Page 118 of 120 FirstFirst ... 113114115116117118119120 LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,540 of 3585

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

You can also do portobello mushroom pizzas (wherein you use the portobello caps as the dough).
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Scrambles with cherry tomatoes, spinich, orange yellow and red peppers, and chorizo. Add Chalula
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Thank you for the ideas, folks. I will definitely make some scrambles and probably a fritatta, stir fry, etc.

Also I saw bacon ends at the meat market and realized I could buy disposable aluminum roasting pans so now I can roast potatoes, etc. in bacon fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Jambalaya is a great one-pan meal. Or etouffe.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

So I was planning on using the crock pot today for the first time to make a coke pork shoulder. However I couldn't wait so I just threw it in last night and had it cook over night. Tried it this morning and holy shit why I have taken so long to get a crock pot. Pork shoulder, coke, bbq sauce, stock, onion, carrots, garlic, chipotle peppers, and salt and pepper. Oh and some Jack Daniels, but only a shot so that flavor didn't really come through.
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Any kind of burrito meat is good in the crock pot. I get chicken breasts, a beef roast or pork shoulder and throw some onion, green chilies, a can of rotelle tomatoes and spices (cumin, chili powder, etc). When I get home from work I shred it and throw it on a tortilla with rice and cheese.

Green or Red Chili Pork is also pretty easy in the crock pot. The list is endless.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

cooking with coke actually produces a good taste? that seems so disgusting to me, but i rarely drink the stuff or can even finish a glass.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I have never cooked with coke, but when I make pulled pork I add half a can of root beer or dr pepper, I hate the flavor of both sodas but it adds a sweet crust to the outer edges of the meat, what you would normally get if you slow roasted it in a smoker. I am sure coke has the same effect, I think it's more about the sugar.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

ok, i guess that makes sense
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

You can also just put sugar in a rub
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I would if I were roasting it in the oven, but I usually like to have a little moisture to the crockpot so I can leave it cooking all day while I am at work and not worry about my house burning down.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post

Ideas, anyone?
    John: some of these might work for you.
    http://www.foodandwine.com/slideshow...meals#!slide=1
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Challenge....... I need ideas for cooking a big group meal breakfast.

24 people total.
    6 of them are pesca vegetarians
    4 of them are gluten free (1 of the gluten free people is also dairy free) NOT vegetarian
    2 of them are dairy free - NOT vegan or vegetarian (counted above as one of the 4 gluten free people).

Other Obstacles:
    The kitchen will have gas stove top (4 burners) and a BBQ option. No oven for baking, no microwave, no mixer/blender, no power to operate any appliances. No Fridge (everything stored in coolers). We bring all the ingredients.

I CAN pre-cook stuff but it will have to keep good in a cooler with ice for 72 hours before serving. Need to consider ways to re-heat it. (ie, frozen stuff in zip locks can be boiled).

So far I'm thinking gluten free french bread with eggbeaters to make french toast. + 100% maple syrup. (gluten free non-stick cooking spray) Side of Bacon or Sausage. That could take care of the 5 gluten free/dairy free people.

What for the rest? We could do veggie/cheese omlette for 19 people that would work for both the normal and pescas.. but that sounds kind of boring. Could offer some add your own sides of avocado, etc etc. and tortillas to make your own brekafast burrito.
    Is it feasible to thaw/fry up some pre-made frozen hash browns? ugh. Could have bacon/sausage on side for the carnivores.

The cooks would be me and my boyfriend. He is the better cook. I'm better at prepping all the stuff and sides.

More ideas pretty please..
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Ceviche tostadas

How adventurous are the eaters? If you want to go a little on the different/bizarre side, make them codfish and potato breakfast, Bermuda-style. There are recipes online, but it's essentially codfish (traditionally it's Bacalao/salt cod, but you can use fresh cod) with an onion/tomato sauce, with a side of potatoes, hard boiled egg, banana, and avocado. It's actually really good. Lots of recipes online.

Alternatively, you could do a potato pancake/smoked salmon "benedict", with the potato replacing the English muffin. Hollandaise sauce may be a challenge to do without butter (I dunno, can you do it with margarine?) but perhaps you can find dairy free recipes online. You could add some fresh dill and perhaps some chives to dress it up. You could bring bagels, sliced onion, cream cheese, etc. for those who aren't dairy/gluten free for options too.

Or, a different direction would be a salmon donburi, with eggs and salmon cooked together in a dashi/shoyu broth and served over rice. Probably would piss people off that would really be expecting "breakfast" though.

If you want to go traditional, how about buckwheat pancakes? They're gluten free and delicious.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Those are super interesting suggestions! I want to try all of them at home.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

My garden has been going crazy, so I've been jarring and pickling lots of stuff lately. Today I made some red currant jam, kimchi and pickles. I also jarred some sauerkraut I had fermenting for the last couple of weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    How adventurous are the eaters?
    Those all sound like some yummy options. I'm sure the eaters are adventurous but having only the 2 of us to cook for 24 people and trying to get it all ready to self serve at once (keeping things warm) etc. plus having a complex set of things to cook intimidates me. But man I want to try some of those suggestions myself now!!

Ceviche tostadas.

any recommended recipes? 19 people (that eat meat/fish/no problem with dairy). sounds yum

OK lessened learned. I ended up eating about 4 pounds of pulled pork by myself throughout the day. Next time I make the pulled pork again I wont be making that same mistake.

I also have a bunch of raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries that are about to turn. I was thinking of making either a jam or syrup with them. Anyone have any experience doing this? I looked up recipes and they both seem simple enough but was wondering if there is anything else I should or shouldn't do?
    Last edited by unit300021; 08-05-2014 at 10:10 PM.

That sounds like excellent smoothie material. You could also blend them up with some ice, the juice of a whole lime, a healthy dose of sugar and another healthy dose of rum and make some mixed berry daquiris.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Damn didn't even think of smoothies and for alcohol uses. I just recently got a waffle maker so I was thinking for using then for toppings for that. I do have a lot though so I am sure I can do both.

slow cooked a whole chicken in the oven yesterday…
    1.5kg bird @ 100c for 4 hours, with 20 mins or so of high heat at the end for browning/crisping the skin. (so like 3.5lbs @ 225-250F)
    Salt, pepper, garlic… That's it. It was ridiculously simple and some of the best chicken my gf and I've ever had. The meat literally fell of the bone as I plated it.

Unit - make fresh jam. Sugar, lemon juice, berries. Cook in a pan until soft and then put into a jar. Super easy.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    OK lessened learned. I ended up eating about 4 pounds of pulled pork by myself throughout the day. Next time I make the pulled pork again I wont be making that same mistake.

I also have a bunch of raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries that are about to turn. I was thinking of making either a jam or syrup with them. Anyone have any experience doing this? I looked up recipes and they both seem simple enough but was wondering if there is anything else I should or shouldn't do?
    Buy a nice bottle of vodka. Pour entire bottle into a pitcher. Pour all fruit into said pitcher. Let it soak for a week. Strain. Drink berry infused vodka.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    Challenge....... I need ideas for cooking a big group meal breakfast.

24 people total.
    6 of them are pesca vegetarians
    4 of them are gluten free (1 of the gluten free people is also dairy free) NOT vegetarian
    2 of them are dairy free - NOT vegan or vegetarian (counted above as one of the 4 gluten free people).

Other Obstacles:
    The kitchen will have gas stove top (4 burners) and a BBQ option. No oven for baking, no microwave, no mixer/blender, no power to operate any appliances. No Fridge (everything stored in coolers). We bring all the ingredients.

I CAN pre-cook stuff but it will have to keep good in a cooler with ice for 72 hours before serving. Need to consider ways to re-heat it. (ie, frozen stuff in zip locks can be boiled).

So far I'm thinking gluten free french bread with eggbeaters to make french toast. + 100% maple syrup. (gluten free non-stick cooking spray) Side of Bacon or Sausage. That could take care of the 5 gluten free/dairy free people.

What for the rest? We could do veggie/cheese omlette for 19 people that would work for both the normal and pescas.. but that sounds kind of boring. Could offer some add your own sides of avocado, etc etc. and tortillas to make your own brekafast burrito.
    Is it feasible to thaw/fry up some pre-made frozen hash browns? ugh. Could have bacon/sausage on side for the carnivores.

The cooks would be me and my boyfriend. He is the better cook. I'm better at prepping all the stuff and sides.

More ideas pretty please..

Any sort of greasy protein is like a godsend every morning out there. It's a shame your breakfast duty isn't later in the week since it's very common for folks to abandon their food constraints as the week goes on.

Ok, now I understand. I'd just do breakfast burritos. Playa dust sprinkled on top. Done.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/omelet-in-a-bag/

This allows people to add what they want and accommodating individual preference, and you can boil the baggies a few at a time on each of the four gas burners you have... several meals cooked at once, depending on the size of the burners/pots you bring.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I have never cooked with coke, but when I make pulled pork I add half a can of root beer or dr pepper
    The pulled pork recipe I make calls for 3 cups (roughly a 20 oz) of Dr. Pepper.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.