Page 1 of 13 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wtf is so amazing about the Smiths...

old school

Default Wtf is so amazing about the Smiths...

Ok folks, I have been reading all this hype about the Smiths and I watched videos of them on youtube and I dont see how they are so fancy.... Can someone tell me some good songs or something so i can kinda be happy if they play.
    Dont hurt me

Default Re: Wtf is so amazing about the Smiths...

Go to the "Best of" thread in the music lounge, and find the Smiths top ten. You should be good if you download Meat is Murder or their self-titled album also.

i would like to see the smiths about as much as id like to hole, jack johnson or no doubt. just sayin...

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    Go to the "Best of" thread in the music lounge, and find the Smiths top ten. You should be good if you download Meat is Murder or their self-titled album also.
    I cant find the thread.. can you link it please =D

Your mom likes the Smiths
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    GV doesn't care. We shouldn't either.

They are one of the most influential bands in music history. If you would have had the chance to see them live in the mid 80s, you would understand. They were a classic singles band, in that they would release 12' singles on a very regular basis, and you couldn't find a bad song on them. The amount of material they released over the short five years they were together is not only astounding, it is so for the fact that they did it on such a consistant basis.

I don't even care about them playing live at Coachella. I have seen Morrissey many times over the years, and his band plays the Smith music at times better than Marr and the original band. In fact, I would rather they didn't play again.

I remember an add a few years ago that went something like this; "Imagine you are U2, Bruce Springsteen, or any other 1980s band, and acknowledge that you and your music weren't a patch on the ass of the Smiths.

Check out: All of it.

There were many better bands in the 80's. New Order being one.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesc2929 View Post
    Imagine you are U2, Bruce Springsteen, or any other 1980s band, and acknowledge that you and your music weren't a patch on the ass of the Smiths.
    Wow, I know you are referencing an old quote, but that is a ridiculously retarded statement.

New Order, Pixies, U2, Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins = all better 80's bands/music than the Smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    New Order, Pixies, U2, Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins = all better 80's bands/music than the Smiths.
    Better by your standards. Just as some people will say Ratt was a better 80s band than the Smiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    Better by your standards. Just as some people will say Ratt was a better 80s band than the Smiths.
    I work with one of those idiots. At least the Smiths have How Soon Is Now...

I enjoy How Soon Is Now, but that's about it.

I'll agree about Pixies and U2. As much as I love New Order though, I love The Smiths more.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

FINALLY SOMEONE HAS SAID IT!!!!!!!

I have been wondering the same thing too all these years. Can someone tell me or lead me to some songs other than "How Soon is Now" and "Girlfriend in a Coma" worth listening to because I really don't see what is so great about them either. - -*edit* never mind that last part. but seriously don't they just grate on your brain a bit after listening to them for too long.

Sleepingrock may be a Noob but he is a welcome addition to the boards.
    Last edited by shotglass75; 01-11-2009 at 08:18 PM.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

I grew up on all those 80's bands and the Smiths were great. Very original. They still were nowhere near as good as the Jesus and Mary Chain. I came down in 07 to see them but I'm not sure a Smiths reunion would be enough to make me fly down. Now if GV got Husker Du back together....

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    FINALLY SOMEONE HAS SAID IT!!!!!!!

I have been wondering the same thing too all these years. Can someone tell me or lead me to some songs other than "How Soon is Now" and "Girlfriend in a Coma" worth listening to because I really don't see what is so great about them either.

Sleepingrock may be a Noob but he is a welcome addition to the boards.
    I would never have recommended "Girlfriend in a Coma" and "How Soon is Now" is not a good song to recommend either seeing as how everybody's already heard it.

I would have people listen to singles such as "This Charming Man", "William, It Was Really Nothing", "Panic", "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want", "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", "Ask", "Bigmouth Strikes Again", "There is a Light that Never Goes Out", and especially "The Boy with the Thorn on His Side."
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

New Order, Pixies, U2, ok argument strong so far... Bauhaus... I guess when I've had a few. And Cocteau Twins?!?!? WTF?????
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    GV doesn't care. We shouldn't either.

Quote Originally Posted by killsunshine View Post
    i would like to see the smiths about as much as id like to hole, jack johnson or no doubt. just sayin...
    seriously!

ITS ABOUT TIME SOMEONE ELSE SAID THIS !!!

the only good thing i heard the smiths are good for is drinking and being fucking depressed

zzzzz

its basically the birth of EMO crap

ALL THAT DARK MELONCHOLY(SP?) BULLSHIT

BUT...

I wouldn't mind seeing GWEN STEFANI

GET NAKED.

If you're looking for the birth of Emo look no further than Sunny Day Real Estate and the Cure.

If you're looking for the birth of Indie music as we know it, check out the Smiths.

That is all.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Amaretto View Post
    New Order, Pixies, U2, ok argument strong so far... Bauhaus... I guess when I've had a few. And Cocteau Twins?!?!? WTF?????
    I'd kill to see the Cocteau Twins. Them dropping off the 2005 lineup is like in my top 5 things of all time that piss me off and leave a sour taste...

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I would never have recommended "Girlfriend in a Coma" and "How Soon is Now" is not a good song to recommend either seeing as how everybody's already heard it.

I would have people listen to singles such as "This Charming Man", "William, It Was Really Nothing", "Panic", "Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want", "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", "Ask", "Bigmouth Strikes Again", "There is a Light that Never Goes Out", and especially "The Boy with the Thorn on His Side."
    I'd like to add "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others."

I love these threads about people looking to be convinced about a certain artist...if you don't like it, that's the way it is I guess

personally, i feel that you are missing out on something wonderful if you don't like the Smiths, but I can't talk anyone into it
    '99-'11...

Quote Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
    I love these threads about people looking to be convinced about a certain artist...if you don't like it, that's the way it is I guess

personally, i feel that you are missing out on something wonderful if you don't like the Smiths, but I can't talk anyone into it
    Well right...it's all opinion when it comes to "liking" and wanting to listen to a band....I could sit here and tell people they're missing out if they refuse to listen to Nirvana, or BoC, or Godspeed You! Black Emperor, etc....it's all subjective, so it really is pointless for someone to try and convince someone else to like/hate a certain band. It's all subjective. I personally just can't get into them.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    If you're looking for the birth of Emo look no further than Sunny Day Real Estate and the Cure.

If you're looking for the birth of Indie music as we know it, check out the Smiths.

That is all.
    birth of indie music?

what the fuck is indie music?

MADONNA? JACK JOHNSON? NO DOUBT? The Roots? tHE SMITHS?

SERIOUSLY? what is indie music?

anyways...

i agree about the cure and the MANY other 80's bands but the Smiths were a little more darker than the Cure. Certain subjective lyrics are more graphic but does not insist on the audience to suggest to take it as a form of violence or harm, but more of a story(fiction).

as for the Smiths, some of it seems like a bad HEROIN TRIP, and not that I would know anything about Heroin, nor have tried it(thats for damn sure).
    I guess I just have a hard time with people swearing that certain artists are like the pillars of society, and brainwash the rest of their friends in thinking the same way.

The smiths remind me of Norah Jones.

Both Amazingly....

Successful

and OVER "FUCKING" RATED

I love that you're trying to get me riled up by insinuating that Madonna or Jack Johnson could constitute indie music.

Look, the Smiths were initially signed to Rough Trade, a UK record label with no ties to any major UK record label (akin to Factory Records which produced acts like Joy Division and Happy Mondays), and yes, they did eventually sell out and sign to EMI, but basically they did things from the ground up. Like james above said, their output during their short-lived career was astounding, especially given the level of support and promoting that Rough Trade provided Morrissey and company during their tenure (little-to-none).

That's what indie music is, to me at least (as all genres of music are subjective); basic guitar-oriented or driven rock (but not hard rock or metal) music that comes from groups who aren't manufactured by the recording industry in order to sell records but, rather, have naturally developed their own sound outside of the borders of popular music (which isn't to say that they don't ever end up writing pop music, quite the opposite). The Smiths were one of the first bands to make that an art form (or at least prove that bands from similar backgrounds could succeed both commercially AND critically).

As for who's darker, the Cure or the Smiths, I think that both bands have their dark spots ("Asleep" is very much a straight-forward suicide anthem, "Disintegration" is the perfect tormented, dark break up song) and an often unsung lightness ("The Lovecats", "Frankly, Mr. Shankly", "Cemetry Gates", "Friday, I'm in Love", etc.).

But yeah, you really don't know shit about the Smiths, much like you don't know shit about Heroin.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post

But yeah, you really don't know shit about the Smiths, much like you don't know shit about Heroin.
    I know plenty about both, and the Smiths >heroin ...easy
    '99-'11...

Endearingly Dislikable RotationSlimWang's Avatar

The Smiths are like Norah Jones? Seriously? You couldn't think of another act in the whole world that would make a better analogy for your point than Norah Jones?

And heroin is way, way, way better than The Smiths. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    Hannah, I don't know that pigs have big weiners, and my early 20's facination with dogs because of weiner size, I think. If that helps.

I've always been fascinated by things like music tastes.

I love music, but there are just certain bands that I don't understand, like Nirvana or The Rolling Stones. I've tried to listen to their music with an open mind and it just never 'clicked' I guess. Like I have friends that don't like Radiohead and it baffles me...

Anyway, I guess it is what makes individuals. Sorry to get all deep.

The Smiths would be amazing, is Morrissey really that good by himself?
    Coachellas '05, '06, '07 & '09?