Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Fugazi in 2009....

  1. #1
    Member discobotica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Planet Dust
    Posts
    1,371

    Default Fugazi in 2009....

    does anyone believe in miracles? cuz I do....sort of....

  2. #2
    Bambi menikmati's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    North Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    15,060

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    never happening

  3. #3
    Coachella Junkie dorkfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    12,277

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    They'll probably play a couple one-off shows in the near to distant future. Doubt it would be for something big like Coachella. I bet the only reason the Evens played Coachella was because Ian knew that they weren't actually a draw for people. Fugazi, however, would be quite the draw, and he'd never accept that people were spending $100/day to come see his band.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

  4. #4
    Member discobotica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Planet Dust
    Posts
    1,371

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Agreed...Ian is way too righteous. It just wouldn't be fugazi to play coachella. I mean, could you imagine guy performing on the main stage?? I don't think he would want any of that...

  5. #5
    Coachella Junkie paulb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Woods, WI
    Posts
    18,834

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    one day....i really hope so...
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

  6. #6
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Not Unless we get to personally pay them $6 dollars which is what I paid last time I saw them. Ian a is class act. He stayed after the show and talked to fans and Coachella would be way too big a deal for them. The Smiths are more likely to play than Fugazi.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,584

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Quote Originally Posted by futureperfect View Post
    Not Unless we get to personally pay them $6 dollars which is what I paid last time I saw them. Ian a is class act. He stayed after the show and talked to fans and Coachella would be way too big a deal for them. The Smiths are more likely to play than Fugazi.
    This pretty much sums up what Ian has gone on the record saying about reuniting. I can't find the interview where he said it, but I remember him saying Fugazi would never reunite at Coachella, but rather a small independent hall some place where the tickets costed only a few bucks. It really is more likely The Smiths would be more apt to play than Fugazi.

    As for the Evens, there once was a list floating around on here about how much bands in the past were paid at Coachella. I think their appearance only got $600 or something.

  8. #8
    Member T-REV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    289

    Question Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Here's what I don't get...Coachella offered The Smiths somewhere around $5 Million right? Surely they could offer Fugazi ...let's say, for the sake of argument...$200,0000. If they really didn't give a shit about the money, WHY NOT JUST GIVE IT TO CHARITY?! Think of all the good that money could do. I'm all down for this bands righteousness and all, but god damn. All for a few rehearsals and an hour and a half set?! MIND BOGGLING.
    Fuck.

    So it was Patton?

  9. #9
    old school clumsy342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,490

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    God dammit, Fugazi.
    Personally, I couldn't care less about the reasons he wouldn't want to play a major festival. I don't really care about his morals, stances on social issues, religion, or my farts. I love the music.
    Dude should get over himself, and put on a show for us.


  10. #10
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    God dammit, Fugazi.
    Personally, I couldn't care less about the reasons he wouldn't want to play a major festival. I don't really care about his morals, stances on social issues, religion, or my farts. I love the music.
    Dude should get over himself, and put on a show for us.

    Ian Remembers a time when it was about the music and therefore his self righteousness is justified. There is a whole generation out there now that doesnt know the joy of going to shows and getting a ticket for less than $10 or getting a concert shirt for same said price or getting a vinyl 7" for 2 dollars. That is the train of thought Ian Mackaye comes from. Fugazi wont even sell anything but vinyl and cds at their last recent shows back in the early 2000's. I think he wants people to actually stop and make it about the music and Coachella wouldn't be doing that for Fugazi. The fun of Fugazi is seeing Ian and Guy totally kill it in some small theater or warehouse. In this world of downloads, Ticketbastard, and overpriced music Mr. Mackayes views are refreshing and if it hinders them from ever playing Coachella so be it. He shows a since of what the indie scene used to be about which was grassroots D.I.Y. integrity. I think if more of the younger people followed that today then the American music scene especially would flourish and return to the grandeur it had say in the early 90's.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    1,584

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Quote Originally Posted by futureperfect View Post
    Ian Remembers a time when it was about the music and therefore his self righteousness is justified. There is a whole generation out there now that doesnt know the joy of going to shows and getting a ticket for less than $10 or getting a concert shirt for same said price or getting a vinyl 7" for 2 dollars. That is the train of thought Ian Mackaye comes from. Fugazi wont even sell anything but vinyl and cds at their last recent shows back in the early 2000's. I think he wants people to actually stop and make it about the music and Coachella wouldn't be doing that for Fugazi. The fun of Fugazi is seeing Ian and Guy totally kill it in some small theater or warehouse. In this world of downloads, Ticketbastard, and overpriced music Mr. Mackayes views are refreshing and if it hinders them from ever playing Coachella so be it. He shows a since of what the indie scene used to be about which was grassroots D.I.Y. integrity. I think if more of the younger people followed that today then the American music scene especially would flourish and return to the grandeur it had say in the early 90's.
    I could not have said it any better, FuturePerfect. I too agree with Ian's beliefs and try to implement them into my music spending habits, as I think they allow me to appreciate the art of everything so much more somehow because they aren't being polluted by commercialism and exploitation.

    For instance -- totally different band altogether and probably deserving of some flaque here on this board -- but I want to go see the Jimmy Eat World Clarity 10 year Anniversary show for nostalgia's sake. However, the venue they are playing at hasn't opened so tickets have been delayed going on sale for weeks now. In the past week, a slew of good shows were announced in my area at small clubs which don't charge all the service charges b.s., etc. At this point, I am thinking, "What would Ian do?" Something is telling me to check out the 4 awesome shows at the small clubs without being raped by Ticketmaster for the same price of shelling out $40 to see Jimmy Eat World in a sea of screaming highschool girls at some glossy new House of Blues venue.

  12. #12
    Member discobotica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Planet Dust
    Posts
    1,371

    Smile Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    As the creator of this thread, I completely piggyback on what both of you just said. However cool it may seem to see Fugazi at Coachella, it would be so un-Fugazi that deep down inside I wouldn't like it, and it wouldn't feel right. So cheers to them re-uniting at small venues for $6!!

  13. #13
    old school clumsy342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,490

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    I see what you two are saying...
    But I think it is a gigantic pile of bullshit. I can't even begin to think about how to respond.
    .. He doesn't want money? Ok, fine. We'll offer you nothing.
    Is the music important? Ok, then we'll give you a fantastic venue in whic to play it.

    I hate these aging "scene" kids who think that nothing important has happend past their scene. Time goes on. Things change. No one gives a shit or thinks that you're a sellout. If you want to maintain the image of someone who was once a prominent force in music, then put yourself out there.

    Think about it...
    If a tree reforms his band in the middle of the forest and no one is around to hear it, was that tree's band worth hearing again?

    Look at the Pixies. For fucks sake. If you're worth it, and you are important, and want to boost yourself up a bit to the fans... WHY NOT?
    Giving in to a performer's ego is like seeing him as a god. These are not gods, people. These are musicians. And they would be nowhere if not for their fans.


  14. #14
    Member futureperfect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    I see what you two are saying...
    But I think it is a gigantic pile of bullshit. I can't even begin to think about how to respond.
    .. He doesn't want money? Ok, fine. We'll offer you nothing.
    Is the music important? Ok, then we'll give you a fantastic venue in whic to play it.

    I hate these aging "scene" kids who think that nothing important has happend past their scene. Time goes on. Things change. No one gives a shit or thinks that you're a sellout. If you want to maintain the image of someone who was once a prominent force in music, then put yourself out there.

    Think about it...
    If a tree reforms his band in the middle of the forest and no one is around to hear it, was that tree's band worth hearing again?

    Look at the Pixies. For fucks sake. If you're worth it, and you are important, and want to boost yourself up a bit to the fans... WHY NOT?
    Giving in to a performer's ego is like seeing him as a god. These are not gods, people. These are musicians. And they would be nowhere if not for their fans.
    First of all i was like 12 when the first Fugazi album came out. Aging Scene kid? At 33 i still listen to music by and befriend bands in their 20's. Hell I like Smoosh and those girls are talented and are in their teens so your point is irrelevant. No one comes on here thinking that man the 80s or 90s is the only scene that matters. Music constantly evolves. The Pixies and Fugazi are two different entities so how could you even compare the two. Pixies were an alternative rock band who influenced a lot of the bands in that kind of music and beyond. Ian Mackaye was in Teen Idles, Minor Threat, and Fugazi, and in a more folk punk sense The Evens. Difference is all the bands that Mr Mackaye have participated in have had to do with Politics and Morals. Its not ego but lack there of that he is trying to emphasize. If you dont own Minor Threats complete discography go download the song "Cashin In" it was a parody about making a lot of money at shows. You think this guy is being a dick by standing up for what he believes in. He offers to take a 3rd of what most bands ask for and lives a modest lifestyle that he believes in but he is a self righteous jerk because he wont play for your viewing pleasure. Then you come on the board and flame others who have actually seen the band and understand where he is coming from for trying to present some valid point. That is where the true BS lies my friend. In your self righteous ideology that anyone owes anyone anything. Fugazi has fans because of the way they run things and that means doing it on their own terms. They will continue to thrive without extra hype or fancy stages or money.
    Last edited by futureperfect; 12-10-2008 at 09:40 PM.

  15. #15
    old school clumsy342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,490

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Quote Originally Posted by PierogiHead View Post
    I could not have said it any better, FuturePerfect. I too agree with Ian's beliefs and try to implement them into my music spending habits, as I think they allow me to appreciate the art of everything so much more somehow because they aren't being polluted by commercialism and exploitation.

    For instance -- totally different band altogether and probably deserving of some flaque here on this board -- but I want to go see the Jimmy Eat World Clarity 10 year Anniversary show for nostalgia's sake. However, the venue they are playing at hasn't opened so tickets have been delayed going on sale for weeks now. In the past week, a slew of good shows were announced in my area at small clubs which don't charge all the service charges b.s., etc. At this point, I am thinking, "What would Ian do?" Something is telling me to check out the 4 awesome shows at the small clubs without being raped by Ticketmaster for the same price of shelling out $40 to see Jimmy Eat World in a sea of screaming highschool girls at some glossy new House of Blues venue.
    Edit:
    You're kidding, right? Are you being sarcastic?
    Is there a joke I'm not getting, or are you actually serious?
    The more I read that, the more it seems like you're kidding..
    so I'm going to let it go.


  16. #16
    old school westcoastpirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Took
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Sorry but Fugazi would never play for a crowd that could include Paris Hilton and the Hoff, sorry no this will never happen.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

  17. #17
    old school clumsy342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,490

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    futureperfect,

    1. I think it is about the music, pure and simple.
    The point I was trying to make was that the fans are fans because they love the music.
    Who went to see Rage in 07 because of the band's beliefs? No one. People went to see them because they love the music.

    2. I was not directly comparing the Pixies to Fugazi. But don't they both carry that same kind of caliber? That factor that makes them a band that could give a phenomenal Coachella performance? (I think so.)

    3. I'm not demanding that Fugazi perform for my satisfaction. I just happen to think their reasons for not performing are retarded. Thus, interfering with my satisfaction.


  18. #18
    old school westcoastpirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Took
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    What's not to understand? They're a punk band at heart and playing Coachella isn't punk rock. Done.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

  19. #19
    old school clumsy342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,490

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Saying something isn't "punk" is almost the lamest shit you could ever say.

    That would be like someone going around saying: "Oh! That's so indie!", "Yeah, bro! Indie 4 Life!", "I am soooooo Indie", etc...

    lame. shit.
    punk=fine.
    punk trying to be so fucking punk = lamest shit ever.


  20. #20
    Member psychoc&ndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    fugazi, embrace, and minor threat all fucking kick ass. seeing one of those bands perform would be bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If Bob Dylan saved up his jizz for a year, and then molded it into the shape of records, and released it as a limited edition box set, it would top any Rolling Stone list, even if said list was about the top 50 Arabic transsexual rappers of the last 10 years. Robert Plant would probably be on there somewhere too.

