild) sub for thai chiles. serranos a little better but not much. see if you can find green thai chiles as your local asian market.
    Good idea! I went to a supermarket close to home that had a very limited pepper selection (jalapenos, serranos, poblanos, and some dried peppers).

    And thanks for weighing in, Corinna. I wanted to try the honey because I thought it would provide a little additional flavor. I'm sure I would miss the sugar if I removed it from the recipe, but I really didn't get any hint of it when I ate the finished product.

  9. #309
    Member JewFace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,144

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Having a few friends over for dinner tomorrow. Due to the warm weather here, I want to keep the meal fairly light. I already have my main course, salad, beverages and dessert sorted. I'm seeking appetizer suggestions (preferably with recipe.)

    I want something that won't be too heavy, keeping with the light summer theme I've got going with this meal. Anything Italian, California or even Asian Fusion could work, I think.

    Also, I already know I'm doing fruit trifle for dessert, but haven't settled on a recipe. If you have one you'd recommend, let me know.


    Appetizer:
    TBD

    Main Course:
    Spinach and Beet Fusilli Pasta tossed with baked butternut squash, red and yellow bell peppers and crumbled goat cheese. The veggies are chopped and baked with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little garlic and some basil from the garden. The goat cheese is added at the last minute and melts with the heat of the pasta and the veggies. It's very satisfying, but not too heavy.

    Salad:
    Pasta will be served with a mixed green salad and berry salad with a berry vinegariette i'm making tonight.

    Dessert:
    Fruit Trifle. Recipe TBD.

    Beverages:
    Home made sangria and all the usual stuff, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    jewface is definitely the gayest one here, right?

  10. #310
    Member disgustipated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CuervoPH View Post
    The recipe I used also called for two teaspoons of sugar in the sauce. I was thinking about using honey instead the next time I make the dish. Should a 1:1 ratio work or should I use more or less?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    also honey seems to me like it wouldn't work in thai food. you need something to dissolve. if you are concerned about refined white sugar try unrefined raw, though, it takes more work to get that to dissolve.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    Honey does work in Thai food and is a pretty good sub.

    Stevia extract and Agave nectar are great sugar substitutes. I keep agave nectar at all times. I use it instead of sugar in almost everything. Makes an amazing margarita.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

  11. #311
    MENACING Courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,961

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by disgustipated View Post
    Stevia extract and Agave nectar are great sugar substitutes. I keep agave nectar at all times. I use it instead of sugar in almost everything. Makes an amazing margarita.
    I concur. I have been using agave nectar to make breakfast smoothies recently, and it's great stuff.

  12. #312
    MENACING Courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,961

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Salad #10 of 101



    Arugula, grape tomatoes roasted with olive oil and curry powder, and mint, topped with freshly-squeezed lime juice (lime courtesy of my side yard)

  13. #313
    Coachella Junkie SoulDischarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vampire State Building
    Posts
    16,111

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    So I never made a single damned recipe out of that book. It was too daunting to me and my mom's kitchen is so disgusting and understocked, the homeless people from Dark Days would refuse to eat from it. But I gave myself a diet challenge, which I do from time to time to try to change my eating habits, of not eating meat for month. This is simply to force me to find new ways of feeding myself, not based on any kind of ethical thing. It's been about a week and a half so far, but I'm still not coming up with a lot of different options. I've been eating a lot of pasta, cheese pizza, easy mexican food like burritos and quesodillas, microwaveable vegetables, yogurt, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and fruit. I'd like some recommendations on more dinner type meals I could put together. I'm not opposed to fish. I'm also a very picky eater (some things I don't like: most condiments like ketchup, mayo, mustard, sour cream, guacamole, horseradish, etc, mushrooms, peppers, onions, eggs (straight up, I have nothing against cookie batter and the like) um I'll list some more when I think of them). I like some ethnic food. Italian, mexican, thai, indian are all good. Anything that points me in the right direction helps. Thanks!
    Last edited by SoulDischarge; 08-27-2009 at 06:07 PM.

  14. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Sahara/Do Lab/Dome
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Mango Nectarine Smoothie:

    1 nectarine
    2 scoops of Trador Joe's mango sorbet
    some ice
    an eyeballed amount of apple juice

    tis bitchen

  15. #315
    old school cansei de ser sexme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Berkeley
    Posts
    3,329

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    My parents bought a big green egg smoker and pretty much all meat that comes out of it is delicious.

  16. #316
    Member CuervoPH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dover, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,198

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Lufs-al-ot View Post
    Mango Nectarine Smoothie:

    1 nectarine
    2 scoops of Trador Joe's mango sorbet
    some ice
    an eyeballed amount of apple juice

    tis bitchen
    This sounds awesome! It's odd, though. Trader Joe's seems to have skipped central PA (not that I blame them) and only have locations around Philly and Pittsburgh. Closest one to me is actually in Towson (Baltimore area), MD.

  17. #317
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    The Sahara/Do Lab/Dome
    Posts
    4,086

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Twas bitchen

    It is an odd combo though. I just took everything i had left over and threw it together in hopes that it would taste good (which it did).

    ahhhh Towson! I know that area! My mom is from B-More so ive visited many times in the past.

    I basically live off of Traders. Everything they have is fantastic! Hell they could come out with "Trader Joes Dog Shit" and i'd probably eat it. Im sorry to hear that there isnt one really close to you! I dont know what i'd do if i didnt have one close to me.

  18. #318
    Member disgustipated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by cansei de ser sexme View Post
    My parents bought a big green egg smoker and pretty much all meat that comes out of it is delicious.

    These things are amazing. Almost fool proof.

    My dinner last night:

    local grass fed filet of beef with creamed spinach from my garden, parmesan roasted red potatoes and a mushroom-soy demi.

    sorry no pics
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

  19. #319
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,859

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Salad #10 of 101



    Arugula, grape tomatoes roasted with olive oil and curry powder, and mint, topped with freshly-squeezed lime juice (lime courtesy of my side yard)
    oh man. oh man.

    and I totally missed that article. that all looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  20. #320
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mission
    Posts
    11,985

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    So I never made a single damned recipe out of that book. It was too daunting to me and my mom's kitchen is so disgusting and understocked, the homeless people from Dark Days would refuse to eat from it. But I gave myself a diet challenge, which I do from time to time to try to change my eating habits, of not eating meat for month. This is simply to force me to find new ways of feeding myself, not based on any kind of ethical thing. It's been about a week and a half so far, but I'm still not coming up with a lot of different options. I've been eating a lot of pasta, cheese pizza, easy mexican food like burritos and quesodillas, microwaveable vegetables, yogurt, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and fruit. I'd like some recommendations on more dinner type meals I could put together. I'm not opposed to fish. I'm also a very picky eater (some things I don't like: most condiments like ketchup, mayo, mustard, sour cream, guacamole, horseradish, etc, mushrooms, peppers, onions, eggs (straight up, I have nothing against cookie batter and the like) um I'll list some more when I think of them). I like some ethnic food. Italian, mexican, thai, indian are all good. Anything that points me in the right direction helps. Thanks!
    How are you on tofu or tempeh? Stir frying is rather simple... though I see you don't like mushrooms or peppers which end up in most of my stir fries. You can still use other vegetables like broccoli, snow peas or whatever.

    Also I would suggest that this might be a good time to try and revisit one or two of your dislikes. I used to be rather picky but I have since realized that I just didn't like how certain things were generally prepared around my house. And because I didn't eat them elsewhere often and even when I did, I went in with the wrong attitude and wasn't in a place to even attempt to enjoy them I subsequently didn't.

    At any rate many Thai and Indian dishes work well with tofu... though beyond Tom Ka soup I don't have any recipes.

    Also something like Eggplant Parmigiana might be good. I also don't quite have a recipe down for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  21. #321
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,859

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    I read a book once - and damn me I fail as a human being cuz I can't remember the name or the author, otherwise I'd cite it - in which the guy talked about a personal project he undertook to learn to like foods he disliked. He set out 10 foods he didn't like and made himself eat them. His findings were that, generally, dislike of a certain food is related to unfamiliarity and having the wrong expectations. He said that of the 10 foods, he came to like 9 of them (kim chee was the one dish he could not bring himself to like no matter what). Anyway it was an interesting well-written read, too bad I don't remember what the fuck it was.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  22. #322
    Coachella Junkie SoulDischarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vampire State Building
    Posts
    16,111

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Thanks John. I've never been much into tofu; I don't really like the texture. I hear fried tofu is a whole different ordeal, so maybe I'll check that out some time. As far as re-trying food I don't like, I'm pretty comfortable with my dislikes. Changing my eating habits is a slow process, so one step at a time. I've accidentally eaten stuff I absolutely hate over the years and I always recognize it and don't like it any more, especially onions. Besides, not liking condiments is probably better for my health anyway.

  23. #323
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,036

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    I happen to like Kim Chi but maybe because I was in Korea. Now head cheese, no thanks. If you use dried peppers much, Costco actually carries a pretty good variety. Support Trader Joes!!!!!!!!. cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  24. #324
    Dark Lord mountmccabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mission
    Posts
    11,985

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    On friend tofu I stole/edited this from a post from elsewhere, which is what I use as a guide.

    Quote Originally Posted by mostly a quote
    Extra firm tofu. A quart of vegetable oil. Moderately deep pot.

    1. Cut tofu into chunks, maybe 1.5 by 1 inches or so.

    2. Roll tofu chunks in cornstarch with a bit of salt and pepper added.

    3. Throw into sizzling hot oil for a few minutes.

    4. Remove when golden brown.


    - Make sure the oil is hot enough by flicking in a bit of cornstarch. If the oil bubbles all around it and goes "TSSSSST", you're good.

    - After the oil cools down afterwards, you can save it and re-use it the next time you deep-fry. I've been re-using the same oil for at least the past year, stored in a 1.5 Liter wine bottle. Pour most of the oil into the bottle, and for the little bit of oil at the bottom of the pot with crud floating in it, put a coffee-filter or thin piece of paper towel in a funnel, put the funnel in the mouth of the bottle, and filter out the crud.

    - Oh, and for good tofu consistency, you can freeze it, then thaw it, then squeeze the water out. It makes it all more crumbly.

    Also I would note that tempeh is similar but not as spongey/watery/blobby.


    If I was doing the no meat thing - you're including poultry as contraindicated as well, right? - I would be eating fish nearly every day so as to try and get enough protein. And that's even if I liked eggs and tofu, etc.

    But, hey, good luck. It's good to challenge yourself like that. You may end up finding a lot of non-meat food you like; you may end up with good reasons that you eat the meat that you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

  25. #325
    MENACING Courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,961

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Thanks John. I've never been much into tofu; I don't really like the texture. I hear fried tofu is a whole different ordeal, so maybe I'll check that out some time. As far as re-trying food I don't like, I'm pretty comfortable with my dislikes. Changing my eating habits is a slow process, so one step at a time. I've accidentally eaten stuff I absolutely hate over the years and I always recognize it and don't like it any more, especially onions. Besides, not liking condiments is probably better for my health anyway.
    Aside from tempeh, as John mentions, you could also try pressed tofu. Both have a firmer texture than normal tofu. Pressed tofu is easy enough to make or buy.

  26. #326
    old school JebusLives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,299

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Thanks John. I've never been much into tofu; I don't really like the texture. I hear fried tofu is a whole different ordeal, so maybe I'll check that out some time. As far as re-trying food I don't like, I'm pretty comfortable with my dislikes. Changing my eating habits is a slow process, so one step at a time. I've accidentally eaten stuff I absolutely hate over the years and I always recognize it and don't like it any more, especially onions. Besides, not liking condiments is probably better for my health anyway.
    You can try training yourself to like things. It really does work. Many flavours are aquired... olives for example. I used to hate them, now I could eat a jar full of them. My parents took me through europe when I was 4, and I think it really opened up horizons food-wise. For example, I hadn't yet been socialized into thinking escargot was "gross", so I ate them daily!

    About the only food I still do not like is mushrooms, though at this point i can certainly stomach them if required. They just don't improve receipes, in my opinion.

    -------------------------------

    I haven't contributed to this thread, though I have been cooking up a storm lately. Will type up a few good receipes later.
    Last edited by JebusLives; 08-28-2009 at 09:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Your stupid

  27. #327
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,859

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JebusLives View Post
    You can try training yourself to like things.
    truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  28. #328
    Rover canexplain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    Posts
    15,036

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Jebus, If you don’t like shooms at all this might be a bad suggestion but if you get a chance, try a grilled portabella sandwich sometimes. When I was a vegan that was my “hamburger” substitute and they can be quite tasty. Cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

  29. #329
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,859

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Patrick, If you don’t like tofu at all this might be a bad suggestion but if you get a chance, try a tofu sandwich sometimes. When I was a vegan that was my “cheeseburger” substitute and they can be quite tasty. Taz*****
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  30. #330
    old school djandrews25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach
    Posts
    4,488

    Default Re: The Cooking Thread

    Properly grilled tofu can be sooo damn good. Im an avid meat eater as well. If anyone lives in OC try the tofu burger at taco loco.
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 63
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM
  2. Cooking With Menik
    By menikmati in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 801
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 11:05 PM
  3. What the hell is up with no cooking equiptment allowed??
    By calionis in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 08:28 AM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM
  5. Cooking my own food??
    By foto_synthesis in forum Camping/Lodging
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-12-2007, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •