Thread: Convenience Charge?

Lurker

Default Convenience Charge?

What's all this 'convenience charge' and 'building charge' or whatever it is?
    Whatever happened to a simple booking fee??

So in effect tickets aren't actually $249 at all, they're more like $280 or so...
    why not just say that?

and what is a convenience charge anyway? Is that for Ticketmaster? Am i inconveniencing them by buying tickets form them or something?

but i bought the tickets anyway so f*ck it.. i'm going to Coachella! Get in.

Default Re: Convenience Charge?

Convenience of ordering online. Simple. Fast. Easy.

I'm assuming building charge is for TM to keep their llights on,
    and thier poop running down toilets.

Call Ticketmaster and ask them to explain their fees. Report back.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Good Days Last View Post
    Convenience of ordering online. Simple. Fast. Easy.

I'm assuming building charge is for TM to keep their llights on,
    and thier poop running down toilets.
    30-odd dollars per ticket for the convenience of booking online?
    Doesn't sound particulary convenient to me.

I've heard of online booking fees but usually only about a tenth of this amount.
    Is this normal in the US?

depending on the event you can only get tickets through tm. smaller gigs will allow you to purchase tix at various record stores for example with a minimal service fee. but to answer your question, yes this is typical in the states. tm has a monopoly on the ticket industry. remember pearl jam tried touring without the help of tm? didn't work out very well. i believe they ended up playing at a state fair at one point because all the big venues refused to host them without using tm.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by longbeach90803 View Post
    depending on the event you can only get tickets through tm. smaller gigs will allow you to purchase tix at various record stores for example with a minimal service fee. but to answer your question, yes this is typical in the states. tm has a monopoly on the ticket industry. remember pearl jam tried touring without the help of tm? didn't work out very well. i believe they ended up playing at a state fair at one point because all the big venues refused to host them without using tm.
    so that convenience charge is the same for all gigs in the US? That's outrageous!
    Ticketmaster in the UK charges an average couple of quid or so (maybe $5?) for booking fees. Mind you, we have quite a few reputable ticket outlets, both online and phone etc, so Ticketmaster only have a portion of the market share.

honestly i'm not sure if it's a flat charge across the board or if it depends on the ticket price but yeah, tm charges a huge convenience charge. the charges on these seemed pretty high even for our standards. that's why when people try selling their tix for over face value they're trying to get back those service charges (within reason).

Lurker

oh well convenience charge, conschmenience charge... I've got my ticket now.. I'll be in the Californian desert in a couple of months.. it's snowing here in London today.
    woo hoooooo

right on! c u there

it was 85 here over the weekend and now it's in the 60's (long beach area not in indio).

Quote Originally Posted by BritAbroad View Post
    so that convenience charge is the same for all gigs in the US? That's outrageous!
    Ticketmaster in the UK charges an average couple of quid or so (maybe $5?) for booking fees. Mind you, we have quite a few reputable ticket outlets, both online and phone etc, so Ticketmaster only have a portion of the market share.
    You hit the nail on the head there...TM has pretty much a monopoly when it comes to tickets in the US. So, putting it simply, they charge that much here because they can.

there is a different convenience charge depending on the cost of the ticket.
    there is a minimal difference if tix are bought at an outlet.

it's pretty much based on the price of the ticket and how TM feels like charging. 3 day ticket is like what right now? $21.xx in service charge, $9.00 in facilities.

A typical concert in the states where the ticket cost $40-50, will yield TM charges around $5-10.

And TM does have a monopoly... and you can't do anything to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mctommy View Post
    it's pretty much based on the price of the ticket and how TM feels like charging. 3 day ticket is like what right now? $21.xx in service charge, $9.00 in facilities.

A typical concert in the states where the ticket cost $40-50, will yield TM charges around $5-10.

And TM does have a monopoly... and you can't do anything to change it.
    Where's your entrepeneurial spirit? He could form a rival ticket company and create a duopoly...

It's a kick in the dick for sure. It's 12 something for one day so I guess it goes by price. Ticket bastard's been screwing us forever, I'm used to it but very unhappy. Think how much they make at 10% of the cost for almost every concert/ sporting event/ major comedy act/ acts and shows for doing something that costs them hardly anything. My guess is someone in washington's got their hand in the pot.

I don't mind the convienence charge but for the three day festival you pay the charge on all three tickets. Like how stupid is that???YOur one person buying ONE weekend pass. Therefore there should only be ONE charge.

Oh well w/e

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Ticketmaster negotiates convenience fee's depending on the venue, band and promoter.

Convenience Charge
    This fee covers costs that allow Ticketmaster to provide the widest range of available tickets while giving you multiple ways to purchase. Tickets are available in many neighborhoods via local ticket outlet locations, our telephone reservation system and ticketmaster.com. Tickets can be purchased through at least one distribution channel virtually 24 hours a day. The convenience charge varies by event and is determined by negotiations with arena operators, promoters and others, based on costs for each event.

Is the convenience charge always the same no matter where I buy my tickets?
    No, the convenience charge will vary depending upon where you purchase the tickets. There is typically no convenience charge when you drive to a box office to purchase tickets. A convenience charge is applied when you purchase from the Internet, phone or ticket outlet (e.g., at your local department store), and this charge may vary depending upon Ticketmaster's local agreements with its venue, promoter and outlet partners.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by TESTIFYTHIS View Post
    I don't mind the convienence charge but for the three day festival you pay the charge on all three tickets. Like how stupid is that???YOur one person buying ONE weekend pass. Therefore there should only be ONE charge.

Oh well w/e
    Breaks down to about 10 bucks a ticket per day which is really on the low end of convenience charges when you add it up it's usually 10 bucks on a 30-40 dollar ticket too.

Banned

It's time to get the molotovs ready. Let the firebombing begin.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Mctommy View Post
    Actually, I've found the TM charges to be $15 lately. And most of the concerts I buy tickets for are $12-$30, will-call or standard mail selected (so shipping is free or nonexistent).

The best alternative to concert ticketbuying is TicketWeb (but that's limited) or a pre-sale direct on the artist/band's website, if you can get it, where I once got charged only $4 for service fees.

I got from the Ticket master outlet and spent 276. I save 6 dollars compared to the online option, however I didn't get the Spin magazine subscription nor access to the micro community

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiCoachella View Post
    Where's your entrepeneurial spirit? He could form a rival ticket company and create a duopoly...
    Not gonna work. There are so many issues you would need to resolve in order to take a chunk out of Tm's monopoly. Among various things, you would need to create a system of distribution that would be reliable and effective, network with hundreds of venues in 50 states, and show them that you can provide better service than ticketmaster.

So far, the only viable opponent is tickets.com and that's in part because they got bought out by the MLB.

i saved $6 by buying at an outlet instead of online.

I paid over $70 in ticketmaster fees, I even paid a delivery charge for the previlage of picking up my tickets at the site, bastards.

Ticketmaster is the worst ticket agency in the world, whenever I get tickets to concerts and festivals etc. I never use ticketmaster becasue their service fees etc. are always alot higher than the likes of Stargreen, Aloud, Seetickets etc. and also your tickets don't seem to come, so your having to ring them up 5 days before the event to ask "politely" where the fuck your tickets are! DIE TICKETMASTER!!!!

Ticketweb UK are owned by Ticketmaster, yet the fees seem to be less. In the UK there is about 10 places doing tickets, and fees can differ by quite a bit. (Seetickets charge a booking fee, then a transaction fee!! - what the hell is the difference?)

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Ticketweb UK are owned by Ticketmaster, yet the fees seem to be less. In the UK there is about 10 places doing tickets, and fees can differ by quite a bit. (Seetickets charge a booking fee, then a transaction fee!! - what the hell is the difference?)
    Seetickets used to be good, then they got popular and way too greedy, never use them any more.

my camping ticket came last week.
    only waited about 2-3 weeks.
    i've never had a problem with receiving tickets promptly.

edit: didn't use any extra shipping either.