Thread: Rolling Stone - "Coachella will not sign High-Costing Headliners this year"...

Default Rolling Stone - "Coachella will not sign High-Costing Headliners this year"...

Rolling Stone Mag just a did a little article on how the economy will be affecting this years festivals. Not a lot of in depth info, or big revelations. But it does give some small info:

"Coachella Organizers have pledged not to sign high-cost headliners like 2008's Prince and Roger Waters. - "It was getting out of control, we're as price conscious as we have ever been".

"Similarly, all the top festivals, including Bonnaroo, Coachella and Lollapalooza will freeze prices at 2008 levels, according to promoters"
    So basically, no high cost headliners (I think we can finally count out all Paul McCartney) - and ticket prices won't be lowered, and will prob stay the same as 2008 (altho Lolla is offering a new pay system).

Default Re: Rolling Stone - "Coachella will not sign High-Costing Headliners this year"...

use the search button first....there are already threads about this. Now people are gunna come in here and sinsult you now.

Default Re: Rolling Stone - "Coachella will not sign High-Costing Headliners this year"...

Yeah, you beat me to it. My apologies. And i do deserve insults. Not only did I fail to realize the same thread was made, I posted in the wrong section. *awaits to be slapped and have shit thrown at me*

It goes without saying that $5 million for an headline slot is out of the question in this economic climate-unless you are Led Zepplin with Robert Plant.
    Ticket sales are just a part of the revenue a festival earns. Dropping ticket prices by 5-10% does not necessarily mean a rise in revenue. The people that will attend Coachella won't decide whether to go or nor based on $5-20 here or there. They can either afford it or not in most cases.
    It is the vendors and sponsors that are not taking out expensive pitches and ads. Remember those phone companies who take out those recharging tents and stuff pay for the right to do so. It is these areas which will hurt the bottom line. Losing a million dollar sponsor hurts more than 5,000 fewer tickets sold.

The only problem is if your line-up suffers a lack of big name acts then the attendence may also suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by tigermilkboy View Post
    It goes without saying that $5 million for an headline slot is out of the question in this economic climate-unless you are Led Zepplin with Robert Plant.
    Ticket sales are just a part of the revenue a festival earns. Dropping ticket prices by 5-10% does not necessarily mean a rise in revenue. The people that will attend Coachella won't decide whether to go or nor based on $5-20 here or there. They can either afford it or not in most cases.
    It is the vendors and sponsors that are not taking out expensive pitches and ads. Remember those phone companies who take out those recharging tents and stuff pay for the right to do so. It is these areas which will hurt the bottom line. Losing a million dollar sponsor hurts more than 5,000 fewer tickets sold.

The only problem is if your line-up suffers a lack of big name acts then the attendence may also suffer.
    5000 3-day passes will bring in well over $1 million in revenue from ticket sales alone.

I was referring to 5,000 as single day tickets at $100 per ticket.

5,000 x $100 = $500,000

Even if you sell 5,000 3 day tickets at $250 you break $1.25m.

What?? No more cute cat fail pics?
    select * from coachella_lineup where year='2009'

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

So the prices went up because they were spending so much on headliners.

Fair enough.

So the economy goes bad and they decide to spend less.

Again, fair enough.

So they freeze prices at last years prices which were higher to pay for the more extravagant headliners while not providing them.

Uh........wha?

wow, i guess im a bit late on this, but i am not too worried at all by this news.

i agree with menik that they are stupid for not thinking that big headliners = big attendance, but i'm all for low attendance, so bring on budgetchella. i'll still be there now matter what and i know the rest of the lineup will be insanely fun, so the less people to get in my way, the better.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Recessionchella

Depressionchella is just going to have that awesome drum kit set up for everyone to bang on and a popcorn machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by paganman7 View Post
    I had a dream that my wife cheated on me with Calmer. True story.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Did you find pee in her butt?

Where's Dani? Can she start locking multiple threads up again? Come on, girl!
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Im not sure if this has been posted or not. But here is how much Coachella grossed along with other festivals

GROSS SALES/
    Ticket Scale ARTIST(S)
    Venue, Location, Date(s) Attendance, Capacity
    No. of Shows, Sellouts Promoter(s)

$17,059,900 $244.50/$229.50/$209.50 BONNAROO MUSIC FESTIVAL
    Festival Site, Manchester, Tenn.
    June 12-15 80,000 four days Superfly Productions, A.C. Entertainment

$14,147,239 $205/$175 LOLLAPALOOZA
    Grant Park, Chicago
    Aug. 1-3 225,000 three sellouts C3 Presents

$13,880,197 $269/$90 COACHELLA VALLEY MUSIC FESTIVAL
    Empire Polo Field, Indio, Calif.
    April 25-27 151,666 three days Goldenvoice/AEG Live

$11,767,838 $170/$135 AUSTIN CITY LIMITS MUSIC FESTIVAL
    Zilker Park, Austin
    Sept. 26-28 218,000 three sellouts C3 Presents

$11,365,858 $249/$95 STAGECOACH FESTIVAL
    May 2-4 120,903 three days Goldenvoice/AEG Live

$11,106,227 $249.50/$85 SAN FRANCISCO’S OUTSIDE LANDS MUSIC AND ARTS FESTIVAL
    Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
    Aug. 22-24 130,070 three days Another Planet Entertainment

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by thewolvesareaway View Post
    Im not sure if this has been posted or not. But here is how much Coachella grossed along with other festivals

GROSS SALES/
    Ticket Scale ARTIST(S)

Grant Park, Chicago

Zilker Park, Austin

So that's how much the grossed... now we just need to see how much they spent. Then we'll be going somewhere.

Keep in mind: this is just ticket sales.

I don't even want to know how much I spent on Rockstar and Soju! I would say double this figure if you want to include drinks and other concessions.

Quote Originally Posted by thewolvesareaway View Post

GROSS SALES/
    Ticket Scale ARTIST(S)

Grant Park, Chicago

Zilker Park, Austin

yeah... Stagecoach was really big last year. The first year was really empty which was cool, but last year was as packed as Coach, but worse at main stage (since they only have three stages, and 90% never leave main; they have the entire area from the stage to the sound booth, from side to side a block of seats which sucks and takes up a ton of space... i was able to get closer to the stage for every coach headliner than i was at stagecoach, but i did get comp'd side stage passes for stagecoach which wound up being really, really cool...)