Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: professional cameras

Default professional cameras

Well im planning on going this up coming year, but i saw the rules, and it stated that any camera with a detachable lens is considered professional, i have a Canon 30D DSLR, which means that i have detachable lenses, what would i need to do to use the camera at the event, im not professional, just a avid photographer.

-Alex

Default Re: professional cameras

Pray to god. You can probably smuggle it in, but you will get it taken away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hannibul View Post
    It was NOT over when the germans bombed Pearl Harbor!
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '11!

Well, they'll make you take it back to the car. To get it in without worry, you need a photo pass. Getting one is not easy and requires connections.

But if you are already in the fest and they make you take it back to the car, you have to buy another ticket to get back in. They don't let you come and go from the fest.
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '11!

i didn't think about getting caught with it after sneaking it in. That would suck very much.

I believe this person was talking about bringing their camera into the event, which as I said, is a bad idea. :P

But in the campground or outside the event is fine.
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '11!

I saw more than a couple people using SLR's and they didn't appear to have some special photo pass.

I cant imagine it would be fun luggin one around all day especially if you have one with an expensive lens.

It can be a chore and the fear of protecting the lens does happen. During the Rage set, i was very concerned my lens might get hurt.

Haha, into the mosh pit!
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '11!

i was in the photo pit. Right when Rage started, people were flowing over the barricade. i describe it as looking like the poster for 300. At one point i said to a photographer next to me "we are going to die." She nodded to that. So the pit fills up, the 3 songs are over and security says "get the fuck out." They won't let us use the backstage area to leave.

"How are we supposed to get out?"

"You got the fuck in, you can get the fuck out."

i ended up hugging the gate for the next 20 minutes. Protecting my gear the whole time. Kind of freaky.

hey mike , good morning by the way, can a local (big) radio station get a press pass, or does it only come from GV ???? cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

i dunno. i hear stories about all sorts getting turned down. i am fairly confident all has to get GV approval beforehand. So on behalf of you and the station you represent, i would start thinking about how you are going to apply for one. Obviously you're doing the thinking part. The pass makes it a totally different experience (i'm sure you know) and does create a longing to be in the crowd with friends and family, but it fucking rocks for sure.

As always, Ivankay speaks truths, here are my experiences having an slr inside the fest:

1. I snuck it in, but god damn thats a stressful way to do it, wondering if you have the asshole security guard, or the nice one, hoping you hid it well, but not too well (overly hiding stuff makes them dig deeper).
    2. if you bring your slr, you spend too much time focusing on "getting the shot" rather than enjoying the fucking show.
    2.a you also spend too much time making choices about who to see, or what to see, based on getting a shot, or preventing the camera from getting hurt...
    3. people act different when you have the camera, when I was in vip with the slr, absolutely NO ONE would talk to me...granted I look like an asshole, but the HUEGCAMERA did not help...wheras when i was in vip with my point and shoot, everyone was hecka nice, i met more people, and people were way chattier...guranteed I would not have met and had a conversation with the great and amazing lindsay lohan had the camera been out and not hidden in my bag...
    4. ask yourself why you want to bring a camera into the fest, will having the camera enrich your coachella experience, and enable you to remember the absolute total grandeur of the experience, or will you end up seeing the entire festival through the viewfinder, and your only memories of the experience will be those that came from the lens...
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

so with this review i reconsider buying a professional camera and even trying to go that route which i've been thinking of doing for a while now.

slightly off topic but is the slr a good camera, opinions
    ~~~COACHELLA 2007- 2011~~~

Originally Posted by humanoid
    Coachella is much better enjoyed with a sense of absolute freedom...

An SLR is the only camera.

If you've never had one, get a Canon 20D or XTi or something. They are pretty cheap on ebay and if you like it, the lenses will work with the better Canon bodies as well.
    '06, '07, '08, '09, '11!

slr isn't just one camera....SLR is a single lens reflex type of camera....just think that all those expensive looking digital cameras that have removable lenses, those are slr's or actually DSLR's (digita single lens reflex cameras).....pro photographers use them because a) they have better image sensors and higher resolution meaning for better looking shots and shoot in the RAW format, and b) because you can use multiple and faster lenses for the one camera...wide angles, long telephoto shots, prime lenses, better night shots etc....you have a HUGE range of shooting options with a SLR (assuming you also have all the different lenses). I mean for vacations or long trips or if you're REALLY into photography, then a SLR is the way to go for sure...(a nice Nikon or Canon)....but for concerts or a trip to coachella, a SLR type camera is just too much a chore and a hassle....just get a nice small point&shoot camera for smaller trips and/or concerts. I mean to be honest, the only pictures I ever see from Coachella that come from SLR's are close up of bands from the photo pits, and those get boring to look at quick.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    i describe it as looking like the poster for 300.
    tell me you have pictures of that.

also keri, think of a dslr as an old school film camera (which still takes better pics but doesnt have the digital advantages) ... i have a nikon f2 that i lived and died by for 15 years, but the film end of it is a pain (and i have a full darkroom which sounds cool, but it is a bigger pain in the ass the wolfs camera or whatever ) i do agree with what everyone is saying about taking a prosumer camera to a fest, it ruins the fest in some ways, and makes it so much better months later ... it just depends on you and what you want from a festival cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

thank you for the education
    ~~~COACHELLA 2007- 2011~~~

Originally Posted by humanoid
    Coachella is much better enjoyed with a sense of absolute freedom...

