Page 112 of 117 FirstFirst ... 107108109110111112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,360 of 3505

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

I'm in love with my pressure cooker. Risotto in 7 minutes? Curries or beef bourguignon in 20 minutes? Yes please!
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

I am currently eating soup that reminds me a lot of a big bowl peanut satay sauce. This is a good thing.

(Link to Almond Chicken Soup with Sweet Potato, Collards, and Ginger)

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Why the fuck is it such a challenge to find a decent skillet with a fucking lid
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I just mix and match my skillets with lids from pots. This is not a very elegant solution. However, I do think that All-Clad has some nice options for skillet/lid combos.

Speak of the devil I just found this http://www.crateandbarrel.com/all-cl...ith-lid/f53612
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

BOOM.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i want to hear more about this lid preference
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

It's not so much of a "preference" as sheer practicality. Sometimes you need to cover what's cooking in your skillet.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

All-clad's 9" french skillet has an awesome domed lid.
    It's an awesome all around general purpose pan.

Here it is on sale
    http://www.chefscornerstore.com/all-...A#.Ut4knBw75L8

stay away from all-clad's latest 11" french skillet.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 01-20-2014 at 10:45 PM.

It's not so much of a "preference" as sheer practicality. Sometimes you need to cover what's cooking in your skillet.
    well yeah, but i guess i've never been frustrated with a lid so i'm not sure what sort of problems people run into.

So I'm going to try making a simple chicken broth, as I have 8 raw thigh bones with some meat still on them. Reading online it seems pretty simple, but for those with some experience is this essentially what the process is?

Put bones in a stock pot or Dutch oven with some roughly chopped carrot, celery, onion, parsley, and bay leaf
    Pour in filtered water an inch or two above solids and bring to boil
    Reduce to low simmer and let it go for a long time, skimming the stuff which comes to the top
    Run through colander and place liquid in fridge overnight
    Skim fat in the morning

Are there any steps I am missing/could do a bit differently? Also, I have a 6qt. stock pot and a 5.5qt. Dutch oven - is one better than the other to use?

peppercorns.

the "inch or two above solids" is fine but what you get will be a function of the dimensions of your pan and how many solids you put in. You can always add water if there's not enough or reduce, when you're done, if it's too watery.

the key here is to not let the boiling get too vigorous. you want to be able to skim as many of the impurities as you can. a rolling boil will just emulsify a lot of that.

After draining through the colander, you could further strain the broth if you have a fine mesh strainer. this will get specks and shit out. if that's important to you.

don't salt it until you're done. if you salt it to taste then reduce it, you'll wind up with something too salty.

another option is to roast the bones first but if you just want a simple broth that's not necessary.

I would use a stock pot, this sort of thing is what it is designed for. the dutch oven will give you a different ratio of liquid to solid and also a different evap rate (wider pot = more surface area = higher evap rate, all other things being equal).

but these are all details. you have it right. it's not rocket science.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

one other thing: 8 thigh bones isn't a lot of bones. you may find you need to reduce the final broth more than you thought to get it to taste the way you want.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I agree with what Tom says.

You want the water you use to start out cold. And you want to pick the pot that is the tallest, which probably means the stock pot.

I tend to roast bones and even vegetables before making the stock but this is a flavor preference and not necessary.

I would also add about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, white vinegar or white wine. This will help break down the bones.

I like to make ice cubes with the stock I am not going to use right away (the stock will only keep like 3 days) which makes it easy to add a splash of stock to a sauce, roasted vegetables, etc.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 01-24-2014 at 05:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Thanks for the advice, guys; I realize making stock is a relatively simple process, but like all simple things the devil is in the details so these little tips really are helpful.

With the small amount of bones I currently have, would it be better to just wait until I get some more (they came from an 8-pack of chicken thighs which I deboned) or just use, like, one carrot, half an onion, and a few stalks of celery along with the herbs and spices?

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    What the hell. 40 minutes? I understand it'll take a while to get to that point but shit.

Ahh, reading the comments the blogger notes that Keller is after a light taste and does not want any gelatin. This short cooking time is also why he has to finely dice his aromatics. And no vinegar or wine. I might at some point try out a light stock but what I have made thus far has been heavier, thicker stocks (hence roasting the bones).

If you are going for a thicker, heavier stock with gelatin I would plan for a light simmer for at least 6 hours, until the bones start to break down. And if this is the case there is no reason to dice your aromatics.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, guys; I realize making stock is a relatively simple process, but like all simple things the devil is in the details so these little tips really are helpful.

With the small amount of bones I currently have, would it be better to just wait until I get some more (they came from an 8-pack of chicken thighs which I deboned) or just use, like, one carrot, half an onion, and a few stalks of celery along with the herbs and spices?
    I would probably save them until you have three or more pounds of bones because of how much time making the stock takes. Though yes, you certainly could make a small batch and that would be a good way to do it. (The other way would be to make it a Mostly Vegetable Stock with a little Chicken).

I keep fowl bones, beef bones and excess vegetables in separate bags the freezer. Whenever I buy too much celery, carrots, onion, leeks or whatever it gets rough chopped and thrown in the bag. Next time I have a free weekend I am going to make beef stock and I already have enough vegetables ready to defrost and use.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 01-23-2014 at 10:57 AM.

I agree, save the bones (you can freeze them) till you have a bunch more.

Thanks again guys!

I have the luxury of having couple butchers close that sell chicken (and other) bones very cheap. I realize others don't, but many don't even realize that's even a thing. I'd look into it.

^ Great idea; there are a few stores in my area that I can think of to ask.

I also think that's why Keller chooses to include chicken feet in his recipe: super cheap for lots of flavor.

I'm like John in that I keep ziplock bags in my freezer with bits and pieces to eventually add to stock. Every single time I peel a carrot, chop the end off a celery stalk, or peel an onion, all that extra stuff goes in the stock bag instead of the compost bin. I cook regularly, but I'm still always surprised at how quick the bag fills up.

Actually I don't use scraps and peels, really. It is my understanding that they will make a bitter stock.

What I mean is I will buy a head of celery, use four or five stalks and then the rest will sit. I don't use it in that many things and don't eat it raw. I would buy four stalks if they sold them that way (for less than a full head) but they don't. So half a head would just be thrown out so instead I will cut off the base and the leaves and put the otherwise good stalks in the freezer bag. The base and the leaves go in the compost bin (in season) or trash.

Most other stock vegetables are somewhat similar, though I will eat carrots a lot and use onions and leeks far more often. And I suppose I don't generally eat fennel stalks, onion stalks or similar anyway so when available they just get trimmed and stuck in the freezer. And, really, these things I buy almost as much for the stalks to make stock as for the standard vegetable part.

Though I have never using peelings, leaves, bases, etc for stock. It might be interesting to make a (Mostly) Vegetable Stock with bits like that and see how it comes out. If I can't taste any problems that would increase my ability to make stock.

I'd be wary of adding too many leaves as they might produce an unappetizing color without imparting significant flavor. If you try it you might want to keep extra onion skins around to balance the color if it matters.

this stock talk is turning me on.

had quite the adventure in the kitchen yesterday making birthday cake. my friend is a producer, so i made little records and tried to write the name of is songs, but only had enough frosting for one. the devils food cake stuck to the pans and took forever to get out. i made fudge frosting and dyed it black to look like a record. the frosting recipe called for making a different fudge recipe, but i was stupid though and instead of keeping it warmer to spread, i let it cool to fudge. so i had to heat it back up and added some milk. it tasted ok, just a little dry. then i made decorative frosting for the label and forgot to add the water. still turned out ok, i just also added blue dye to the whole thing. so i scooped out a tiny bit of white to write with. it was my first time making this kinda frosting though. all in all, it turned out ok!

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Actually I don't use scraps and peels, really. It is my understanding that they will make a bitter stock.

What I mean is I will buy a head of celery, use four or five stalks and then the rest will sit. I don't use it in that many things and don't eat it raw. I would buy four stalks if they sold them that way (for less than a full head) but they don't. So half a head would just be thrown out so instead I will cut off the base and the leaves and put the otherwise good stalks in the freezer bag. The base and the leaves go in the compost bin (in season) or trash.

Most other stock vegetables are somewhat similar, though I will eat carrots a lot and use onions and leeks far more often. And I suppose I don't generally eat fennel stalks, onion stalks or similar anyway so when available they just get trimmed and stuck in the freezer. And, really, these things I buy almost as much for the stalks to make stock as for the standard vegetable part.

Though I have never using peelings, leaves, bases, etc for stock. It might be interesting to make a (Mostly) Vegetable Stock with bits like that and see how it comes out. If I can't taste any problems that would increase my ability to make stock.
    I just meant that we are similar in that we both stockpile stock ingredients in the freezer.

I don't tend to notice any bitterness when I use scraps, and I include absolutely everything (celery leaves, onion skins, whatever), but I'm also using lovely produce from my local CSA delivery so that could be part of the reason -- or it could be that it's just what I'm used to. I think the only scrap I would be reticent to include would be carrot greens.

Couple of thoughts on what has already been said -

Thigh bones aren't the best for making stock, you're ideally going for bones that serve as structure to the rest of the animal and thus have a lot of gelatin and other cartilage/connective tissue. Feet, wings, wing tips, backs, necks, etc. all work great.

I brown my vegetables/meat if I want a darker color and more of a rounded flavor - it depends on what I'm using the stock for.

Time wise I usually aim for about 4 hours on the stove. I'm not one to like the bones to break down too much, despite straining you add a lot of "particulates" which will make the stock murky. Again, depends on what you're using the stock for. If it's a clear soup, you'll want to avoid that. I find with 4 hours that's plenty for all of the flavor to extract and collagen/gelatin to be pulled out. My stock gels in the fridge no problem.

I also agree about the slow slow simmer (not boil) and skimming being critical.

Lastly, for anyone with a pressure cooker I'm curious as to results la Heston Blumenthal's method.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post

Lastly, for anyone with a pressure cooker I'm curious as to results la Heston Blumenthal's method.
    I'll give it a whirl sometime. What is the relevance of the skim milk powder?

I did the beef stock recipe from ChefSteps and it turned out really freaking good.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    I'll give it a whirl sometime. What is the relevance of the skim milk powder?

I did the beef stock recipe from ChefSteps and it turned out really freaking good.
    Milk powder apparently helps with the mallard reaction.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove