Page 72 of 117 FirstFirst ... 6768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 3488

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Does anybody have any good stew recipes?
    2 tbsp. unbleached APF
    1 tbsp paprika
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp + 3 tsp chili powder (divided use)
    2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1" cubes
    2 med onions, sliced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 28oz can whole tomatoes, broken into pieces and undrained
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    2 small potatoes, chopped
    3 medium carrots, chopped

In large bowl, mix flour, paprika, salt and 1 tsp chili powder; add in beef and mix until well coated
    Place beef in crock pot and add garlic and veg.; pour in tomatoes and their juices; add remaining chili powder and red pepper flakes.

Cover and cook on high for 8-10 hours.

Makes 8 servings
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

"Very similar to our traditional chicken noodle soup except that it has chicken testicles instead of chicken meat. The soup simply made from testicles and vegetables is cooked in broth until tender. The testicles are creamy on the inside and very soft, similar to tofu but with tight skin like a sausage. Others have compared it to an under cooked egg with a custard consistency."

Waste not want not Just in case you have leftovers ......cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

I have made this a few times. It is quite good.

Beef Daube with Wild Mushrooms

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/b...wild-mushrooms

1 cup dried porcini mushrooms (1 ounce)
    1 cup boiling water, plus 2 cups at room temperature
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    3 pounds trimmed beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
    Kosher salt
    4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
    3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups red wine
    3/4 cup tomato paste
    2 bay leaves
    1 thyme sprig or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    Freshly ground pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 325. In a heatproof bowl, soak the dried porcini in the 1 cup of boiling water until softened, about 20 minutes. Rub the mushrooms together to loosen any grit, then remove them from the water and coarsely chop. Let the soaking liquid stand for 5 minutes to settle, then pour it into a clean bowl, leaving any grit behind.

2. Heat the olive oil in a medium enameled cast-iron casserole. Add one-third of the meat at a time, season with salt and brown well on all sides over moderate heat, about 6 minutes; transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining meat.

3. Add the carrots and onions to the casserole and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.

4. Discard any fat in the casserole. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook until it browns lightly, about 3 minutes. Gradually stir in the wine and the 2 cups of water, scraping up the browned pan juices. Return the meat to the casserole. Add the tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme and the porcini and their soaking liquid. Bring to a boil.

5. Cover the casserole tightly and bake for 3 hours, or until the cubes of beef are very tender. Discard the bay leaves and the thyme sprig and skim the fat from the sauce. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Make Ahead The daube can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Serve With Boiled potatoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I'm cooking a beef stew in the crock pot as we speak. I don't have a lot of experience with stews. How much liquid should there be in relation to the rest of the stuff? At the moment I have 2cups of onion soup & 1/2 cup of red wine. And the liquid barely peaks out from under the meat and veggies. I figure that will change, but if I wanted to add more what would I add?

Also at the moment the sauce is not that flavorful. (again I hope that will change as it has 4 hours more to cook). The spices that the recipe called for were parsley, pepper, and salt. What would I add to give it more flavor and how long should I wait before making any of these decisions?

Sorry, I really don't know what I'm doing.
    Last edited by algunz; 01-06-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Assuming my advice is a bit late here, but bay leaves, thyme and red wine are good flavor enhancers for beef stew. Garlic powder can also pop it up a bit.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I agree with the above, although I tend to prefer minced fresh garlic cloves over garlic powder. I also wouldn't underestimate the value of a good mirepoix base. And LOTS OF TIME to let the flavor profile develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I agree with the above, although I tend to prefer minced fresh garlic cloves over garlic powder. I also wouldn't underestimate the value of a good mirepoix base. And LOTS OF TIME to let the flavor profile develop.
    I kind of second guessed myself on whole cloves of garlic. I think if it's part of the original recipe, it's good to use it. I went with powder simply as an enhancer to overall flavor in a pinch. But mostly agree that when using garlic, fresh is best.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

I haven't made cream puffs in years (decades?), and suddenly felt compelled to. Pastry cream, too. Both turned out delectable. Mmmmm... dessert to watch the season opener of Downton Abbey by.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

mirepoix. heart heart heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I'm roasting Kalua pig for the first time today. Spent the morning at three different Asian markets, looking for ti leaves and banana leaves (all the people I know who had banana trees in their yards have since removed them). No luck. I know florists carry ti leaves, but gave up and didn't want to drive to yet another store. Trying a trick one recipe suggested: place whole bananas on the pork and then wrap tightly in foil. I'm eager to see how it turns out.

Will make cabbage, sticky rice and macaroni salad, too, of course. HAWAIIAN PLATE LUNCH TONIGHT OOH YEAH
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Just an FYI, I didn't do anything and I just let the stew stew. It turned out delicious. I'm going to try some of your other suggestions for recipes soon though, cuz it was so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Just an FYI, I didn't do anything and I just let the stew stew. It turned out delicious. I'm going to try some of your other suggestions for recipes soon though, cuz it was so easy.
    Cool did you take pics? What I like to do sometimes for "beef stew" is put cut up ribs in water and cook over night. Then put the entire ribs in the stew and later the servings (the bones are so big you won't swallow them and it makes for a good presentation). The meat is super tender and ribs tend to be cheaper than some cuts. I usually use rib eye in my stews so a friggin pot of stew costs over $40. Complain complain, oh well. Glad yours came out. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    2 tbsp. unbleached APF
    1 tbsp paprika
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp + 3 tsp chili powder (divided use)
    2 lbs lean beef, cut into 1" cubes
    2 med onions, sliced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 28oz can whole tomatoes, broken into pieces and undrained
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    2 small potatoes, chopped
    3 medium carrots, chopped

In large bowl, mix flour, paprika, salt and 1 tsp chili powder; add in beef and mix until well coated
    Place beef in crock pot and add garlic and veg.; pour in tomatoes and their juices; add remaining chili powder and red pepper flakes.

******Cover and cook on high for 8-10 hours.******

Makes 8 servings
    8-10 hours seems a little long for the high setting.

I just made stew the other day. Heat up some oil in the french oven. Brown some beef cubes lightly dusted in flour. Take them out once browned and then soften some veg in the remaining oil (carrots, potato, yam, turnip, celery, onion). Deglaze the pot with some red wine, scrape off the brown flavor bits on the bottom and add a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Top up the pot with some nice beef stock, throw in a bouquet (thyme, rosemary, parsley, bay leaves), and season with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Throw it in the oven at 300 for a couple of hours until the beef is nice and tender. Thicken it to your liking with a roux. Tastes even better warmed up the next day
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    8-10 hours seems a little long for the high setting.

I just made stew the other day. Heat up some oil in the french oven. Brown some beef cubes lightly dusted in flour. Take them out once browned and then soften some veg in the remaining oil (carrots, potato, yam, turnip, celery, onion). Deglaze the pot with some red wine, scrape off the brown flavor bits on the bottom and add a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Top up the pot with some nice beef stock, throw in a bouquet (thyme, rosemary, parsley, bay leaves), and season with salt, pepper and chili flakes. Throw it in the oven at 300 for a couple of hours until the beef is nice and tender. Thicken it to your liking with a roux. Tastes even better warmed up the next day
    Yumm sounds good and easy. One thing you said "Tastes even better warmed up the next day." Where is the line for local, fresh that day, not pre-made, all of those things people and restaurants are promoting these days. There are a number of foods that taste better after not only a few hours but days me thinks. Just confusing sometimes. cr****

I personally find that foods that were once considered "peasant" food that use less expensive ingredients and sit in a sauce tend to be the kind of dishes that taste better the next day. Stew, chili, cassoulet etc.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    I personally find that foods that were once considered "peasant" food that use less expensive ingredients and sit in a sauce tend to be the kind of dishes that taste better the next day. Stew, chili, cassoulet etc.

True but not always peasant.... nothing like a prime cut of beef, dry aged for weeks , yummy..... I used to be a vegan, yikes .... cr****

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Last I checked really nice cuts of beef are not inexpensive and do not sit in sauce and do not taste better the day after cooking.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    Last I checked really nice cuts of beef are not inexpensive and do not sit in sauce and do not taste better the day after cooking.

Agree but even the old cheap cuts of steak, skirt and flank seem to be not inexpensive (double negative ?) I consider any ribs to be a cheap cut.
    AMERICAN WAGYU DRY AGED RIB CHOP
    $141.75
    That's online price, yikes. It says "But it can feed TWO" .... cr****

At those prices, this sounds like a deal..... cr****

MARROW BONES (SPLIT) - (12 Per Pack)
    $35.00

4 inch center cut marrow bones split. Perfect for Roasted Marrow Bone" to accompany a great steak or roast. And don't forget to serve it with Fleur de Sel sea salt

Yeah you kind of went outside of what I was saying. Dry aging any cut of meat (outside of doing it yourself) will definitely put the price up by quite a bit.
    Last edited by Shaxspear; 01-07-2013 at 04:15 PM.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Who buys meat online?

Who buys meat online?

My sis who lives in Paso Robles buys steaks from the Omaha Steak Co online .....I shop Costco ... cr****

Why would she do that? The central coast is cow country, there are tons of excellent butchers.
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Seriously Ron. Costco? There are so many excellent butchers here in Colorado at a way cheaper price than Costco. You live in a fucking cow town.

The western stock show is here...... The Super Bowl of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    Why would she do that? The central coast is cow country, there are tons of excellent butchers.
    Ask her, cost is never an issue with her so who knows? I don't advise. And I don't go to local butchers because: a) I am cheap b) I think food is overrated and sometimes just a waste of time and money. Sleep runs a close 2nd. cr****

I like to buy from local vendors when at all possible... but shit gets pricey quickly.

In other news, making polenta for the first time tonight.

Polenta is really easy! And so nummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Sorry for the blurry pic, but this was my first attempt ever at making rack of lamb. I made it for Christmas dinner, only to find out that most of my family doesn't eat lamb. Out of 17 slices, only 5 were eaten.

Having only 5 of the 17 would not have been a problem. I would of had the remaining slices cold with red wine for breakfast.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Here it is about 100 in the morning and I think I want to do something with this bunch of Langostinos I have. Maybe a simple cocktail or maybe panko fried and dipped in butter ..... hummm .... cr****