Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pros and cons of your city

Default Pros and cons of your city

Self explanatory...

What city do you live in? What are the pros and cons of living there?

Default Re: Pros and cons of your city

I dig it.

I don't live in a city. I live close to the town of Bishop, CA, which is pretty close to Mammoth Mountain and Yosemite.

Pros:
    -It's close to Mammoth, Yosemite, Mono Lake, Death Valley, Mount Whitney, Tahoe. You like wilderness, we've got it.
    -We're very much a community-focused small town. While we have some fast food and a Rite-Aid, Vons, K-Mart and Ace Hardware, the town vigorously supports its local businesses.
    -We have two fantastic breweries nearby in Mammoth Brewing and June Lake Brewery. Bishop's brewery is open and just about to debut their beers.
    -Skiing! Fishing! Backpacking! Rock Climbing! We have the best California has to offer in terms of diverse wilderness experiences. Our area is the gateway to both Death Valley (the lowest point in the US) and Mount Whitney (the highest peak in the contiguous US) so you get a wide range of diversity.
    -Community. Everyone knows everyone here.

Cons
    -Everyone knows everyone. It's a small town and with it comes small town gossip. I live 15 miles outside of Bishop and avoid much of that, but it's still pervasive.
    -Access to diversity. We have some good restaurants and decent local businesses, but there isn't anything like the breadth of options I'd grown used to in Los Angeles. Granted, I grew up here, so I'm acclimated to the small-town lack of options, but it's definitely a minus. However, the local grocer has increasingly focused on interesting local produce, stocking locally raised and butchered meat and sourcing a wide variety of international spices and ingredients. They also added a big beer cooler, so things are getting better.
    -Remoteness. I live 60 miles from Fresno, and it would take me 8 hours to get there. There are two huge mountain ranges surrounding my area, and the only way to get out is to either drive around them (south to LA and/or Bakersfield, North...Reno and then nothing) or to go through them, which is a challenge during any decent winter. Added to that, I live in a little community 15 miles away from the closest town, so the remoteness is doubled. Our internet speeds are slow, we don't have the option of cable, there is no garbage service, the mail delivery is spotty and unreliable and power can go out during any major storm, for hours on end. That said, the remoteness, while frustrating at times, is one of the main selling points. It's what keeps our wilderness so relatively pristine and what keeps our weird little town so weird and unique.

Edit: and here's a photo from my balcony a few days ago, just before the first big storm came through and painted Mount Tom white:

Last edited by bmack86; 12-08-2014 at 12:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Erick Schat's Bakker˙ is one of my happy thoughts.

Emily, you should go next.

After that, I'd like to hear The Unit300021 Tenderloin Confessions.

Was that big pine in the second post? I go fishing up there on my way to Bridgeport every summer.

I live in Dallas, Texas.

Pros:
    -Cheap to live here, housing wise.
    -Literally millions of places to eat, anywhere, all the time. Get fat quick!
    -Fairly strong underground and cultural base.
    -All kinds of people and neighborhoods - hipster, gay, white flight, pretty much everything. Lots of distinct areas if you want to be on a lake, downtown, etc.
    -Good looking women everywhere. Not far off from Los Angeles.
    -Great options for late night parties and drinking events.
    -A couple good local options for shows.
    -Not far from Austin, where the hip shows are. Also close enough to Oklahoma and Shreveport, Houston, etc.
    -Lots of jobs. If you want to work, Dallas is a good place to do that. It's tough to be unemployed here. Strong tech and medical town.
    -Growing number of hipster markets and such.

Cons:
    -Not Austin, so most shows are a 3-hour drive.
    -Lots of cowboy boots, everywhere. Learn to boot scoot or you lose half the dating pool.
    -Driving anywhere sucks always. Almost to a Los Angeles level. Drivers are complete assholes.
    -Tollways like crazy. Want to go anywhere - you're paying a few extra bucks. Dumb.
    -People here think Texas is the best thing to anyone ever always.
    -DFW airport is absolutely horrific.
    -Too much food, too many drinks. Easy to get fat if you don't work out!

I live in Phoenix.

Pros:
    - The cost of living is pretty reasonable. You can still buy a pretty decent house for 150k.
    - The weather is awesome 8 months out of the year. Even the summers are livable because everything is air conditioned.
    - We don't have snow, sleet, black ice, hurricanes, earthquakes or tornados.
    - The city is built on a grid. I am directionally challenged and rarely get lost. If I do I just look for south mountain and can find my way home.
    - You can hop in your car and drive 5 hours or less and end up at a beach, on a mountain, in the woods or gambling in Vegas.

Cons:
    - Sheriff Joe and the rest of the horrible people running this city.
    - Days over 110 degrees.
    - Occasionally in the summer a dust storm will float through (aka Haboob) and if you breath the air you can end up with Valley Fever.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I have snuck in weapons before
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Palm Springs:

Pros:
    Close to Coachella.
    Amazing Winters.
    Driving Distance to SD and LA.
    Amazing scenery.
    Great place to live if you're retired or gay (a win if you're both).

Cons:
    Food is terrible.
    Service in most places is terrible.
    Snow Birds are awful
    People that live year round are awful.
    Not really much to do around here (unless you're gay or retired).
    Hotter then hell in the summer and summer lasts from May to Nov.
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 12-08-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by locachica73 View Post
    I live in Phoenix.

Pros:
    - The cost of living is pretty reasonable. You can still buy a pretty decent house for 150k.
    - The weather is awesome 8 months out of the year. Even the summers are livable because everything is air conditioned.
    - We don't have snow, sleet, black ice, hurricanes, earthquakes or tornados.
    - The city is built on a grid. I am directionally challenged and rarely get lost. If I do I just look for south mountain and can find my way home.
    - You can hop in your car and drive 5 hours or less and end up at a beach, on a mountain, in the woods or gambling in Vegas.

Cons:
    - Sheriff Joe and the rest of the horrible people running this city.
    - Days over 110 degrees.
    - Occasionally in the summer a dust storm will float through (aka Haboob) and if you breath the air you can end up with Valley Fever.
    To expand on this slightly -

Pros:
    Quality of life is pretty high. I spend more time enjoying life than fighting with traffic.
    People are fairly genuine, friendly, and down to earth. Then again, I'm originally from LA.
    The desert after a rain is phenomenal. Monsoons, while irritating at times b/c of aforementioned haboobs, are fantastic weather events.
    I love our airport, and the city is generally clean. Many places to bike, although not completely a bike friendly city.
    Parking is often times free. Not the constant cash grab that LA makes you feel. $20 event parking? GTFO, not here.
    Large city with a super small feel. It's fairly easy to make a name for yourself here. Lots of opportunity for entrepreneurs.

Cons:
    The arts, music, theater, etc. is abysmal. Music scene is picking up a little but cultural events are underfunded, more so than other cities.
    The food scene - getting better but lots of chain restaurants. People go apeshit for cheap ersatz versions of restaurants that have been in other cities for years.
    Mexican food - sadly terrible. I don't understand why being we're in such close proximity to Sonora, MX, but compared to LA/San Diego/TX we're victims of bad food. I blame the transplants from the Midwest for happily gobbling up pollo fundido and other cream cheese delicacies and tacos con pinche lechuga y queso cheddar.
    Asian/chinese food - I miss good Chinese food. No Monterey Park/Alhambra here. A few decent Vietnamese places. Gringo ramen.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Besides the Airport, but even then I was randomly searched and had an old guy grab my crotch, Phoenix is the worst city I've ever lived in.

Albuquerque, NM

Pros:
    Green chile, which is not to be confused with green sauce
    Have a taste of all 4 seasons, but not really the extremes of any of them
    Get two wishes per year from St. Albuquerque
    You're never more than 10 minutes from the middle of nowhere
    Just got a Dave & Buster's
    Blake's Lotaburger

Cons:
    Might get shot if you look at another car at a stop light
    Might get shot if you make eye contact with another person anywhere
    Kottonmouth Kings only play here 3 times per year
    Might get shot while attending a Kottonmouth Kings show
    High probability of getting lung cancer and being forced to start producing meth to pay for treatment/security of family after death

Calgary.
    Cons:
    Horribly cold and snowy for 8 months of the year.
    Very expensive to rent or buy property. Overall cost of living high.
    Extremely fast growth has caused infrastructure and transit issues. Slow to get around and lack of highly accessible public transportation.
    Lack of affordable housing due to population boom. Lots of work but nowhere for people to live. High population of working poor and recently, working homeless.
    Calgary Stampede.
    Weather woes ranging from snowstorms, floods, hail, tornados. We get it all.

Pros.
    Unbelievably strong economy and lots of jobs. Wages are higher here.
    Very safe. Low crime for a city our size.
    Fun, friendly helpful people live here - Volunteerism is very high. We truly help our neighbours here.
    Great food and restaurant culture.
    1 hour from some of the world's best skiing - mountain views from in town. Great nature and outdoor scenery. If you love winter sports this is the place to live.
    Our mayor is awesome and is a finalist for the World's most loved/best Mayor competition.
    Calgary Stampede.
    Summer is nice and hot- but not humid. Our skies are the bluest you can find anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

San Jose, CA

pros

great weather, best in the country (just this past weekend hosted a bday party on a cliff overlooking the ocean, sunny and 75ish!)
    cultural diversity
    arena hosts big tours and NHL
    brand new MLS stadium and NFL stadium
    40 min from coast door-to-door
    amazing Santa Cruz mountains
    proximity to SF, Big Sur, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Napa...all within an hour or so
    lots of great smaller towns nearby i.e. Saratoga, Los Gatos, Palo Alto, etc.
    traffic not too bad considering number of people
    loads of events, shows and concerts minutes away
    great food from all corners of the planet

cons

cost of living
    gang bullshit
    growing homelessness
    and
    drought
    tweakers
    Last edited by breathewithme; 12-08-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Anchorage, AK

Pros: get a yearly PFD check from the government.

Cons: everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

You only get that if you own and develop on that property,right?
    Translation

Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by breathewithme View Post
    San Jose, CA
    My best friend and his wife live there and I visit about every year. I have thought about moving out there, but like you said, cost of living is high. Also, I'd be far away from my family.

Columbia, MO

Pros:

College town, home to the SEC East Champion Mizzou Tigers!
    Right between Kansas City and St. Louis - it's a 2-hour drive either way (this is good when bands hit one city but not the other)
    Cost of living is affordable
    Good # of parks and trails for exercising
    Nice downtown with a couple of good venues - we occasionally get good shows, this year we've gotten Danny Brown, Tegan and Sara, The Hold Steady, Conor Oberst, Foster the People, Jenny Lewis, etc.
    We have a couple of festivals every year - there's the True/False documentary film fest, which brings in filmmakers from all over the world, and the Roots 'N Blues 'N BBQ which is a BBQ competition and live music, this past year we had the Avett Brothers, John Prine, Rosanna Cash and several other bands.
    Good restaurants - Shakespeare's Pizza won the Good Morning America “Best Bites Challenge: College Edition” this past year.

Cons:

No big airport - gotta drive to KC or STL to fly anywhere
    We get all the seasons, since we're in the Midwest humidity is high so summer is sometimes rough, we also get hail, tornadoes (I've never had one land near me), flooding (only in certain areas)
    The usual crime bullshit
    Apartment buildings being put up downtown to make way for more college kids
    Last edited by zircona1; 12-08-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    You only get that if you own and develop on that property,right?
    Nope. Year of residency, that's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Quote Originally Posted by Corona89 View Post
    Was that big pine in the second post? I go fishing up there on my way to Bridgeport every summer.
    Nope, the photo is from my place, which in a very little community 15 miles north of Bishop called Paradise. We're to the left when you head up the big hill between Bishop and Mammoth.

If you ever want to meet up for a beer while on you way north for a fishing trip, lemme know. As Algunz will tell you, I'm frequently busy and may not be able to pull it off on short notice, but I always like meeting board people who come to the area. Also, if you haven't tried J's on the Corner in Bridgeport, that's a must for your next trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

i live in brooklyn, new york city

pros

its brooklyn, new york city

cons

its brooklyn, new york city

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    Mexican food - sadly terrible. I don't understand why being we're in such close proximity to Sonora, MX, but compared to LA/San Diego/TX
    Huh, I recall having some good Mexican in PHX. Tucson definitely has several great places. Also, Tex-Mex? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

East Palo Alto
    Pro:
    - 1.7 mile enjoyably scenic walk to downtown Palo Alto which has a variety of good restaurants, one decent pub, and a caltrain stop (there's also a free shuttle to downtown and caltrain that picks up on my corner but I've never used it)
    - Rent Control Regulated City
    - Not gonna complain about a two minute walk to Three Brothers Tacos and a 24 hour 7-11
    - 31 miles to San Francisco, 33 miles to downtown Oakland, 28.6 miles to Half Moon Bay, 40ish miles to Santa Cruz, 20-40 miles away from any variety of scenic state parks/open reserves/redwood trees/hills/mountains

CONS
    - occupancy rate in my immediate area is in the high 90 percentile with limited street parking supply and the wealthy jerks in the Crescent Park neighborhood right across the bridge balked at the idea of the browns/poors parking their cars in front of their houses and chose to elect a permit parking program where all cars have to have a permit to park from 2-5 AM every day so I end up having to park the car I use 0.6 miles away
    - Weekday rush hour traffic prohibits me from realistically getting into San Francisco or Oakland until about 8 pm but all of my friends that live in those cities still always suggest I meet them for dinner at 6:30-7:00
    - Anyone who has seen Dangerous Minds asks me if I feel 'safe' living here

12/31: Derek Plaslaiko, Dave Aju @ f8
    1/8: Tamaryn @ The Chapel
    1/28: Beacon @ The Rickshaw Stop
    1/29: Ty Segall, Wand, Cold Beat @ GAMH
    2/7: Robag Whrume, Daniel Bell, Sassmouth, The Black Madonna @ Public Works
    2/14: Sparks @ Ace Theater Hollywood

East Palo Alto

PROS
    - 1.7 mile enjoyably scenic walk to downtown Palo Alto which has a variety of good restaurants, one decent pub, and a caltrain stop (there's also a free shuttle to downtown and caltrain that picks up on my corner but I've never used it)
    - Rent Control Regulated City
    - Not gonna complain about a two minute walk to Three Brothers Tacos and a 24 hour 7-11
    - 31 miles to San Francisco, 33 miles to downtown Oakland, 28.6 miles to Half Moon Bay, 40ish miles to Santa Cruz, 20-40 miles away from any variety of scenic state parks/open reserves/redwood trees/hills/mountains

CONS
    - occupancy rate in my immediate area is in the high 90 percentile with limited street parking supply and the wealthy jerks in the Crescent Park neighborhood right across the bridge balked at the idea of the browns/poors parking their cars in front of their houses and chose to elect a permit parking program where all cars have to have a permit to park from 2-5 AM every day so I end up having to park the car I use 0.6 miles away which is annoying. I do get to see a full view of the lovely houses on the walk though, as none are obstructed by obscene cars.
    - Weekday rush hour traffic prohibits me from realistically getting into San Francisco or Oakland until about 8 pm but all of my friends that live in those cities still always suggest I meet them for dinner at 6:30-7:00
    - Anyone who has seen Dangerous Minds asks me if I feel 'safe' living here
    Last edited by guedita; 12-09-2014 at 10:50 PM.

La Quinta, CA

PROS:
    - I truly think from November-March is some of the best weather on the planet. I honestly can't imagine a better climate anywhere. Breezy, sunny days and cold desert nights are amazing.
    - I live about five minutes from the Polo fields, 40 minutes from Pappy and Harriet's (one of my favorite places ever) and Joshua Tree, just 2 hours from LA and 2 hours from the beach.
    - Desert rain. Though it rarely happens, there's nothing better.
    - A fairly relaxed place. I love visiting big cities but I'm always glad to return home and actually take a breath.
    - The desert's art/music/night life/food scene has actually gotten way better for young people in the past couple of years.
    - Desert sunsets and sunrises.

CONS:
    - This valley is obviously tailored to retired old people. There isn't shit to do really besides a million golf courses.
    - The summers are absolutely horrible and you can't even go outside.
    - While our one freeway is fine, in the winter, the city streets actually have the worst traffic and congestion I've ever seen. "Snowbirds" drive extremely slow and I swear it's only Canadians here right now.
    - Rancho Mirage. That place fucking sucks. Pure rich and racist Republicans that are all so smug.
    - Bros and tweakers.
    - Dudes in fedora hats from LA that come here for a vacation but "ew, no, I would never actually live out here"

All in all I appreciate this place a lot more now than I did when I was younger.

1/29 Patti Smith @ Theatre At The Ace Hotel
    2/12 Babes In Toyland @ The Roxy
    5/1 Sleater-Kinney @ The Palladium

I honestly do not know what to make of the fact that not only do a lot of people in the United States live in areas where going outside is an impossibility for 1-4 months out of the year, most of them present this fact as a mere inconvenience.
    Last edited by guedita; 12-09-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Corona, CA

Pros:
    Pretty close to LA
    Cheaper to live than a lot of other places in SoCal
    Hometown of the only fast food worth eating; Miguel's Jr
    Pretty nice upper class area
    Some neat history behind it
    Tom's Farms is one of the best places ever

Cons:
    Pretty much any piece of open land nowadays has an apartment complex or restaurant built on it
    Too many people
    Too many rude people
    Too fucking hot most of the year
    Horrible traffic
    Burglary is rampant - at least in my area
    Lower class area is unbelievably trashy
    Too many industrial sites
    I'm not sure how big this is in the town as a whole but my neighborhood + the ones I'm close to have a lot of loud and obnoxious drug addicts in it

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Nope, the photo is from my place, which in a very little community 15 miles north of Bishop called Paradise. We're to the left when you head up the big hill between Bishop and Mammoth.

If you ever want to meet up for a beer while on you way north for a fishing trip, lemme know. As Algunz will tell you, I'm frequently busy and may not be able to pull it off on short notice, but I always like meeting board people who come to the area. Also, if you haven't tried J's on the Corner in Bridgeport, that's a must for your next trip.
    Not sure ive been to js. I usually end up at rhinos lol. Will do though, thanks.

Long Beach, CA

Pros:
    Relatively close to Los Angeles, Orange County, and San Diego
    Has nearly every major chain store and restaurant within close range.
    Lots of good little mom and pop stores and restaurants as well.
    Bars - 2nd Street for the fratty college people, 4th street for the laid back hipsters, Broadway for the gays
    Housing is cheaper compared to a lot of other cities.
    Warm weather
    Good schools
    Belmont Shores
    Diversity of people and music scene.

Cons:
    Traffic on the roads and freeways
    Lots of homeless and strange people that walk around
    Crime and violence in certain areas
    Dirty beach and not great air quality
    Parking is a bitch on certain streets, along with Thurs/Fri street sweeping
    Constant road construction

Long beach is pretty fun. One of my buddies lives right between second street and the beach. Everytime I go out there I end up feeling like shit the next day and having spent way too much money.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    East Palo Alto

PROS
    you forget to mention that you're basically two minutes away from shoreline amphitheater in mt view, legendary bay area outdoor concert venue. seriously though, despite it's sucky characteristics, I've seen a ton of bands there including, all those incredible early live 105 BFD line-ups (later ones too but those early line-ups were the best, relaxing all day on the lawn for $10.50) and, new order & moby, depeche mode, omd, inxs, scorpions, alice cooper, green day in the parking lot, sting, blink 182, black sabbath, pearl jam, front row for foo fighters, courtney love, oasis, qotsa, social d., aerosmith & kiss, chris cornell and linkin park, snuck up front for encore 'it's the end of the world as we know it' rem twice!...even jimmy buffet with some parrothead friends...several of neil youngs' bridge school benefits with everyone from incubus to sarah mclachlan,
    so its easy to write that place off but they've had some great shows over the years and, foo fighters are booked there for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Huh, I recall having some good Mexican in PHX. Tucson definitely has several great places. Also, Tex-Mex? Really?
    Yeah, Tucson has several more places than Phoenix. And no, not tex-mex silly.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove