Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

Default The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

I just saw this tonight. Really loved it!
    Clocking in at nearly 3 hours, but never felt dragged on or bored me.

I must admit I was on the verge of tears for a few parts of the movie in the 2nd half.

Anyone else? (thoughts, not the almost crying)
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

Default Re: The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button

I really liked it. People who saw it before me said that they thought it was boring, but I didn't think so at all.

I saw it last night, it was pretty good, but not really good. I wished it had some sort of message to it. Which it really didn't. Also could have shaved off about 20 minutes. But I liked the circularity of it, the way it ended...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Pretty good, but it left a sad aftertaste in my mouth for about 5 hours after it was over.

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

I saw an advanced screening and loved it. One of my favorite movies of 2008.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

I liked it - there were things about it that I didn't love, but overall, I thought it was a sweet story.

At first I didn't think I was going to dig it - the whole dubbing of childhood Cate Blanchett's voice and the tying into hurricane Katrina - it all seemed mismatched and out of place. I didn't like where it was going. But as I started to love Benjamin's character and outlook, I started to be more forgiving of the other stuff.

The movie came at the right time for me. Made me consider a lot of factors in my life I had not thought about... mostly the idea that no matter what...

nothing lasts.

It rocked my mind for a good while after viewing it. The thought still lingers. I feel that Fincher has made his fairy tale movie. Its message was a clear as day
    "Choke on that Causality!"

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I don't give a shit if the Killers are playing; I'll watch something else-even if it's watching the poor churro man get trampled by stoners.

ya this movie was great made me feel like shit those first 10 min when i saw the mom in the hospital ya totally made me feel like shit n cry .
    I Wanna Drive Into The Sunset

Coachella 2007
    Coachella 2008
    Coachella 2009
    Coachella 2010
    The Big 4 2011
    Coachella 2012 ( I WONT FUCKING MISS IT! )

There were a few times I cried and a few things that resonated deeply. When Julia Ormond (really? This is where your career is Julia Ormond? You were a big deal in the 90s. I'm pretty sure Legends of the Fall buddy Brad Pitt got you this gig...) was reading the postcards from her dad each year of her life, that choked me up. And the sentiment that wherever you were in your life, it was never too late to change your direction or be someone other than who you are - I cried at that, too. That was the whole point of the movie, pretty much. And it's something that's really hard to realize but is easy to know.

It's criticized for being too Forrest Gumpish and I think that's because of the whole spectator's journey of watching other characters come in and out of your life with a simplicity that keeps you estranged from them. But I feel like that should be present in more movies - so it's been called out in two, so what? Why do we have to penalize this guy for doing that right twice when it's not done anywhere else? In most life stories people drift in and out. People we think are the least consequential might be meaningful to the subtext of our life when it's all over. I like that kind of objectivity.

The hurricane business bugged me initially, but later I felt like it followed a theme the movie tried to create. During the happiest moments, there was a storm brewing outside, literally or figuratively. Knowing death is at the door like a storm or force of nature is a good way to make everything seem more important - more meaningful. Something about the lack of permanence in a story where we're all very aware of aging - going from old to young. In a natural progression of young to old, we're less aware. The foreboding death of an infant seems morbid and more inevitable than our own death since we don't know how or when it will occur.

The more I think about the movie, the more I liked it.
    Last edited by Jenniehoo; 01-08-2009 at 11:56 PM.

I liked it, but it definitely didn't live up to its expectations for me. I can't even describe why, but after the movie I just felt slightly underwhelmed. I think alot of it may have to do with the ending. They could have made it much more powerful IMO. Im pretty stingy on movie endings as it is though.

I loved this movie.

I liked it but didn't love it. I found the incessant returns to the present distracting and I hated the goddamn CGI hummingbird. Fuck that thing; it ruined the scenes it was in.

Liked the story, though, and especially the clock story that bookended the film.
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Liked the story, though, and especially the clock story that bookended the film.
    I really wish they did more with that story. Or made even more of a connection to Benjamin.

OK - yeah. The hummingbird was fucking retarded. It was ridiculous and overdone. It's one of those things that I feel like insults intelligent moviegoers and is some lowest common denominator placater.

Wait how many scenes was the hummingbird in?? Cause I can only think of two. One of them I think was okay to use, but the one at the very end was stupid.

Just the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by youguysallsuckfatcock View Post
    now you guys are really pissing me off. especiall you walrus fucker

Yeah, there were two. The first time it came around, I thought. OK - cute. The whole, "I'd never seen a hummingbird so far out to sea..." was a little much, but okay. Honestly, I just hate feeling like I'm part of a dumbed down mass. That scene could have been just as effective without the assertion that Captain Mike Lock (get it, guys? My Clock?) was still there as a bird. He was immortal without the analogy. But then, when it came back later, it felt on the verge of a cheesiness that Forrest Gump owned and this movie eschewed. Honestly, I could go either way, as long as it was consistent. The hummingbird tip into the afterlife seemed overdone to me in the second scene, and maybe shouldn't have been present to begin with.

the more i reflect on it, the more i realize how much i disliked it. it had potential to be a really great piece of cinema, but i was disappointed in david fincher and brad pitt, both of whom can (and have) done so much better. the film was visually stunning, the special effects were nothing to sneee at; but i felt like the acting was very two-dimensional and flat. and the script left something to be desired.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    well....we can blame Murdoc a LITTLE

Quote Originally Posted by thatfinkleygirl View Post
    the more i reflect on it, the more i realize how much i disliked it. it had potential to be a really great piece of cinema, but i was disappointed in david fincher and brad pitt, both of whom can (and have) done so much better. the film was visually stunning, the special effects were nothing to sneee at; but i felt like the acting was very two-dimensional and flat. and the script left something to be desired.
    That sounds a lot like what Gabe thought about it - and that can't be ignored. I think it probably comes down to whether or not you bought the story - like, whether or not it connected with you. I feel like, personally, if I buy into the characters of a story, I forgive a lot.

Also, I've heard the criticism that Cate Blanchett was flat. I know when I was watching the younger scenes of Daisy as wild child dancer, I was thinking, "how the hell is this the love interest in this movie? She's easy and immature and we're supposed to go along with this?" But I felt like they changed or rounded her character as she aged. Or maybe she, as an actress, did this.

I know that's not what you're saying - but I feel like I understand how this movie could go either way for people. It could have been better - there's no doubt about that. But it was good enough for me.

I really disliked this movie. After about an hour it was obvious where it was going, so I was bored and just waiting for it to end and looking at my watch. I thought it was really hammy and just far too long; that the whole turned out to be far less than the sum of its parts.
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

I haven't seen it but it seems inevitable a movie like this would be written around and for the gimmick, and therefore not be very good.

Barbara, the ninja

I didn't like this movie at all. It was ridiculously too long with not enough young Pitt time to boot.

I thought the tug boat captain was a good guy but the movie was so long I forgot what part he played in Button's life. Also, when really old grandpa Button and young main female role went under the table I got the creeps. That was a really awkward scene. No normal toddler would do that.. blerg.

I got really annoyed with the Hurricane Katrina business. They could have done without it. It felt like they were trying to tie in a modern disaster to the plot so the movie can look relevant. The backwards clock thing with the half hour story about the clockmaker felt pointless to me, too. In fact.... taking out Daisy and the daughter and the hospital part would be good to me. I guess they did it on purpose but every time the story got good they would cut back to super old lady. I think I even yelled in frustration a few times during the movie.

I also think Brad Pitt should only play bad pretty boy roles.... his acting felt cheesy to me.

I'm in a hateful mood tonight. My bad.

This is a David Fincher movie? WTF?

I had heard it was just a re-do of the template for Forrest Gump. Yeah, I know it's based on a book, but isn't it a short story? You don't turn a short story into a 3 hour movie without changing the structure completely.

Anyway, I heard it was pretty much Forrest Gump with a different oddity. Right down to replacing the feather with a butterfly or something. I liked Gump fine the first time, but now I realize how awful it is on a lot of levels. I have a terrible curse with these kind of movies since then. I can still be emotionally manipulated by a movie really easily, but I'm also aware that it is happening. So I'll be sitting there crying, while my brain is becoming enraged by how awful the movie is.

Any opinions on the Gump factor? I haven't been to the movies in a while, and I doubt there's anything I want to see, but maybe I'll check this out. Fincher?

EDIT- Oops, most of those points were covered, that's what I get for skimming a thread. So the Hummingbird is the Feather?
    Last edited by M Sparks; 01-09-2009 at 05:10 AM.

So I'll be sitting there crying, while my brain is becoming enraged by how awful the movie is.
    Same here.

I loved Forrest Gump, because I actually cared about the characters in that movie and believed in their story and was moved by the portrayal of the events. Benjamin Button, on the other hand, did not achieve this.

For me, the message of Forrest Gump (besides the cheesy 'we are all feathers floating in the wind' thing) was that even the simplest of men can achieve extraordinary things, and that looking at things and people from an innocent, non-cynical perspective (like Forrest did) can often be the most rewarding way of living.

Benjamin Button, on the other hand, seemed really clumsy in delivering any kind of message. At the end it basically said "It's never too late to change", but on what grounds? Where was the evidence for this? What did Benjamin's character do that made him so special, or gave us any reason to root for him? He grows up, goes and works on a ship, sleeps with some whores, has an affair with a married woman, falls in love with a younger woman (whose love for him I never really found believable in the first place), writes a diary, and then dies. So what? Besides the ageing-backwards special effects trickery, the character was totally unremarakble. I think it makes a much better short story.
    "The first time I heard the new single off the Bravery album, I actually cried, and I do not even remember the name of that damn song. It reminded me of this girl I am in love with." - kroqken

Besides the ageing-backwards special effects trickery,
    Again, what else could you expect? It's not like someone had written this great story, and then after the fact thought, "I know, I'll make him age backwards and re-write the entire story so that people are intrigued by the trailer." The movie is probably just the trickery, and nothing else, like you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Will the Thrill View Post
    Again, what else could you expect? It's not like someone had written this great story, and then after the fact thought, "I know, I'll make him age backwards and re-write the entire story so that people are intrigued by the trailer." The movie is probably just the trickery, and nothing else, like you said.
    1. It's not just 'someone' who wrote the story, it's F Scott Fitzgerald, one of the greatest 20th Century authors, so I expected it to be good.

2. David Fincher had never let me down before; although Zodiac was also over-long and self-indulgent, just like this movie was. The difference is that I found the story and characters in Zodiac utterly compelling, but found myself feeling removed from those in Button.

3. Brad Pitt usually does a good job, but he just didn't work for me in this part.

It's really lazy to make a 3-hour movie which is just a one-trick pony with good effects but no substance. I would expect it from something like The Day The Earth Stood Still, but I had hoped for more from this.

F Scott Fitzgerald
    I didn't really see too many American authors get to the level of, say, Poe. I think that's the only one I would name as capable of giving a good story of those they throw at you in the public school system. The Great Gatsby did not impress me. It seemed my peers only liked it because they could actually understand it, which says even worse considering we rarely read heavy material. So, in any case, what I said I would even apply to a big-name American author. I mean, you guys have to pretend to have some sort of literary history apart from the English, don't you? No offense to you personally.

I liked Zodiac, btw. I didn't think it went on too long. Kept my interest the whole time.

Argued with the girlfriend about this movie. She just said that if the movie would have been made looking into the psyche of a man aging backwards, no one would want to see it except for nerds like me.

She said it works as a love story.

When I told her that it didn't feel like a love story, that they appeared to just have a physical attraction to each other, she told me I was wrong and that I didn't get it. And I agreed; I didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will the Thrill View Post
    I mean, you guys have to pretend to have some sort of literary history apart from the English, don't you? No offense to you personally.
    None taken, seeing as I'm English born and bred, and live in London!

I still think F Scott Fitzgerald was a fantastic author though. And I liked Zodiac too.