Page 114 of 117 FirstFirst ... 109110111112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,420 of 3482

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    How was the tripe in taco form? The tripe I had was delicious and had a nice chewiness to it, but I'm not sure if I'd want that in a taco.
    What miscorrections said. They're so damn good. My go-to taco is lengua, but if you find a place with good tripas you're in for a treat.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    That's just a long winded way to say piccata.
    I just C&Pd the recipe from Food & Wine.

are you ever ambivalent about anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What miscorrections said. They're so damn good. My go-to taco is lengua, but if you find a place with good tripas you're in for a treat.
    We don't have much in regards to Latin American food up here, but the Japanese place across from my place does a great tripe (perfect with a beer) as well as a delicious tongue curry.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I just C&Pd the recipe from Food & Wine.

are you ever ambivalent about anything?
    ironically I advocate calling pizza margherita "Flat Round Baked Dough with Drops of Mozarella, Fresh Basil, and Indeterminate Amount of Sauce and Sliced Tomatoes".

I just made a quart of Pureed Spinach, Walnuts and Hazelnuts in Olive oil with Basil, Garlic, Parmesan and Romano cheeses, Fennel leaves, Salt and a bit of Vinegar.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Finally ended up receiving my kickstarter immersion circulator and gave it a spin tonight cooking everything with it.

Striploin cooked to 132 degrees then seared with some butter and thyme. Yukon gold potatoes sealed with thyme and duck fat. Carrots sealed with butter and basil olive oil.

Golden pears poached in a mulled wine syrup. Topped with french vanilla ice cream and graham crumbs.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I just made a quart of Pureed Spinach, Walnuts and Hazelnuts in Olive oil with Basil, Garlic, Parmesan and Romano cheeses, Fennel leaves, Salt and a bit of Vinegar.
    LOL

anyone have any good bruchetta recipes to share? any with pesto? thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    Finally ended up receiving my kickstarter immersion circulator and gave it a spin tonight cooking everything with it.

Striploin cooked to 132 degrees then seared with some butter and thyme. Yukon gold potatoes sealed with thyme and duck fat. Carrots sealed with butter and basil olive oil.

Golden pears poached in a mulled wine syrup. Topped with french vanilla ice cream and graham crumbs.
    This looks delicious, and I like your plates.

Passover time. While I don't care for any of the religious aspect to it at all I do love the food. Made Matzo Ball soup tonight. Well just the Matzo Balls, made the chicken soup yesterday as I like to wait a day to skim off the fat. It was good but I didn't get the flavors just right. Most likely going to make it again in the next few days so next time should be better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I'm a proponent of schmaltz in lieu of oil to enhance flavor. My girlfriend got the wrong matzot last night so I was stuck with Osem whole wheat. Let's just say my knaidlach turned out like cannonballs.

Rest of meal was solid, made a sweet potato kugel. I couldn't find a brisket at the market so I just made a chuck roast instead. Burned my lamb shank with a propane torch. Everything else was standard issue - gefilte (whitefish/pike), charoset, etc.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

About three months ago I entered a raffle put on my one of my students' soft ball leagues. The main prize was $250 of meat from a local meat packing/distributing warehouse. Despite buying only two tickets, I won the prize, and ordered:

5# Porterhouse steak
    5# Rib Eye steak
    5# Ground Beef 27%
    4# Boneless Rib Roast
    2# Boneless Pork Chops
    5# Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast
    1# Kangaroo Medallions
    2# Wahoo
    2# Yellow Fin Tuna Steaks
    2# Lamb Leg Boneless
    1# Lamb Rack

After winning 34 lbs of assorted meats, I've been playing around with some things. The first night I got the meat, I cooked up one of my porterhouse steaks. I let it set to room temp for three hours, coated in salt, ground black pepper, white pepper, cayenne and garlic powder, and then I grilled it up to medium rare. It was excellent. Last night I made a Japanese chicken curry. Unfortunately, I used chicken breasts whereas I've always gone with thighs before, so the meat was a bit chewier than normal. Tonight, however, we made a prime rib. I used a rub that my brother knew from a bbq place he used to work at, and the meat came out just perfect, rare with tons of flavor and a great, spicy crust. So far, the best thing I've done with the meat.

According to Facebook, it's an eating holiday.

To the yom haatzmaut celbrants,,I hope you enjoyed this new wave hallmarkish holiday and the liturgurgal praxis demanded therein. That said, to me conservative Judiasm had too many to sufficient sufficient holidays when I was young and these new ones are a bit much or, to put it in yiddish,, a stickle mesug and should be left to the frum.. Heck, I'm at best a maybe on the ancient and well established holidays that make sense to me-- even if I skip the the liturgy-- but going further without a food I'm commanded to cook nd eat goes to far for me. asks too much. All jewish holidays go to feast or famine as I was raised but regardless the food food was central -- break-fast/over-eat ; the meal was planned. The food tethered me to what religiosty I'm comfortable with but I have no sense food idewtification with these add on holiday. So as one from the controversial anit-zionist asimilated camp of American askenazi jews who identifies with both eastern europian sensibilities and diasporic thinking -- which dovetale and compartmentalize nicely -- I feel disinclined to join in to the new as i only liked the old for the food.. That said, I think the qua religiousty of my upbringing was proportional and felicitious. There is no big tent in Judiasm which may be why Spinoza thought Judiasm was bad for the Jews and lived righteously without a religious affiliation after he got the boot. Show me a Cherum!!!

About three months ago I entered a raffle put on my one of my students' soft ball leagues. The main prize was $250 of meat from a local meat packing/distributing warehouse. Despite buying only two tickets, I won the prize, and ordered:

5# Porterhouse steak
    5# Rib Eye steak
    5# Ground Beef 27%
    4# Boneless Rib Roast
    2# Boneless Pork Chops
    5# Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast
    1# Kangaroo Medallions
    2# Wahoo
    2# Yellow Fin Tuna Steaks
    2# Lamb Leg Boneless
    1# Lamb Rack

After winning 34 lbs of assorted meats, I've been playing around with some things. The first night I got the meat, I cooked up one of my porterhouse steaks. I let it set to room temp for three hours, coated in salt, ground black pepper, white pepper, cayenne and garlic powder, and then I grilled it up to medium rare. It was excellent. Last night I made a Japanese chicken curry. Unfortunately, I used chicken breasts whereas I've always gone with thighs before, so the meat was a bit chewier than normal. Tonight, however, we made a prime rib. I used a rub that my brother knew from a bbq place he used to work at, and the meat came out just perfect, rare with tons of flavor and a great, spicy crust. So far, the best thing I've done with the meat.
    Curious as to what you'll do with the Roo. I've had it BBQed and it was yummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

On a thin layer of pizza dough, spread an ample supply of Hot Siracha sauce. Sprinkle liberally with a high quality of motzarella [sp] cheese, then add pre-cooked, crumbled bacon bits. Bake in a hot oven. While baking, thinly slice a beefsteak tomato and wash up a handfull of aragula [sp] leaves. Remove baked pizza and add tomates are the leaves to the top. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and just a dab of cider vinegar.
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

So I'm making a dinner for a bunch of family on Sunday, and I was planning on doing BBQ ribs. I fucked up shopping at Costco and picked up a huge package of country style pork loin "ribs" rather than the baby backs I intended to get. Suggestions for salvaging this? If I attempt to grill these, are they just going to dry out? Should I just freeze these to slow cook at some future point and go back and buy the real deal?
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    It's hard to argue with that.

Bake them at a low temp in the oven til they're tender then grill them up. It's actually easier to do it this way. Unless you're smoking, you really don't need to grill ribs besides the last couple minutes. The rub, sauce, marinade, or any combination of those will take care of the flavor.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

So I put pork chops w/bbq sauce in the slow cooker on low at 12:30 thinking we'd be home at 7:30/8 to eat, but it turns out we have to leave at 7. If I turn the heat up to high at like 4:30 for an hour or so is it going to be horrible?

7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Pork chops aren't something that I'd slow cook - little fat, not much connective tissue, but since that ship has sailed, curious how they turned out.

Ever since I started making soft scrambled eggs I can not eat scrambled eggs any other way. It's like I had never even tasted what eggs are supposed to taste like
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

On the subject of pork chops, anyone got any recipes for a marinade and/or cooking method? I've got some defrosting right now and was thinking of trying a new recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Ever since I started making soft scrambled eggs I can not eat scrambled eggs any other way. It's like I had never even tasted what eggs are supposed to taste like
    Same. I don't regularly eat eggs any way other than scrambled so if I am going to make eggs I will take the time to soft scramble them. Or make a frittata is the other option.

On the subject of pork chops, anyone got any recipes for a marinade and/or cooking method? I've got some defrosting right now and was thinking of trying a new recipe.
    I really loved this recipe for Pork Chops with Gooseberry Sauce, though it is more about the tart berries than doing anything special with the pork. I have also made it with redcurrants. So fucking good.

thick or thin? bone in or no?
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

No bone, about 3/4".

I'm intrigued to see what you say, but I just threw them in a marinade.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Same. I don't regularly eat eggs any way other than scrambled so if I am going to make eggs I will take the time to soft scramble them. Or make a frittata is the other option.
    We got a couple chickens recently, can't wait until they start producing eggs.

I've got a few boneless 3/4 inch porkchops left, so definitely interested in your recommendation as well, Tom. As for the ones I slow-cooked, they turned out drier than I would have liked. Not spectacular, but I wasn't aiming for much and I like Stubbs bbq sauce which is what they cooked in. Then, this morning, I added them to soft boiled eggs w/shallots and topped it with white cheddar cheese.

I've also got a pound or so of ground turkey meat that has been in my freezer for a while because I haven't thought of what to make with it.

7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Well, what I did turned out pretty killer. I wanted to take an Asian spin on a pork chop dinner, so I made some smothered bok choy, ginger-soy mashed potatoes and pork chops with the following marinade:

• Marinade:
    • 3 Tablespoons soy sauce
    • 3 Tablespoons Oriental sesame oil
    • 3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
    • 3 Tablespoons dry sherry
    • 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
    • 1 Tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    • 1 shallot, finely chopped
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt

• Then I pan-seared them for about 15 minutes, and they turned out a tasty, tender medium.

15 mins seems like a long time for pork chops, I'm typically shooting for the 5-6 mins per side. I usually cook until internal temp of about 145. Another consideration is with Asian I'll keep my marinade on the simpler side (soy, shaoxing/sherry, and maybe a hint of garlic) and then I'll make a sauce/glaze for the finished chop. If I'm pan searing, I may add a hint of sugar to develop crust, but I'll save the majority of the sugar component for a finishing sauce/glaze. Mirin is useful for that application as well.

Usually my pork chops will either be a dry rub, or I'll go for an herbacious paste or dry brine. Cooks illustrated just did a show (on America's test kitchen) where they did a wet brine and then an anchovy/honey slather on both sides to promote browning on the grill/flavor development and then did a relish. I'm sure the recipe is available on the internet.

One thing to be mindful of pork is depending on your source, it's often injected/"enhanced" with salt or phosphates. More so than beef or even chicken. Usually not that many "brands" of pork. Kroger (think Ralphs, Fry's, etc.) sells their "Silver Platter" pork which I'd avoid at all costs. Other grocery chains have their own version. Read the label. If you do use enhanced pork, be mindful that it doesn't need additional brining as the phosphates/solution is there to promote moisture retention.

Guedita - ground turkey - meatballs, burgers, meat sauce. You could get a little more creative and shoot for a koobideh-style kebab. A lot depends on the fat content, for the meatballs and burgers I try for 85% lean. That 93% or even 97% shit dries out, with that type of turkey I usually will use for taco meat, pasta sauce, lasagna filling, etc. (or anything else you use ground beef). Also - since pork chops don't have a lot of connective tissue, they don't really respond to slow cooking/braising well as say shoulder/butt/picnic/ribs. Kind of the same reason you wouldn't want to slow cook a beef sirloin but you would do so for a chuck/round.

rather than cooking and finishing in the pan, I prefer to sear pork chops for just a couple minutes then put the pan in the oven to finish.

braising is another good option if you have the time and inclination.

Bryan, these recipes may be more elaborate than what you were going for, but they have both done me well.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/m...toes-and-gravy

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/p...age-and-apples

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Same as Tom said. Sear the fuck out of it for about 2 min each side (turn the heat down on the flip if it's cast iron so you don't burn whatever's going in your pan sauce) then set it in oven or toaster at 300 or so for the ~8 minutes or so it may take to finish the sauce.