Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 300 of 586

Thread: Tech Talk

  1. #271
    LOLocaust Survivor Hannahrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    stately Rain Manor
    Posts
    17,464

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Hey Jobs? How about next time you don't name a highly anticipated new product something that sounds like an old product being discussed with a Wisconsin accent.

  2. #272
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    I don't think Apple is going to do too well this time. Unless this just bites purchases from their low-end Macbooks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  3. #273
    LOLocaust Survivor Hannahrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    stately Rain Manor
    Posts
    17,464

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Superficial though this may be, I don't think it looks sleek enough to get people excited the way the iPhone did. The border around the screen is awfully wide, and it makes it look already a little out of date. Plus the desktop background they're using looks like what's on every display model computer from any price tier. Why didn't they use one of their stock space-age Snow Leopard backgrounds? They're presenting this very poorly.

  4. #274
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    I bought 6 of them. It will do well, leaving out camera and video was stupid but they know how to sell version2.

  5. #275
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    I just don't really see the point. What's to get anyone to buy this instead of a netbook or a 13 inch Macbook? Tablet PCs crashed and burned because people just don't care that much about being able to tap on the screen unless it's significantly affordable over a laptop. Unless they can bring this thing in cheap, they're fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  6. #276
    Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    aquabania
    Posts
    17,690

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    beat up martin

    eat up martha

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

  7. #277
    LOLocaust Survivor Hannahrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    stately Rain Manor
    Posts
    17,464

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    I just don't really see the point. What's to get anyone to buy this instead of a netbook or a 13 inch Macbook? Tablet PCs crashed and burned because people just don't care that much about being able to tap on the screen unless it's significantly affordable over a laptop. Unless they can bring this thing in cheap, they're fucked.
    I think the goal is that it's something you can sync up with your home computer that is a little more practical for being out and about. Meetings and classes and et cetera. Don't get me wrong, I like it as a product and would love to have one, but it seems like they could have made a few small surface changes (not even hardware changes at all, just a few alterations in the display settings) and it would have made it look like a considerably more exciting product in the still photos that have been released.

  8. #278
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    beat up martin

    eat up martha

    hahaha

  9. #279
    LOLocaust Survivor Hannahrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    stately Rain Manor
    Posts
    17,464

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Wait. 16gb standard flash storage? I fucking have that on my keys. Think I'll wait until they can go above 64.

  10. #280
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Wait. 16gb flash storage? I fucking have that on my keys. Think I'll wait.
    Live in the storage cloud of now.

  11. #281
    LOLocaust Survivor Hannahrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    stately Rain Manor
    Posts
    17,464

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    I'm going to rapidly upload my open hand to your face and then quickly remove it from storage there.

  12. #282
    Member GrossMagic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    1,642

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    16gb is so weak. And you know they are going to charge +100 for 64 gb

  13. #283
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    MLB says they had to create a “whole new experience” for the larger display. There’s the “live game experience”, which looks at scores, and even stuff like the trajectory of every pitch thrown, being able to tap on the ball to see details, or tapping on a person to see their baseball card.

    You can even watch live with your choice of home or away announcers.


    That's awesome.

  14. #284
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    I think the goal is that it's something you can sync up with your home computer that is a little more practical for being out and about. Meetings and classes and et cetera. Don't get me wrong, I like it as a product and would love to have one, but it seems like they could have made a few small surface changes (not even hardware changes at all, just a few alterations in the display settings) and it would have made it look like a considerably more exciting product in the still photos that have been released.
    Can't you do that with an iphone though? Or a macbook?

    Here's the problem I see with this: the market you can expect to automatically buy this are hardcore Apple devotees. For those people they already have an iPhone and either a Macbook or a tower at home. Possibly all fucking three. Aside from just loving new gadgets, what the fuck is their motivation to buy this? They can play with photos, listen to music, watch tv and movies, and browse the internet. Wow. Shit would've been impressive like five or six years ago.

    And for the non-devoted what's the reasoning to buy this step between Macbooks which are already perfecly functional and reasonably compact mobile computers and the iPhones/iPod Touch which can already handle most all those functions? Having a big screen? Being able to tap it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  15. #285
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    and even stuff like the trajectory of every pitch thrown, being able to tap on the ball to see details, or tapping on a person to see their baseball card.
    That's exactly what baseball fans want. Trajectories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  16. #286
    Coachella Junkie HandBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere
    Posts
    8,206

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Perhaps Ive gone curmudgeon, but Im an Apple fanboy and this just doesnt seem very "OMG I NEED THAT" to me.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

    Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

  17. #287
    Coachella Junkie HandBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere
    Posts
    8,206

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Oh and having a netbook does me NO GOOD if I cant play the videos I want to.

    No VLC = eat shit

    Im not paying you dicks $9.99 just because I get a wild hair up my ass to watch Summer Rental
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

    Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

  18. #288
    LOLocaust Survivor Hannahrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    stately Rain Manor
    Posts
    17,464

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Can't you do that with an iphone though? Or a macbook?

    Here's the problem I see with this: the market you can expect to automatically buy this are hardcore Apple devotees. For those people they already have an iPhone and either a Macbook or a tower at home. Possibly all fucking three. Aside from just loving new gadgets, what the fuck is their motivation to buy this? They can play with photos, listen to music, watch tv and movies, and browse the internet. Wow. Shit would've been impressive like five or six years ago.

    And for the non-devoted what's the reasoning to buy this step between Macbooks which are already perfecly functional and reasonably compact mobile computers and the iPhones/iPod Touch which can already handle most all those functions? Having a big screen? Being able to tap it?
    Well, I currently use a Macbook at home, but it's rare that I take it with me during the day because I already have so much fucking shit to carry that I don't really have room for it. A lot of people use a larger Macbook, too. The largest of the MBP line is 17". That's a lot to carry if you're a public transportation user like myself. Sure would be nice, though, to have digital note-taking and internet referencing available during the day. Yes, those are both things you can do on the iPhone, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a fucking phone and quite small for anything other than casual use. Something in between the two would create a nice work surface that isn't too cumbersome to carry around every day, with the added bonus of being able to see a decent amount of what you're working on instead of scrolling or only being able to see part of a document at one time.

  19. #289
    Entry level Alt kitt kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    los angeles
    Posts
    6,081

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    ipad!
    itampon

  20. #290
    Member signmeup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    918

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Perhaps Ive gone curmudgeon, but Im an Apple fanboy and this just doesnt seem very "OMG I NEED THAT" to me.
    same here
    fuck

  21. #291
    old school
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,394

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    From a business standpoint its genius. There better be video in/out.

  22. #292
    old school caco0283's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,129

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Its too big for any ebook fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.


    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

  23. #293
    MENACING Courtney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,889

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Didn't they go bigger on the Kindle too to give more newspaper and large-format capability?

  24. #294
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Oh and having a netbook does me NO GOOD if I cant play the videos I want to.

    No VLC = eat shit

    Im not paying you dicks $9.99 just because I get a wild hair up my ass to watch Summer Rental
    Why can't you load VLC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Well, I currently use a Macbook at home, but it's rare that I take it with me during the day because I already have so much fucking shit to carry that I don't really have room for it. A lot of people use a larger Macbook, too. The largest of the MBP line is 17". That's a lot to carry if you're a public transportation user like myself. Sure would be nice, though, to have digital note-taking and internet referencing available during the day. Yes, those are both things you can do on the iPhone, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a fucking phone and quite small for anything other than casual use. Something in between the two would create a nice work surface that isn't too cumbersome to carry around every day, with the added bonus of being able to see a decent amount of what you're working on instead of scrolling or only being able to see part of a document at one time.
    Isn't anybody who actually intended to haul their computer around with them going to have bought a 13, 14, or 15 inch Macbook? If you bought a 17 odds are you either weren't playing on dragging it around or you demand some performance out of your machine that this thing ain't got. I had a 14 inch Macbook and the thing was absurdly compact and carryable. It was tiny inside my carrying case.

    I dunno, maybe it's just me. I don't see this being too successful for them though. Macbook Air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  25. #295
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    From a business standpoint its genius. There better be video in/out.
    In what way is it genius from a business standpoint? Tablet computers didn't sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  26. #296
    Coachella Junkie HandBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere
    Posts
    8,206

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Why can't you load VLC?
    It's a locked down OS ala the iPhone. Maybe it wont be an issue, but I doubt Ill be able to download and watch AVIs on it like I do with my netbook lappy now.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

    Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

  27. #297
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Christ, I just realized why you can't load VLC on this. It's the iPhone OS. So it's not even a real computer? Everything's just apps? Hmm.

    EDIT: Ha, jinx.

    DOUBLE EDIT: Holy shit, fuck that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

  28. #298
    LOLocaust Survivor Hannahrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    stately Rain Manor
    Posts
    17,464

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Why can't you load VLC?



    Isn't anybody who actually intended to haul their computer around with them going to have bought a 13, 14, or 15 inch Macbook? If you bought a 17 odds are you either weren't playing on dragging it around or you demand some performance out of your machine that this thing ain't got. I had a 14 inch Macbook and the thing was absurdly compact and carryable. It was tiny inside my carrying case.

    I dunno, maybe it's just me. I don't see this being too successful for them though. Macbook Air.
    Yes, for you it worked well. I'm not talking about people in your position. Some of us have recently gone back to school and have to carry several sizeable textbooks at one time. Carrying a laptop on its own is a lot different than carrying one in addition to the eight camels, two cabana tents, sedan chair, palm fronds, and stuck-up princess that some of us may already be hauling. As noted in the paragraph to which you have just responded.

    It'd take more than a good price to get me to try to scrape up the cash for one, though. I'd much prefer it leaned on the computer side of computerphone and not on the phone side.

  29. #299
    old school caco0283's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    5,129

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Didn't they go bigger on the Kindle too to give more newspaper and large-format capability?
    They did which also helps for reading scripts. They went from 6 inches to 9. The ipad is 10 inches i think and supposed to get up to 12 according to stupid rumors. How the fuck am I going to carry that in my pocket....I haven't worn jnco's since the 90s
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.


    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

  30. #300
    Coachella Junkie Monklish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Tech Talk

    I dunno, man. Is a 10 inch flat thing all that much easier to carry than a 13 inch flat thing? Either way you need a bag to carry it, especially when there's a gigantic exposed and very expensive LCD screen on one entire side of it. Personally I've never really understood all this fighting for lighter and thinner within reason. If I have to carry another bag, I have to carry another bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monklish View Post
    Fuck you and fuck Haiti.

Similar Threads

  1. Virginia Tech
    By TomAz in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 875
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
  2. Thread for Me And Pot To Go Va-Tech On Each Other
    By thelastgreatman in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 09:46 AM
  3. A tech. question for P.S.....
    By joebizz in forum Questions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 11:05 PM
  4. Blundered that one...A tech question for P.F.
    By joebizz in forum Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2007, 06:09 PM
  5. HD PS3 questions for a tech
    By canexplain in forum Misc. Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2007, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •