Page 119 of 120 FirstFirst ... 114115116117118119120 LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,570 of 3582

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    OK lessened learned. I ended up eating about 4 pounds of pulled pork by myself throughout the day. Next time I make the pulled pork again I wont be making that same mistake.

I also have a bunch of raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries that are about to turn. I was thinking of making either a jam or syrup with them. Anyone have any experience doing this? I looked up recipes and they both seem simple enough but was wondering if there is anything else I should or shouldn't do?
    Buy a nice bottle of vodka. Pour entire bottle into a pitcher. Pour all fruit into said pitcher. Let it soak for a week. Strain. Drink berry infused vodka.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    Challenge....... I need ideas for cooking a big group meal breakfast.

24 people total.
    6 of them are pesca vegetarians
    4 of them are gluten free (1 of the gluten free people is also dairy free) NOT vegetarian
    2 of them are dairy free - NOT vegan or vegetarian (counted above as one of the 4 gluten free people).

Other Obstacles:
    The kitchen will have gas stove top (4 burners) and a BBQ option. No oven for baking, no microwave, no mixer/blender, no power to operate any appliances. No Fridge (everything stored in coolers). We bring all the ingredients.

I CAN pre-cook stuff but it will have to keep good in a cooler with ice for 72 hours before serving. Need to consider ways to re-heat it. (ie, frozen stuff in zip locks can be boiled).

So far I'm thinking gluten free french bread with eggbeaters to make french toast. + 100% maple syrup. (gluten free non-stick cooking spray) Side of Bacon or Sausage. That could take care of the 5 gluten free/dairy free people.

What for the rest? We could do veggie/cheese omlette for 19 people that would work for both the normal and pescas.. but that sounds kind of boring. Could offer some add your own sides of avocado, etc etc. and tortillas to make your own brekafast burrito.
    Is it feasible to thaw/fry up some pre-made frozen hash browns? ugh. Could have bacon/sausage on side for the carnivores.

The cooks would be me and my boyfriend. He is the better cook. I'm better at prepping all the stuff and sides.

More ideas pretty please..

Any sort of greasy protein is like a godsend every morning out there. It's a shame your breakfast duty isn't later in the week since it's very common for folks to abandon their food constraints as the week goes on.

Ok, now I understand. I'd just do breakfast burritos. Playa dust sprinkled on top. Done.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/omelet-in-a-bag/

This allows people to add what they want and accommodating individual preference, and you can boil the baggies a few at a time on each of the four gas burners you have... several meals cooked at once, depending on the size of the burners/pots you bring.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I have never cooked with coke, but when I make pulled pork I add half a can of root beer or dr pepper
    The pulled pork recipe I make calls for 3 cups (roughly a 20 oz) of Dr. Pepper.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i think the breakfast burrito bar idea is perfect. and i had some friends do the boiling baggie thing while camping. it works well, doesn't involve a lot of cleanup, but you can only cook so much with the burners you have.

this probably belongs in an alcohol thread, but what is a good brand of bourbon for cooking? don't want to go cheap and want something flavorful that will compliment berries.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Honestly, even affordable bourbons can have plenty to recommend them. I enjoy Early Times and Evan Williams both straight. Of those two, Early Times would be more smooth and apt to mix with berries.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

ok cool i don't drink whisky, so wasn't sure if cheap was bad

Bryan's dead on. Both are reasonable. In fact, a less aged bourbon may work to the advantage of your dish.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    ok cool i don't drink whisky, so wasn't sure if cheap was bad
    I would say that, generally, cheap is bad with whiskey (the spelling whisky tends to be reserved for scotches.) However, bourbon is the rare case where there is plenty of quality to be found in the lower-end market, partially because some of these are not technically bourbons since they didn't use virgin oak barrels, but were instead aged in barrels previously used to age other bourbons. Evan Williams can be used to make a delicious mint julep as well, and it's always on sale around derby time.

It took me about 3 hours of trial and error, but I managed to make my own noodles for ramen last night. They weren't restaurant quality or anything, but they were better than a lot if dried noodles I've used in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

exciting! did you use a pasta maker or something else?

i still haven't bought a pasta maker since an automatic one is the same price as a kitchen aid attachment and i want to buy a kitchen aid too.

That's impressive. did you find the need to add something to make them alkaline? I assume an egg dough? Hand cut/pasta machine/or something else? We need details.

Used a kitchenaid attachment to roll it thin then cut it into thin noodles. I've been making a ton of pasta with the kitchenaid for awhile now, but ramen is a completely different beast. The dough is like working with day old clay. I initially tried to mix it with the kitchenaid, but the machine would get stuck and was obviously having troubles, so I had to knead it by hand for about 20 minutes. My arms are sore today
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Used lye water to raise the alkaline

Recipe:
    2 cups bread dough
    100ml lye water

Mix thoroughly until uniform color. Use a rolling pin to roll it out and try to get it to stick together. These two steps were the hardest for me. Run through a pasta machine until desired thickness is reached. Dust with rice flour or corn starch (regular flour would probably be fine). Fold and cut
    Last edited by stinkbutt; 08-08-2014 at 12:29 PM.

exciting! did you use a pasta maker or something else?

i still haven't bought a pasta maker since an automatic one is the same price as a kitchen aid attachment and i want to buy a kitchen aid too.
    Ivy, I'm in the market too so I'd be interested on the options. From what I can tell, the "pasta maker" KA attachment is really several different roller sets, one for flat pasta and then different cutting attachments. They are bank, I think like $70 a piece.

I'm thinking about just buying the flat roller attachment and using my manual hand crank Zena 46 for the rare times I make spaghetti or linguine. Normally it's lasagna, ravioli, tagliatelle or other hand cut styles. And fuck homemade maccheroni.

yeah, some of those attachments are $200. but, sometimes they do run sales like buy a kitchen aid, get a free attachment. it seems worth it though. just the fact that the attachment is raised seems better than a one-off attachment. but yeah, i believe the pasta attachment that does spaghetti, linguini, and something else. but i think the flat one is separate, i could be wrong.

and nice work, stinkbutt! i want to try that. i really need to make this happen! the other thing keeping me from buying a kitchen aid is that i want the more industrial/larger one. it seemed to work better than the smaller ones when i took the class.

IMO the flat one is the only one you need. I mean unless you're making hollow or twisted noodles, you can just fold and cut pretty much any sort of pasta you want

word of advice - don't cheap out on the KA. Some of the cheaper models aren't built as well. I have a Professional 600 that mixes dough, ground meat, cookie dough, etc. with no problems. All steel gear construction too. I've heard horror stories of stripped gears in the artisans and other overheating issues. Could be just fear mongering but I decided to pull the trigger and go more heavy duty.

i'm with you, which is why i am like a year from buying one.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I have an artisan that's been going strong for about 5 years and mixes pasta and bread dough pretty well even down to a cup and half's worth of flour. That may be one slight disadvantage of the bigger bowl models (aside from the obvious price), is that you need to make slightly larger dough batches. Unless of course larger batches is your goal in which case that's an overwhelming advantage. I've taxed the motor on my Artisan very heavily a few times and it always pushed through smoothly.

Folks who invest in the heavier duty machines tend to maintain and use them properly so that might add a bit to their perceived reliability compared to the Artisan. Also there's probably a lot more Artisans out there so there's bound to be far more complaints out there (even though still proportionally a bit more than the heavier models)

Basically when Amazon does their (seemingly annual) sale for ~$230-$250 I'd say it's a great deal.

i made zabaglione yesterday for the first time with raspberries and blackberries. i really enjoyed it. but it called for sweet marsala wine. the wine i purchased was a bit dark. what i created didn't look like the picture, which was white. it tasted good so i don't feel like i did anything wrong, but is there a lighter marsala or something?

also made bolognese for the first time by myself. the group enjoyed it. my knives are shitty so instead of dicing the veggies, i used the food processor and over chopped everything, but i still think it was fine.

oh, and my coworkers gave me a sur la table gift card for graduation. i bought one of those pepper grinders with the crank lever instead of the hand twist kind. so much easier on my wrist, love it!!

and i need to start throwing dishes parties after my dinner parties. i pretty much spent all day cleaning. but it was worth it

I think marsala is always dark. from what I've seen (which is not a lot, I admit) it can range from brownish to ruby red in color. If there are very refined/light marsalas I've not come across them.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

that helps. i just found it really odd that the picture was bright white when the wine isn't.

also, any other suggestions as to what i can cook with marsala? i have all these desert wines that just end up chilling in my fridge.

I do this recipe with lots of different fish types, but I've never done bass. It always turns out very good, light and flavorful.

Ingredients

6 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
    4 (5-ounce) sea bass fillets
    4 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
    8 teaspoons soy sauce
    2 teaspoons sesame oil
    1 lime, quartered
    2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
    Directions
    Cut 4 (12-inch-square pieces) of aluminum foil. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Working with 1 foil sheet at a time, place the foil sheets on the work surface. Place 1 1/2 cups of spinach in the center of each foil sheet. Top with a sea bass fillet. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic, then drizzle 2 tablespoons of Marsala, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil over the fish and spinach. Gather the foil sheets over the fish. Fold in the foil edges and pinch tightly to seal. Place the foil packages on a heavy large baking sheet.

Bake until the spinach wilts and the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the packages to wide shallow bowls. Cool 5 minutes. Open package and fold down to reveal fish, being careful of hot steam. Squeeze the lime juice over the fish. Sprinkle the basil over and serve.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ml?oc=linkback

i don't eat seafood, but that looks good! maybe i could use chicken or something, thank you for sharing

You could also look for any recipe that has port in it, we're not talking huge differences between the two.

good to know, thank you!

that helps. i just found it really odd that the picture was bright white when the wine isn't.

also, any other suggestions as to what i can cook with marsala? i have all these desert wines that just end up chilling in my fridge.
    chicken marsala is a classic.

also, here's the results for 'marsala' from the F&W search page:
    http://www.foodandwine.com/search?qu...ecipes&x=0&y=0
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I have had filet marsala at Carabas and it was amazing. I assume it would be tasty with any cut of steak though.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.