Page 115 of 120 FirstFirst ... 110111112113114115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 3582

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    About three months ago I entered a raffle put on my one of my students' soft ball leagues. The main prize was $250 of meat from a local meat packing/distributing warehouse. Despite buying only two tickets, I won the prize, and ordered:

5# Porterhouse steak
    5# Rib Eye steak
    5# Ground Beef 27%
    4# Boneless Rib Roast
    2# Boneless Pork Chops
    5# Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast
    1# Kangaroo Medallions
    2# Wahoo
    2# Yellow Fin Tuna Steaks
    2# Lamb Leg Boneless
    1# Lamb Rack

After winning 34 lbs of assorted meats, I've been playing around with some things. The first night I got the meat, I cooked up one of my porterhouse steaks. I let it set to room temp for three hours, coated in salt, ground black pepper, white pepper, cayenne and garlic powder, and then I grilled it up to medium rare. It was excellent. Last night I made a Japanese chicken curry. Unfortunately, I used chicken breasts whereas I've always gone with thighs before, so the meat was a bit chewier than normal. Tonight, however, we made a prime rib. I used a rub that my brother knew from a bbq place he used to work at, and the meat came out just perfect, rare with tons of flavor and a great, spicy crust. So far, the best thing I've done with the meat.
    You won all that meat?! I wish I were that lucky. Never heard of people raffling meat either. It seems like it would raise the bar as far as raffles go.

B lives in the boondocks. They are serious about their meat.

Smoke roasting a whole 8# brisket, Texas style. First-time playing with a brisket or ever attempting to cook/bbq something this long. Maintaining the temp in my smallish Char Griller at 250 with mesquite lump coal and soaked mesquite and apple chunks. 3 hours in and its looking great. Only 3 more then wrap with apple cider for two more hours. Any tips?
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Taking a wizard shit in the ocean is so Jack Johnson.

Texas Crutch.

edit: oh i see you have the cider. you should be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Yeah got the tips/ recipe from saveur.com. wanted a nice char so I didn't go with KC method of a pan the whole time.
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?

How do I pull pics from my Android?

I'll foil my briskets only if they need it, but usually I'll use beef stock or nothing. I'll also typically inject the briskets but nothing too sweet. Flavor profile you're generally going for with brisket is a salt/pepper/let the meat shine thing. You'll also be surprised that the brisket may take much longer than anticipated. Every one cooks different depending on the fat/connective tissue/etc. I've had whole packers take up to 12-14 hours.

I don't use apple wood for briskets, only pork and chicken. I'll use oak which is fairly traditional for texas style. Mesquite I may use on rare occasion, but if I do I'm going to reduce the time exposed to smoke since it is so strong. Can easily develop an off/acrid flavor to the meat and is more susceptible to creosote flavors.

With regards to "char", don't let that drive your cooking method, unless you're implying bark, which can still be formed relatively well in a pan. If you want true "char" you can cook direct very briefly.

I'll separate the point from the flat and make burnt ends in a pan. Point delicious, but is usually too fatty for many, so separate the point, cut into chunks/cubes, and put back in the smoker.

For the flat, you'll want it to be around 190-195. Overcook and it'll get stringy and then it'll dry out. Whether you separate the flat or not, you'll want to rest the meat. Use a "faux-Cambro" - pull the meat out, wrap in foil (if not already wrapped), wrap in 1-2 towels you don't mind smelling like smoke or getting dirtied, and then put in a smallish cooler. Let rest for at least 30 minutes (can keep temp for 2-3 hours).

Oh, and we EXPECT pics when done! Good luck!
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Thanks! I'm at 5 hrs now and was thinking of the crutch with cider. I don't have a hypodermic needle handy nor do I have a thermometer. So like a blind man in an orgy, I'm gonna have to feel my way out...
    It's looking great and I'm scared the pouch will soften the bark...

But here we go.... Pics from an android recs?

The pouch will definitely soften the bark. I would take it out of the pouch for the last hour or so. I've never injected anything into a brisket, just a heavy dose of salt and pepper, throw it on the smoker for about 15% of the cook time then wrap for 30%. Then finish unwrapped for the last 55%. I keep a spray bottle of Apple cider vinegar for the last few hours to spray periodically. I also use water soaked pecan shells to throw on the fire.
    Last edited by disgustipated; 05-23-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Ok. I'm a meatcutter up north and got this brisket on the cheap since it was already cryovacd for 60+ days. I kept it sealed for another 30 ish and this will be the result. Can't pass up an opportunity to play pit master for $2.99/#!

Quote Originally Posted by Propellerpete View Post
    But here we go.... Pics from an android recs?

1. Load photo app in droid
    2. toss droid in trash
    3. buy iphone
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Tom--ha ha. I will be sure to disclude you from the upcoming photos. @disgustipated i find pecan shells really harsh no? my moms from AL and we rarely used shells for bbqin. idk. Ive also got some INTENSE smoked salt made with pecan shells so im probably biased or have a bad product, or both.

Shes starting to fall apart. Bark started to slip off, so i had to try it....

Not really using the shells for flavor. They're mainly used to control my heat. I toss a handful on at a time when I need to lower the temp. The added benefit is they burn hot so they help maintain the heat as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

Hey Ron, do you let them use the stove?

I've got a 2# boneless lamb leg I'm going to cook up on Thursday or Friday. Any recipes?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

make a marinade of olive oil, a bottle of red wine, rosemary sprigs, minced garlic, chopped anchovy filets (trust me on this one), and red pepper flakes.

trim the meat to remove excess fat and silver skin, separating it into individual muscles if possible. cut into big chunks (2" or so).

put the meat in the marinade and refrigerate and let it go at least 4 hours but probably overnight. bring back to room temperature before proceding.

remove meat from marinade, wipe off the sticky bits, and grill it

meanwhile pour the marinade into a pan, bring to a simmer and reduce to a nice sauce. be careful not to overcook or cook too fast or the sauce will separate.

Would you rinse the anchovy fillets first to decrease the saltiness? I heard about this approach as a recommended way to use anchovies, but so far I've not used them.

you can do that if you want, though I don't see a need in this context. the anchovies add flavor to the marinade and sort of dissolve when you cook it to a sauce, so their saltiness just reduces the amount of salt you would add otherwise.

edit: another way to reduce the salt in anchovies is by steeping them in milk for a little while (say 15 mins).
    Last edited by TomAz; 05-27-2014 at 07:10 AM.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I use anchovies quite a bit and don't really see the point of taking the salt out of them. Their particular kind of saltiness is what they're for IMO. Probably better to reduce the amount of anchovy or cut down any other salts instead. This of course not having made Tom's particular recipe so take that advice with a grain of salt-substitute.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 05-27-2014 at 05:10 PM.

I've heard from two separate friends who cook frequently that they find the flavor of the anchovy comes through quite a bit more if you just rinse the excess brine off. Like I said, I've never really cooked with them so I don't have any opinion on the matter, but they had a reason behind their madness at least.

I also eat anchovies straight out of the tin. I like anchovies.

For a big roast like a leg, I don't think there's any need to soak anchovies. Maybe eating them on something that is uncooked or already salty there could be a case, but I like the hit of salt.

As far as your leg goes, how did it turn out? I usually will roast mine until soft and tender rather than cooking it to med rare. I've also butterflied a leg and rolled it up with simple rosemary/garlic/olive oil/black pepper/salt and seasoned the outside, sear in pan, and then cook in oven until soft and connective tissue comes apart. I smoked one not too long ago like this and it came out great.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

totally off subject but holy crap I bought some crushed aleppo peppers and I add it to everything lately and EVERYTHING IS MORE DELICIOUS!
    Last edited by getbetter; 05-28-2014 at 06:01 PM.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I made whipped cream for the first time the other day. I new it was easy to do but never realized it was that easy to do. Plus it was so much better then the store bought stuff. I don't eat it to often but from here on out it is the only way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I've heard from two separate friends who cook frequently that they find the flavor of the anchovy comes through quite a bit more if you just rinse the excess brine off. Like I said, I've never really cooked with them so I don't have any opinion on the matter, but they had a reason behind their madness at least.
    I mainly use them in pasta and pizza sauces, and the occasional ceasar dressing, where it's not necessarily supposed to stand out. And also I love stuff perhaps too salty for most. so that's my story. I supposed of you really want to directly taste the anchovies then that's fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    I made whipped cream for the first time the other day. I new it was easy to do but never realized it was that easy to do. Plus it was so much better then the store bought stuff. I don't eat it to often but from here on out it is the only way to go.
    I like to experiment with putting unintuitive flavors in it.
    The only downside of making your own is you inevitably make too much and find some excuse to eat it all.

True. No one makes 1/2 a cup.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

what does "brodo" mean? i have an italian recipe to make chicken, then risotto. the risotto calls for "the brodo ", which is not a listed ingredient. could that be the leftover juice from cooking the chicken?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    For a big roast like a leg, I don't think there's any need to soak anchovies. Maybe eating them on something that is uncooked or already salty there could be a case, but I like the hit of salt.

As far as your leg goes, how did it turn out? I usually will roast mine until soft and tender rather than cooking it to med rare. I've also butterflied a leg and rolled it up with simple rosemary/garlic/olive oil/black pepper/salt and seasoned the outside, sear in pan, and then cook in oven until soft and connective tissue comes apart. I smoked one not too long ago like this and it came out great.
    I went more with the second approach and I was quite happy with how it turned out: very tender, flavorful and juicy. I used the anchovies with my brussel sprouts, which was great.