Page 1 of 12 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Coachella organizers have pledged not to sign high-cost headliners"

Default "Coachella organizers have pledged not to sign high-cost headliners"

I don't know if this has been discussed already. From the latest Rolling Stone...

"To keep expenses down, Coachella organizers have pledged not to sign high-cost headliners like 2008's Prince and Roger Waters. 'It was getting out of control,' says Randy Phillips, chief executive officer for promoter AEG Live. 'We're as price-conscious now as we've ever been.'"

Default Re: "Coachella organizers have pledged not to sign high-cost headliners"

ie. the killers.

bleh.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

September 24 - Modest Mouse - Vina Robles Amp.
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    November 9 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Amneeziac

Default Re: "Coachella organizers have pledged not to sign high-cost headliners"

It's been reported.

nobowie

The smiths are doing it for free to show it isn't about the money.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Earlimart will headline on Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

katy perrys vagina for saturday
    ICYMI: Today the two board members with the most questionable approach to music held mirrors up to each other; no one learned a thing and nothing will change.

All this means is no mega reunion. I've asked this before, but why is it always assumed that Bowie would charge excessive rates? Is he notorious for that? I never get an anwser.

bowie WILL be there. but he will be eating babies in the sahara from noon to 630

It's probably assumed just because of his status as a living legend? I think people must have forgotten he did extensive tours with Nine Inch Nails and Mobypalooza aka Area2 in the past decade.
    2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012b, 2013a, 2014a

Let's start a pool on how many babies he can eat....

Wouldn't a high price mega headliner bring in the money regardless of their price/cost?

realistically? minus the skeletol remains? im going with 7 babies

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Wouldn't a high price mega headliner bring in the money regardless of their price/cost?
    Only if the headliner can bring in enough additional fans to cover his/her/their high price.

remember, bean counters, they see costs...and nothing else...

but we will really see whats up soon enough...
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

does this mean that we could still get led zepplin as long as they were on the second line?
    your pockets are no longer filled with sunshine, now they are filled with sadness and despair.

it takes money to make money though, i don't buy this quote from RS at all

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    it takes money to make money though, i don't buy this quote from RS at all
    You don't buy much that comes here, do you? I guess it's always good to have skeptic present though. To balance us all out.

But yeah, I'm afraid I don't really agree, spending huge bucks on a huge headliner is risktaking, and nothing else. Prince was a huge risk and unfortunately it did not pay. Just because they don't spend big does not mean they can't make bank. I believe GV's priorities right now is to try and get a sellout with as small a budget as possible. Just my two cents...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

I understand where Menik is coming from. I would assume the big acts are what draw the majority of the fans. Maybe they just realized they are not gonna pay again the ridiculous amounts they paid last year. It was worth it though! For us atleast.
    Last edited by algunz; 01-07-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Coachella Junkie

I understand where he's coming from too, but you can work with a low budget and still make bank. That might be what GV has to work with this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    You don't buy much that comes here, do you? I guess it's always good to have skeptic present though. To balance us all out.

But yeah, I'm afraid I don't really agree, spending huge bucks on a huge headliner is risktaking, and nothing else. Prince was a huge risk and unfortunately it did not pay. Just because they don't spend big does not mean they can't make bank. I believe GV's priorities right now is to try and get a sellout with as small a budget as possible. Just my two cents...
    WTF are you talking about it sold out that day at 60k. Betao and I have already been over this. The cheap way to still make a profit in this economic climate is 2 cheap headliners (Killers/ Jane's whatever) and then one huge headliner (Smiths Bowie whatever)
    Quicksand- "i train with my dad so i could choke out that cock too if i really wanted to."

i'm all for Jane's whatever. They'd probably enjoy knowing they were the "cheap" set.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski27 View Post
    bowie WILL be there. but he will be eating babies in the sahara from noon to 630
    That's cool. Less kids running around with pacifiers hanging out of their mouths when I want to dance my ass off.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

We've already established Bugdetchella= downfall of Coachella.
    Quicksand- "i train with my dad so i could choke out that cock too if i really wanted to."

well they did spend a lot on last years headers but it isnt necessary for a great time...although I'll take prince any day.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
    We've already established Bugdetchella= downfall of Coachella.
    whatevs=whatevs

coachella for lifez
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicifyouwantit View Post
    well they did spend a lot on last years headers but it isnt necessary for a great time...although I'll take prince any day.
    Deep line-up= people having a great time when the get there

Headliner heavy= people getting there

Coachella Junkie

WTF are you talking about it sold out that day at 60k. Betao and I have already been over this. The cheap way to still make a profit in this economic climate is 2 cheap headliners (Killers/ Jane's whatever) and then one huge headliner (Smiths Bowie whatever)
    Prince's day sold out but they wanted to try sell it as a 3 day festival. Saturday was selling the best of the 3 days before Prince got added too. I wonder how much money they made after he was added? Hopefully enough to cover what it cost to pay him.

But yeah, let's not get into this again until later haha. We both know and agree on the best way to do this.

(but I would love know how the business model for this thing works, with the actual costs/budgets taken into account)

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    Prince's day sold out but they wanted to try sell it as a 3 day festival. Saturday was selling the best of the 3 days before Prince got added too. I wonder how much money they made after he was added? Hopefully enough to cover what it cost to pay him.

But yeah, let's not get into this again until later haha. We both know and agree on the best way to do this.

(but I would love know how the business model for this thing works, with the actual costs/budgets taken into account)
    I am a firm believer that if Prince had been on the intial line-up then more 3 day passes would have been sold. People like me (who don't live in Cal) can;t afford to fly out there last minute. However if I had know Prince was on the line-up from the get go then I would have made an effort.

Coachella Junkie

I am a firm believer that if Prince had been on the intial line-up then more 3 day passes would have been sold. People like me (who don't live in Cal) can;t afford to fly out there last minute. However if I had know Prince was on the line-up from the get go then I would have made an effort.
    Oh I believe you on that. Had Prince been on there from the beginning, Coachella would have done much better last year. Imagine Portishead headlining Friday and Prince doing Saturday. Amazing.