Page 110 of 117 FirstFirst ... 105106107108109110111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 3,271 to 3,300 of 3482

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I would gladly slaughter children to ensure that cayenne pepper was constantly available. I also love paprika.
    These are typically the two bottles that cycle most frequently in my rack as well. Although crushed red pepper comes in a close third. I might not slaughter my own children for crushed red pepper, but definitely at least yours.

I love crushed red pepper (and really, white pepper like Dave mentioned) but I just don't find it quite as versatile as cumin or cayenne. But give me a variety of peppers and salt and I'm probably good.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I like white pepper because of the versatility. It is delicate, but can also be bold.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

That's what I like about cayenne. It can add flavor or a good burst of spice, and it has the bonus of some great color added to any dish its in. I love me some kick.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Now isn't it hilarious how I typically get accused of intentionally being a twat.
    She said she was having trouble finding lard. I tried to be helpful by showing her the most common brand of lard to be found not only where I live, but in general. It's seems to be sold by most major food chains (including Walmart) in most of the country. If you think it was completely unreasonable and deliberately unhelpful to point out the most popular brand of lard sold in many if not most areas in the country because I didn't study all of your posts and have intimate knowledge of where your highness lives and where everyone else on the message board lives, and you feel compelled to actually take the time to call me out for it rather than just ignore it, well then you're an unwashed cunt.

Get over yourself. If you want a forum where everyone studies you and hangs on your word and nobody dares add anything please go fucking build one. Then hang there and keep felating yourself all day long.
    Funny that you do typically get accused of intentionally being a twat. I'd hope that in conversation, face to face, you aren't such a miserable intolerable arrogant fuck. No one is asking you to study posts you twit. It's that you just incessantly spew whether it adds something to the conversation or doesn't. If we had 47 jackstraw94086's in this thread there would be an exponential number of posts. Personally, I don't feel the need to respond to virtually every fucking new idea or question if it's been answered by someone else.

If that's how you need to assert your omniscience though, post away. Everyone is glad you're here always adding your two cents or correcting them. I bestow my title of highness you've given me back to you. We bow to you, sire.

Postscript: If you do a search for mayonnaise on google, you get the most popular brand of mayonnaise if the country, Hellman's. You should go to your store or Walmart and look for Hellman's. They probably have it. Not too far from the Edy's ice cream.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

so jackstraw, you make pie crust with butter instead of shortening or lard? i feel like the lard is tasty. awhile back i did a taste test between shortening and lard and definitely preferred the lard. i also found it easier to manipulate the dough. but i am trying to replicate my granny's pie dough. she was from the tennessee/mississippi area and swore by lard. at this point i think i've got it down. i'd be willing to try butter though.

so everything turned out great. i didn't realize balsamic wasn't traditional to caprese so i didn't use it or lemon. turned out really tasty, even with a few peppers. i also used cherry tomatoes and cut up the mozzarella i made.

the ravioli filling was super good. i used that ricotta recipe with chives. although, it yielded WAY more than i needed. i still feel like i need a pasta roller though. even though i worked my arms with that rolling pin, it was still a little thick. my date commented on it, but said he actually liked it and went back for seconds. so hopefully he wasn't lying

anyway, that was a lot of detail but thanks for the help everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I have made a butter/lard pie crust that was great but it is also a lot of work. The butter tastes great, the lard gives is a nice flaky crust.

But I'll also make this vinegar/oil pie crust because it is so quick and forgiving. It works great for savory pies.

Vinegar/Oil Pie Crust

PHASE A
    4 cups flour
    1.33 - 1.5 cups [light] cooking oil [can sub softened, unsalted butter for up to half]
    2 T sugar
    2 t salt

PHASE B
    1 egg
    1 T vinegar
    1/2 cup water

Mix phase A well. In a separate small bowl mix phase B. Pour phase B into phase A and mix well.

Chill for at least 1 hour before using.

Roll out inbetween two pieces of waxed paper, then remove one piece and turn into pie pan. It is very forgiving and easy to mush together holes.

Yield: four 9" pie crusts/bottoms.

Will keep in refrigerator for up to one month - oil separation is OK but turning grey is bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Also I made this last weekend and it was amazing. Thomas Keller recipe, again. I really like Thomas Keller recipes.

Duck with Olives and Red Rice
    Canard aux Olives et Riz Rouge de Camargue
    Going to make this in the next couple days. Damn, it looks nice.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    so jackstraw, you make pie crust with butter instead of shortening or lard? i feel like the lard is tasty. awhile back i did a taste test between shortening and lard and definitely preferred the lard. i also found it easier to manipulate the dough. but i am trying to replicate my granny's pie dough. she was from the tennessee/mississippi area and swore by lard. at this point i think i've got it down. i'd be willing to try butter though.

so everything turned out great. i didn't realize balsamic wasn't traditional to caprese so i didn't use it or lemon. turned out really tasty, even with a few peppers. i also used cherry tomatoes and cut up the mozzarella i made.

the ravioli filling was super good. i used that ricotta recipe with chives. although, it yielded WAY more than i needed. i still feel like i need a pasta roller though. even though i worked my arms with that rolling pin, it was still a little thick. my date commented on it, but said he actually liked it and went back for seconds. so hopefully he wasn't lying

Glad it worked out.

Also I made this last weekend and it was amazing. Thomas Keller recipe, again. I really like Thomas Keller recipes.

Duck with Olives and Red Rice
    Canard aux Olives et Riz Rouge de Camargue
    I made this with upstate NY Muscovy duck breasts and it was amazing. Also couldn't find the specific olives listed so used a mix of green and black ones from the market. Also couldn't find the fancy French red rice so I used a Burgundy Red Rice and cooked it a little longer. Will certainly make the rice as a side dish/entree over and over. The duck was great, too and we have a good amount of rendered duck fat for roasted vegetables tomorrow, etc.

Though I don't quite have the color for the camera on my new phone figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    Funny that you do typically get accused of intentionally being a twat. I'd hope that in conversation, face to face, you aren't such a miserable intolerable arrogant fuck. No one is asking you to study posts you twit. It's that you just incessantly spew whether it adds something to the conversation or doesn't. If we had 47 jackstraw94086's in this thread there would be an exponential number of posts. Personally, I don't feel the need to respond to virtually every fucking new idea or question if it's been answered by someone else.

If that's how you need to assert your omniscience though, post away. Everyone is glad you're here always adding your two cents or correcting them. I bestow my title of highness you've given me back to you. We bow to you, sire.

Postscript: If you do a search for mayonnaise on google, you get the most popular brand of mayonnaise if the country, Hellman's. You should go to your store or Walmart and look for Hellman's. They probably have it. Not too far from the Edy's ice cream.
    just fuck off, you self-adoring laborious twat. You are the fucking paradigm know-it-all-ism here so it's quite hilarious to see you accuse anyone else of it. And I already know you have zero sense of humor from the past couple times I made the mistake of reading your posts.
    I don't hope you're less obnoxious face-to-face. I guarantee you're at least as much.

So anyone else saying something on a topic you've already commented on is "spewing". Got it. OK sure, I'm the intolerant one. You realize it was one post about fucking LARD, moron. You made a reply that was obtuse without the precise context of where the fuck you live and so giving you the benefit of the doubt I clarified it with a picture of what I was talking about. "spewing".

What you could have said and not been a fucking asshole was
    A) "actually we dont' have that brand in Phoenix"
    B) nothing.

But you decided to be a fucking piss-soaked blanket of a douche.

Just shut the fuck up already, and ignore me.
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 12-09-2013 at 01:54 PM.

yeah butter's always worked out for me but it's super helpful to use a food processor when doing it that way. I haven't tried it with a pastry cutter but I'd imagine it'd be a bit tougher than working with lard or shortening that way. Pulse a few times until it starts to look like thick beach sand and you can still see tiny little chunks of butter. Right before the point where it would start to ball up. And you want to manipulate the dough as little as possible. handling it too much will cause the butter to melt.

It's also super important that the butter be extremely cold before mixing. Cut it into like half-inch cubes or smaller and then let it sit in the freezer for a little but but make sure it's not frozen solid before mixing.
    So very cold butter and ice cold water are probably even more important than when using another fat. (and try the 1.5t up to 1T of cider or white vinegar)
    Last edited by jackstraw94086; 12-09-2013 at 01:32 PM.

thanks, i'm ok with using a pastry cutter. and i cut into cubes for scones too, good advice.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Freeze & grate! Freeze & grate!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

thanks, i'm ok with using a pastry cutter. and i cut into cubes for scones too, good advice.
    yeah a cutter will probably work out fine but in that event follow Miscorrections' advice and put it back in the freezer for a little bit after mashing it up the larger chunks so you can keep working it for longer before it melts.

You want those teeny tiny little chunks of solid butter still left in there to help it stay as flaky as possible.

i have some questions about pecan pie. please forgive me, but i haven't eaten a lot of pecan pie.

is pecan pie always chilled after it's cooked? i made a recipe from country living that was super good, but it never really "formed" and stayed pretty liquid. we just ate it with ice-cream and it was really delicious. i had put it in the oven about 30 minutes. then at my friend's it was still all liquidy, so i put it back in for another 25 minutes on the advice of someone at the party. made no difference with the liquidness. the one thing i can think of on my end is that i made a corn syrup substitute from scratch and it was still warm when i used it, but the other ingredients were warm too so it didn't seem like a huge deal.

so could it be that i just did something wrong, the recipe is fucked, or should i have put this in the fridge first? there was nothing in the instructions about chilling it.

i have some questions about pecan pie. please forgive me, but i haven't eaten a lot of pecan pie.

is pecan pie always chilled after it's cooked? i made a recipe from country living that was super good, but it never really "formed" and stayed pretty liquid. we just ate it with ice-cream and it was really delicious. i had put it in the oven about 30 minutes. then at my friend's it was still all liquidy, so i put it back in for another 25 minutes on the advice of someone at the party. made no difference with the liquidness. the one thing i can think of on my end is that i made a corn syrup substitute from scratch and it was still warm when i used it, but the other ingredients were warm too so it didn't seem like a huge deal.

so could it be that i just did something wrong, the recipe is fucked, or should i have put this in the fridge first? there was nothing in the instructions about chilling it.
    I could be mistaken here, but isn't what keeps it together akin to making candy? On the surface it sounds like you didn't heat the filling enough and thus the sugar didn't get to temp (and, correspondingly, not enough water came out). The more you heat sugar, the harder it gets upon cooling, depending on the temperature (think of the gradients on a candy thermometer, i.e. soft ball, hard ball, soft crack, hard crack, etc.).

Maybe try more flour in the filling than you used last time (if any)?

First, and probably only, time I made a stuffed pork crown.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

That looks so fucking delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I got this for Christmas. It might be fun!

http://www.molecule-r.com/en/molecul...evolution.html
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

wow, what exactly does that do, i am in public and can't watch the video.

so my pecan pie troubles were because of my homemade corn syrup. came out much better on christmas eve with. store bought stuff. still haven't experimented with the crust.

and i just got a bread making kit on clearance from sur la table. can't wait, i've always wanted to try. and getting. everything for twelve bucks plus a cookbook is a good start.

and i got a food processor for christmas, yay! i can finally make pesto!

oh. and robin, that roast looks great!

That looks wicked fun! Keep us updated on your experiments.

Has anyone made a Beef Wellington before? How did it turn out? I am a bit curious to try making one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I have - I made individual wellingtons. Turned out well, probably used too much foie gras in contrast to the duxelles. I didn't find it overly difficult, but maybe I got lucky with the cook on the beef.

wow, what exactly does that do
    you can use it to make spheres and globules and foams and gelatins of all sorts of stuff.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I realized I have just about all the parts I need to build this thing except the PID controller so I'm gonna build it just for the hell of it.

Prices of dropped on the components anyway so even if you didn't have any parts you could probably build this for $60.

http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/d...-for-about-75/

omg, just made ricotta, pasta dough, and 48 raviolis in six hours. my feet are killing me. does anyone use one of those floor kitchen pad things to stand on? i think i need one!

I realized I have just about all the parts I need to build this thing except the PID controller so I'm gonna build it just for the hell of it.

Prices of dropped on the components anyway so even if you didn't have any parts you could probably build this for $60.

oh very cool. damn. if you build it let us know how it goes

omg, just made ricotta, pasta dough, and 48 raviolis in six hours. my feet are killing me. does anyone use one of those floor kitchen pad things to stand on? i think i need one!
    I have one. it gets dirty. it does help my feet a bit though. but it gets dirty. i have it right where i am chopping/prepping food and you know, stuff falls to the ground.

The same guy who did this did a kickstarter project to fund his design and production for a home sous vide machine for $199. I'm hoping mine arrives sometime in January.

you can use it to make spheres and globules and foams and gelatins of all sorts of stuff.
    I totally want to get into this.

I got a bunch of new toys for Xmas. Pasta roller/cutter attachments for my stand mixer, pressure cooker, and a vacuum sealer for when I get my sous vide machine.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)