Page 77 of 120 FirstFirst ... 7273747576777879808182 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 3582

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    - a play off the Momofuku confit chicken wings (but with drums, as well) tossed in their standard Octo vinaigrette.
    Fucking hell, that sounds like a great idea, and my guests would appreciate them. I may have to change course.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Wow sounds awesome!!!

I have to work til 430 but i'll be firing up the BBQ after with some Teriyaki drumettes and some BBQ-mustard-glazed-bone-in-pork chops maybe a ribeye as well just to make sure we have a well balanced meal, chicken beef pork!
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    Taking a wizard shit in the ocean is so Jack Johnson.

Due to the rainy wet weather up here in Wa State, were having Pot roast for dinner with some baked potatoes instead of putting them in the sauce

Start with a rib cut Chuck Roast, salt and pepper

Sear in a cast iron

Add flavorings and

Then add some high octane red wine and deglaze!!!!

Should be ready around 530-6.
    Hey Betty, how about I take you out some time, we have a nice dinner, some drinks, make fun of some darkies, then I beat the shit out of you on the Sunset Strip and we fuck behind the Whisky. Sound like a plan?

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Hi Pete. Feel free to invite me over for dinner anytime, unless you live in Olympia or Vancouver.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    Hi Pete. Feel free to invite me over for dinner anytime, unless you live in Olympia or Vancouver.
    From Oly but in Bellingham now. C'mon up!

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Aaaaah, too far!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

- a play off the Momofuku confit chicken wings (but with drums, as well) tossed in their standard Octo vinaigrette.
    do you have Chang's cookbook? I just saw that the other day. I didn't get it but I was tempted. Is it worthwhile?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    do you have Chang's cookbook? I just saw that the other day. I didn't get it but I was tempted. Is it worthwhile?
    Yeah, I have his book. It's somewhat of an interesting read, because he writes in his normal voice ("Yeah, fucking delicious three layer pork, bitch!"), but I wouldn't call it an absolutely must have (...when the recipes are as easy to obtain as everything else on the internet), but if his style interests you, at all, you would probably enjoy it.

His flavors tend to be delicious, but usually far from their cultural recipe norm. I have a jar of his kimchi in my fridge. It's way sweeter and tastes more of fish sauce than any that I've had prior, but it's tasty.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

I have never been able to get in to Momofuku when I've been in NY but Chang fascinates me. I have this book where chefs talk about cooking and music. Chang's playlist is by far the best in the book. He calls it Songs to Lose Customers By - songs on heavy rotation at Momofuku

Luna, "Chinatown"
    The Traveling Wilburys, "Margarita"
    The Kinks, "Sweet Lady Genevieve"
    The Clean, "Anything Could Happen"
    Silver Jews, "The Wild Kindness"
    Palace Music, "Work Hard/Play Hard"
    Erma Franklin, "Piece of My Heart"
    The Replacements, "Within Your Reach"
    Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros, "Coma Girl"
    Asamov, "Gone Head"
    The Rosebuds, "Life Like"
    Pink Floyd, "Childhood's End"
    Vetiver, "The Swimming Song"
    801, "T.N.K. (Tomorrow Never Knows)"
    Can, "I'm So Green"

also, excerpt from interview:

TRP: Why is there ice in your urinals?

Chang: So when you piss in it it doesn't splash. Because it's stainless steel, without it, the pee goes all over."

TRP: It's also kind of fun to watch the ice melt.

Chang: Exactly. That's the main reason. I think it's one of the weird pleasures of being a guy is to watch ice melt, or snow melt, when you piss on it.
    Last edited by TomAz; 01-31-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Propellerpete View Post
    Due to the rainy wet weather up here in Wa State, were having Pot roast for dinner with some baked potatoes instead of putting them in the sauce

Start with a rib cut Chuck Roast, salt and pepper

Sear in a cast iron

Add flavorings and

Then add some high octane red wine and deglaze!!!!

Should be ready around 530-6.

you motherfucker...

Quote Originally Posted by Propellerpete View Post
    From Oly but in Bellingham now. C'mon up!
    Big up to the wine section in Haggen.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Big up to the wine section in Haggen.
    You stalking me? Thats where i do most of my shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    you motherfucker...
    Thanks!

I'm doing chicken wings and drums two ways:
    - my every-few-years overly indulgent Buffalo wings that require combining butter/margarine/sour cream and way too many herbs and spices. I wish this didn't taste good, because the recipe is kinda terrible, but it's too awesome.
    Chips/Salsa/guacamole
    Leftover meat ziti from the dinner party the night before.
    Probably a Drakes Hopocalypse (since its released the day before) amongst other beers and gins.
    Will you please post the recipe for the heart attack wings? I want to try them out.

I'm heading to a Super Bowl party on the weekend. Planning on bringing over something I was introduced to when I was tailgating at the GB/SF game. They're called armadillo eggs and its a cream cheese stuffed jalape˝o that is wrapped in bacon and then grilled. I'm thinking of kicking it up a notch and doing a few different additions to the cream cheese stuffing. Suggestions?
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Most people just call those Jalepeno poppers. And they are delicious.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

There are a lot of different variations to those. Google "atomic buffalo turds", "ABTs", "atomic dragon turds" etc.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of cream cheese in them, it's kinda pedestrian. Consider pairing that with a more interesting cheese, like a gruyere, raclette, emmenthal, saint andre, etc. And then consider the cheese and meat pairing with something that will complement that, such as a sliver of fig, dried fruit, dried apple, etc. And then smoke that bastard in a smoker (if you have one) low and slow.

If all of that seems like a PITA, another popular variation is to stuff with bulk sausage or some other meat filling, as well as some cheese. You can take a sliver of cheese, wrap in sausage, stuff in jalapeno (or other chile), wrap in bacon, and poof.

Or, if you really want to fuck your guests over, make one of the poppers stuffed with Bhut Jolokia/Trinidad Scorpion pepper and unfortunate eater gets a prize. Like a burned out esophagus.

Enjoy!

I'm wondering if the subtle goodness of a ComtÚ or Emmenthal would be overwhelmed by the jalepeno?

Believe it or not, when the green jalapeno is smoked, it really mellows out the flavor and the heat (which was somewhat counter intuitive to me when I made my first batch, since chipotles are spicy - the reason for their spicyness is the more mature red jalapenos are used, which when smoked, maintain a lot of thier heat). You'll get more of a true mild smokey green chile flavor instead of a raw hot flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    Will you please post the recipe for the heart attack wings? I want to try them out.
    Combine:
    (1/2 C) 1 stick of room temperature butter
    (1/2 C) 1 stick of room temperature margarine
    2TB Hidden Valley Ranch mix
    1.5 TB Cajun Seasoning
    1 tsp Cayenne
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp cumin

Once combined, stir in 1/2C of sour cream. The coolness of the sour cream will thicken the mixture, so fight through it. At this point, it's ready to use, but I usually just make a wax paper log and throw it in the fridge/freezer until it's needed.

Warm up the Franks on a stove top (or microwave if needed) until it's hot enough to melt the butter when combined. Add however much butter you would normally add.

I usually do the steam/bake wings method, but if you're using butter, margarine, and sour cream, why not deep fry the wings, too?
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    There are a lot of different variations to those. Google "atomic buffalo turds", "ABTs", "atomic dragon turds" etc.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of cream cheese in them, it's kinda pedestrian. Consider pairing that with a more interesting cheese, like a gruyere, raclette, emmenthal, saint andre, etc. And then consider the cheese and meat pairing with something that will complement that, such as a sliver of fig, dried fruit, dried apple, etc. And then smoke that bastard in a smoker (if you have one) low and slow.

If all of that seems like a PITA, another popular variation is to stuff with bulk sausage or some other meat filling, as well as some cheese. You can take a sliver of cheese, wrap in sausage, stuff in jalapeno (or other chile), wrap in bacon, and poof.

Or, if you really want to fuck your guests over, make one of the poppers stuffed with Bhut Jolokia/Trinidad Scorpion pepper and unfortunate eater gets a prize. Like a burned out esophagus.

Enjoy!
    Awesome suggestions. I think pairing some nice cheeses and dried fruit might be a little highbrow for the group that will be in attendance, but it's definitely something I'll try in a different setting. I think I'm going to roll with some roasted garlic, andouille sausage and various cheeses for this endeavour.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Yeah, there's always a fine balance between looking like a total douchey snob and wanting to put out some interesting food.

UFC is on this weekend, so Saturday night I'm making Vatapa (brazilian shrimp stew) and some chicken adobo for my filipino friend. Both are easy, interesting, and tasty as all get out.

Some times when a person comes to my house and brags that nothing is too hot for them and they love hot sauce, I give them a couple of drops of Daves (different kinds) on a toothpick. I love the expression cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Normally I would make something for the Game but not this year. I don't want to be concerned about cooking this year. I'm going to Costco to pick up some of their pre made stuff. Anny suggestions on what to get from there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Costco has the best shit in the world. For easy and a bit lame are their poppers. They are easy and good. All of their frozen wings are pretty good. I would just make a shit load of chile, buy french bread, and be done with it cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

You can't go wrong with most stuff at Costco. There's a ton of heat and serve shit. Not the best quality in the world, but the convenience factor makes it a decent proposition.

I especially think the "El Sol" salsa is a good choice.

I ended up getting wings, meatballs, shrimp, grape leaves, and pita chips and hummus. Not the best things but I'm not going to be worried about cooking tomorrow.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

use more Saffron.

of course ultimately it'd be nice for the price to drop too.

So I have some ground beef and decided to make a meatloaf with it. Ironically enough I have never made one before. Anyone have any good ideas or recipes they feel like sharing with me?

Quote Originally Posted by unit300021 View Post
    So I have some ground beef and decided to make a meatloaf with it. Ironically enough I have never made one before. Anyone have any good ideas or recipes they feel like sharing with me?
    I usually just season it the way I would with hamburgers and just add breadcrumbs.