Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech Talk

Default Re: Tech Talk

Hey everyone with Android phones (the cool people), check out my Coachella Android app. Had to give Android some attention since clearly Coachella was neglecting it with the official app!! Click here for the free version!

Packed with features, nice interface, apps2sd, the works. Feel free to suggest features and we'll see what we can do!

Best free DVD ripper?
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Handbrake
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Pretty sure some HDDs are coming up on their end-of-life and was hoping that someone in here might have some good testing sw to see just what condition they are in (the aim is that if any are on their lats legs, that I b/u and swap out).

Is this a reasonable approach?

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

I usually just listen for strange or unusual noise from the drive motor. That usually lets me know its time to back up and get something new. Not sure if there is any software out there or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

If you are afraid they might be getting old and fail in the near future then just back everything up. Sync with an external if you have to. That way when they do fail, no problems.

old school

So on my one year old Samsung R580 laptop, the fan(?) has become particularly loud often sounding like it is struggling during game running (starcraft two) but even with simple tasks like being on the internet. Does anyone know what would be up with it?

So no useful tool to check for integrity, then. Okay, got it. Thanks.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Check the manufacturers website. They might have diagnostic software.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Ok so I have a question about these Cloud services. Apple just revealed theirs, and Google and Amazon released theirs a few months ago. What I want to know is this: is the music you upload to your 'cloud' the music you are actually listening to? I mean, if it is, it seems kind of redundant. How many copies of Born Like This do we really need on the internet? However, if it is not (you upload an album to your 'cloud', the cloud recognizes the album and streams it from a localized database (e.g. the iTunes database) and doesn't actually upload any data to a server), I can see there being an issue with quality, bonus tracks on albums, but mainly quality. Discuss.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

For Amazon and Google, I'm pretty sure the file you upload is the one you are listening to (minus any changes they might make to the file). Your point about having multiple copies is valid and probably something they thought about but ignored since storage is so cheap.

For Apple, they are attempting to "match" any mp3's you have with their catalog of songs/albums. So essentially if there is a match Apple only has one copy that is streamed to everyone who has been confirmed to have that song/file.

Of course you are listening to the 256 AAC file that Apple stores and not your copy but afaik 256 AAC is one of the better lossy formats you can have which shouldn't be objectionable unless you have all your music in a lossless format. But if you do I don't think Apple will be able to "match" something lossless like FLAC since there are no tags for it to be able to do so.

In the end, the "matching" system Apple provides is the only thing really different from Amazon and Google's cloud service.

for google and amazon every user has their own copy... this is because google and amazon have opted not to cave on paying the RIAA for the licenses the RIAA claims they need to stream files. in order to safely operate within the law, they have to host redundant copies in order to keep as much "volition" as possible in the hands of users. this inefficiency comes largely from the networked DVR Cablevision case.

apple likely doesn't have to indulge this inefficiency because they appear to have negotiated with the RIAA.

And arent they going to ''restrict'' all the content you can upload to their cloud service as iTunes PURCHASED only?

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

What's being said about the liability for uploading a pirated file to one of these things?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

^ no. In fact, I'm not even sure you will be able to upload to the iCloud. The idea is that all your iTunes purchased library is already there and for $25 / year you have access to everything else you own that it can identify with a tag.

iTunes Match. Scans your songs and matches them with stuff in the store.

edit, I guess anything not matched you can upload.

The service acknowledges a well-known fact - that most music on iPods, iPhones and iPads was ripped or swapped. Apple reached a deal that gives recording companies more than 70 percent of the new fees, addressing a dark secret that has crippled the music industry, and provides them with some economic payback.

"The chances are awfully good that we've got the songs in our store that you've ripped," Jobs said.

Where songs can't be identified - say of bootlegged concert recordings - users can manually upload them to the cloud and gain the same access.

"It allows for revenue to be made off of pirated music in a way that consumers don't feel that's what they're paying for, and that's what I find fascinating about it," Price said.
    Last edited by PlayaDelWes; 06-06-2011 at 04:16 PM.
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Yeah I had read that the iCloud was going to potentially "block" files of "unknown origin" or something ... I was wondering more if it was safe to upload all of one's hypothetical gigs of pirated music to amazon or google
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

The thing I'm most excited about is that now you can mirror your exact iPad image through Apple TV, wheras in the past, only certain content was available to be streamed through Apple TV.

This will allow you to surf the web, play games, and use any app.

Did Apple Just Backdoor Their Way Into the Game Console Market? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Yeah I had read that the iCloud was going to potentially "block" files of "unknown origin" or something ... I was wondering more if it was safe to upload all of one's hypothetical gigs of pirated music to amazon or google
    Considering 70% of the new $25 annual fee will go to the record companies, I wonder if that will give you immunity for being identified as having illegally obtained files as a result of using this service.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Considering 70% of the new $25 annual fee will go to the record companies, I wonder if that will give you immunity for being identified as having illegally obtained files as a result of using this service.
    I think that is the result of the fee. You give them $25, any music you have and upload is now "licensed." Not a bad deal.

I was wondering more if it was safe to upload all of one's hypothetical gigs of pirated music to amazon or google
    A file of unidentified origin can't be demonstrated to be pirated... Well... absent watermarking or some shit.

iTunes can't tell the difference between my ripped CD or a downloaded album.

I don't care for the cloud services (though, i do like that as far as apps and pictures go, they are all synched together now. I have an iphone, ipad, and mac mini, so keeping them all in check is nice...but in any case, i prefer to manually decide what media goes on any given device, so i prolly wont use it much).

I DO like that iOS 5 will now have wireless synching!! woo
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

The thing I'm most excited about is that now you can mirror your exact iPad image through Apple TV, wheras in the past, only certain content was available to be streamed through Apple TV.

I hope you can use this feature with the iPhone.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I really really hope that this works with the HBO GO app. Any time that i've connected it to my tv it just shows HBO's logo and won't play the shows.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

old school

Fucking finally apple! 5 years late but I can now use my smart device as a business sales tool for a point of sale display.

I think its just iPad for now.
    I also like that when ipad 2 came out, they were touting how you could mirror the image with this big ass accessory you connect to it. Now it can be done wirelessly.
    ---
    Err, on second thought, not everyone wants/will have an Apple TV, so i suppose the big ass accessory is still a good option.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGather View Post
    I think its just iPad for now.
    I also like that when ipad 2 came out, they were touting how you could mirror the image with this big ass accessory you connect to it. Now it can be done wirelessly.
    ---
    Err, on second thought, not everyone wants/will have an Apple TV, so i suppose the big ass accessory is still a good option.
    I am still upset that you have to use apple tv but it's a huge step for business that rely on a showroom/ the design industry.

must...have...ipad
    Arctic Monkeys - 10.25.14 - Comerica Theater
    Coachella - 4.10.15 - 4.12.15 - Empire Polo Grounds

Does anyone have one of those mobile hotspot things where you can use your laptop to connect to the internet anywhere? If so, what is a good one?

I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling press coverage this fall, so I'm looking for a way to easily upload articles and photos while I'm on the road.

Has anyone invented robo-tits yet

Has anyone invented robo-tits yet
    Not yet, but while you're waiting, buy a new mouse pad....

14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b