Well, they'll make you take it back to the car. To get it in without worry, you need a photo pass. Getting one is not easy and requires connections.
    my buddy had to try to pass through 5 lines before one of the guys let him pass with the camera equipment...he was dreading having to do it for two more days until I told him to just keep it in my locker over night. That saved him a lot of trouble saturday/sunday.

edit: I'm hoping to have my canon G10 by coachella.
    "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

2013 = 12 Coachellas

do it do it do it do it do it do it do it now! say it say it say it say it say it say it say it now!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsidela View Post
    I should smack you in the head but I draw the line at gay bashing.
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    use some common sense you asshats

we forgot the charger for our camera and it died on saturday, and we wanted to take pictures the next day so we just walked in with my canon xti on sunday, the security guy was cool about it.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    hey mike , good morning by the way, can a local (big) radio station get a press pass, or does it only come from GV ???? cr****
    My buddy Curt is a music journalist and has been getting press passes from GV fore the last four years. But they're getting more and more stingy with them; back in 05 he got two press passes AND a photo pass. This year he got one press pass, no photo. I guess GV is really clamping down.

But for Outside Lands? Shit, they ASKED him how many he needed, which meant that I got to go for free! *victory dance reprisal* I love having talented friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

I brought my slr to coachella last year and didn't have any problems at all. The first day I was pretty worried I would be turned down so I hid it under a towel in my backpack. After seeing a bunch of people with slrs i decided to just bring my whole digital set up the next day. By whole set up i mean i had my camera backpack with a few lenses and spare memory cards and camera body. The guard at the gate didn't mind at all and even encouraged me to get some good shots. The same thing happened on the third day. So either I got ridiculously lucky or they are pretty relaxed on still image cameras.

now if I were to try to bring in my 4x5 view camera that might be a different story :P

I call bullshit on applecorre.

GV should clamp down though, the photo pits are the pits.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 12-15-2008 at 01:04 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post

They can be. One of the more challenging things is getting in one for a packed tent or venue and your only entrance is blocked by peoples. If people won't let me through, fine i missed my chance; but most people see your camera and pass and are cool to help you out. Positioning can be a bitch in a crowded pit, but i have noticed an unwritten "rotating" law amongst the picture takers. Since i am an non-pro, i am very courteous of the pros. i don't get in front of their shots and avoid getting in their working space. If i got in a good spot first, i'll do my moment capturing and move on so someone else can take advantage of the decent spot. One thing i have accepted in photography is there are interesting pictures no matter where you are at. Being in a "bad position" can actually turn out pretty awesome. If you are familiar with my favorite Iggy and DP pictures from Vegoose, those were from getting crowded out of or leaving the pit. Going for the pit the first 3 songs can also lose you great position amongst the crowd. Get a little, lose a little.

I have a Canon A-1 slr, and I agree that film > digital, but after being spoiled by digital's instant gratification and ability to shoot nonstop without worrying about film count, I'm still afraid to use it (and my own darkroom would be nice).

As for DSLRs, I didn't bring mine in but I did see people with theirs. I think maybe it's because they were the Rebel-size (for Canon, not familiar with Nikon) and not using a telephoto zoom that they were able to sneak it in. At first i got jealous because I didn't bother doing the same, but then even lugging around my point&shoot Powershot got to be a bit of a pain in the ass so I got over it.

Anyone else see Andrew Kendall's quick video of the pit? http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewkendall/2459283115/ I thought it was interesting. After reading ivankay's recount of the Rage pit, I would've liked to have seen that too.
    Last edited by eudaemonia; 12-16-2008 at 08:32 AM.

I brought in my SLR all three days last year, as well as my little fisheye, no one seemed to give a shit at all. It was great. It sort of enhances the whole experience for me, because I love live music photography, and that's why I do it. But overall security at Coachella is just much tighter than at the other festivals... where they pretty much don't even look at your stuff at all. At least at Coachella they ask you if they can open your bag, and then they might kinda peak inside.

But if you feel in doubt (surely there's going to be at least one bitchy follow-the-rules security guard) just stuff it into the bottom of a backpack. Nobody ever looks through backpacks. You don't have to go through much trouble, just make sure it's not visible upon opening, you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post

Nope, that sounded pretty similar to my situation this year. Unless both of us were seriously that lucky. I'm going to have to doubt that...

But if there's one thing I hate most at a festival, more than porta potties, overpriced food, drunk moshing bros, and scorching weather, it's... the photo pit and the photographers who shoot there.

i was in the photo pit. Right when Rage started, people were flowing over the barricade. i describe it as looking like the poster for 300. At one point i said to a photographer next to me "we are going to die." She nodded to that. So the pit fills up, the 3 songs are over and security says "get the fuck out." They won't let us use the backstage area to leave.

"How are we supposed to get out?"

"You got the fuck in, you can get the fuck out."

i ended up hugging the gate for the next 20 minutes. Protecting my gear the whole time. Kind of freaky.

You know some of us were actually up front in that crowd... just imagine that!

Quote Originally Posted by pancakespancakes View Post
    You know some of us were actually up front in that crowd... just imagine that!
    i saw you. That shit was crazy.

3 of my favorite pictures from the front lines:

i need to do new edits on these.

Hahahahaha memories. And I like how there wasn't a single female to be seen. What side was this on? Stage left or stage right?