Page 116 of 120 FirstFirst ... 111112113114115116117118119120 LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,480 of 3582

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    what does "brodo" mean? i have an italian recipe to make chicken, then risotto. the risotto calls for "the brodo ", which is not a listed ingredient. could that be the leftover juice from cooking the chicken?
    Basically, yes. Brodo in general terms beans broth. I'm not sure if I would use the leftover juice from the chicken unless strained/defatted, but perhaps the idea is to get the flavor in the risotto? Depends on the risotto too, I suppose.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

got it. thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Made some smoked lamb ribs with a mint faux BBQ sauce the other day. It was delicious, but I didn't get the ribs as tender as I would've liked. They were way cheaper than pork or beef, so I think figuring these out is going to be my summer cooking goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I bought some fresh basil at the Farmer's Market yesterday, made some spaghetti sauce for tonight, then made some pesto which I'm freezing for later.

I'm trying to grow my own basil, I had a small pot on my windowsill that barely sprouted, until someone told me you have to put it outside, it loves the sun and the heat. So now I'm trying that.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

good luck with the basil!

what is a good vegetarian substitute for chicken? I was making dinner for a few people and one person is a vegetarian. if there are no good substitutes i guess i could make something else.

In what dish?

One option - maybe not applicable to a small dinner - is to provide enough dishes/sides that one can make a vegetarian meal.

Possibly more useful, I have loved tempeh instead of chicken in a number of different ways, sauteed and served on salad, in a stir-fry type dish or battered and fried like boneless buffalo wings. That being said I also have known vegetarians that do not like tempeh.

So it might be best to ask?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    I bought some fresh basil at the Farmer's Market yesterday, made some spaghetti sauce for tonight, then made some pesto which I'm freezing for later.

I'm trying to grow my own basil, I had a small pot on my windowsill that barely sprouted, until someone told me you have to put it outside, it loves the sun and the heat. So now I'm trying that.
    For our CSA last year we got so many greens that making pesto became nearly a weekly thing. It went well made with a wide variety of greens, nuts and garlic/garlic scapes/scallions, etc.

Home grown basil would be great, so good luck!

What are you making with the chicken? Sometimes tofu is a good replacement, sometimes you can use portobello mushrooms, really depends on the flavors your working with.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

it's an italian dish with tomato sauce

Cannellini beans? Eggplant? Polenta? Gnocci?

Eggplant or gnocchi seem like they could be good calls. If you're going to bread the chicken, do it with eggplant. If not, gnocchi seems like a safe bet.

good luck with the basil!

what is a good vegetarian substitute for chicken? I was making dinner for a few people and one person is a vegetarian. if there are no good substitutes i guess i could make something else.
    "Gardein" is a very tasty chick'n or turk'y "meat substitute". And Tofurkey makes a really delicious Italian sausage which is fantastic if you brown it, grill it, so it's sort of crusty. I think the portabellas or eggplant are great suggestions, too...although I am not a very handy eggplant chef.
    Nice of you to be so accommodating! I had a friend fix a "vegetarian meal" for me, "except for the anchovies"!!!!!????
    For all intensive porpoises presale finally sold out

I'm in the middle of trying to clear out my kitchen and get rid of as much stuff as possible, so I have been cooking a lot of weird things recently. Tonight, I made a baked penne in a sauce of San Marzanos, leftover bits of various cheeses (swiss, gruyere, parmesan, sour cream, cream cheese), capers, pickled peppers, oregano, basil, onion, and garlic. It felt like the most unhealthy thing I have probably cooked in at least a year, but totally delicious. However, I'm quickly running out of ideas on ways to use my remaining ingredients, so I welcome any suggestions on how to get rid of the following without going out and buying a lot more stuff:

kidney beans
    cannellini beans
    garbanzo beans
    canned tomatoes
    lentils
    pearled barley
    farro
    quinoa
    spelt
    dried cherries
    chicken stock
    tomato paste
    pumpkin seeds
    hazelnuts
    almond butter
    sesame oil
    olive oil
    whole wheat couscous
    honey
    granola
    steel cut oats
    cocoa powder
    soy sauce
    tahini
    red wine vinegar
    balsamic vinegar
    champagne vinegar
    almonds
    vegetable stock
    dates
    sugar
    maple syrup
    whole wheat bread
    bananas
    nutella
    skim milk
    cheddar
    mayonnaise
    lemons
    cream cheese
    hummus
    ketchup
    salsa
    gin
    vodka
    frangelico
    vermouth
    frozen cauliflower
    frozen berries
    frozen salmon steaks
    frozen corn
    frozen okra
    fresh ginger
    fresh rosemary
    ... and most dried spices you would want

Multigrain Salad with Roast Salmon and Nutella
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Mmmm salmon with nutella. My favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by AtticusGrinch View Post
    I'm in the middle of trying to clear out my kitchen and get rid of as much stuff as possible, so I have been cooking a lot of weird things recently. Tonight, I made a baked penne in a sauce of San Marzanos, leftover bits of various cheeses (swiss, gruyere, parmesan, sour cream, cream cheese), capers, pickled peppers, oregano, basil, onion, and garlic. It felt like the most unhealthy thing I have probably cooked in at least a year, but totally delicious. However, I'm quickly running out of ideas on ways to use my remaining ingredients, so I welcome any suggestions on how to get rid of the following without going out and buying a lot more stuff:

kidney beans
    cannellini beans
    garbanzo beans
    canned tomatoes
    lentils
    pearled barley
    farro
    quinoa
    spelt
    dried cherries
    chicken stock
    tomato paste
    pumpkin seeds
    hazelnuts
    almond butter
    sesame oil
    olive oil
    whole wheat couscous
    honey
    granola
    steel cut oats
    cocoa powder
    soy sauce
    tahini
    red wine vinegar
    balsamic vinegar
    champagne vinegar
    almonds
    vegetable stock
    dates
    sugar
    maple syrup
    whole wheat bread
    bananas
    nutella
    skim milk
    cheddar
    mayonnaise
    lemons
    cream cheese
    hummus
    ketchup
    salsa
    gin
    vodka
    frangelico
    vermouth
    frozen cauliflower
    frozen berries
    frozen salmon steaks
    frozen corn
    frozen okra
    fresh ginger
    fresh rosemary
    ... and most dried spices you would want
    Made a whole wheat couscous pilaf with cauliflower, pumpkin seeds and vinegar-plumped sultanas, spiced with saffron, turmeric and garlic. Also made a bread pudding with dried cherries and hazelnuts. But still have way too much junk in my cupboard.
    Last edited by AtticusGrinch; 06-22-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Frangelico. are you a retiree?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Frangelico. are you a retiree?
    Hazelnuts are delicious. Alcohol is delicious. Therefore hazelnut alcohol is delicious.

Also, I believe it is leftover from a make-your-own hot chocolate bar we did at a friend's ski cabin a couple years ago, and I just never finished the bottle.

Sounds like a mole chili would do the trick on a number of those! Nuts, beans dark sugars. Get adventurous with 'corn' bread if you use some of those grains after you crack/stone grind them they could be subbed for the cornmeal in a recipe..with cheddar and another dark sugar! Have fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Taking a wizard shit in the ocean is so Jack Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Also couldn't find the fancy French red rice so I used a Burgundy Red Rice and cooked it a little longer. Will certainly make the rice as a side dish/entree over and over.
    I made this about 7 months ago and this rice certainly inspired a new staple. Cooking rice in stock and onions started it and got me thinking of Jambalaya, which is basically cooking rice in stock and sweated vegetables. I have been making a lot of dishes on the pilaf/risotto spectrum (I understand that this is simplifying and reductionist), cooking rice (and related) in stock, sweated vegetables and wine. It's pretty much the best thing.

I currently have the rest of the Burgundy Red Rice cooking in a liquid from a shallot, Crimini mushrooms, heirloom tomatoes plus chicken stock and Pinot Noir. It works well as a side but tonight it is my full dinner.

I understand it's a standard cooking thing but I really hadn't gone there.

Had a bunch of sorrel from the garden, and some lake trout a friend brought over. I made trout with a sorrel cream sauce and a side of snap peas also from the garden. Also made some summer squash and basil soup topped with some yogurt and pine nuts. Got the summer squash from the tsa and basil from the garden. Everything turned out great
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I was craving cookies, so I pulled out my mom's old Betty Crocker and found a recipe for sugar cookies that I had everything for. The dough is in the fridge right now, and I'm baking once the Dodgers win this game (here's hoping.)

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

enjoy your stupid Dodgers cookies (nothing personal).

Update on my DIY sous vide machine project: Abandoned it after my gf gave me the Anova immersion cooker. All I can say is holy shit. Done a few steaks in it that were unreal. Today I did a couple lobster tails sealed with butter. Not only were the tails done to perfection, but the butter/lobster juice that was saved inside the bag was insanely good. Usually when I bake or broil a tail I lose all that, but no more.

Anova is coming out with their second generation one this fall (getting rid of the unnecessary touchscreen, and making give it more flexible immersion options). I think It'll retail for $179. Highly recommend it. It's nearly impossible to screw something up with this thing.

i use a le creuset stovetop grill in lieu of going down to my apartment complex grill. after using this for awhile now, i don't think i am using it right. does anyone have experience with these? i feel like the outside gets brown too quick in comparison to the inside. what is the secret to getting the perfect cook of meat?

here's what i have tried:

1. not using any oil (meat stuck to pan)
    2. olive oil on the meat
    3. olive oil on the pan
    4. accidentally setting my burner to high (wouldn't recommend and neither would the fire alarm)
    5. setting my burner to medium, letting it heat up, then placing the meat on, cooking at even intervals, and turning

should i be using lower heat? should i vary the heat? any suggestions are appreciated. thanks
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 07-14-2014 at 09:35 AM.

i use a le creuset stovetop grill in lieu of going down to my apartment complex grill. after using this for awhile now, i don't think i am using it right. does anyone have experience with these? i feel like the outside gets brown too quick in comparison to the inside. what is the secret to getting the perfect cook of meat?

here's what i have tried:

1. not using any oil (meat stuck to pan)
    2. olive oil on the meat
    3. olive oil on the pan
    4. accidentally setting my burner to high (wouldn't recommend and neither would the fire alarm)
    5. setting my burner to medium, letting it heat up, then placing the meat on, cooking at even intervals, and turning

should i be using lower heat? should i vary the heat? any suggestions are appreciated. thanks
    I use to use one all the time, if you are doing steak I recommend high to start, letting the pan get extremely hot prior to putting the meat on. You want it to smoke. Season the steak heavily, rub it down with olive oil, make sure the meat is room temp before putting it on the grill pan, turn on your vent and open the patio door and sear the outside. If you like your steak a little more well done lower the heat to medium after the outside is seared and cover with a lid, or put it in the oven for a bit.

For chicken, pork chops or anything else I would start it at a medium high to high heat for a good sear on the outside, then lower the heat to medium and cover.
    Last edited by locachica73; 07-14-2014 at 09:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

FYI, sur la table is offering 1/2 price cooking classes through monday. i am taking a gnocci class

What would half price run me?

$33 instead of $70 or whatever. i am working early friday and going to a 2-4pm class at kierland if you are interested, the menu looks YUMMY! you get a meal of everything you cooked and i have been told you can bring wine.

http://www.surlatable.com/sku/1691542/Gnocchi+Workshop

youtube is free

Ivy, that sounds cool, but I won't be able to make it this time around. Take notes and you can teach me later. I will bring wine.