Thread: Ticket prices for Coachella 2009 will not be lower!!!

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Default Ticket prices for Coachella 2009 will not be lower!!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123068161346644043.html

Concert Industry Bucks the Recessionary Trend
    Tickets Sold Slip, but Higher Prices Fuel an Increase in Revenue; Madonna, Celine Dion Lead the PackArticle
    By ETHAN SMITH

The concert industry has so far bucked the recession, according to year-end data from trade magazine Pollstar, but promoters are bracing for a bumpy 2009.

Box-office receipts from North American concerts through December were $4.2 billion, up 7.8% from 2007. But the total number of tickets sold for the 100 top-grossing shows fell 3%, to 35.6 million, the second consecutive year of declines. The growth in revenue was the result of rising ticket prices. The average ticket to one of the 100 top-grossing shows cost $66.90, up $4.83, or 8%, from 2007 and more than double the average price in 1998.

That could spell trouble in 2009.

"At some point, this rampant unemployment is going to hit the concert industry," said Randy Phillips, chief executive of Anschutz Corp.'s AEG Live, the world's second-largest concert promoter by revenue, behind Live Nation Inc.

Getty Images
    Madonna, shown performing in Miami last month, had the top-selling tour of the year, grossing $105.3 million.
    Concert-ticket sales are an increasingly important source of revenue for musicians, as recorded music sales continue to plummet.

Mr. Phillips, like others in the concert business, said he had been surprised by how strong demand remained through 2008 for most major tours, even after October's stock-market meltdown. But he also noted that fans had become wary of increasingly costly "cheap seats."

"We had no problem selling out the most expensive seats," Mr. Phillips said. "There was more price sensitivity on cheap seats than I've seen in the past." For instance, Mr. Phillips said, the $66 lowest-priced tickets on one tour, which he declined to identify, stopped selling in late October. When the company lowered their prices to $49, sales picked up again.

Nonetheless, it isn't clear that fans will see an across-the-board cut in prices in 2009. Michael Rapino, chief executive at Live Nation, said his company is trying to become more flexible in how it "scales" ticket prices -- making cheap seats cheaper and perhaps dividing them into more than the usual two or three price levels.

"I'm not sure the net ticket price will change," Mr. Rapino said. "But bands are making sure they have more tickets in their inventory priced lower."

Both executives said despite the uneven outlook, the biggest stars seem likely to weather the economic storm, based on early sales. Even in recent weeks, tickets have been selling briskly for 2009 dates by AC/DC, Britney Spears and Metallica.

"I was expecting Britney Spears to be the biggest test of my career," said Mr. Phillips, whose company is promoting the pop singer's first major tour since 2004. "But [the tour] was so hot, it just blew out."

Mr. Rapino said his company's projections for 2009 are strong across the board, from club dates to arena shows.

Some promoters are taking novel steps to ensure their events remain affordable. The promoters of the Stagecoach country-music festival, which takes place in April near Palm Springs, Calif., reduced prices on their general-admission tickets to $99 for a two-day pass, down from $175 last year. They are also offering a layaway plan, under which fans can make a 10% down payment and then spread the rest of the cost over several months.

Paul Tollett, president of Goldenvoice, the promoter behind Stagecoach, said: "With the economy the way it is, people want to go to the show. We want to make sure that they're able to."

Mr. Tollett's company also produces the alternative-rock Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival on the same site as Stagecoach. He said prices aren't likely to be cut for that event.

Madonna had the top-selling tour of the year, grossing $105.3 million. Celine Dion was next ($94 million), followed by the Eagles ($73.4 million), Kenny Chesney ($72.2 million) and Bon Jovi ($70.4 million).

Madonna was also the biggest draw on the secondary market, in which fans and brokers resell tickets via Web sites like eBay Inc.'s StubHub. StubHub said the average price for a Madonna ticket on its site was $306, followed by the Eagles ($234), Billy Joel ($224), Bon Jovi ($217) and AC/DC ($210).

Write to Ethan Smith at ethan.smith@wsj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Default Re: Ticket prices for Coachella 2009 will not be lower!!!

Hmmmm, interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Coachella Junkie

awww man.

good find, marco.

<3 weeks to the lineup iirc. Wow, time flies!

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be crushed when it comes out ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

I just hope attendance is higher than 2008.

Does anyone remember the exact date that tix went on sale? I know the lineup release was jan 21st, but i cant remember what date the tix went on sale??

You left out the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    Why? 2008 was perfect. Not too many people (other than Saturday).
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

As I recall the presale was January 24th and tickets went on sale January 25th for 2008.

I liked the less people too but if the attendance keeps dipping that will adversely impact the future of Coachella.

http://idolator.com/5121113/no-6-pri...o-very-special

Prince got added to the Coachella bill some 15 days before the desert festival was slated to kick off, a move that was simultaneously totally awesome and slightly reeking of desperation. Ticket sales for the 2008 installment of the fest had been rumored to be a bit soft (a rumor that was borne out by the tumbleweeds skipping across the Empire Polo Field during Jack Johnson's Friday-closing set), and apparently Prince commanded a lot of cash to help goose the Saturday-night till. "So what?" you might ask. "He's Prince. He's worth it." I wholeheartedly agree, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder if his set—which included a cover of Radiohead's "Creep" that made Thom Yorke a bit snitty—broke the festival (and maybe even the US festival circuit) in a way, kind of like his precipitation-inducing Super Bowl halftime show of 2007.

Watch that before the Web Sheriff swoops in, then look at the latest version of the fake Coachella poster that goes around every year, and ask yourself, "How can any of those acts top that?" Never mind that I haven't even gotten to his backup singer's wrenching cover of Sarah McLachlan's ASPCA-boosting "Angel" that caused a baseball-cap-wearing dude behind me to say "Yo, I'm kinda tearing up, man." Or the fact that he kept the party going past curfew because he could (well, also because his fee was big enough that it could pay the fines levied by the local law enforcement). Or that he brought out Sheila E. and Morris Day, again, just because he could. Seriously, how do you top that? In a year that was full of personal disappointment and heartache, Prince's last-hurrah-styled party was one of the few things that I could say was singularly great about 2008, and brought me a level of joy that will help me at least look back on something from this year fondly.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Prince was truly epic.

Maybe they hired Jack Johnson so they could get the tumbleweeds on the Polo Field in time for Stagecoach.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

sigh.

what's with the Sigh?

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    They are also offering a layaway plan, under which fans can make a 10% down payment and then spread the rest of the cost over several months.
    What is it with rednecks and "layaway"? How about you put the $5 a week in your SAVINGS until you have enough to buy that sweet electric fan, instead of letting a huge corporation hold it.

Although I guess it makes more sense with tickets, since they are in limited supply and you don't actually use them until later.

a rumor that was borne out by the tumbleweeds skipping across the Empire Polo Field during Jack Johnson's Friday-closing set.
    This is like judging attendance at a rodeo by how many people are standing by the horse manure depository.

It was bedlam back at the Sahara (and behind it, and near it), and I find it hard to believe it's because Fatboy would have normally been such a huge draw.

Never mind that I haven't even gotten to his backup singer's wrenching cover of Sarah McLachlan's ASPCA-boosting "Angel" that caused a baseball-cap-wearing dude behind me to say "Yo, I'm kinda tearing up, man."
    Hahahahaha. I would have quite liked to witness that.

I liked the less people too but if the attendance keeps dipping that will adversely impact the future of Coachella.
    I completely agree. I really couldn't tell any difference in crowd levels last year. 50K looks the same as 60K to me... but adversely, a sellout is still a sellout, and that's going to be a pretty big deal.

(This is my 1,111th post. That's got to be good luck or something.)
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    (This is my 1,111th post. That's got to be good luck or something.)
    11:11 is very good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I don't think that there will be any issues with attendance this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    <3 weeks to the lineup iirc. Wow, time flies!

Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be crushed when it comes out ?
    Well, I don't know, but I notice that since I got laid off and am unable to afford tickets, there are a LOT less shows that I want to go see. Works out pretty well.

I am still hoping to make it to Coachella; the hotel is already paid for, and my tax return will cover everything else. But, if the lineup is really bad for some reason (would be a first for Coachella!) I can just get my money back for the hotel...

Not possible, right? I mean, for Coachella to not have a decent lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    What makes you say that o wise one?

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Yeah, I really beg to differ, but we'll see. Hopefully if any mistakes were made last year that they've been fixed. I'm altogether appalled that they aren't lowering prices though, I think that is going to prove disastrous for GV. I honestly couldn't care much for my personal benefit because Coachella is so cheap for me anyway, at least compared to all the other festivals I make it out to... all I need to do is pay for my ticket, food, and chip in a bit for gas on the way... so $285 vs. $225 really doesn't mean much to me.

But if the lineup is pretty similar to how it was last year, which it probably will be, and ticket prices are the same, combined with the absolutely shitty economy, I don't even want to think about how bad it is for GV. If anything, I'll be getting front row for a lot more sets this year But that's not something I'd really want in exchange...
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

What makes you say that o wise one?
    Because The Smiths are playing.

David Bowie and Radiohead, too.
    10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater (?), 10/18 Culture Collide, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale, 11/7 Warpaint @ Echoplex, 11/12 Blonde Redhead @ Fonda

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post

Whew...was worried there for a second!
    Last edited by TeamCoachellaHellYeah; 01-03-2009 at 04:18 PM.

Memorial_07

what the fuck?

It's the 10th year...be a little bit generous

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post

my Dreams have come true!! (if 2 out of 3 of those are right that would still be amazing!!)

it was a good dream while it lasted.

hopefully they won't INCREASE substantially
    "Choke on that Causality!"

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I don't give a shit if the Killers are playing; I'll watch something else-even if it's watching the poor churro man get trampled by stoners.