  21. #21
    old school clumsy342's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,490

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    thank you, psycho.
    a comment I can get behind.


  22. #22
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    33

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    I remember seeing them years ago, and they made such an impact on me, that I would leave the festival early one day to go pay 6 bucks to see them in a gymnasium down the road if they were performing.

  23. #23
    Member T-REV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    289

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    No one has responded to my question. I've heard some articulate responses, don't get me wrong. But, like I said before, if money is not the issue...and let me be really clear here...WHY NOT JUST GIVE IT TO CHARITY????!!!!!!
    I would love it if I could help out someone with $200,000 if I didn't give a shit about the money. How could one turn down the opportunity to do that much good? If Fugazi was announced, they could come right out and say that the only reason that they're playing the festival is due to the fact that the money would be spent for a good cause. How could they consider themselves compromised of their integrity if selflessness and charity was the main motivation behind playing an hour and a half set at the festival?
    Fuck.

    So it was Patton?

  24. #24
    Member psychoc&ndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    i think his philosophy is that it kind of sucks that people who cannot afford to pay 280+ to get into a festival are hindered from seeing good music just because of the shitty fact of money. he likes to cater to the youth and less fortunate by being accessible to those with little money. which i think is great; it takes alot of integrity to do that kind of thing. but on the other hand, i do agree with your statement. why not use the money paid to him and the band to put towards maybe a free festival with his bands of choice, allowing his philosophy to be put into play. who knows though, im not him, i don't know what he'd have to say, so im just kind of assuming things i guess... fuck it though i like his music, and like to just thank him for that at least
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If Bob Dylan saved up his jizz for a year, and then molded it into the shape of records, and released it as a limited edition box set, it would top any Rolling Stone list, even if said list was about the top 50 Arabic transsexual rappers of the last 10 years. Robert Plant would probably be on there somewhere too.

  25. #25
    Member discobotica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Planet Dust
    Posts
    1,371

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    ok, ok, people.......here's the skinny (imo): it totally would make sense for fugazi to play and give all the money to charity....that wouldn't be the issue. I cite the documentary "Instrument." Every fucking show that they play they either have control over the crowd in a small venue, or the crowd is pitting and getting rowdy, and they stop the goddamn show. Can you imagine them having any kind of control over a coachella audience on any stage?? I just couldn't see that.......Fugazi unfortunately does not equal Coachella........why did I even start this thread??? oh ya, I was dreaming...............

  26. #26
    old school westcoastpirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Took
    Posts
    2,989

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    Saying something isn't "punk" is almost the lamest shit you could ever say.

    That would be like someone going around saying: "Oh! That's so indie!", "Yeah, bro! Indie 4 Life!", "I am soooooo Indie", etc...

    lame. shit.
    punk=fine.
    punk trying to be so fucking punk = lamest shit ever.
    Sounds like you've already got your neon 80s outfit picked out for Sat night at Coachella. Hipsters, everyone wants to be one, but no one will admit they are one.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

  27. #27
    Member psychoc&ndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Reykjavík, Iceland
    Posts
    611

    Default Re: Fugazi in 2009....

    haha westcoast you are awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If Bob Dylan saved up his jizz for a year, and then molded it into the shape of records, and released it as a limited edition box set, it would top any Rolling Stone list, even if said list was about the top 50 Arabic transsexual rappers of the last 10 years. Robert Plant would probably be on there somewhere too.

Similar Threads

  1. FUGAZI PLEASE!
    By T-REV in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 12:18 PM
  2. 2009 UNCONFIRMED/CONFIRMED/RUMORED ACTS:COACHELLA/STAGECOACH 2009....
    By scoop49er in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 8383
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 10:00 PM
  3. Fugazi
    By LunaVC in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-29-2008, 06:25 PM
  4. Together As One 2009
    By Jefferson Blowdy in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2008, 06:18 PM
  5. what if fugazi played?
    By tarum nostaw in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •