Page 60 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2281

Thread: HIP-HOP 102

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Default Re: HIP-HOP 102

Just finally got around to downloading Elzhi's ELmatic CD. Shit's great.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Endless lol's at Shyne's verse on Tha Carter IV.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    Endless lol's at Shyne's verse on Tha Carter IV.

He went from trying to sound like Biggy to trying to pull of the voice of Rick Ross. Verse should have got scrapped. Nas killed it. Loved Busta's verse too
    Last edited by Neighborhood Creep; 08-25-2011 at 10:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    If you don't like this song, you're probably a coward.

I fucking love this guy, I don't know how I never heard him before
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Horrible video.
    Great song.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    Nas killed it.
    Agreed.

There are some good songs on the album, but "how to hate" and "how to love" ruin it for me.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

For all you Jeezy fans, the videos are posted on the link.

PIMP IN DISTRESS!

BY DANIEL RAVEN
    Young Jeezy
    Celebrity Theatre
    Thursday, August 25, 2011

Young Jeezy may not know how to ride a beat or rap for more than ten seconds without losing his breath, but he was certainly able to keep it gangsta last night at Celebrity Theatre.

Rapping to a half-empty venue in support of his upcoming album, Thug Motivation 103, Jeezy delivered a set list packed full of gritty street anthems like "Trap Or Die", "Soul Survivor" and "Put On".

Although he couldn't replicate his studio delivery on stage and sounded more like an asthmatic amateur than a platinum-selling star, he still managed to exude enough confidence and energy to sell the audience on the authenticity of his lyrics.

Oh, and there was that unexpected Katt Williams brawl.

​Because he built his career around his well-deserved reputation as a cocaine slinging, gang-affiliated bad ass and not around his skills as an M.C., the rapper's shortcomings as a performer did little to detract from fans' enjoyment.

Jeezy has been promoting the release of the same perpetually pushed back album since he came to town more than two years ago with Lil Wayne and Soulja Boy.

Since he hasn't put out a successful mainstream single in ages, the crowd was largely devoid of the well-mannered, suburban youth demographic that one would typically find at a big name rap show and the audience seemed a lot rougher and tougher as a result.

All that gangsta posturing on stage and around the venue reached critical mass about halfway through the show when an epic fight erupted in the V.I.P. Area as "I Luv It" began.

Comedian Katt Williams, a throng of his groupies and a pack of hulking bouncer types converged in a prolonged orgy of violence that lasted almost as long as the song did -- it's hard to say what exactly caused the throw-down, but these videos confirm the action:

After ejecting an angry, shirtless Williams from the show (who departed once his female companions finished recovering their wigs)
    , a visibly irritated Jeezy ordered the stage lights off and outdid the spectacle of the fight by performing "Soul Survivor" almost exclusively by the light of the audience's cell phones.

This was probably the highlight of the show, although the rapper's monologues between songs about overcoming adversity by stunting on your haters were a close second.

All things considered, the show was a success, and Celebrity Theater is the perfect place for a show like this.

The layout is terrific, and while the stage unfortunately wasn't rotating for this concert, there aren't a lot of venues that allow a big audience the opportunity to get so up close and personal with a performer.

Jeezy may have sounded a little clumsy and uncoordinated, but he performed until sweat poured off of him and ultimately delivered the unique brand of realness that his fans appreciate him for, even going so far as to remove his diamond chains and wade into the crowd.

Critic's Notebook

Last Night: Young Jeezy at Celebrity Theatre

The Crowd: Flabby thugs with bloodshot eyes and women who look like they haven't seen a bar of soap in at least a couple weeks.

Overheard In The Crowd: "Is that Katt Williams or a backup dancer?"

Personal Bias: I'm pretty sure Trap Or Die is the best mixtape I've ever heard. If you download it and listen to "Pussy Ass Niggas" every day on the way to work your life will only get more awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

I went to Rock the Bells yesterday. It was fucking awesome. I posted my review in the RTB thread, but also wanted to share here. I know not everyone reads the other festivals thread.

Got there just in time for Souls of Mischief. (93 til Infinity) Great Souls set, brought out all of Hiero; Pep, Casual, Del, Domino. They performed/closed with “Cab Fare.” Cab Fare is one of those rare B-side tracks on a single and they never perform it live. That was a treat.
    Walked over to the side stages. 36 Chambers stage was just starting as we walked back to see Common, but Killa Priest had a live band and sounded great as I was walking away. Common was awesome. Had a live band, they sounded great.
    Black Star was awesome, but I think Common with live band edged them out a little and had a better set. Common came back out and did a song with Mos and Talib. Very cool moment. There hasn’t been too many live collaborations's at RTB. I wish there were more. It makes the event and moment feel special. Fans hardly ever get to see all these guys at one festival and several have made songs together at one time or another.
    Went back out to the side stages. Could have called it Rock the sound bleed. Sub-par set up. Both stages next to each other at the same time. Checked out Random Axe (36 chambers stage), but Black Milk wasn’t with them so I went and found a cool spot closer to the Paid Dues stage. Watched Fashawn and Exile. Fashawn was impressive, I’d not caught him live before but had heard positive talk about him. Blu came out a bit later, but then I went and checked out Black Moon (36 Chambers stage). Buckshot is good. I’d like to see him again when I can give his set more of my focus.
    Back to Paid Dues for Big K.R.I.T. I first heard K.R.I.T. around the same time I’d first heard Yelawolf. (Yelawolf opened the Paid Dues stage last year) His set was awesome. Lots of energy, great stage presence, great mic control. I was surprised how much love the bay area has for him, but everyone was digging him. I heard lots of people talking about K.R.I.T. at the end of the night. Best side stage performance of the day.
    Next up at Paid Dues stage was SLAUGHTERHOUSE. Royce came out first and he started “Sound Off” the way he introduces everyone else in the group. Everyone was there. Either the mics were slightly off or they’ve got questionable mic control because it was a bit hard to hear during some parts which was a bit disappointing. Joe Budden was great as stand up comic of the group making fun of a girl eating a hot dog (through the entire set) while not being able to decide between Slaughterhouse and Mobb Deep on the 36 Chambers stage. I wish they had a longer set time and the mics sounded better. Would LOVE to see them again live.
    Back to the main stage for Nas doing Illmatic. His stage set up was very cool. Big Queens bridge project building facades on each side of the stage with a metal gate in the middle; park bench stage left. Both DJ Premier and Pete Rock were up in the DJ booth. He brought out Mobb Deep. Great set, really captured and presented Illmatic properly like Snoop did Doggystyle last year.
    Saw GZA finish Liquid Swords, but was so exhausted I watched from the back on a picnic table. Ghostface and Raekwon closed the 36 Chambers stage with Only built for Cuban Linx. Capadona came out with them. He was great. They brought up two fans to do Meth’s and ODB’s part from Protect Ya Neck. The girl kinda failed on Meth’s verse but the white jewish looking guy KILLED on ODB’s verse and really saved the song. Very cool moment. After they finished I was tired as hell but we went back to the main stage to see what was left of Lauryn Hill.
    Im really glad I went back. The crowd had REALLY thinned and most had left. I saw her do two songs plus her four song encore and everything I saw and heard sounded great! Her stage set up was awesome. Bookshelves in the background while her band was on their own small round stages. Live video of Lauryn shown on the big screen on stage was in black and white. It was a very retro look and feel. It reminded me of the old Ed Sullivan show the way they’d set up the stage for band. I’d heard that she would turn around and yell things at her band and shout commands, but it looked to me like she was “conducting her orchestra,” like James Brown would do when he would perform live. I thought her band sounded great and on point. I really thought her conducting kinda added to her performance rather than hinder it. Her encore included Fugees songs “Oh La La La” and “Ready or Not.” Sounded fantastic. Then brought Nas out to do If I Ruled the World! This was the best moment at RTB 2011. I’ll never get to see that live again. She ended with Could You Be Loved by Bob Marley. Awesome, awesome ending to what everyone had been saying and complaining would be a train wreck of a performance. After talking to some fans who’d watched her full set, they said she started out a little rougher and it sounded like I caught the better part of her set.

Best performances
    1. Common (because of his band)
    2. Big K.R.I.T.
    Nas
    Black Star
    Slaughterhouse

Another highlight was getting to see and meet several of the performers and other cool people just walking around the festival and enjoying the show. I ran into, Opio, Phesto, Domino, Casual, Blu, Boy Jones (Young DB), Luckyiam, Murs (he was working his merch booth solo in between hosting the Paid Dues stage), Davey D, Pep Love, Flossafee, and Jennifer Johns.
    8/27 Rock the Bells @ Shoreline
    9/1 Amon Tobin @ The Warfield
    9/30 DJ Premier vs. Pete Rock @ Mighty

Wow Rock The Bells sounds amazing. Went 3 years in a row and missed the last three. Hope to go next year. This dropped today

So tight. XXX is all I've been listening to these past few days. Voice takes a while to get used to, but his flow and punchlines are so good.

7/10 Cloud Nothings W/ Metz @ Constellation Room
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium
    7/19 X (Acoustic) @ Pappy & Harriet's
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

old school

So its cool to sound like a mentally handicapped lyricist these days? Wesley Willis is trending I guess.

I really dont know what to think of this song. I dont know whether to hate it or love it
    Friday Lou Reed, Modest Mouse,Beach House,Infected Mushroom, Johnny Marr,Wolfgang Gartner, Four Tet, TNGT, Earl Sweatshirt, Lee Scratch Perry, Dam Funk

Saturday
    the XX, New Order, Knife Party, Violent Femmes, SMD, Major LAzer, 2 Chainz, Danny Brown, Booka Shade, Bingo Players, Pusha T, Trash Talk

Sunday
    RHCP, Nick Cave, Vampire Weekend, Social D, Wu Tang,Eric Prydz, Lumineers, James Blake, Grimes, Raider Klan, Roni Size, Smith Westerns

Quote Originally Posted by wscmx13 View Post
    I really dont know what to think of this song. I dont know whether to hate it or love it
    haha I felt the same way when I first heard it. It's slowly becoming my favorite rap song of the year. Try listening to the rest of the album. Maybe you'll dig it.

The second half of the song just floors me every time.

I didn't even know this was a thing, but it made me chuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

I didn't even know this was a thing, but it made me chuckle
    "Fuck a blog dog cause one day we gon meet/ I'm a spaz on yo ass like I'm on E"

Last edited by WhyTheLongFace; 09-14-2011 at 10:25 PM.

Coachella Junkie

No.

uhm, nah pretty sure that yeah.

After many listens, XXX by Danny Brown is/will be the best rap album of 2011

8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

old school

COOL!!!! there are now 5973 songs about purple items.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    This album is tough for me. I really like some of the songs (Pac Blood, Fields) but then there's the back-to-back horrible combo of Bruiser Brigade and Detroit 187. Like, are these songs completely sarcastic or does he prefer alternating between sounding intelligent and retarded?

Quote Originally Posted by rag and bone View Post
    This album is tough for me. I really like some of the songs (Pac Blood, Fields) but then there's the back-to-back horrible combo of Bruiser Brigade and Detroit 187. Like, are these songs completely sarcastic or does he prefer alternating between sounding intelligent and retarded?
    Ha, Bruiser Brigade is probably the only song I don't like on the album, so don't feel bad about that one. Detroit 187 is tight though. I think he always sounds intelligent, sarcastic, cocky, insecure. He's very multi-faceted which is what I really like about him. Like one song (Blunt After Blunt, for example) is him bragging about smoking blunts and getting bitches. Other songs tell of him desperately trying to cling to sanity and cope with his drug use. He's also funny, yet in most songs you can tell he's panicking when talking about serious shit in his life. Idk, most people seem to not like him just because of his voice but I think it's what adds to the whole drug induced, hostile environment it seems he's been in throughout his years. Definitely an emotionally heavy listen, but it never seems to be dragged out or hard to get through because he also has a sense of humor. Plus, his punchlines are top-notch.

8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    COOL!!!! there are now 5973 songs about purple items.
    Ha!

8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Best hip-hop album is still Kendrick Lamar's Section.80
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

What the fuck are you people smoking? "Bruiser Brigade" is tight as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Porter View Post
    Best hip-hop album is still Kendrick Lamar's Section.80
    "Rigamortus" is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    yup.

Also, it's kind of weird that "Purple Swag" is one of ASAP Rocky's most popular songs. "Get High" and "Toast To The Gods" are both infinitely better.

I genuinely feel like I could have written the lyrics to Bruiser Brigade. And that's saying a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by rag and bone View Post
    I genuinely feel like I could have written the lyrics to Bruiser Brigade. And that's saying a LOT.
    I need some brain I think I lost mine / I'm higher than Swizz Beatz' haaair-line.

The song is hilarious. Dude has quotables for days.

Coachella Junkie

What a lyrical wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    What a lyrical wizard.
    LMAO