Page 6 of 114 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cooking Thread

Coachella Junkie

Default Re: The Cooking Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I don't know that I would say it had a "a dry, crispy exterior, with a moist, succulent interior."
    I am curious why you cut it into such small pieces before cooking? I've only seen it cooked in large pieces (basically... only cut if needed in order to fit into the pot/pan). Also I'm not sure it's going to get "crispy" on the outside in a crock pot, everything turns a bit mushy in crock pots, but I'm sure it would still be good.

Quote Originally Posted by CuervoPH View Post
    Do you have a recipe or at least a cooking time and tips for doing the green chili pork in a crockpot? That sounds awesome. If not, I'll go with a pot roast today. I am feeling lazy. My idea of cooking today is throwing a bunch of ingredients into a crock pot and letting the crock pot do all the work.
    Green Chili Pork

I don't do mine in the crock pot, i do it on the stove, but its fairly easy. I am still in San Diego so I don't have the recipe in front of me but from memory it goes like this.

Sear the outside of the pork in a pan then put it in a large pot with onions, garlic, a bay leaf, coriander, salt and pepper.

Once it gets tender strain it saving 2-3 cups of the stock and shred the pork into the stock.

Peal about 10 tomatillos and put them in a pot of boiling water till they soften and change colors. Put the tomatillos in a blender with 2-3 serrano chilis and garlic. Blend it till it is liquid and pour in the meat/stock mixture. Simmer for 30 minutes and serve with tortillas and cheese/sour cream.

mmm im hungry
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Awesome! Thanks! I am going to try both this and the crockpot pozole recipe.

I'm trying something new today loca. I'll let you know how it goes.....I just put everything in the crock pot an hour ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    Private board meeting in the executive PAWffice this weekend. I'll have your coffee how you like it, beer instead of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    I am curious why you cut it into such small pieces before cooking? I've only seen it cooked in large pieces (basically... only cut if needed in order to fit into the pot/pan). Also I'm not sure it's going to get "crispy" on the outside in a crock pot, everything turns a bit mushy in crock pots, but I'm sure it would still be good.
    The carnitas isn't for a crockpot; you're cooking the pork in lard, not water. The whole point is to cook it until it browns and starts to get crispy.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by All Your Base View Post
    I'm trying something new today loca. I'll let you know how it goes.....I just put everything in the crock pot an hour ago.
    I am excited to hear how it turned out. I spent too much money this weekend so I need to come up with something I can cook in the crock pot and eat on for the next week.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    The carnitas isn't for a crockpot; you're cooking the pork in lard, not water. The whole point is to cook it until it browns and starts to get crispy.
    Ah, sorry, for some reason I'd read it to say that you were trying to make carnitas in a crock pot. At any rate, was the problem that it wasn't crispy, or that it wasn't as moist inside as you expected? Like I said, I've never seen carnitas cut into such small pieces to cook.

Tuna Cakes with Steamed Broccoli and Mutligrain Pilaf

Ingredients:

2 reg. sized cans of white tuna (or canned salmon)
    2 Eggs
    Breadcrumbs
    2-3 Mixed mini sweet bell peppers
    1 small onion
    Salt/Pepper/Crushed red peppers

This is super easy, cheap, tasty healthy, and simple to make.

Beat the 2 eggs in a large bowl

dice the mini bell peppers and onion, add to bowl.

Add the two cans of drained tuna

add some breadcrumbs + seasonings and stir together thoroughly.

Heat up your pan on 3/4 heat with some cooking spray and a couple teaspoons of olive oil.

form the tuna mix into small cakes (makes 4 cakes). once your pan is hot, add the tuna cakes and allow to brown (around 2-4 minutes). spray the upside of the cake, and flip. allow to brown.

i took some gyoza sauce and put it on top of the cakes before serving (this really makes them superb).

Steamed the broccoli and added salt, pepper, and a little parmesan.

Serves 2-3
    Cost: About $15

ENJOY
    Last edited by CalmerThanYou; 03-16-2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

This thread is amazing. As a full time grad student it's a bit difficult for me to cook at home during the week, but this thread (and a rather severe case of writer's block) has inspired me to dedicate some more time to cooking at home.

CalmerThanYou:
    Your recipes are awesome! I hope you keep contributing to this thread. I tried out the Pork Loin Cutlets with brown rice and steamed broccoli, though I substituted some steamed yellow squash instead. As you said, execution was pretty easy even for someone lacking in culinary talent like me. And I can second that favorable opinion on the Trader Joe's brown rice. They have both frozen and shelf-stable brown rice packets you can purchase. They both just get zapped in the microwave, though I found the frozen brown rice turned out better than the shelf-stable stuff.

So, my goal is to cook dinner at home twice this week, three times the following week and so on until I've cooked at least 5 days out of the week. I think my reasons - eating healthier and saving $ - are the same as most people looking to get started in kitchen.

Any website/cookbook recommendations for healthy recipes which are relatively easy to prepare? I especially love pan-Asian, Indian and Thai cuisine. Though American/Californian/Italian are enjoyed as well.

Thanks.

Where should I go out to eat tonight? Early 2nd anniversary dinner.

Central/South Orange County Area

Places of interest:
    Flemmings
    Houstins
    Blue Coral Seafood
    Cannons
    Mortons
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Cannons has a pretty romantic setting in Dana Point. Happy Anniversary!

I made this tonight for my family. It was REALLY good. The difference was that I used a crockpot and just took all the ingredients threw them in and added potatoes, carrots and green beans. I put it on high for 4 hours. MMMmnnnnmmmm!!!

Carbonnade: Beef and Beer Stew Recipe

You are trying to achieve a sweet and sour flavor with this stew. So, you can swap out the sugar for tomato paste and you can use cider vinegar instead of mustard if you want. You can also brown the meat in vegetable oil instead of butter, though it will be more flavorful with the butter. You can also use a couple slices of bread, instead of adding flour, to thicken the stew.

INGREDIENTS
    3 1/2 lbs chuck roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    4 Tbsp butter
    3 medium yellow onions sliced about 1/4 inch thick (about 8 cups)
    3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups chicken or beef broth
    1 1/2 cups (12 oz bottle) Belgian beer
    4 sprigs fresh thyme
    2 bay leaves
    1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
    1 Tbsp brown sugar

METHOD

1 Pat beef dry with paper towels, then season well with salt and pepper. On the stove top, heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large heavy bottomed dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot, almost smoking. Working in batches, brown the meat, without stirring, about 3 minutes on each side (do not stir, give the meat an opportunity to brown well). Transfer browned beef to a separate bowl.

2 Add 2 tablespoons butter to dutch oven; reduce heat to medium. Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt; cook until onions are browned, about 15 minutes. Add flour and stir until onions are evenly coated and flour is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping pan bottom to loosen browned bits; stir in beer, thyme, bay, browned beef with any of the accumulated juices, and salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a full simmer. Reduce heat to low, partially cover, let cook for 2-3 hours until beef is fork tender. (Alternatively can cook in the oven at 300F.) Stir occasionally, scraping up anything that is sticking to the bottom of the pan. About half an hour before it finishes cooking, add the mustard and brown sugar. Adjust seasonings to taste.

3 Discard thyme and bay leaf. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste and serve. Can serve plain, with potatoes, over noodles, or over French fries.
    Serves 6.

Whatever ale you have used in the cooking makes for a great drink accompaniment to the stew.

Okie Dokie, another recipe for you little bobo's

Turkey Taco Salad

This one is super simple, really healthy, and super cheap.

Ingredients:

1 package of lean ground turkey meat
    1 bag of spinach
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    shredded 3 cheese mix
    canned corn (not creamed)
    canned black beans
    1-2 avacadoes
    Diced onions
    Low Fat Cilantro Dressing from Trader Joes
    Salsa

SUPER FUCKING EASY WARNING!!!!

Simply cook the ground turkey meat in a pan over the stove on medium. Once it's cooked mix in the seasoning and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Dice up the onion and avacado

Throw your spinach in the bowl with all of the other ingredients, top with the ground turkey, and BOOM STICKS. You're done.

Serves 2-3
    Cost: About $15 (if)

ENJOY
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

FRIED POPCICLES

^ lmao
    Rhythm is a dancer.

i made bowtie pasta with sun dried tomatoe alfredo sauce and grilled chicken. im stuffed now. too many carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CalmerThanYou View Post
    Okie Dokie, another recipe for you little bobo's

Turkey Taco Salad

This one is super simple, really healthy, and super cheap.

Ingredients:

1 package of lean ground turkey meat
    1 bag of spinach
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    shredded 3 cheese mix
    canned corn (not creamed)
    canned black beans
    1-2 avacadoes
    Diced onions
    Low Fat Cilantro Dressing from Trader Joes
    Salsa

SUPER FUCKING EASY WARNING!!!!

Simply cook the ground turkey meat in a pan over the stove on medium. Once it's cooked mix in the seasoning and let simmer for 5 minutes.

Dice up the onion and avacado

Throw your spinach in the bowl with all of the other ingredients, top with the ground turkey, and BOOM STICKS. You're done.

Serves 2-3
    Cost: About $15 (if)

ENJOY

That looks pretty damm good.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

This is the most blasphemous thing I have ever seen. That is not the way to cook scrambled eggs.

Whisk first, then in a pre-heated hot pan, stir until parts are cooked and parts are still runny, and then straight out onto a plate. No creme fraiche nonsense. And dude used like half a cup of butter for three eggs, gross.
    Last edited by Courtney; 04-06-2009 at 08:28 PM.

I always use either cream, creme fraiche or sour cream in my scrambled eggs.

Try it, it will change your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Young blood View Post
    Stop being a pussy should be the answer to all of life's problems. It has worked for me so far.

OK, it's BBQ season (primarily because I finally got around to cleaning the grill) and my wife and I primarily cook on the grill most of the time now.

I want to learn a good sauce or two that are quick and easy to serve with Pork or Chicken. Any suggestions for something quick and easy? Usually I just dry-rub or season the meat and it tuns out just fine. I'd be nice however to have a light sauce to serve with.

Chimichurri is so good for summer grilling. Just get a bunch of cilantro, a bunch of parsley, a couple garlic cloves, good quality olive oil, some wine vinegar and a dash of salt, and put it all into a food processor until you have a topping that's salsa-like consistency.

Edit: here is a more specific recipe.
    Last edited by Courtney; 04-07-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Yea, that's what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post

This is the most blasphemous thing I have ever seen. That is not the way to cook scrambled eggs.

Whisk first, then in a pre-heated hot pan, stir until parts are cooked and parts are still runny, and then straight out onto a plate. No creme fraiche nonsense. And dude used like half a cup of butter for three eggs, gross.
    I just made scrambled eggs and basically went like that and wow, my eyes have been opened.

I didn't use quite that much butter, I didn't use any creme fraiche and I don't have any chives so I left that out but I can see using at least the chives and I might consider a little creme fraiche - especially if I had a heavy pot like that dude had.

But, yeah, I mixed the butter and the eggs in the pan over heat and did the on/off the heat thing mixing constantly. I usually like my scrambled eggs dry... but with this method I was happy with them still glistening because they were uniform.

My bread wasn't as good as his but even the toast I had was a great solid, crunchy contrast for the light, creamy eggs.

I didn't have tomatoes or those mushrooms (though that would be good too) so I had the eggs and toast with some fresh blackberries. Mmm. Very good breakfast.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Want something really tasty and done in literally 10 minutes?

1 package of perogies
    I kielbasa
    some peppers and onions

saute the perogies in a little olive oil for 10 minutes.
    in another pan, saute the kielbasa and onions/peppers for 10 minutes.

Put them together on your plate with a little sour cream. Damn this is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    Private board meeting in the executive PAWffice this weekend. I'll have your coffee how you like it, beer instead of coffee.

Help please?

I have been tasked to bring an Indian-themed appetizer to a party tomorrow. And it needs to be either fish or vegetarian. Suggestions?

If worst comes to worst, I am planning on calling in a couple orders of veggie samosas for delivery from our local Indian restaurant and putting them on a big platter and pretending I made them. Although I'm not sure who would believe me.

Appetizer like first course to a sit-down meal, or appetizer like finger food to eat while people stand around and talk before dinner?
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Also, the recipe database on foodandwine.com is really good. I just found 28 recipes for Indian appetizers. You might need to be a subscriber to access it though.

edit: or maybe you don't, I just realized I wasn't logged into the site but was still able to access the recipe database.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

Oh fabulous thanks Tom. epicurious.com is my go-to recipe database, but I was unsatisfied with its Indian options. I will try Food and Wine.

And I don't know if it's sit down or cocktail finger food. Not specified. I suppose it could be either depending on which I prefer -- I think it's going to be a fairly casual affair.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

So I'm in love with foodgawker.com and have already bookmarked approximately a gajillion recipes to try out if I ever stop being lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

For Indian appetizers you can't go wrong with samosas as you said. Other good ideas:

Aloo Tikki - spicy potato patties usually served with chutneys.

Vegetable/Potato Pakoras - delicate, crispy fried appetizers. Think of them as the Indian bird's nest or Indian version of tempura.

Pani Puri is delicious and a lot of fun, but might be a bit unusual for the other guests. It consists of crispy light puffs of dough (which can be bought pre-made at Indian stores). You prepare a spiced potato stuffing. You also prepare a water mixture with garam masala, corianda, cumin and other flavorings. I say water mixture because it literally is as thin as water. (Pani means literally water.) Your guests then pick up the little bite size dough puffs (the Puri) and crack the tops of the puffs open, stuff it with the spiced potato mix and then dip the entire poori in the pani mixture. It's so delicious and totally party food, but obviously a bit more complex than a tray of samosas. Also, most Indian stores will sell Pani Puri mixes which you can just blend with water to create the puri mix.

Don't know where you're located, but if you have any Indian grocery stores/spice bazaars nearby you should visit one. You'll be able to find more authentic spices, masalas, and flavorings that can also help you cut a few corners on whatever appetizer you end up making.