Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Festivals (Other than Bonnaroo/Coachella) 2009 Thread

Banned

Default Music Festivals (Other than Bonnaroo/Coachella) 2009 Thread

This might be a good idea to have a thread strictly for music festivals other than Coachella and Bonnaroo (Only because bonnaroo already has one).
    There's tons of festivals out there to talk about for 2009, so maybe this can be limited to just festival announcements and their line ups.
    From Consequence of Sound, here's a list of Festivals for the first quarter of 2009:
    # Tomorrow Never Knows Festival - (January 14-18, 2009 - Chicago, IL)
    # Sounds Like Brooklyn - (February 6-7 & 12-14, 2009 - Brooklyn, NY)
    # Big Ears Festival - (February 6-8, 2009 - Knoxville, TN)
    # Tucson Gem & Jam - (February 6-8, 2009 - Tucson, AZ)
    # Noise Pop - (February 24-March 1, 2009 - San Francisco, CA)
    # Langerado Music Festival - (March 6-8 2009 - Miami, FL)
    # HARD 13 - (March 13, 2009 - Los Angeles, CA)
    # South by Southwest - (March 18-22, 2009 - Austin, TX)
    # Winter Music Conference - (March 24-28, 2009 - Miami, FL)
    # Ultra Music Festival - (March 27-28, 2009 - Miami, FL)
    # Mission Creek Festival - (April 1-4, 2009 - Iowa City, IA)
    # Wanee Music Festival - (April ???, 2009 - Live Oak, FL)
    # The Hoodwink Festival - (April 3 & May 1, 2009 - Irvine, CA & E. Rutherford, NJ)
    # Rites of Spring Music Festival - (April ???, 2009 - Nashville, TN)
    I'm sure theres more from January until April, but these seem to be the major ones.
    Let me know what you guys think, it may be overcrowded to just talk about Music festivals all in one thread.

Default Re: Music Festivals (Other than Bonnaroo/Coachella) 2009 Thread

I wouldn't consider Sounds Like Brooklyn a real festival. It's 6 shows over 2 weekends

Banned

is anyone going to TNK or Noisepop?

Coachella Junkie

It is extremely overcrowded to talk about all of these in one thread. Just to see how many festivals there are:

http://consequenceofsound.net/festival-outlook/

no point in talking about them all in one thread.

well since you said "quarter" and went thru april, i guess summer can be included .... i will go to wakarusa, mile high, and monolith, provided they all happen .... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

i read thru that link and some of the shows i wouldnt consider a fest either .... the bridge show and farm aid .... i consider them multi day concerts but that is just me ... and mark, the link you sent for AC said the code was no longer good, but tnx a bunch for the link anyway .... i think i will pick it up when it drops (Jan 6th?), is it worth it .... cr****

What about that Bloc Weekend you guys mentioned in the Coachella 2009 thread?? That looked really good!!!!! To many acts to name, check the link or the 2009 Coachella Confirmed/Unconfirmed/Rumored thread and read the post by the person who first found it.

http://www.blocweekend.com/home.html

And there's the Joshua Tree which is May 15th to the 17th......

More acts will be added as spring approaches but here's the initial assortment:

Boots Riley & The Coup
    Nortec Collective
    Porter Batiste Stolz
    Kraak & Smaak (live band)
    Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian CIrcus of Dreams
    BoomBox
    Underground Orchestra
    Rupa & the April Fishes
    Zydepunks
    Ocote Soul Sounds
    Medicine Drum
    Materialized
    Monophonics

http://www.joshuatreemusicfestival.com/

And there is the Strawberry Music Festival In Camp Mather Yosemite May 21st to 24th and they arlready have this line up..

* Devil Makes Three
    * Flatlanders
    * Marty Stuart & his Fabulous Superlatives
    * Wronglers
    * Dry Branch Fire Squad
    * Natalie MacMaster
    * Sawmill Road
    * and many more TBA!

http://www.strawberrymusic.com/home.asp

The Cure, Portishead and The Cramps are playing Vegoose this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Blazed View Post
    The Cure, Portishead and The Cramps are playing Vegoose this year...
    Sorry your Vegoose was cooked for the holidays..

I'll be at pitchfork and ATP new York like yeArs past
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Fuji Rock will own all.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

When I hung out with Backwater he was telling me about this little music festival in Yosemite, but didn't know much about it. Does anyone know the name of it, or anything at all? Sounds like something I would love.
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    More laser beams is ALWAYS prefered to less laser beams. ALWAYS.

um...LIB anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    What about that Bloc Weekend you guys mentioned in the Coachella 2009 thread?? That looked really good!!!!! To many acts to name, check the link or the 2009 Coachella Confirmed/Unconfirmed/Rumored thread and read the post by the person who first found it.

http://www.blocweekend.com/home.html

And there's the Joshua Tree which is May 15th to the 17th......

More acts will be added as spring approaches but here's the initial assortment:

Boots Riley & The Coup
    Nortec Collective
    Porter Batiste Stolz
    Kraak & Smaak (live band)
    Gandalf Murphy & the Slambovian CIrcus of Dreams
    BoomBox
    Underground Orchestra
    Rupa & the April Fishes
    Zydepunks
    Ocote Soul Sounds
    Medicine Drum
    Materialized
    Monophonics

http://www.joshuatreemusicfestival.com/

And there is the Strawberry Music Festival In Camp Mather Yosemite May 21st to 24th and they arlready have this line up..

* Devil Makes Three
    * Flatlanders
    * Marty Stuart & his Fabulous Superlatives
    * Wronglers
    * Dry Branch Fire Squad
    * Natalie MacMaster
    * Sawmill Road
    * and many more TBA!

http://www.strawberrymusic.com/home.asp
    Hi feather. Here's info from ardent
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Ohhhhh Joshua Tree looks good this year, I'd love to go to that. I think I might be done with school by then. I'm all in! Always wanted to go... nothing like a festival in the desert
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Put a boombox playing Sarah McLachlan behind a fan, call it a day.

And, for the OP, there's also already a Langerado and a SXSW thread going, as well as many threads for other summer festivals.

Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    When I hung out with Backwater he was telling me about this little music festival in Yosemite, but didn't know much about it. Does anyone know the name of it, or anything at all? Sounds like something I would love.
    strawberry music festival .... yosemite, most awesome national park in the US ...cr****

Better than Yellowstone, Ron? I'm not too sure about that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

Hippie

Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    http://www.highsierramusic.com/

I guess it's actually pretty far north of Yosemite.
    Last edited by Backwater; 12-28-2008 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Yellowstone = overcrowded commercialized ransacked shit.

There are much better parks out there than Yosemite and Yellowstone put together. At least Yosemite has a great east backcountry going for it though.

/national park soapbox

i am talking about pure grandure .... i love yellowstone and it is better for camping, hiking, etc, but for just the wow factor, i go with yosemite (mostly loving to take pics i say that) ...i think for the wow factor of seeing a park and not even being at the park, the tetons rank right up there .... cr****

40th ANNIVERSARY
    NEW ORLEANS JAZZ & HERITAGE FESTIVAL
    PRESENTED BY SHELL
    APRIL 24 - 26 (1st WEEKEND)

Wynton Marsalis, Dave Matthews Band, James Taylor, Joe Cocker, Earth Wind & Fire, Wilco, Spoon, Erykah Badu, Irma Thomas, Orishas, Third World, Robert Cray, Etta James & the Roots Band, Mavis Staples, Drive-By Truckers feat. Booker T. Jones, Johnny Winter, Pete Seeger, Hugh Masekela, Better Than Ezra, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Galactic, Roy Haynes, Pete Fountain, Avett Brothers, Kinky, Roy Rogers, Del McCoury Band, Terence Blanchard, Marc Broussard, DJ Jubilee with 5th Ward Weebie and Ms. Tee, Buckwheat Zydeco's 30th Anniversary feat. The Hitchhikers, Tab Benoit, Locos por Juana, Trombone Shorty, Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, Yacub Addy and Odadaa of Ghana, Rebirth Brass Band Reunion with Kermit Ruffins, Ivan Neville & Dumpstaphunk, Big Sam's Funky Nation, Terrance Simien & the Zydeco Experience, Amanda Shaw & the Cute Guys, Donald Harrison, The Anointed Jackson Sisters, Tribute to Mahalia Jackson featuring Irma Thomas, Mavis Staples, and Pamela Landrum, Chris Smither, Henry Butler, Papa Grows Funk, Robert Mirabal, Harlem Blues & Jazz Band, Rockin' Dopsie, Jr. & the Zydeco Twisters, Sonny Landreth, Benjy Davis Project, The Vettes, Mem Shannon & the Membership, Stephanie Jordan, Warren Storm, Willie Tee and Cypress feat. Tommy McLain and T K Hulin, Astral Project, Ladysmith Redlions of South Africa, Don Vappie & the Creole Jazz Serenaders, Amammereso Agofomma of Ghana, The Dixie Cups, Chubby Carrier & the Bayou Swamp Band, Germaine Bazzle, John Mooney & Bluesiana, Marlon Jordan, Tabby Thomas, Spencer Bohren, Savoy Music Center of Eunice Saturday Cajun Jam, Dew Drop Inn Revisited hosted by Deacon John feat. Wanda Rouzan, Eddie Bo, Allen Toussaint, Robert Parker, and Al "Carnival Time" Johnson, Paul Sanchez & the Rolling Road Show, Wayne Toups & Zydecajun, Leroy Jones presents the Fairview Brass Band Reunion Tribute to Danny Barker, Bruce Daigrepont, Vivaz!, Pfister Sisters' 30th Anniversary, Gringo do Choro, Dr. Michael White & the Original Liberty Jazz Band, Thais Clark, Big Chief Monk Boudreaux & the Golden Eagles Mardi Gras Indians, Henry Gray & the Cats, Joe Krown, Walter "Wolfman" Washington & Russell Batiste, Jr., Lil' Buck Sinegal Blues Band, EOE, Pine Leaf Boys, Ebony Hillbillies, Crescent City Allstars feat. James Andrews, Hot 8 Brass Band, Schatzy, Jake Smith, 19th Street Red Blues Band, Brasilliance!, Mighty Chariots of Fire, Sharde Thomas & the Rising Star Fife & Drum Band, Chris Owens, Topsy Chapman, New Bumpers' Revival Jazz Band of France, Zulu Male Ensemble, Jo "Cool" Davis, Leah Chase, Herlin Riley, Roderick Paulin, Mahogany Brass Band, Ingrid Lucia, MyNameisJohnMichael, Texas Johnny Brown & the Quality Blues Band, Rockie Charles & the Stax of Love, AsheSon, Jim McCormick, Lil' Malcolm & the House Rockers, Dwayne Dopsie & the Zydeco Hellraisers, Thomas "Big Hat" Fields & his Foot Stompin' Zydeco Band, Guitar Slim, Jr., Storyville Stompers Brass Band, Willis Prudhomme & Zydeco Express, Lost Bayou Ramblers, Waterseed, Creole Wild West and Golden Blade Mardi Gras Indians, DJ Hektik & the New Orleans Society of Dance with Freedia and Nobi, Tipsy Chicks, Jonno Frishberg & Bayou DeVille, Christian Serpas & Ghost Town, Kumbuka African Drum and Dance Collective, NewBirth Brass Band, High Ground Drifters Bluegrass Band, New Orleans Night Crawlers Brass Band, Hadley Castille & the Sharecropper Band, Carrollton Hunters and Cherokee Hunters Mardi Gras Indians, Big Steppers, Furious Five, and Untouchables SAPCs, Patrice Fisher & Arpa feat. special guests from Brazil, Clive Wilson's New Orleans Serenaders feat. Butch Thompson, Young Tuxedo Brass Band, Betty Winn & One A-Chord, McDonogh #35 High School Gospel Choir, Sophisticated Ladies feat. Barbara Shorts, Leslie Smith, Cindy Scott, and Judy Spellman, Golden Comanche and Seminoles Mardi Gras Indians, N.O.C.C.A. Jazz Ensemble, Real Untouchables Brass Band, Olympia Aid, New Look & First Division SAPCs, New Orleans Jazz Vipers, Tommy Sancton, Society Brass Band, Connie Jones, St. Joseph the Worker Music Ministry, UNO Jazz Combo, June Gardner & the Fellas, New Orleans Spiritualettes, Smitty Dee's Brass Band, Kid Simmons' Local International Allstars, Semolian Warriors, Comanche Hunters, and Golden Star Hunters Mardi Gras Indians, Louisiana Repertory Jazz Ensemble, Tyronne Foster & the Arc Singers, Loyola University Jazz Ensemble, Franklin Avenue B.C. Mass Choir, Small Souljas Brass Band, Val & the Love Alive Fellowship Choir, Single Ladies, Family Ties, Big Nine, and Keep N It Real SAPCs, Second Mount Carmel Gospel Choir, Xavier University Jazz Ensemble, Heritage School of Music Band, Gospel Soul Children, Nine Times Men, Single Men, Dumaine Gang, Divine Ladies, and Lady Jetsetters SAPCs, Red, White & Blue and Wild Mohican Mardi Gras Indians, Reverend Charles Jackson & the Jackson Travelers, Nineveh B.C. Mass Choir, Kid Simmon's Local International Allstars, Voices of St. Peter Claver, David & Roselyn, Grayhawk, Washboard Leo, Red Hot Brass Band, Kayla Woodson & Louisiana Lightnin'....

40th ANNIVERSARY
    NEW ORLEANS JAZZ & HERITAGE FESTIVAL
    PRESENTED BY SHELL
    APRIL 30 - MAY 3 (2nd WEEKEND)

Aretha Franklin, TBA, Sugarland, Ben Harper & Relentless7, Tony Bennett, Kings of Leon, The Neville Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, Common, Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, Buddy Guy, Los Lobos, The O'Jays, Toots & the Maytals, Allen Toussaint, John Mayall, Solomon Burke, Doc Watson, Maze featuring Frankie Beverly, The Whispers, Jakob Dylan, Chuck Brown, Meter Men: Zig, George, and Leo, Kurt Elling, Rance Allen, Cowboy Mouth, Guy Clark, Radiators, Aaron Neville, Lil' Ed & the Blues Imperials, Tab Benoit & the Wetland Allstars, Marcia Ball, Ellis Marsalis, Kermit Ruffins & the Barbecue Swingers, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Poncho Sanchez Latin Jazz Band, Jon Cleary & the Absolute Monster Gentlemen, Frankie Ford, BeauSoleil avec Michael Doucet, Mississippi Mass Choir, Walter "Wolfman" Washington & the Roadmasters, Anders Osborne, the subdudes, Esperanza Spalding, Patty Griffin, Deacon John, Chris Thomas King, Kind of Blue @ 50 Tribute to Miles Davis feat. Jimmy Cobb, Wallace Roney, Larry Willis, and Buster Williams, John Scofield & the Piety Street Band, George Wein & the Newport Allstars feat. Randy Brecker, VaShawn Mitchell & Friends, Nicholas Payton, Linda Tillery & the Cultural Heritage Choir, Irvin Mayfield & the New Orleans Jazz Orchestra, Bonerama, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, The Genius of Sidney Bechet: A Tribute feat. Bob Wilber, Dr. Michael White, and Brian "Breeze" Cayolle, Delfeayo Marsalis Quintet, Geno Delafose & French Rockin' Boogie, Nathan & the Zydeco Cha Chas, Theresa Andersson, Cedric Burnside & Lightnin' Malcolm, Bobby Lounge feat. Sarah Quintana, Chieck Hamala Diabate of Mali, The Iguanas, Treme Brass Band, Lars Edegran & the New Orleans Ragtime Orchestra, Lionel Ferbos & the Palm Court Jazz Band, Fredy Omar con su Banda, Rosie Ledet & the Zydeco Playboys, Big Chief Bo Dollis & the Wild Magnolias, Soul Rebels, Steve Riley & the Mamou Playboys, Luther Kent & Trickbag, Banu Gibson's Hot Jazz with Bucky Pizzarelli, Mark Braud, Sunpie & the Louisiana Sunspots, Marva Wright & the BMWs, Kenny Bill Stinson & the Ark-LA-Mystics, Gregg Stafford's Jazz Hounds' Tribute to Danny Barker feat. Juanita Brooks, Eric Lindell, C.J. Chenier & the Red Hot Louisiana Band, Rumba Buena, Roddie Romero & the Hub City Allstars, Charmaine Neville Band, Eddie Bo, Ori Danse Club of Benin, Crocodile Gumboot Dancers of South Africa, Rotary Downs, George French & the New Orleans Storyville Jazz Band, Walter Payton & Filé Gumbo, Dash Rip Rock, John Boutté, Sonny Bourg & the Bayou Blues Band, Johnny Sketch & the Dirty Notes, Sherman Robertson, Honey Island Swamp Band, The Revealers, I'Voire Spectacle feat. Seguenon Kone, Alex McMurray, 101 Runners, Midnite Disturbers, Paulin Brothers Brass Band, Big Chief Peppy & the Golden Arrows Mardi Gras Indians, D.L. Menard & the Louisiana Aces, James Rivers Movement, Otra, Tony Green's Gypsy Jazz, New Orleans Klezmer Allstars, John Rankin, Betsy McGovern & the Poor Clares, Kenny Neal, Lil' Brian & the Travelers, Jeremy Davenport, Keith Frank & the Soileau Zydeco Band, Jamal Batiste & the Jam-Allstars, Red Stick Ramblers, Ensemble Fatien feat. Seguenon Kone, Dr. Michael White, and Jason Marsalis, Sharon Martin, St. Louis Slim, Bryan Lee & the Blues Power Band, TBC Brass Band, Lady Rollers, Original C.T.C., and Nine Times Ladies SAPCs, Feufollet, War Chief Juan & Young Fire and White Cloud Hunters Mardi Gras Indians, New Orleans Bingo! Show, David Egan, Kidd Jordan-Al Fielder & the IAQ, Drew Landry Band, Driskill Mountain Boys, Jumpin' Johnny Sansone, Washboard Chaz, Bamboula 2000, Danza, Marisa y Mariachi Agave, J. Monque'D Blues Band, Cedric Watson, Twangorama, Higher Heights, Tim Laughlin, Elysian Fieldz, Percussion Inc., Pinettes Brass Band, Scene Boosters, Old N Nu Fellas, Secondline Jammers, and Ladies of Unity SAPCs, Little Freddie King Blues Band, Glen David Andrews, Po' Henry & Tookie, Sherman Washington & the Zion Harmonizers, Culu Children's Traditional African Dance Ensemble, Paky Saavedra's Bandido, New Orleans Mardi Gras Indian Rhythm Section, Bob French & the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band, Shamarr Allen, Free Agents Brass Band, Jambalaya Cajun Band, Benny Grunch & the Bunch, Javier Tobar & Elegant Gypsy, Creole Zydeco Farmers, Bonsoir Catin, Corey Ledet, Gina Brown, Reggie Hall & the Twilighters feat. Lady Bee, Forgotten Souls Brass Band, Young Magnolias, Golden Sioux, and Black Feathers Mardi Gras Indians, New Leviathan Oriental Foxtrot Orchestra, Westbank Steppers, Valley of Silent Men, and Pigeon Town Steppers SAPCs, Doreen's Jazz New Orleans, Truth Universal & Jimi Clever, Shades of Praise Gospel Singers, Brother Tyrone, Lazarus, Berard Family Band, New Orleans Jazz Ramblers, Courtney Bryan Trio, Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz, DJ Captain Charles, Blodie's Jazz Jam, New Orleans Helsinki Project, Original Last Straws, Chris Clifton, Panorama Jazz Band, Mario Abney, John Lee & the Heralds of Christ, Original Dixieland Jazz Band, Hot Club of New Orleans, The Moonshiners, Clarinet Woodshed feat. Evan Christopher and Gregory Agid, SUBR Jazz Ensemble, Michael Ward, DJ Soul Sister, The Johnson Extension, Black Eagles, Geronimo Hunters, Wild Tchoupitoulas, and Wild Apaches Mardi Gras Indians, Watson Memorial Teaching Ministries, Tulane University Jazz Ensemble, First Emmanuel Baptist Church Choir, Louis Ford & his New Orleans Flairs, Fi Yi Yi & the Mandingo Warriors, Red Hawk, and Black Seminoles Mardi Gras Indians, Leviticus Gospel Choir, Dillard University Jazz Ensemble, Bester Singers and the Dynamic Smooth Family Gospel Singers, Bon Temps Roulez, New Generation, and Undefeated Divas SAPCs, The Electrifying Crownseekers, Pinstripe Brass Band, Ebenezer Baptist Church Radio Choir, Trouble Nation, Black Eagles, and Ninth Ward Hunters Mardi Gras Indians, Famous Rocks of Harmony, Highsteppers Brass Band, McMain High School Gospel Choir, Voices of Distinction, Gal Holiday, Lyle Henderson & Emmanuel, Coolie Family Gospel Singers, Original Big 7 and Original 4 SAPCs, Tornado Brass Band, Eddie "Chops" Paris, Apache Hunters, Wild Red Flame, and Mohawk Hunters Mardi Gras Indians, Morning Star B.C. Mass Choir, New Wave Brass Band, Julio y Cesar Band, First Emmanuel Church Gospel Choir, Greater Antioch Full Gospel B.C. Mass Choir, Roderick Paulin, N'Kafu African Dance Ensemble, Original Prince of Wales and the Original Lady Buckjumpers SAPCs, Johnette Downing, Young Guardians of the Flame, Eric McAllister, N'Fungola Sibo West African Dance Company, Mt. Hermon B.C. Mass Choir...

Glacier is way better than either because there aren't 3 million people there when you go

although I still love both Yellowstone and Yosemite very much

stick to the backcountry in either, and they;re amazing
    '99-'11...

Hippie

Last year's Jazzfest lineup was better but this year still looks pretty good.

Cant wait first time going to Europe

then hopefully Fuji Rock too

Rothbury will more than likely be 4th of July Weekend.
    New York Ice Cream TV Travel Good Times

Rothbury got the axe

Any news on potential P4K players?

Id say Flying Lotus are a shoein for P4k same with Esau Mwamwaya and Radioclit are the Very Best and Deerhunter for a headliner Im thinking Arcade Fire or Portishead (idk why but I have a good feeling about this one)

and for Friday which is all Dont Look Back performances I think

Suicide
    maybe The Saints or Fantomas

I have no clue for the third one
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    theres nothing gay about snowballing...