Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Excel Help

Default Re: Excel Help

=SUMIF($A$2:$A$4,A2,$D$2:$D$4)

(Assuming first cell is A1)

The dollar signs are important. Get it right in the first cell and then drag the formula down. Those cells you referenced with dollar signs in front of the row or the column won't change as you drag the formula down.

And since I'm assuming you don't just have 3 records, you will want to change the ranges in your first formula before dragging down.

Also, by clicking in the formula bar, it will highlight the color of the part of the formula assocaited with which part of the range.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 08-02-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

Unfortunately it's a little involved to setup and format how you want, it'd take me a while to explain here. In short you'll want to arrange your data in columns with a column header (field name) at the top of each (it looks like you've probably already done that). You'll want to select the data, go to insert, and select "Pivot Table" at the far left if you're running Office 2010 (don't recall other versions).

From there you'll select where you want the table to be located (on another tab is a good idea) and from there, you'll want to drag and drop your fields that come up in the pivot table field list to the row labels, but any values you want to "sum" (which in your case, are awards" will go in the "values" section.

From there you'll click on the the down arrow on the right of the "awards" field bar and select "value field settings" at the bottom. You'll want to then select summarize field value by "sum".

The challenge is then to put the information to be as clean as possible and what will meet your needs, which I can't really explain here.

Microsoft has an ok tutorial:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...001034632.aspx

As an alternative, and what may be easier, is to use subtotals. Instead of the pivot tables, you could arrange your data the same way, select your data, but go to "data" and then select Subtotal (to the right). You'll select "at each change in employee number" use function "sum" and add subtotal to "Awards" (check only the awards box). You'll have a nice organized tally and subtotal of awards by person totalling to the grand total of awards.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Ok, I'll try playing with that. THanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

Pivots would work too, but you'll need to create a separate tab (or place to put the pivot table) and then use a get pivot reference to bring the value back into your reporting data. Too much for what you need. Just use sumif. It’s only one formula and you’ll have your values right there on your existing table.
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

Yeah, or you can use sumif function as Wes mentioned. However if you just want the grand tota/summary of awards by person, that's not as useful as a pivot table or subtotalled table.

Edit: comes down to preference/what you ultimately want the finished product to look like.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I would have done it as a pivot.

Row labels
    Employee number
    Last name
    First name

Values
    Sum of # of awards received

Right click on pivot for table options
    On the display tab, check off classic pivot table layout
    You can use the employee number drop down to just view a specific employee.

Tomato, tamato…
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Disregard...you guys are already there
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Yea, I missed the whole 'she needs a summary table' exchange. Thought she just wanted to add a column in the existing sheet for some reason.

1. Hightlight the table
    2. Insert -> Pivot Table (hit OK)
    3. (In the PivotTable Field List) Drag Employee Number down into Row Labels
    4. Drag # of awards received into Values

Done

Now if you want to see the first and last name in addition to employee number, you will also need to:
    1. Drag First name and Last name down into the Row labels as well.
    2. Right click on the pivot table itself and select PivotTable Options and click on the Display tab
    3. Check the "Classic Pivot Table Layout" box and select OK
    4. You will then need to right-click on the pivot table again, but in two specific spots so it formats OK
    5. Right click on one of the actual employee numbers and UNCHECK "Subtotal Employee Number"
    6. Right click on one of the first names and UNCHECK "Subtotal First name"

Your pivot will look like this:

The only
    Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Yea, I missed the whole 'she needs a summary table' exchange. Thought she just wanted to add a column in the existing sheet for some reason.

1. Hightlight the table
    2. Insert -> Pivot Table (hit OK)
    3. (In the PivotTable Field List) Drag Employee Number down into Row Labels
    4. Drag # of awards received into Values

Done

Now if you want to see the first and last name in addition to employee number, you will also need to:
    1. Drag First name and Last name down into the Row labels as well.
    2. Right click on the pivot table itself and select PivotTable Options and click on the Display tab
    3. Check the "Classic Pivot Table Layout" box and select OK
    4. You will then need to right-click on the pivot table again, but in two specific spots so it formats OK
    5. Right click on one of the actual employee numbers and UNCHECK "Subtotal Employee Number"
    6. Right click on one of the first names and UNCHECK "Subtotal First name"

Your pivot will look like this:

The only
    YES YES YES!

Thank you so much. Worked perfectly.
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

Ok, I have another one. Same project. More difficult to explain so I'm attaching a sample spreadsheet with the desired result for reference.

We have this recognition program here where employees can turn in certificates they receive from customers; when they turn them in, they get entered into a lottery style drawing for cash prizes. For some reason, NO ONE has ever bothered to track how many certificates people have received over the years; nor have the ever tracked how much people are winning. So what I've been doing is combining all of the winnings for each employee (this program has been in existence for seven years) AND combining all of the certificates we've received from each employee over the last seven years.

Now I'm at the point where I have a tally of each employee's certificate count. Seperate from this is a tally of each winning employee's total winnings, plus the number of times they've won. Now I need to combine these lists, so that I have a list showing each employee's certificate count, $ winnings, and # of wins. (See attachment--this is an exact replica of how my spreadsheet currently looks, and underneath is how I want it to look after).

One problem is that whoever the ding dongs were that started this program did a horrible job of recording the participant data; they weren't consistent in how they recorded the employee numbers. When we went through our last merger, new employee numbers were created. They started the program right after, and some employees weren't on board with their new employee numbers, so they insisted they use their old ones. So in some cases, I have employees that have an old badge number listed and nothing else. I realize after this, I'm going to have to do some crap by hand; but I'd like to get as much of the automated stuff out of the way first....especially since there are over 6500 winners and over 36000 participants.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by captncrzy; 08-06-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Are you simply replicating the black upper left table (without changing it) and just adding in the participant total entries into a new column on the right of that data?

If so, a vlookup with new badge number with an iferror and another vlookup on old badge number will do the job.

Stand by for formula for cell H25.
    Saturday

Put this in H25

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(E24,$H$1:$K$18,4,FALSE),(VLOOKUP( D24,$H$1:$K$18,4,FALSE)))
    Saturday

And if you can't look someone up first on New Badge Number or Old Badge Number, I suggest adding a column between H and I with formula =CONCATENATE(J2,K2) in your green table with a CONCATENATE of their first and last name.

(note with the new column between H&I the lookups below change slightly, referring to column 5 for the first two lookups, and column 4 for the last one on name because your lookup column is now one column over)

=IFERROR(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(E24,$H$1:$L$18,5,FALSE),( VLOOKUP(D24,$H$1:$L$18,5,FALSE))),VLOOKUP(CONCATEN ATE(F24,G24),I1:L18,4,FALSE))
    Saturday

I probably should have given you the correct lines for each.

On the black side of the spreadsheet, there are 6800 rows of data (not including the header); on the green side of the spreadsheet, there are 38004 rows of data not including the header (the columns are exactly the same though).

Also, that "needed end result" area is a sample to show how I want the end result to look. It doesn't actually exist.

I was sloppy with a couple things, here's your update. The red reference below is the very last (bottom right) cell in your table you are looking up. If your last row is 6801 for example, change the 18 to that row number. Also, I'm assuming your data (without the header row) starts on row 2? If not, adjust the 2 to be whatever row that starts with.

And my examples are looking up based on criteria in row 24. If you are not going to start in row 24, change that number to whatever row you are working with for the first formula.

The version that looks up by 1) New ID# and 2)Old ID#
    =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(E24,$H$2:$K$18,4,FALSE),(VLOOKUP( D24,$H$2::$K$18,4,FALSE)))

The version that looks up by 1)New ID#, 2) Old ID#, and 3) CONCATENATE of first and last name:
    =IFERROR(IFERROR(VLOOKUP(E25,$H$2:$L$18,5,FALSE),(VLOOKUP(D25,$H$2:$L$18,5,FALSE))),VLOOKUP(CONCATENATE(F25,G25),$I$2:$L$18,4,FALSE))
    Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Also, that "needed end result" area is a sample to show how I want the end result to look. It doesn't actually exist.
    On that note, why not just bring the Total Entries column directly into the existing table you have in A2:G10? That way you just have two tables instead of 3?
    Saturday

That's what I want to do. I don't think I'm explaining it very well and I think my 'sample result' is probably causing more harm than good.

I inserted a column in between H and I. I want want the system to look at the employee numbers in column I, match it up to one of the numbers in column C, D, or E. If there is a match, I want it to move the number from column L into the new column H.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are almost there. Learn VLOOKUP, IFERROR, and dollar signs and they’ll be something you’ll use forever.

Start with 1 VLOOKUP in cell H2. By clicking in the formula tool toolbar, it will bold the portion of the formula you need to select.

=VLOOKUP(lookup_value, table_array, col_index_num, [range_lookup])

lookup_value: the value to the left that you want to go look up in the table. For your first example, you want to go lookup the employee’s New Badge Number (cell E2)
    table_array: select the range of cells in the table you will be looking up this value. The values you want to match those in the lookup value should be in the first column of your selection. (cells I2:L18) (or whatever the very bottom right row is in your data)
    col_index_nu: type in the number of columns over the data is that you want to return. In your example Total Entries was the fourth column over. (4)
    [range_lookup]: Always select FALSE here (no need to explain)

Now, put dollar signs in front of the row or column references you don’t want to change as you drag or copy your formula around. Click on the row/column reference and hit F4 to toggle between dollar sign combinations.

=VLOOKUP(E2,I2:L18,4,FALSE) becomes =VLOOKUP(E2,$I$2:$L$18,4,FALSE)

Get that formula in cell H2. Drag it down and you’ll see that for every record where the New Badge Number matches, the formula works, and where the New Badge Number doesn’t exist (or the old one is the number on file), it will error out. If you can get that far, you are 95% of the way there.

I'll continue in the next post so you can get a head start on that.
    Saturday

What IFERROR does, is return a different value (or formula) if your formula returns an error (like it doesn’t find a New Badge ID because the Old Badge ID is the one on file).

The format is: =IFERROR(value,value_if_error)

Value: You’ll put the entire VLOOKUP formula here VLOOKUP(E2,$I$2:$L$18,4,FALSE)
    value_if_error: You’ll put a new VOOKUP formula here (looking up by Old Badge Number instead). VLOOKUP(D2,$I$2:$L$18,4,FALSE) Notice the only thing that changed is that you are looking up column D instead of column E.

Now in Cell H2 you have this: =IFERROR(VLOOKUP(E2,$I$2:$L$18,4,FALSE), LOOKUP(D2,$I$2:$L$18,4,FALSE))
    Just like you did to test out the lookup based on New Badge Number, drag H2 down your entire list. Now it should return a value for everyone with an Old or New Badge Number on file.

And again, change 18 to be the very last row in your data table.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 08-06-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Saturday

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(D25,$I$2:$L$18,4,FALSE),IFERROR(V LOOKUP(E25,$I$2:$L$18,4,FALSE),"Check That Shit Out"))

3rd condition...in the event there is no match with column D or E.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(D25,$I$2:$L$18,4,FALSE),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(E25,$I$2:$L$18,4,FALSE),"Check That Shit Out"))

3rd condition...in the event there is no match with column D or E.
    Saturday

I think this is going to work. I've got a stupidly long conference call I have to take and then I'll be back.

Awesome and helpful. Thank you!

Also, I think I'm going to take an Excel class. So much I don't know.

Did you need to look anyone up by name, or did new and old badge number cover it?
    Saturday

I have about 1400 left where none of the numbers matched up. Problem is that we have quite a few employees with the same name on the list so I can't really do anything by name and get an accurate result. I am going to send the list of people to our HRIT team and see if they can look up the old numbers in the system and pull their new employee numbers so I don't have to look them up individually. Then I can just repeat the above process. WOOO.

Some jerk added rows to the top of a spreadsheet I link about 30 rows and 40 columns every month. Without having to relink, is there any way to shift all of my formula references down by 2 or 3 rows?
    Saturday

Well, you could make the change manually on the topmost row, then copy all the formula cells and paste them over the cells beneath. Depending on how the formulas work.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

That is true and easy. But my rows are not pointing in the same order as his and most have distinct formulas. May just delete his new rows...or just suck it up and relink.
    Saturday

That was my other question--why not delete the dumb cocksucker's rows?
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    Look, your parenting is yours and Randy's business alone.
    Fans of TheLastGreatMan Accessory Shop

Were they Absolute?
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon