Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Tech Talk

Default Re: Tech Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Does anyone have one of those mobile hotspot things where you can use your laptop to connect to the internet anywhere? If so, what is a good one?

I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling press coverage this fall, so I'm looking for a way to easily upload articles and photos while I'm on the road.
    My Verizon one is awesome. Super fast and great coverage. It's 3G I think and from what I understand a 4g is coming out in a couple of months.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Do you guys know if there's any way to search this thread for TV suggestions? The word "TV" is too short, as is "1080". I'd like to see what you guys have already discussed for good HDTV recommendations. Thanks.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

My advice remains the same. For better color acuracy and (I feel) picture quality, plasma is still the technology to beat. If you plan on hooking your computer up to your tv for extended periods of time, LCD or LED (but I wouldnt buy an LED) is the route to take. Feel free to PM me if you have a budget in mind and I can give you more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

OH. WOW.

I can think of a family member or two or five that would LOVE this. (I think I know what everyone's getting for xmas --- maybe they give bulk discounts?) $199. Drops in mid-Sept.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

That's super badass. Although I wish the pen had nicer ink. Or you could switch it out. Or something.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yes, exactly. Artists can be extremely finicky about pens. I'll try 10 pens before finding one I like. And after all that, I'll have 10 different pens for doing different things. Ball point sketches aren't really what I'd what digitized necessary. I mean, I'll scan them, but I'm probably not going to do anything else to them in photoshop, which I would see this as the primary use. The technology is great though. If this is just a start, I'm excited for one happens later.

EDIT: a lot of artists I know are much more interested in something that works as a portable Cintiq - a light handheld sketchbook size tablet that features the same pressure sensitive as a high end tablet so that they can draw and sketch digitally while on the go. With 3G/wireless access of course. This pen thing seems kind of gimmicky.
    Last edited by Drinkey McDrinkerstein; 08-31-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

So now that Maxtor is no longer, who is making the best HDDs these days?

Also, does anyone use a Thermaltake BlacX Duet Dual Hard Drives Docking Station? Looks pretty slick and I'm just wondering if the drives can remain in the station for extended periods of time or not (heat). Cheers.

Maxtor was never the best HDD maker anyway, so just forget about them. Go with Seagate or WD.

We use Glyph docking hard-drives at work and they're mostly really reliable. We've had two 3-drive docks with 2 or 3 drives operating at any given time for the past 4 years. i keep the drives in continually, but they, the computer, the Digi02, SynchIO and a Monster power converter all live in temperature controlled-quiet boxes. I only very recently had problems with 2 parts - one of the docking units stopped working, which we found out was a problem with early versions of the unit based on the fact that 2 of the 3 docks were wired together and had it fixed promptly. The other problem was that one of my 6 drives, which happened to be a 1TB major BU drive, stopped mounting, but it turned out to be a wiring problem and no data was lost.

So, I'd definitely recommend Glyph for intensive use as I work the shit out of these fuckers - they are NOT cheap though.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

old school

I am running out of space on my laptop so I am seeking to connect it with an E-sata, are the HDD drives you guys are talking about what I should be looking at?

Mmm, what i was talking about is really meant for commercial/studio use. I wouldn't invest in something like that for a laptop. the ThermalTake that Drew pointed out is surprisingly affordable, but i don't know that you need a docking station to connect multiple drives simultaneously. Seagate or WD, as Eric said, would both work fine for your purpose. God for a passport style so you can be on the go with it.
    last.fm

I stay away from pre-config'd external drives. Not only are they considerably more expensive, but they often fail at the controller or otherwise. I would suggest getting the docking station I brought up earlier (which I just bought, btw) or buying an internal HDD and building your own external enclosure (which I have done numerous times...although now with that docking station, I will no longer need to). Just my $.02 on that.

Andrew, with your Glyph deal, how hot do the drives get (and, I admit that I didn't look at it closely because it's too expensive for me and I already got the docking station). I'm thinking of which drive(s) of mine to run for seeding torrents. I can either stick with my internals in my tower (and transfer over the non-seeded data onto the drive(s) I intend to buy and use with the docking station...to make space, that is) or simply seed via the new HDD/docking station setup (if I can do that; heat not being an issue).

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    Maxtor was never the best HDD maker anyway, so just forget about them. Go with Seagate or WD.
    My Maxtor comment was based mostly on my own experience...they were always bullet-proof for me.

Anyway....I've heard nothing but bad things about both Seagate & WD drives, so I'm leary. Does anyone have experience with Samsung HDDs? They seem to be getting fantastic reviews/awards and are very price competitive.

They do get very hot to the touch, but I've not had problems temperature-wise with them. There is a reason we keep them in the quiet boxes, and we keep the studios temperature controlled at all times that the gear is turned on. I transfer a LOT of information between drives and between the two rooms, so it's necessary to have some pretty hardcore data storage.
    last.fm

i've never had problems with either seagate or western digital... seagate seems to be leading the pack for HDDs these days in terms of price and performance.

My 1.5 tb Seagate seems to be pooping out. I've had it for less than a year. It serves as the media hub for my ps3 so it gets lots of use. It gets really hot and movies start to skip and freeze. On the other hand, I have a 1.0 tb Western Digital that I use for my music collection and it works great. I'd go WD.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

I'm buying a new cell phone tonight, because my iPhone 3g is dead beyond dead. Now I just need to figure out what I am getting. Wooooop.

I'm officially no longer an iPhone user. I switched over to Android. Good times.

So Google Music.

Google Music allows users to store their music collections online, for free, and access them from any computer, as well as through Android devices, "without the hassle of wires or syncing." Users can upload 20,000 songs free of charge, in addition to Android Market purchases. Google Music will also offer personalized music recommendations as well as editorial content emphasizing music discovery.
    That seems pretty awesome. Does Apple or Amazon allow this much free storage?
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

How much of your music is legit? Do they address licensing? It seems to me that Google could conceivably come up with a very large database that would be extremely attractive to marketers, record labels, the feds.

The potential loss of privacy seriously outweighs the marginal gain in convenience (for me). Plus, I have yet to find any music recommendation algorithm to more effective than respected friends and other taste-makers in my circle (recommendations from commercial entities often have a marketing motivation behind them). No thanks.

I'd say less than 0.01% of my music is legit.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

Quote Originally Posted by kreutz2112 View Post
    Users can upload 20,000 songs free of charge,
    I guess people like myself with more than 20,000 songs are screwed of this free service.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2014 Coachella FF Team = White Welkers

So Google Music.

That seems pretty awesome. Does Apple or Amazon allow this much free storage?
    iTunes match allows 25k.

Also there is a storage limit I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by ManImCool View Post
    I guess people like myself with more than 20,000 songs are screwed of this free service.
    ManImCool

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    iTunes match allows 25k.

Can you access them with any mobile device?
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

You can choose which folders to "watch". So you don't need to upload the 500 tracks of recorded lectures and/or pimsleur lessons. Also perhaps have 20000 uploaded via Google Music and the rest on a microsd/internal storage. I've been using Google Music for a while and it's awesome. Using it with my LG Optimus S.

Can you access them with any mobile device?
    I do not believe there is an official iPhone app atm.
    Last edited by phonographer; 11-17-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: derp
    2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

old school

So the fucking idiot at my work got a virus call "system fix" anyone help me out with getting rid of this virus?

Sorry to be late to the Google Music discussion, but I've been using Google Music since the Beta stage, and it's pretty fucking awesome. It would be 10x better if I had unlimited data to be able to stream my music, but I'm rarely in a place that doesn't have WiFi readily available.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    iTunes match allows 25k.

i'm not really feeling iTunes match. i was hoping that it would just stream the songs to my phone but it has to download the song to the device to play it. i was hoping to save space with this, but i guess not. :/
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

I do like the fact that you don't have to upload most of the songs for iTunes Match but my library is too big for either service

For those of you who have used Google Music, how long does it take to upload stuff? I thought I heard if you are uploading a lot of content it takes soooooooo long.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    I do like the fact that you don't have to upload most of the songs for iTunes Match but my library is too big for either service

For those of you who have used Google Music, how long does it take to upload stuff? I thought I heard if you are uploading a lot of content it takes soooooooo long.
    Yup... It's took me about 4 or 5 days of constant uploading to put up 10,000 songs. But I'm 10,000 songs in of about 11,500 so I have most of my music library on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    It's really boring when people use this thread to post about their successes.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    ...... hey im not posting anything in here about half raptor half alligator people