Page 72 of 77 FirstFirst ... 67686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,160 of 2281

Thread: HIP-HOP 102

Default Re: HIP-HOP 102

I said this around the time WTT came out and my friends thought I was crazy.....wanted to know what you all thought. At this point in their careers Kanye spits better rhymes than Jay Z. Now I'm talking what they're putting out right now, not comparing their past accomplishments.

Thoughts?
    “We've spent so much time judging what other people created that we've created very, very little of our own.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

Ill agree with you simply based on the fact that Jay hasn't put out a line about anything but how much money he has since the Black Album.

I think his word play is still better than most but I agree Jay Z's content is much more about how wealthy he is. I like how nicely they put it at hiphopsite.com - "Themes of wealth and fame are explored at length. He doesn’t shy away for his love for material things as both “Picasso Baby” and “Tom Ford”, name dropping some items you might find around his house, ironically doing so over raw hip-hop production."
    “We've spent so much time judging what other people created that we've created very, very little of our own.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

BP3 had awesome content. And I'm not saying his hasn't declined, but what is he supposed to rap about now? I feel like Magna Carta doesn't even have actual verses on it, just little snippets strung together.

American Gangster is criminally underrated and in my opinion, his third best album
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

I didn't mean for that to come across as Jay has lost it. I really enjoy MCHG, and he still brings it. Theres just only so many of the same song I can listen to. Which is why I give it to Kanye.

I'd say these two particular albums serve as the exception.

I saw Run the Jewels in Phoenix a couple nights ago and I have to admit, one of the best shows I've been to in a while. I hope they bring them back for Coachella. What I appreciated was the half an hour Killer Mike and El-P each spent covering their own material - which lead up to a really incredible Run the Jewels set (with Despot coming out for Tougher Colder Killer). Pretty incredible 2 hours. That album is my favorite of 2013 thus far.

Some of my favorites from 2013 thus far:
    Run the Jewels
    J. Cole
    Jay-Z
    Kanye
    Pusha T - Wrath of Cain
    Big Boi
    Ra the Rugged Man - Legends Never Die
    Kid Cudi - Indicud
    Action Bronson/Harry Fraud
    Tha Demigodz
    Ghostface Killah
    Talib Kweli
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

Run The Jewels is rap album of the year probs

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    Run The Jewels is rap album of the year probs
    the beats on it are really freaking good....who else in you all's opinion would be dope to hear over El-P beats??? Even though I would be perfectly okay with only hearing Killer Mike and El-P rap over El-P beats for the rest of my life.

I think Kanye West would be an interesting candidate.
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

Hip Hop died in 2003 guys. Drop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Nah there's been an insane amount of great rap music recently

No there hasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Run the Jewels and Deltron 3030 event ii are going be the best hip hop albums of the year.The thing that I was surprised about when I saw Run the Jewels was I was thinking that Killer Mike solo set was going to be better than El-P and being proved wrong was worth the $20 admission.
    Last edited by getbetter; 08-07-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I'm listening to Quaismoto for the first time so far its GREAT
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    No there hasn't.
    I disagree.

butthurt messiah TheVelvetSmudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    I disagree.
    It's a poor decision to disagree with snobs. They're never wrong, especially when they're wrong. You can provide them with examples, which they will promptly shit all over. I'm sure we'd all love to hear/ see thelastgreatman's material, what he's been working at all these years. Lol.

This beat spanks:

Oh my fucking word 'Ye laced Pusha with some heroin on that one... I think every hip hop fan has been waiting for Pusha's debut album for at least 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    And I have a dick for you to eat if youre hungry still.

Gotta be rap album of the year when it drops..if it drops..

Ok so hip-hop was having a resurgence of sorts with the young guys from 09-11. Then something went terrible wrong with almost all of them(Odd Future, ASAP Rocky, Schoolboy Q, Danny Brown(debut is taking too long), Big Sean, Theolopilus London, Wiz Khalifa, The Cool Kids, Pusha T(see Danny Brown) all had subpar albums from 2011-2013. The only one who seemed to rise above "internet" recognition was Kendrick Lamar. Then he went and dropped "the greatest verse of all time in hip-hop, OH MY GODZ I'm gonna play with myself now" and everyone went bat shit crazy. My point is a verse like that is ok, but I think it has been elevated because of the state of hip hop/rap as a genre. It's almost like everyone suddenly remembers that hip hop was about having healthy competition about being the best. It's what made so many rappers in the 80's and 90's great, there was healthy competition. Even amongst people who had respect for each other, they always had the mentality of a guy thinking I know i'm better than you, and I'll prove it. I hope Kendrick's verse(while weak) resuscitates a genre I hold close to my heart. I was excited for a couple years, but then something went wrong. Well anyway FLAME ON!

Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    This beat spanks:

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE! Pusha T's raps are straight crack, but the beat is fucking ipad worthy. WTF? Really? man get your head re-screwed and then let's talk. Goddamn!

Kendrick needs to take it slow...seriously. He's been on countless features over the past year

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Porter View Post
    Kendrick needs to take it slow...seriously. He's been on countless features over the past year
    Kendrick gets away with it because he didn't flop. I do agree, there is something to reeling in your shit and only putting out material that is great. That is why the mixtape game is a gimmick and a fucking joke. Fuck mixtapes, I ask people who listen to rock bands, do you really want to listen to rehearsals being sold as actual tracks? probably not, and that is what mixtapes are, they are fucking DEMOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    Ok so hip-hop was having a resurgence of sorts with the young guys from 09-11. Then something went terrible wrong with almost all of them(Odd Future, ASAP Rocky, Schoolboy Q, Danny Brown(debut is taking too long), Big Sean, Theolopilus London, Wiz Khalifa, The Cool Kids, Pusha T(see Danny Brown) all had subpar albums from 2011-2013. The only one who seemed to rise above "internet" recognition was Kendrick Lamar. Then he went and dropped "the greatest verse of all time in hip-hop, OH MY GODZ I'm gonna play with myself now" and everyone went bat shit crazy. My point is a verse like that is ok, but I think it has been elevated because of the state of hip hop/rap as a genre. It's almost like everyone suddenly remembers that hip hop was about having healthy competition about being the best. It's what made so many rappers in the 80's and 90's great, there was healthy competition. Even amongst people who had respect for each other, they always had the mentality of a guy thinking I know i'm better than you, and I'll prove it. I hope Kendrick's verse(while weak) resuscitates a genre I hold close to my heart. I was excited for a couple years, but then something went wrong. Well anyway FLAME ON!

'Old' isn't Danny Brown's debut....he has 3 albums, 3 eps and 9 mixtapes. This honestly might be the best year hip-hop has seen in years with releases from so many talented artists. Personally, I think the whole Beast Coast movement has been putting out some of the best hip-hop since the supposed 'glory days'. Joey Bada$$ (& the rest of Pro Era), Flatbush Zombies and The Underachievers are all artists worth checking out, and each of them have a new album coming out soon. The Underachievers new EP 'Lords of Flatbush' drops tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVacant View Post
    The Underachievers new EP 'Lords of Flatbush' drops tomorrow.
    Didn't even know about this. Nice

Anybody have anything to say about the whole "Control" thing? Who had the nicest comeback? I liked Lupe's quite a bit.

Riff Raff killed it.

I like that shushy is trying to say these are the worse days of hiphop. Lulz I guess if you only like radio shit yeah it has been weak, but the underground is thriving. The past two years are a million times better than any of your top 10 in 04-08 besides American Gangster. Sorry the only rapper you like fell off, but that just cleared way for aall the original talent coming in.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    I like that shushy is trying to say these are the worse days of hiphop. Lulz I guess if you only like radio shit yeah it has been weak, but the underground is thriving. The past two years are a million times better than any of your top 10 in 04-08 besides American Gangster. Sorry the only rapper you like fell off, but that just cleared way for aall the original talent coming in.
    Typing on my iPhone and some of this shit may not make sense haha. Also only rapper I like, hahaha you're cute stinkbutt!

The past two years are better? Hip hop has been suffering as a genre for years now. The underground is thriving isn't saying much. I mean don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed certain records that have come out, but really hip hop as a genre isn't doing much. Production wise there are several guys doing their thing. Lyrically it's like grade school rap. There is some things to get excited about but not much. What I'm seeing is laziness, and complacency. I would love for hip hop to be aiming higher.

Also coming at be using the Jay-Z angle? -___- get the fuck outta here! Anyone who is real understands that jay-Z is putting out records because he enjoys bein out there with new music. He has better things to worry about. I wish he would stop putting out records if he isn't hungry anymore. He clearly shows he isn't into it on blueprint 3, and Magna Carta is just lame ass shit for a jay-Z record(production is killer though). I agree with one thing you said, American Gangster is his last great album.
    Last edited by Sushov23; 08-22-2013 at 02:03 AM.