Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans are not dead

Default Swans are not dead

COMING SOON, NEW SWANS ALBUM AND TOUR(S)
    The song “Jim” recently added to the playlist is an acoustic demo (solo at home)
    recording by michael gira. this, and many other new songs recorded in the same way comprise many of the new (rough versions) of songs under consideration,
    to be fleshed out on the coming new swans album. a cd of these acoustic versions, as well as a live (2 shows) dvd of m.gira will be for sale very soon as a hand made (by gira) package called I Am Not Insane (CD/DVD). this package – in a limited edition of 1000 - will be sold in order to raise money for the swans recordings/offset the huge costs involved... check back here or at http://younggodrecords.com for ordering details and more information...coming soon...coming soon...

principal players on the swans album are (and there will be many special guests):

Michael Gira / gtr / voice / mendicant friar act (original swans)

Norman Westberg – Guitar (original swans)

Christophj Hahn – Guitar (mid period swans and most angels)

Phil Puleo – Drums, percussion, dulcimer etc etc (final swans tour and most angels)

Chris Pravdica – Bass and gadgets (flux information sciences / services/ gunga din)

Thor Harris, Drums, percussion, vibes, dulcimer, curios, etc etc... (angels, now also with shearwater)

Angels Of Light is temporarily on hold while gira pursues his “new” project...
    http://www.myspace.com/swansaredead

fuck yes.

Default Re: Swans are not dead

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I love you.

Holy motherfuckin hell yeah
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

Wheels Of Cheese

Huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

Fuck yes!!

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Fuck I thought Faust would be this year's Throbbing Gristle. Good times though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

I am so glad that this is actually happening
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Wow, I don't believe this is actually true! Awesome news, thanks!

Have never gotten into Swans. What albums would you guys recommend?
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

just what we need in 2010
    Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Have never gotten into Swans. What albums would you guys recommend?
    Start with Children Of God, The Great Annihilator, and if you're feeling adventurous, Soundtracks For The Blind. Those are their masterpieces. Fuck this is exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Fuck I thought Faust would be this year's Throbbing Gristle. Good times though.
    Could be. I'd like another chance at them since I missed half their set when I saw them.

Start with Children Of God, The Great Annihilator, and if you're feeling adventurous, Soundtracks For The Blind. Those are their masterpieces. Fuck this is exciting.
    Many thanks!

I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

No Cop?
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Their early stuff is kind of hard to recommend to people unfamiliar with the band. It's just so bleak. And I prefer Filth over anything else before Children Of God.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    No Cop?
    I'll check it out as well.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

"Give me women, wine and snuff
    Until I cry out 'hold, enough!"
    John Keats

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Could be. I'd like another chance at them since I missed half their set when I saw them.
    how was it btw and why only half?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014.

I was kind of bitter for the first few songs about missing half of it (it was at some performance space at a school, so instead of the ticket listing the doors open time, it listed the time the band went on) to really enjoy it, but I finally chilled out and it was pretty amazing. They played some classics from the first four albums and a few more improv type things. "It's A Rainy Day, Sunshine Girl" was the encore.

Fuck, I thought they only played new stuff. I really need to see Faust now.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Start packing our earplugs for ATP NY 2010?
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    This better come true...

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    oh dear god. can you imagine a Swans curated event... fuck me sideways... there is no way something that incredible could happen.

I think I predicted something like that god I hope I'm right for once. At least just let them be there
    Re: GayInTucson's illiterate ass

Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    I don't think we'll be hearing from him again. R.I.P

The sex in your soul will damn you to hell
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Late addition to Coachella!

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Late addition to Coachella!
    I could actually picture this as a possibility if GV jumped at the chance. I prayed this would happen. Those early records are so nostalgic for me.

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I could see Swans as a possibilty, since so many Young God bands have played at Coachella before. Maybe not this year, but who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by jr7936 View Post
    i can't see wu tang playing for almost 3 hours though on sunday is the thing
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    Did FYF Sean do this schedule?

Out today:

Frontman Michael Gira is financing the new album with sales of I Am Not Insane, a limited edition CD/DVD package, which features demos of songs that might make their way onto the Swans album.

Gira is now selling I Am Not Insane on the website for his label, Young God Records, and he's making it available for a number of different pricing tiers. For $100 or more, you get to be listed as an executive producer on the Swans album.

Yup, for the rest of your life, you'd get to list "Swans executive producer" on your resume, which would be pretty cool. All the details on I Am Not Insane and its different pricing tiers are here.
    For those of you more interested, the full statement is posted below with a video that's included in this limited CD/DVD package:

This handmade CD/DVD package is being sold specifically to help raise funds for/help defray the considerable costs of recording and promoting the upcoming new Swans album (more on the reactivation of Swans below).

Most of the songs on this CD were recorded by me at home using an Audio-Technica AT 825 stereo microphone, sitting at my desk in my office. There were no overdubs. The first 11 songs on the CD are rough versions of some of the songs (not all) under consideration for the new Swans album (hopefully due Fall 2010). There’s a few extra songs here on the CD - “Promise Of Water” and “Failure”, and they were recorded by Jason La Farge at Seizure’s Palace Recording, Brooklyn NY.

The songs are here in their raw state, as I present them to the band. I have a concept in mind of how each one should sound ultimately, but I’m sure that as usual, once I begin working with my cohorts, things will change considerably from the initial plan, and for the better. I haven’t been as excited (and I admit, intimidated) by a project in years. Let’s hope that whatever beast is created in the process rears itself up on its’ hind legs, swipes furiously at the sky with its’ claws, then bends down and rips my head off with its’ razor teeth. That would make me very happy.

Here’s the Track Listing to the CD (you can listen to some streams elsewhere on this page): 1. Jim 2. No Words / No Thoughts 3. Reeling The Liars In 4. My Birth 5. Little Mouth 6. Eden Prison (That Way) 7. Eden Prison (This Way) 8. My Lazy Clown 9. Opium Song 10. Inside Madeline 11. Oxygen 12. Promise Of Water 13. Failure

Here’s what’s on the DVD:

Frankie Macias came to my house in the Catskill area and filmed me talking in my office and singing a few songs. He also filmed a solo show of mine at The Highline Ballroom in NYC. I spray spit, I scream, I shake.

Track Listing Highline Ballroom Show: 1. I Am The Sun 2. Promise of Water 3. Nations 4. Failure 5. Lena’s Song 6. My Brother’s Man 7. Destroyer 8. She Lives! 9. My Sister Said 10. Sometimes I Dream I’m Hurting You 11. Rose Of Los Angeles

Trevor Grace and D. Fisher filmed my solo show at The Drake Underground in Toronto. I embarrass myself and lamely insult the audience, and put on a good show. James Blackshaw guests on one song.

Track Listing Drake Underground Show: 1. Little Mouth 2. On The Mountain (Looking Down) 3. Promise Of Water 4. Reeling The Liars In 5. My Brother’s Man 6. The Surrogate 7. Destroyer 8. Oxygen 9. Inside Madeline 10. Eden Prison 11. Sometimes I Dream I’m Hurting You

Please do not upload any of the material contained in this package onto the web or “share” it all over the god damn place.

About reconstituting Swans:

As I mentioned in a previous newsletter, there was a point a few years ago during a particular show when I was on tour with Angels Of Light, with Akron/Family serving as the backing band. It was during the song The Provider. Seth’s guitar was sustaining one open chord (very loudly), rising to a peak, then crashing down again in a rhythm that could have been the equivalent of a deep and soulful act of copulation. The whole band swayed with this arc. Really was like riding waves of sound. I thought right then, “You know, Michael, Swans wasn’t so bad after all...” . Ha ha! It brought back – in a flood – memories, or maybe not memories, more a tangible re-emersion in the sensation of Swans music rushing through my body in waves, lifting me up towards what, I can only assume, will be my only experience of heaven. It’s difficult – and probably pointless – to try to describe this experience. It’s ecstatic, I suppose – a force of simultaneous self negation and rebirth. Really, I probably only experienced this a handful of times to such an extreme extent during the entire 15 year history of Swans. All the elements have to align perfectly, and you can’t force it, though you might constantly strive for it. I don’t mean to be too lofty here, but it’s a fact. I’m talking about my own experience of the music (though I’d hope people in the audiences along the way might have experienced a similar episode). When I ask myself if I believe in God, I start to say NO, but then I remember that sensation, and I’m not so sure. So I want more of that, before my body breaks down to such an extent that it won’t be possible any more. So I’m doing it.

Naturally, some of the material for this new record will be songs, centered around the voice and words. Other parts (I’m hoping) will be reaching for what I’ve described above. One thing I want to point out right now: THIS IS NOT A REUNION. It’s not some dumb-ass nostalgia act. It is not repeating the past. After 5 Angels Of Light albums, I needed a way to move FORWARD, in a new direction, and it just so happens that revivifying the idea of Swans is allowing me to do that. I’ll be using what I learned in the last several years to inform the way this new material develops, while carrying forward from where Swans left off with its final album Soundtracks For The Blind, and in particular, Swans Are Dead. If you have expectations about how Swans should be, that’s your business, but it would be a disservice to both of us if I were to make music with your needs in mind, and the music would certainly suffer as a result. In any event, I certainly never thought this day would arrive, but it’s inevitable, it’s here, it’s fate, so I’m succumbing to it.

Helping me in this quest are the fantastic musicians and friends listed below. I’ll enter the studio with the songs, we’ll hash them out together, someone will come up with something unexpected, then that will lead to new ideas, the song will take a different trajectory and the material will grow on its’ own. This is what I’m hoping, anyway.
    Link: http://younggodrecords.com/Releases/Detail.asp?C=2326

Link to the process of creating the artwork: http://younggodrecords.com/Artists/M...ne-Details.asp